Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

28 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

If Sweat is unable to go, we have no shot.  Zero.   And I hope Milton Williams gets the bulk of his snaps over Kerrigan.  I wanna see more Milton.  I think he’s got nice upside.  

You saying Kerrigan doesn’t have upside?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Utebird said:

Riquan Smith is 6'1", Kendricks is 6' but weighs about 235

Dean is I'm guessing 5'10" at around 215-220 that's a short thick safety.

I think a good comparison would be jabril peppers who is 5'11" 215.

I like peppers but he's a tweener, not big enough to be a LB not fast quick enough to be a deep safety, which is fine but limits what one can do with him, I could see dean taking a similar path, which is fine but not something I'd spend a 1st round pick on.

Good comparison but on the other hand, wasn't Peppers mostly a safety at UM and then played more on the line as a LB his last year there?  Dean is a LB...just a small one.  If Peppers is what you get out of him, a fist round pick is too much for him like you said. Another comparison could be Shaq Thompson with the Panthers.  He was a do it all S/LB at Washington.  He's 6' 230 today.  He was taken with pick 25.  I don't watch enough Panthers games to know if he warranted a 1st or not.

Both Peppers and Thompson were hybrid DB/LB in college.  They are what the Eagles hoped Nate Gerry would become.  Dean is and has been a LB and the leader of an historic defense at UGA.  To stand out on a team with that much talent on defense takes special talent.  You could also argue that Dean benefited from a DL comprised of future first round picks and NFL talent across the board.  Going to be interesting to see how he tests and weighs in.

No matter what, he's a stud football player and a leader.  The Eagles need an alpha dog to come in here and lead this defense.

9 hours ago, ManuManu said:

For all of those whining and crying that Bieniemy isn't a HC yet, why doesn't anyone pound the table for Stoutland to get a better coaching position?  I hope he never leaves but funny how you never hear a peep about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

For all of those whining and crying that Bieniemy isn't a HC yet, why doesn't anyone pound the table for Stoutland to get a better coaching position?  I hope he never leaves but funny how you never hear a peep about it.

That could say a lot more about the coach than the people saying/not saying it.  Maybe he’s a lifer O line coach and has no desire to elevate into an OC or HC job. Just because someone is a good position coach doesn’t mean they want to be something more or would be good at a higher position.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

He is 60 years old , what exactly do you consider a better coaching position?  I would argue he has reached the best coaching position he will ever have 

• Like 1

Fox has a cool poster for the Game.  What's crazy is normally this week would be the Divisional Round. 

13 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

image.png.3e73423f9d8db9431e349aa9e7659b03.png

This is what I have so far for predictions. Let me know if there are any mistakes or I'm missing someone.

@RememberTheKoy are you gonna accuse everyone e on this list picking the Bucs of openly rooting against the team ??

19 minutes ago, KINGnabb said:

Fox has a cool poster for the Game.  What's crazy is normally this week would be the Divisional Round. 

Brady v. Hurts

LOL

Thats embarrassing.  

9 hours ago, austinfan said:

Small fast guys who can tackle and cover in college are called "safeties," not "linebackers."

Sure, we need to hit on one first round pick, but we also need to find guys throughout this draft, this is a chance to build a roster, not just fill one or two spots.

Yes, but the way you talk about Howie building the back end of the roster, its almost as if you forget that theres a top end of the roster.  That's the area that Howie has sucked the most.  And I'd add that the 3 first round picks are far more important than those end of the roster options this year.  Yes, the Eagles have a lot of pocks there too, but Howie wont be drafting 10 players.  He'll be flipping some, dealing to manuever with others.  But those top 3 picks are his kryptonite.  Teens and 20s picks dont work out for Howie.  And now he has 3.  If he doesnt hit on 2 picks in the first 2 rounds this draft is a major failure, regardless of what he does in the late rounds... because picking well late never makes up for early round screw ups.  The late round picks are bonuses when they hit, the early picks are the ones that are supposed to be your foundation AND they hamstring the team when they fail, because they get a longer period of time to suck before they are eventually moved on from.

