EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

No.  He was down by contact and already touched by a SEA defender before the ball came out.

Actually the rule for QBs now is that when they dive they are down as soon as the elbow or knee hits the ground.   It bit us when he dove for a 2 point conversion and his knee hit down (untouched) before reaching the goalline.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Wow, what a unique idea, playing the players you drafted.  I am not convinced sitting and developing works so this is a good development.  Like I pointed out, Toth, Dillard and Herbig all got snaps in the PAT/FG protection.  Scott and Ward were in almost half of the ST snaps. Live snaps can’t be duplicated in practice.  

Counter point.  By playing the guys you drafted it took snaps away from guys like Scott and Ward.  I agree, play them, let them learn by live fire.  

1 hour ago, greend said:

Did that change? I seem to remember us winning a game against the Giants a few years back because Eli did the same thing.

Yes.  Fairly recently... 2015 or so maybe.

Just now, bpac55 said:

Counter point.  By playing the guys you drafted it took snaps away from guys like Scott and Ward.  I agree, play them, let them learn by live fire.  

And how is that a bad thing?

27 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

LOL.  It's fun to watch them quit on the team, then come back later talking about the depth of their fandom.  

Meh.  Fan is short for 'fanatic'.  Don't judge a fan for the heat of the moment reaction to the game as it happens.  Judge the fan on the cold calculated comments in the offseason, the days between games, etc.   In the heat of the moment we've all had issues.

26 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yes. It used to be a QB is "down” where he starts a feet first slide but head first still left him susceptible to fumbling if the ball came out when going down head first. Now he is down where he starts to give himself up either way, but don’t ask me how they differentiate between a forward slide and a QB sneak. I have no idea. 

College rules for 'down'... elbow, knee, etc. 

41 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Some enterprising class action attorney is preparing a lawsuit as we speak against the NFL based on deceptive marketing tied to their automatic renewal program and a failure to deliver services that will be fought on the basis of their terms of service. A friendly jurisdiction will be sought and terms and conditions amount to contracts of adhesion where any ambiguity is construed against the NFL.  

5) Availability: The availability of the Products may be affected by a variety of factors, including game delays or cancellations, application of the National Football League's broadcast policy (which prohibits broadcast of football games under certain circumstances and in certain areas), technical problems or network delays, program rescheduling, or other reasons. In addition, please note that the content accessible via the Products may vary based on your geographic location and viewing platform. You agree that we are not obligated to provide you with any specific content under this Agreement.

As I see it, this statement fails in the face that they don’t market the Game Pass as "we may offer”.  Coaches film was available when I first purchased Game Pass.  My renewal was automatic despite them not having it available. The issue they are going to have is it is available, to teams.  They had a platform that delivered it.  They can revert to it.  I think they don’t get a summary judgment on this one as this statement flies in the face of basic contract law in that the bargain included the Coaches film.  But their communication on this matter has been abysmal.  

So do the people that need it for work at least get it?

I'm curious how many people will wait vs canceling 

34 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I agree.  I tried the GDT a few times and it becomes a crap show at the first incomplete pass with a few meaningful posts blended in (typcially by bloggers).  I'm just better to watch and come back here later.  

I like being on here while watching because there's likely something I missed during a play. I usually hear about injuries on the board

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Ward got plenty of snaps for the #4 WR.  I liked that.  I was surprised at no offensive snaps for Scott and the limited amount of throws to the RBs.  But I also believe that there are aspects of the offense we haven’t seen yet.  

2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

And how is that a bad thing?

It's not.  I was just replying to BE's comment.  I've been very vocal in how happy I was that the Eagles played their best players rather than using rotation after rotation.  If that comes at the expense of Scott and Ward, fine by me.  Give the ball to Smith, Reagor, Watkins, Sanders, Gainwell, DG and Ertz while also letting Hurts do what he does best.  

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

So do the people that need it for work at least get it?

I'm curious how many people will wait vs canceling 

I like being on here while watching because there's likely something I missed during a play. I usually hear about injuries on the board

Canceling gets you nothing past seven days.  No refund.  

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

Ward got plenty of snaps for the #4 WR.  I liked that.  I was surprised at no offensive snaps for Scott and the limited amount of throws to the RBs.  But I also believe that there are aspects of the offense we haven’t seen yet.  

I wasn't, he's a jag

Matchups you're looking forward to most this Sunday?  Bosa vs Mailata 

Also noticed Armstead is battling a groin injury and limited in practice and Kinlaw might not be able to play on Sunday either

8 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Also noticed Armstead is battling a groin injury and limited in practice and Kinlaw might not be able to play on Sunday either

Bosa is as big of a test that Mailata will have this year

1 minute ago, garingovt2000 said:

Shanahan vs Gannon.

SF will be a bigger challenge than Atlanta.  Will Gannon be able to slow the Niners down enough to give us a chance to win the game.

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

It's not.  I was just replying to BE's comment.  I've been very vocal in how happy I was that the Eagles played their best players rather than using rotation after rotation.  If that comes at the expense of Scott and Ward, fine by me.  Give the ball to Smith, Reagor, Watkins, Sanders, Gainwell, DG and Ertz while also letting Hurts do what he does best.  

