EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

Crazy how quickly life can change.  

One second this guy is a young, star athlete and millionaire.  In the blink of an eye all that is gone.  Such a waste.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, greendestiny27 said:

Oh I know you need to build with not only using high firsts. I feel as though using one or maybe two of these firsts to trade back some, snatch up some day two picks in 2022 and beyond would be wise. They will need a lot and cashing in all the firsts sounds fun but it's not going to be enough I fear. 

Pickens, Bell, Burks would bring a bigger more physical presence across from Smith. To me, Herbig/Driscoll are not in the same league as Brooks/Lane. Driscoll I think will be an excellent depth piece who I would have no issues with spot starting, being the top guy off the bench that could play across the line. Herbig could be a good back up. But give me the Brooks, Lane, Kelce types please. Green is very intriguing and he won't cost a top 5 pick, he looks like he has the elite level of talent I want to replenish the older guard with to continue the high level play we have been accustomed to on the offensive line going  back to Tra & Runyan. I could very easily see one of the firsts being dedicated to an o-lineman considering the age, contracts and injury history of 3/5 of the line.

Yeah, it's real easy to pick up multiple pro bowl caliber OL! 😄

Which is why Howie gambled on Dickerson. And gave that extension to Mailata. But you have to develop some solid starters out of middle round picks, only so many top 100 picks you get every season.

Herbig looked solid at RG and he's looked good at center, moving much better since he shed about 20 lbs or so.

We are talking small resources here,  but this is now the third time Howie has traded for a player on their rookie deal who does not have a role on their original team.  Every time, it hasn’t come at a discount.

These are players an NFL team liked enough to draft, then had them in house full time to work with, then said "no thank you”…and we are trading for them at the original price.

32 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The one thing I noticed with Hurts rolling to his right is that he mastered the throw to Smith running straight at the sideline who has to make a circus catch before falling out of bounds despite no defender usually being close. 

He has enough arm strength to be successful, if even for a very short time like Minshew or Cassel, who are both weak armed, they might even have weaker arms than Hurts. 

Hurts doesn’t throw with anticipation, he’s inaccurate, plus he leaves the pocket early to his right, which makes throwing to the left side of the field even harder. Going back to 2020, Hurts combined with Wentz’s poor mechanics especially to the left side of the field and Eagles WR’s on the left of the hash have been screwed for over a year. 

For Hurts lovers, here’s an article from 2017 and his inability all the way back then to throw to the left side of the field. 
 https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/passing-chart-shows-one-area-field-jalen-hurts-struggles-attack/amp/

He has the same issues in the NFL, that he had in college, seeing ghosts is amongst the worst of habits he brought with him to the NFL and he hasn’t significantly improved on anything in his game to this point that would make anyone believe he’s going to be a successful starting NFL QB, regardless of his arm strength. 

4 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

25EE7E83-46B2-4A80-9CB0-A62E16607851.jpeg

Here’s something that wouldn’t surprise me at all…

Ruggs is back in the league before Gruden. 

3 hours ago, austinfan said:

Which is why Howie gambled on Dickerson. And gave that extension to Mailata. But you have to develop some solid starters out of middle round picks, only so many top 100 picks you get every season.

Herbig looked solid at RG and he's looked good at center, moving much better since he shed about 20 lbs or so.

It‘s really the antithesis to Roseman can‘t draft. Feels like any OL pick in any round works. And even if he really really doesn‘t we can still trade him away for some kind if pick.

Maybe we should just use all three high picks on lineman.. Draft Green, Linderbaum and Faalele. Atleast we get some surefire top value there.

Ok, there is Dillard. But even he might not be a total bust, let‘s wait and see.

4 hours ago, austinfan said:

Who said it was easy? It's why I'm specifically saying they should probably use one of the firsts on a o-lineman. I think we can all guess neither Herbig nor Driscoll is one of those types hence the point of drafting another blue chipper. 

14 hours ago, McMahonHeadband said:

well as someone who has a background in physics , velocity is correlated with distance  given the same degree of release.  so the fact that hurts can throw it 60 yards is proof that he has the velocity arm strength to play at this level.  

Okay, you win, he can throw it 60 yards. It just never manages to hit the receiver he is throwing it to. 

7 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I really hope this moron gets the maximum 20 years. They were apparently at top golf drinking the whole night. So I’m guessing top golf is also likely getting sued big time for allowing them to drink that much and just drive home. 

Yep, they'll get dragged in for host liability. They'll have insurance defend them, but they'll be involved. 

The odd thing is....fatality claims are often worth far less than if the person had survived. If they survive and need care for life, it costs far more in terms of settling the lawsuit. 