Hits in rounds 4-7 never excuses misses in the top 3. And this year more than any other, Howie (and the Eagles) can't afford to screw it up.  They need hits early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Teens and 20s picks dont work out for Howie.

He hit on Ertz and Dickerson in the early 30s. So he's good at top 10 picks, bad at picks 15-32, but good at picks 33-45? His mid 2nd round hits also include Kendricks, Goedert and Sanders. At this point, Hurts is a good pick at 53 (starting caliber QB play in 2nd round is objectively good). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RLC said:

He hit on Ertz and Dickerson in the early 30s. So he's good at top 10 picks, bad at picks 15-32, but good at picks 33-45? His mid 2nd round hits also include Kendricks, Goedert and Sanders. At this point, Hurts is a good pick at 53 (starting caliber QB play in 2nd round is objectively good). 

The start of this discussion with Afan was about drafting defense.  Kendricks is the only one that plays defense last I checked... and he was a disappointment while he was here, or did you forget that because he played well in 2017?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey @ Bat said:

You saying Kerrigan doesn’t have upside?

The only upside is someone needs to be slapped up side the head for bringing in the ghost of Ryan Kerrigan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Most people in here were raving about Jeramiah Owusu-Koramoah last draft. Hes 221lbs, and only 33'' arms. No one really cared. Everyone wanted him. Why are we hating on Dean?

Acrtually I wasn’t convinced JO-K had a clear fit anywhere. But better height than Dean.

12 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Lots of people wanted Davis-Gaither as well. 224 lbs, 31'' arms. Why are we hating on Dean?

Not a first rounder and the Eagles liked a faster as light prospect in Taylor better.  He seemed to be coming along when injured.  With Stevens as a similar prospect, would you spend a first on Dean.

11 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Deone Bucannon converted to LB and revolutionized NFL defenses with a whole new LB/S position. He fell of a cliff but was very good for a few years. He was 211lbs at the combine. Why are we hating on Dean?

Fell off a cliff pretty quick.

Point is that Dean was protected by a bunch of good players on his team. Height wise, unless we are convinced he is the second coming of Sam Mills, I favor other LBs and quite possibly at a lesser cost.  For example, Quay Walker on the second day immediately makes the team better.  And he can either play MIKE or slide out to the SAM as Gannon seems to envision.  With his size, he can take on OL and not get engulfed like Dean likely will.  I don’t think we can overlook that Dean was probably made better by the interior of the Georgia DL and by other LBs, like Tindall and Walker.  Dean and Taylor would be a problem with their size to be on the field together.   Not so Walker and Taylor.  Or Walker, Taylor and Edwards.  Walker immediately upgrades Avery’s position.  I could easily see him as a SAM. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RLC said:

If you want to have sustained success, you are gonna have a lot of picks 15-32.  

I also hate the splitting the second round into two groups as a way to excuse his failures in round 2.  Once again, if you want to have sustained success, your second round pick is gonna be 49 -62. 

If you want to be a continual playoff team winning games, you have to draft well in the range Howie does not.

11 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

I dont know about dean yet. But in today's NFL Im not gonna doubt a LB over size until its proven we have gone too small at the position.

Seems like Shazier was about the first smaller LB who set the trend for the other guys like that to come in to the league and have success. And a lot of people loved him, but there was a little bit of question out there about his size. He stayed in that elite category because of his speed.

He was in the 230s at the combine! That was considered small. Since then, theyve continued to get smaller. To where we have had numerous seriously hyped LBs enter the draft in the 220lbs range. 

The trend has been smaller, an+d faster. Im sure at some point, the pendulum will begin to swing back to bigger. Maybe a guy like Dean will be the first to speedbump these smaller LBs feel where teams start to say maybe we need to start looking bigger at the position.

But... theres probably nothing to indicate that when you watch Dean play. I dont think he gives you any reason to doubt him based on performance. And I dont think recent history gives you any reason to doubt him based on size. That is the modern day NFL LB. 

