Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

@LeanMeanGM

Bit concerned about RG against Tampa’s DTs. But Tampa probably is concerned about the Eagles DTs.  Tampa’s secondary is no better than the Eagles but their LBs are, against the pass.  Tampa hurting at WR.  Not the Tampa that won the Super Bowl last year because of injuries. 

Eagles 27 Tampa 24

Bonus Eagles force a fumble by TB in the 4th.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Looks like it’s not a very good draft  , have to revisit in a couple years , but looks short on talent 

Who cares about the top ten (which is how most pundits rate drafts), Eagles aren't picking there. Bad year to have high picks, you'll have to pay a high salary for a guy that might go lower other years (Giants and Jets of course).

From the Eagles perspective, with a lot of middle round picks, depth is more important than quality at the top.

• Confused 1

Most people in here were raving about Jeramiah Owusu-Koramoah last draft. Hes 221lbs, and only 33'' arms. No one really cared. Everyone wanted him. Why are we hating on Dean?

• Confused 1

Lots of people wanted Davis-Gaither as well. 224 lbs, 31'' arms. Why are we hating on Dean?

• Confused 1

Everyone would have loved Patrick Queen in round 1. 229lbs. Only 31 5/8'' arms. Why are we hating on Dean?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Everyone would have loved to have Devin Bush. Hes under 6'0'' with only 32'' arms. Why are we hating on Dean?

• Thanks 1

Deone Bucannon converted to LB and revolutionized NFL defenses with a whole new LB/S position. He fell of a cliff but was very good for a few years. He was 211lbs at the combine. Why are we hating on Dean?

52 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

Why would we trade Dillard for a 3rd? He’s been good when he’s in there. He just isn’t Mailata. 

The issue is he has 1 year left on his contract. You aren’t going to exercise his 5th year option cause the new rules make it so it’s guaranteed the moment you exercise it. That’s way too much money for a guy who’s never started a full season nor shown he can stay healthy for a full season as a starter. So you have 2 options: 1. Keep him for a year as the backup LT and at the end of the 2022 season he’s going to walk in free agency. Maybe you get a 3rd round comp pick but i doubt they get that. or 2. Deal him at this point and get value for him now. Trust stoutland to work with a mid round tackle to develop. 

• Like 1

Losing one of those front office people for 2 3rds, and trading Dillard for another would be amazing.

We can build back our defense with our first round picks. The 3rd round stockpile would be a great place to find some solid offensive value on luxuries like a TE, a RB, another WR. And youd still have a pick there to add OL depth. Or you can turn one or 2 of those 3rds in to 2nds next year. Which would help a lot in any potential QB trade I imagine.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Who cares about the top ten (which is how most pundits rate drafts), Eagles aren't picking there. Bad year to have high picks, you'll have to pay a high salary for a guy that might go lower other years (Giants and Jets of course).

From the Eagles perspective, with a lot of middle round picks, depth is more important than quality at the top.

That’s Howie speaking.  And by the looks of his top round pick history, I can understand your delusional take.  For the Eagles, this draft is all about those 3 firsts.  Not a 5th round nickel corner or a 7th round rugby player.  Stop. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That’s Howie speaking.  And by the looks of his top round pick history, I can understand your delusional take.  For the Eagles, this draft is all about those 3 firsts.  Not a 5th round nickel corner or a 7th round rugby player.  Stop. 

He changes his stance daily.  

• Like 1

As Jalen Hurts makes history on Sunday becoming the youngest QB to lead this franchise to the playoffs, let's take a look at how some of the other homegrown Eagles QBs have done in their first playoff game:

Cunningham 27/54, 50%, 407 passing yards, 7.5 YPA, 0 TD, 3 INT, 52.0 QB rating, 12 rushing yards & 0 TD.

McNabb 24/33, 72.7%, 161 passing yards, 4.9 YPA, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 90.6 QB rating, 32 rushing yards & 1 TD.  

Foles 23/33, 69.7%, 195 passing yards, 5.9 YPA, 2 TD, 0 INT, 105.0 QB rating, 3 rushing yards & 0 TD.

Wentz 1/4, 25%, 3 passing yards, 0.75 YPA, 0 TD, 0 INT, 39.6 QB rating, 0 rushing yards & 0 TD.