6 hours ago, eagle45 said:

We are talking small resources here,  but this is now the third time Howie has traded for a player on their rookie deal who does not have a role on their original team.  Every time, it hasn’t come at a discount.

These are players an NFL team liked enough to draft, then had them in house full time to work with, then said "no thank you”…and we are trading for them at the original price.

Other than Vincent, who are the other two?

11 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Oh God.  He was gone.  Why??

You can't have all the fun , bro

12 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I've been trying talk up Chachere as an integral part of this team.  You need your 5-6 core ST guys.  Guys like Chris Maragos, Dameane Douglas and Bryan Braman.  I really think Chachere is that kind of player for them.  He's their best gunner and a leader on ST. 

Why they need 9 CB on the active roster however is beyond me.

Fing wrecking ball. Loved that guy!

Guest justrelax
9 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I did.  AFan cowardly ignored my response.  

You may not agree with Afan (which speaks well of him) but he is no coward. He suffers the slings and arrows of countless bloggers with grace and dignity, neither of which you have.

I should add that it is not cowardice on my part that will cause me  to refrain from responding to whatever bile you spew in response to me; it is that I have you on Ignore. I only posted this because someone whom I do read quoted you. Afan has been a pillar of the Blog since you were in diapers, as you may well still be.

11 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Gowan, Avery

Forgot about Avery. Not sure why you’re counting Gowan since he was traded along with a 5, so we have no idea what his value was in the trade. 

While it's fun to dunk on Howie, I really see no problem in trading 6/7th round picks for lottery tickets. 

Just now, ManuManu said:

Forgot about Avery. Not sure why you’re counting Gowan since he was traded a long with a 5, so we have no idea what his value was in the trade. 

Perhaps apples and oranges, but the widespread rub on it was that Ertz was basically traded for a 5 and a 6.  You could go with that or I suppose you could say Ertz was traded for a 5 and a player was just tossed in as filler.

Either way, value on these trades is questionable.

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

While it's fun to dunk on Howie, I really see no problem in trading 6/7th round picks for lottery tickets. 

Would you buy a scratch off lottery ticket that already had one of the boxes scratched off for more than the original cost?

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Perhaps apples and oranges, but the widespread rub on it was that Ertz was basically traded for a 5 and a 6.  You could go with that or I suppose you could say Ertz was traded for a 5 and a player was just tossed in as filler.

Would you buy a scratch off lottery ticket that already had one of the boxes scratched off for more than the original cost?

If the ticket cost a nickel now instead of a penny originally? Sure, why not take that chance. 

6 hours ago, eagle45 said:

For the sake of argument, I think at this point in the season the team has a good sense of what the 2022 draft class is going to look like in terms of depth.  It's also projected to be a larger class.  Using one of their 11 picks on a player they like now isn't giving up much because of the depth of the class and potential UDFAs. So a 6th round pick in 2022 won't have substantively better chance at making the team than an UDFA in 2022.   I think in a season when you are trying to add young talent trading for a rookie makes sense.  The Eagles had no 7th round pick so if they wanted to trade for him it was going to cost something and it's not like a 2023 7th would have been worth it for Denver.  Howie or his scouting department saw that Vincent was on the roster as a 7th round pick in Denver but not getting an opportunity to contribute.  I am sure he had a scout that liked him and sold him on the idea of seeing if he was available.  I mean this isn't a franchise altering deal unless the outcome is that Vincent turns into a very good starter or but for this trade the Eagles could have selected the next Tom Brady with that pick in 2022.  

7 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Good observation.

Unironically, Avery outproduced the expectation of a 4th round pick. It was a good trade from a "value" sense, yet we all hate it.

2 hours ago, greendestiny27 said:

Who said it was easy? It's why I'm specifically saying they should probably use one of the firsts on a o-lineman. I think we can all guess neither Herbig nor Driscoll is one of those types hence the point of drafting another blue chipper. 

Pretty sure they will draft one OL in the 1st round.  Since AR this team has been sold on the idea of building out from the lines, OL and DL.  OL has a bit more on the roster to work with.  DL is getting long on the teeth and a high pick is in order before the some will fall off.  

6 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Not to defend the Avery trade, but he had flashed as a pass rusher as a rookie. Still bad value, and pretty much all of us said that at the time. 

Vincent is weird considering he hasn’t shown anything and they passed on him nine times.  

Gowan was treated as a filler IMO, maybe worth a 7. 

I don’t really care about how they spend 6/7s. Those picks are lottery tickets and they were traded for other tickets. Avery was just weird. 

6 minutes ago, RLC said:

Good observation.

Unironically, Avery outproduced the expectation of a 4th round pick. It was a good trade from a "value" sense, yet we all hate it.

In fairness we hate everyone 

Archived