EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

As far as Wentz, he's looking like the same guy he was in Philly since 2017. That injury reduced his mobility to the point where he's no longer a threat to make chin dropping plays.

Which doesn't make him a bad QB, but his average accuracy negates his size and big arm to some extent, same with his mediocre "touch."

I think Reich will get the most out of him, but his tendency to hold the ball, and his decline in elusiveness will make him a sack target without an elite OL, Indy has two top linemen in Kelly and Nelson, but they're average on the edge. Plus, Indy has below average skill players, and that will force Wentz to hold the ball longer than you'd like.

My prediction is he'll be what he was here from 2018-2019, somewhere in the 10-15 range among starting QBs. A guy you can win with, but who won't carry a team.

My hope is he stays healthy enough to hit the 75% mark and carry Indy to a 8-9 record.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

I think a healthy Nick Bosa is as good as any of them (or close to it).  Maybe Chase is a notch above. Good call out.

I did the condensed game of the 49ers game last Sunday.  While not the coaches game tape that Game Pass says I get, it does have easy play, pause, rewind capabilities and as I watched Bosa I can say he did not look like pre injury Nick.  I was surprised that Detroit held up well against that DL.  Eagles need to avoid the penalties this week but I think they are able to do well.   My point was as much to point out some of the challenge that Mailata faces this season. 

1 minute ago, DEagle7 said:

What we do with 3 first round picks has to depend on what Hurts does no?  If he crashes and burns I could see consolidating to nab a QB. If he's wishy washy then I can see hedging our bets and using them for future draft capital in what could be a better QB class. If he establishes himself as the guy and we look like a competitive team then maneuver however you need to to get BPA. 

If Hurts is just average then I’d be upset they don’t get a QB in the first round next year

Praying that he’s the one because that would be absolutely awesome if we could use those picks for the defense and Oline

4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I did the condensed game of the 49ers game last Sunday.  While not the coaches game tape that Game Pass says I get, it does have easy play, pause, rewind capabilities and as I watched Bosa I can say he did not look like pre injury Nick.  I was surprised that Detroit held up well against that DL.  Eagles need to avoid the penalties this week but I think they are able to do well.   My point was as much to point out some of the challenge that Mailata faces this season. 

Oh for sure. I didn't watch any tape/highlights of the 49ers game so was just working off of an assumption. If Bosa doesn't look like he's back yet, Mailata's "true test" will be the other Bosa or Chase.

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

If Hurts is just average then I’d be upset they don’t get a QB in the first round next year

Praying that he’s the one because that would be absolutely awesome if we could use those picks for the defense and Oline

Only caveat there is that this year's QB class is murky.  LOTS of time left for someone to establish themselves but if they don't I'd rather give Hurts some leash and load up in 2023 than reach for the best of bad crop of QBs.  

Agreed really hoping Hurts is it because that makes it all so much easier.  Here's hoping. 

26 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Sorry, that's not a lot to read.   It's not possible to have an intelligent conversation, if you can't read an argument. 

But, what you just defined is a grocery clerk, not a JAG in the NFL.  A JAG in the NFL belongs in the NFL, but as a minor role player who gets elevated on occasion as desperation sets in.  A JAG is not a guy who has no business being on the field, like Jamon Brown.   JJAW elevated his game this year to JAG status.  Before then, he was also a guy who doesn't belong on the field.  At this point, he is actually making positive impact or neutral impact, not negative impact.  

If you wish to engage in a conversation, let me know.

Noted…

1 hour ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

If we end up with 3 1st round picks, I don't see us making 3 selections. A trade would likely happen to move up, for a player, or for future capital right? Would be very tough to re-sign all 3 players in 2026.

I would like for them to use at least 2 in the first round. Some of my thought process depends on where all 3 are.

If they are all late I'd rather they use 2 to trade up and then use the late 3rd pick where it stands . 

If they are early to mid then use 2 trade 1. 

I'm sure the will be all scattered then Idk. Just spit balling lol

Actually, by definition, a JAG is a replacement level or slightly above player.

That is, a guy who can be easily replaced in the offseason (during the season you may be forced to play below replacement level players, like the Phillies).

Guys on your PS are usually below replacement quality, or someone would claim them and put them on their 53 man roster. One key to success is identifying players you can stash on the PS and coach up to JAG or better status.

24 minutes ago, austinfan said:

As far as Wentz, he's looking like the same guy he was in Philly since 2017. That injury reduced his mobility to the point where he's no longer a threat to make chin dropping plays.

