Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Therefore it will never happen.

True, although I think Smith was the 3rd most mocked player last year after Horn/Surtain?

Just now, RLC said:

True, although I think Smith was the 3rd most mocked player last year after Horn/Surtain?

But, he wasn't a LB.  

6 minutes ago, RLC said:

The player most mocked to the Eagles in this draft cycle.

I may be totally wrong but I think he’s too small. Free associating: Nick Buoniconti came out of Notre Dame and a coach (Don Shula) told him that. "Damn, coach,” said Nick. "I’d run through a brick wall for you.”

"Maybe,” said Shula, "but you’d make a small hole.”

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:
team logo

• PHI
    Derek Stingley Jr.
    CB LSU

• PHI
    Jordan Davis
    DT Georgia

• PHI
    Jaquan Brisker
    S Penn State

• PHI
    Sam Williams
    EDGE Mississippi

• PHI
    Chad Muma
    LB Wyoming

• PHI
    George Pickens
    WR Georgia

• PHI
    Cade Mays
    OG Tennessee

• PHI
    Charlie Kolar
    TE Iowa State

• PHI
    Brian Robinson Jr.
    RB Alabama

Very good!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Not a fan of Dean but yeah if Howie spent a first on a LB it would be fitting that he did so on a circus midget LB 

Dean 6'0" 225

1st team all pro Darius Leaonard, 6'2" 229

He is plenty big enough for the current NFL passing game LB.

3 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I may be totally wrong but I think he’s too small. Free associating: Nick Buoniconti came out of Notre Dame and a coach (Don Shula) told him that. "Damn, coach,” said Nick. "I’d run through a brick wall for you.”

As long as I’m quoting coaches’ witticisms, here’s one from John McKay. OJ Simpson carried the ball 35 times for him one game. A reporter asked McKay, "Aren’t you worried he’ll get tired, carrying the ball so much?”

"Why?” said McKay. "It’s not heavy.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Dean 6'0" 225

Leonard is two inches or more taller and has 34 3/8 inch arms. His dimensions aren’t really close to Dean’s except weight. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RLC said:

The player most mocked to the Eagles in this draft cycle.

Would be a home run for me

9 minutes ago, justrelax said:

As long as I’m quoting coaches’ witticisms, here’s one from John McKay. OJ Simpson carried the ball 35 times for him one game. A reporter asked McKay, "Aren’t you worried he’ll get tired, carrying the ball so much?”

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Dean 6'0" 225

No way he’s that big. 5’9”-5’10” and 210. Maybe he skips the combine and only does a pro day. He’s not a big guy. He’s safety size.

Could be wrong, of course. Wouldn’t be the first or even twentieth time.

• Like 1

I do think Lavonte David is a fair comp for Dean, both stylistically and size. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, justrelax said:

It was from his hall of fame speech, and it was his college coach who said it

But, I thank Notre Dame for giving me that wonderful education and for educating me, not only academically but for educating me socially. And for giving me one of my best friends ever, Richie Catenacci, who is here today. But, when the 1962 draft came, even though I was an All-America, my college coach decided I couldn't play professional football. Because the way he described it 'if you tell Nick to run through a brick wall, he'll run through the wall but he'll leave a small hole.' Well coach, I have to tell you that I think today that hole got a little bit bigger.

10 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Reminds me of the story about Bum Phillips when asked about Earl Campbell's failure to complete the mandatory mile run during training camp. I forget the exact quote but he said in effect, "Well, when it's fourth and a mile, we won't give it to him."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Dean 6'0" 225

Im going to guess Dean measures under 6 ft at the combine, he doesn't look 6ft too me, be interesting to see where he weighs at as well, if he comes in at 215 to run fast questions will be raised about his lack of size, if he comes in heavier say around 230 and runs slower than expected or looks sluggish it will raise flags.

I'm just sick of eagles taking players with size limitations or speed limitations or are too fat too move limitations.

Leonard has a couple inches on him long arms and about 10 lbs, those couple extra inches don't seem like much but that's not what my wife told me 😉

We would be very foolish to pass on a 3 down LB like Dean because of 2 inches and 15 lbs

The guy is a monster, he can do it all.

• Like 2

I like Tindall and Wyatt when it comes to GA players .

Big fan of Bonnitto , but 34 olb only IMO 

Going from Fulgham to Devonta would be like going from Singleton to Dean, just think of it like that and forget all about his apparent lack of size

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NCiggles said:

I think there's probably a range in the draft where the value in the late first is similar to the second round.  I think a trade up for a QB is a possibility.  I think some team might want to trade up for a receiver.  I don't think Carolina is going to want to trade up for a QB.  If they think a QB is worth pick 15 or 16 then why not take him at pick 6.   I could see NO trading up for a QB.  They are at 18 and they might give up a future 2nd to move up 3 spots.  

Do we know what the Chargers’ needs are? They clearly don’t need a QB, but it would be nice to explore swapping our #15 for their #17 and then swap again with NO for their #18.

26 minutes ago, downundermike said:

It was from his hall of fame speech, and it was his college coach who said it

Yup and for every nic bunocati there are 20 other guys that don't pan out because they're just too small, or slow or fat or whatever.

It's a great story of over coming odds and adversity and perseverance and stories like his are the exception not the rule.

Having said that plenty of guys littered throughout the NFL with prototypical size or speed height weight that flamed out because  they lacked heart or smarts or just sucked at football so...🤷‍♂️

42 minutes ago, justrelax said:

My problem with Dean is he doesn't look great in coverage, will struggle against TEs, and while he's fast with good instincts, to use a 1st rd pick, you have to get someone who is an all around LB. I think Harris on Alabama will be the better pro.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Dean 6'0" 225

Let's see what he actually measures at the Combine.

The value of the Combine are honest measurements, and the most important thing with testing is to determine whether the weight is honest, or he bulked up for measurements but can't play at that weight.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, garingovt2000 said:
Crushed it in Fanspeak today.  Assuming JD isn't 26.  Guess this draft means we will have to spend $$$ on CB in FA

15: R1 P15 C Tyler Linderbaum - Iowa
16: R1 P16 DL Jordan Davis - Georgia
19: R1 P19 WR Treylon Burks - Arkansas
51: R2 P19 S Jaquan Brisker - Penn State
83: R3 P19 EDGE Sam Williams - Ole Miss
121: R4 P19 LB Quay Walker - Georgia
153: R5 P11 RB Zach Charbonnet - UCLA
161: R5 P19 CB Mykael Wright - Oregon
166: R5 P24 DL Jayden Peevy - Texas A&M

Good Draft, but you are missing the punter from San Diego State in Day 3. 

• Confused 1