For Hurts I'm thinking it's reasonable to hope for something like 16/26, 61.5%, 221 passing yards, 8.5 YPA, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 98.4 QB rating, 63 yards rushing & 1 rushing TD.  

28 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Most people in here were raving about Jeramiah Owusu-Koramoah last draft. Hes 221lbs, and only 33'' arms. No one really cared. Everyone wanted him. Why are we hating on Dean?

I’m not hating on Dean. I think I made my reasons pretty clear. And Owusu is 3-4 inches taller, which is why I have a problem. You may well be right about Dean but any lb playing behind that DL is going to look good if he’s not dead.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

For Hurts I'm thinking it's reasonable to hope for something like 16/26, 61.5%, 221 passing yards, 8.5 YPA, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 98.4 QB rating, 63 yards rushing & 1 rushing TD.  

So with that stat line you also expect him to be the youngest Eagles QB to lose a playoff game.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I’m not hating on Dean. I think I made my reasons pretty clear. And Owusu is 3-4 inches taller, which is why I have a problem. You may well be right about Dean but any lb playing behind that DL is going to look good if he’s not dead.

I dont know about dean yet. But in today's NFL Im not gonna doubt a LB over size until its proven we have gone too small at the position.

Seems like Shazier was about the first smaller LB who set the trend for the other guys like that to come in to the league and have success. And a lot of people loved him, but there was a little bit of question out there about his size. He stayed in that elite category because of his speed.

He was in the 230s at the combine! That was considered small. Since then, theyve continued to get smaller. To where we have had numerous seriously hyped LBs enter the draft in the 220lbs range. 

The trend has been smaller, an+d faster. Im sure at some point, the pendulum will begin to swing back to bigger. Maybe a guy like Dean will be the first to speedbump these smaller LBs feel where teams start to say maybe we need to start looking bigger at the position.

But... theres probably nothing to indicate that when you watch Dean play. I dont think he gives you any reason to doubt him based on performance. And I dont think recent history gives you any reason to doubt him based on size. That is the modern day NFL LB. 

I did used to doubt some of those guys because I wouldnt see them stack and shed anyone. They would all run around blocks and that was always a no no. But these guys have gotten so fast, they are able to continue doing that against other NFL athletes, without running themselves out of the play. They can get around a blocker and still get to the ball carrier. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So with that stat line you also expect him to be the youngest Eagles QB to lose a playoff game.

Yeah they might lose.  But they could absolutely win as well if the running game is rolling as well. Fact is though you can't look at that hypothetical stat line and look at the comparison of the other first playoff game performances by Eagles QBs and say that is a bad game in comparison.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Yeah they might lose.  But they could absolutely win as well if the running game is rolling as well. Fact is though you can't look at that hypothetical stat line and look at the comparison of the other first playoff game performances by Eagles QBs and say that is a bad game in comparison.  

You’re using the word Fact when talking about someone else’s opinion about a hypothetical stat line.  

Man.  You’re something. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You’re using the word Fact when talking about someone else’s opinion about a hypothetical stat line.  

Man.  You’re something. 

Was guaranteeing a playoff win 3 weeks ago, and now doing damage control before the loss.

• Haha 2

Are the front office signing comp picks tradeable?

@LeanMeanGM

28-24 Eagles. I had a vision.

Bonus: Punt return for an Eagles TD. No vision.  I'm just chewing on a gummy.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

Lots of people wanted Davis-Gaither as well. 224 lbs, 31'' arms. Why are we hating on Dean?

Davis-Gaither was a fourth-round pick. 

Everyone would have loved Patrick Queen in round 1. 229lbs. Only 31 5/8'' arms. Why are we hating on Dean?

Hasn’t been good in the pros. 

Everyone would have loved to have Devin Bush. Hes under 6'0'' with only 32'' arms. Why are we hating on Dean?

He has been a disappointment. 

Deone Bucannon converted to LB and revolutionized NFL defenses with a whole new LB/S position. He fell of a cliff but was very good for a few years. He was 211lbs at the combine. Why are we hating on Dean?

Did being undersized help push him off the cliff?

I have no dog in the fight, but the examples you shared don’t help the argument. 

• Like 1

I forgot to quote HE’s post about Owusu-Koramoah. He had a really good rookie season. He looks like a keeper. 

32 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Are the front office signing comp picks tradeable?

Should be.

Edit: New Orleans traded theirs last year so yes.