I did used to doubt some of those guys because I wouldnt see them stack and shed anyone. They would all run around blocks and that was always a no no. But these guys have gotten so fast, they are able to continue doing that against other NFL athletes, without running themselves out of the play. They can get around a blocker and still get to the ball carrier. 

This is a first-rate argument and I am not competent to say you are wrong. The stack and shed business is my sticking point and I'm glad you mentioned it. I don't think I've ever seen Dean do it. I remember a few undersized LBs on the Eagles who had mixed results - Willie T was pretty good but there was a smallish white guy from, I think, Texas, who started off like a house afire and ended up getting abused halfway through his first season. Can't remember his name.

1 hour ago, Original Sin said:

He is 60 years old , what exactly do you consider a better coaching position?  I would argue he has reached the best coaching position he will ever have 

Not only that but he loves what he does. I'd also wager that he's the highest-paid position coach in the league.

I honestly find it hard to believe that people have watched Dean and don't think he'll be a Pro Bowl level LB.  Every single time Ive watched Georgia he has jumped off the screen, just plays at a faster speed than everyone else.

Si did a good a little article about him recently:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/draft/.amp/nfl-draft/2022-nfl-draft-nakobe-dean-is-a-destructive-linebacker

Look at how he gets through A gaps virtually untouched.  OL barely lay a finger on him

• Confused 1

Interesting concept.  Obviously Steelers take Herbert, Eagles are then on the clock, who would you take ??

I would take Robert Quinn or Miles Garrett.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Oh, he’s real.  My wife watches that goofy crap.  

Are we alone or the rock piles on Mars and the Pyramids in Egypt alien technology?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Interesting concept.  Obviously Steelers take Herbert, Eagles are then on the clock, who would you take ??

Ooh I like that as a fun concept... Hmm let's think... Wentz?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, downundermike said:

@RememberTheKoy are you gonna accuse everyone e on this list picking the Bucs of openly rooting against the team ??

Have they been trying to aggressively argue with anyone that has posted anything positive about the team throughout the season?  Did they go in panic mode down the stretch arguing why they want the team to lose and not make the playoffs? Are they desperate to try to set up bets to give further cover for rooting against the Eagles? 

Get a life.  Every new me tion you creep closer to the ignore list which we know form the old Eagles board sends you into even a bigger mental breakdown. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ooh I like that as a fun concept... Hmm let's think... Wentz?

I would not take a QB, to hard to incorporate into a new offense in a week.  But a premier pass rusher would be huge.  That’s why I went Quinn or Garrett.

• Like 2

Just now, downundermike said:

I would not take a QB, to hard to incorporate into a new offense in a week.  But a premier pass rusher would be huge.  That’s why I went Quinn or Garrett.

Oh bud I was messing! I wouldn't take Wentz. I agree an elite edge rusher for sure. What about Jordan?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Your examples are guys who've been out of the league for like 10 years.  And the one who succeeded is an extreme outlier.

I remember Nate Gerry better. They convert to LB because they can't cover. No thanks. 

Lots of LBs who play LB become great LBs in the NFL. Don't try to be too smart. Just use common sense. 

Except if you watched Gerry in college, he was a downhill S.   He was behind the player and came downhill to make the play.  That isn’t an especially good trait at LB trying to cover receivers because he wasn’t downhill anymore and it showed.  There is some truth to what AFan is alluding to when he talks about S experience, angles in coverage.  And fluid hips.  A good LB covers more like a CB than a downhill S.   I said the moment they drafted Gerry that I didn’t like the pick because he was a downhill S.  I liked other players than Stevens when picked (got Vincent now,  and the player we had just missed on, Gowan, who I suspect Howie was targeting). But I liked the pick better than Mills as he wasn’t strictly a downhill S.   And like Mills, he spent a year on the PS.  Dean won’t have that luxury. 

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I would take Robert Quinn or Miles Garrett.

TJ Watt