Which doesn't make him a bad QB, but his average accuracy negates his size and big arm to some extent, same with his mediocre "touch."

I think Reich will get the most out of him, but his tendency to hold the ball, and his decline in elusiveness will make him a sack target without an elite OL, Indy has two top linemen in Kelly and Nelson, but they're average on the edge. Plus, Indy has below average skill players, and that will force Wentz to hold the ball longer than you'd like.

My prediction is he'll be what he was here from 2018-2019, somewhere in the 10-15 range among starting QBs. A guy you can win with, but who won't carry a team.

My hope is he stays healthy enough to hit the 75% mark and carry Indy to a 8-9 record.

Ideally he plays 75% and they finish something along the lines of 5-12

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

This is a joke.  Right?

Mostly. Howie has been reputed to ignore his scouts' advice in the earlier rounds. Regor(sp?) and JJAW are recent examples.

2 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

No way this goes poorly

This is somewhere between cringe and pathetic that other fanbases do this

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

It is not about re signing them in 2026, it is about signing them in 2022.

Eagles currently have 9 million in 2022 cap space with 36 players under contract.  Basing it off the 2021 numbers, if we had the 5th, 15th and 25th pick, the cap hit for 2022 would be 11.1 million.  So we currently do not have the room to sign 3 first rounders, and that would only get us to 39 players under contract.  Then you have to sign the rest of the draft class.

Yes, I understand we have 9 million to roll over, and this is before the Cox extension and Mailata extension are figured in.  Be curious to see where the Eagles are after those are updated on OTC.

There is no scenario where the Eagles do not sign a first round draft pick.  

29 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I can't argue about Ward vs. Hightower and Fulgham.  There's a reason they are on the PS and Ward is on the roster.  So, we are in agreement there.

Decided to test my hypothesis on just finding a #4 WR that would fit in just as well as Ward on other NFL rosters.   Checked Texans and Lions for reference... randomly selected bad teams.   

Texans - #4 WR is Anthony Miller. 
Lions - #4 WR is Quintez Cephus. 

Granted, neither is a return guy... then again, frankly, neither is Ward.  But, I'd take either one of them over Ward, but I think its fair to say that this team wouldn't really be losing anything in making the swap.

I think I would take the #4 on almost every team in the league over Greg Ward.

I am an optimistic guy, but we really do end up overrating our own players all the time.

I mean just look at the east. Would people really take Greg Ward over Cedrick Wilson, Kadarius Toney and Adam Humphries?

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

There is no scenario where the Eagles do not sign a first round draft pick.  

Currently, the Eagles do not have the cap space to sign 3, plus the rest of the draft class.  And that is before we see the Mailata contract.  If the Eagles have to shed veterans to sign 3 first round picks to replace them, what do you think that will do to the product on the field ??

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Currently, the Eagles do not have the cap space to sign 3, plus the rest of the draft class.  And that is before we see the Mailata contract.  If the Eagles have to shed veterans to sign 3 first round picks to replace them, what do you think that will do to the product on the field ??

Improve.

And while it looks like an issue to you, I guarantee Howie is not at all concerned with how he is going to sign next year's draft class.

59 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Trade down to the lower rounds where Howie listens to his scouts.

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

This is a joke.  Right?

Has to be, 2015 - 2019 the Eagles had 17 day 3 picks.  3 of those 17 players are still on the roster.  

Just now, pallidrone said:

I think I would take the #4 on almost every team in the league over Greg Ward.

I am an optimistic guy, but we really do end up overrating our own players all the time.

I mean just look at the east. Would people really take Greg Ward over Cedrick Wilson, Kadarius Toney and Adam Humphries?

Hopefully we don't have to worry about ward anymore.

Players like Ward tend to get overrated when he is actually the best player on the field at that time. 

I like Ward a lot and I think he played well for what we had and how he was just thrown in there. 

That being said now that we actually do have players better then Ward and I don't have to worry about him being the best player I could not care less about him. 

I really don't see anyone pounding the table to get Ward on the field so far this year because he isn't needed. 

40 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Yup, I fear the Colts win the division at 7-10 while Wentz just misses 70%.

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Improve.

And while it looks like an issue to you, I guarantee Howie is not at all concerned with how he is going to sign next year's draft class.

Really ??  You expect NFL rookies to improve the team over say, Graham, Cox and Brooks for example ??

In regards to signing the draft class, Eagles have 9 million in 2022 cap room, 18 million if you roll over all current available cap.  It will take most of that to sign the entire draft class as it stands now, and then they will only have 45 players under contract with all the cap space used.

Archived