But this is not true.  If anything they used more rotation than in a long time.  They rotated Gainwell in for Boobie.  Ward and JJAW got 16 snaps each.  We saw some Stoll.  On defense there was a steady rotation on the DL and even some at LB.  heck even Marlon T and T. Jackson got snaps.  About the only positions not rotated were S (probably because of the Epps injury) and CB.  

Ward played 14 snaps I believe.  He had no targets.  I've been a Greg Ward supporter his whole time here.  I know you're a big fan of both Scott and Ward but if you don't have to rely on those 2 guys like the Eagles had to last year then that's a great thing.

I want Smith catching 7-9 balls a game.  Reagor 5-6.  Watkins 4.  TE's should get about 6-8 targets while the RB should get around 5-7.

I think having Hurts run the ball about 4 times seems safe if they are smart about it and then another 20-22 carries for the RB.  15-17 for Sanders and 5-7 for Gainwell.  

Those are your guys.  That's who I want getting the ball.  Sure there are going to be times that Ward, Scott, JJAW, Stoll get the ball assuming the rest are healthy, there shouldn't be relied on like the past.  

21 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Him and Ward just get hated on so much. It’s ridiculous. 

Hate?  They played a big roll in the 2019 run and made some memorable plays.

But they are also limited.  Why not try to raise the bar at RB2 and WR3?

th?id=OIP._lSrZlj9eOPgK0BTAXmudQHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=299&h=169

5 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Don't buy that since Kelce had his hair bleached prior to week 1.

Kelce literally said it but ok. He dyed it like 3 days before the game.

12 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Him and Ward just get hated on so much. It’s ridiculous. 

You misinterpret.  There's no hate, there is recognizing them for what they are and have been.  They have been miscast as major contributors for an NFL team.  They are not that guy.  They are just a guy.  They are desperation level players where if the team has to rely on them to win games, you are in survival desperation mode.   Think about it... when did they come on to the scene?  They came on to the scene at the end of the 2019 season, when everything was going down the tubes, and this team turned to them and turned it around... by beating the dreck of the NFC East to win the division and make the playoffs.   Then they got a bigger role for all of 2020.  4 wins.  Yes, there were lots of other factors, but when you are relying on these players to 'make plays', you are in a bad way.  Comparing them to players like Robert Davis or Deontay Burnett makes them look like giants!  But, that's because those guys have NO BUSINESS on an NFL roster, including PS, frankly.  Scott and Ward are great PS players, and they are players that you can plug in in a desperate situation and they can make a couple plays here and there.  But, there's no DC that will be kept up about matching up with them, or defensive player that has a moment's hesitation about having to cover them/tackle them.   They are guys that you can go around the NFL and grab another #4 WR or #3 RB and flip them and lose nothing. And putting them in roles of #3 WR (Ward was the leading receiver last year, btw) and #2 RB is just setting the team up for failure.  They are JAGs.  No hate, just an acknowledgement.   Then, you see the frustration that some folks have with the organization for not upgrading them and trotting them out like they did in 2020 and telling us that they were not JAGs.  The animosity is with Howie, et al, not with the players themselves.   I'd love to watch a game with Greg Ward and Boston Scott.  I just don't love watching them in the game being counted on to make plays consistently.  

2 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Bosa is as big of a test that Mailata will ever have

Chase? Von Miller?  Sweat?  Bosa’s  brother, Bosa? I like Nick Bosa but has he made it all the way back from his injury? 

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Don't buy that since Kelce had his hair bleached prior to week 1.

Howie and Ertz seem to have made up.  The agreement was probably, look, we need you for the time being and from Ertz's standpoint, he seems to really like this new team/regime so he is no longer playing sourpuss.  It's possibly he is traded near the trade deadline or if someone throws a crazy offer at us before then.

But this is not true.  If anything they used more rotation than in a long time.  They rotated Gainwell in for Boobie.  Ward and JJAW got 16 snaps each.  We saw some Stoll.  On defense there was a steady rotation on the DL and even some at LB.  heck even Marlon T and T. Jackson got snaps.  About the only positions not rotated were S (probably because of the Epps injury) and CB.  

I'm only talking about rotation on offense.  I'm perfectly find with rotating fresh d-lineman in to the game.  

I'm fine rotating just 2 RB.  You also have to look at when they rotate in and out.  There's using your substitutions wisely and the rotating just for the sake of it.  It just felt much more natural the way they used Sanders and Gainwell on Sunday.  It helps keep the rhythm going too.  In the past it felt like there was a new player in on every single play.  

In 2020, Boston Scott played 34% of the plays and Greg Ward played 70%.  That's too much for both of them but the Eagles didn't have much choice. They Eagles have better players now.  I'm not taking away from either of them.  They can both serve a role, but it should be minimal.  Play your best players.  

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

I'm only talking about rotation on offense.  I'm perfectly find with rotating fresh d-lineman in to the game.  

I'm fine rotating just 2 RB.  You also have to look at when they rotate in and out.  There's using your substitutions wisely and the rotating just for the sake of it.  It just felt much more natural the way they used Sanders and Gainwell on Sunday.  It helps keep the rhythm going too.  In the past it felt like there was a new player in on every single play.  

In 2020, Boston Scott played 34% of the plays and Greg Ward played 70%.  That's too much for both of them but the Eagles didn't have much choice. They Eagles have better players now.  I'm not taking away from either of them.  They can both serve a role, but it should be minimal.  Play your best players.  

Yes.

Archived