EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

14 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Cedrick Wilson has more potential and upside over Ward. Ward is a decent route runner and can catch usually the ball but has no other way to go. He is not overly athletic, he is not overly fast and he is not big enough to fight with LBs over the middle consistently. He really is the definition of a JAG player.

Look Ward is here and the Eagles like him for some reason but I think his position is the most easy to upgrade. He is here most likely in case he has to return kicks or punts.

Hell Cedrick the Entertainer has more potential than Ward

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest justrelax

Watched the first half again just to see how Hurts did with the pocket.

He had 27 called passes. He threw the ball 24 times.

He left the pocket six times.

He "stood tall in the pocket" 20 times. This included a few subtle adjustments within the pocket..

He had one batted ball. He had one read-option for 13 yards. He ran out of bounds.

He had three scrambles for 24 yards, all in the two-minutes drill. His decisions on these scrambles were quick and decisive. One of them was called back on a penalty.

He took no hits on the RO or the scrambles.

He rolled right and threw twice, both complete. The second was the TD to Goedert. Worth mentioning on that throw was that when he released the ball there was a defender between Goedert and the path of the throw. However, the defender had his back to Hurts while Goedert did not. It was an amazing intuitive throw. He threw Goedert open.

I may have missed something and I am still fuming about not having the All-22.:furious:

10 minutes ago, greend said:

Hell Cedrick the Entertainer has more potential than Ward

What about Cedric Yarbrough 

4th WR on the teams with some of the better receiving corps in the NFL:

Bucs: Scotty Miller

Cowboys: Cedrck Wilson

Chiefs:  Byron Pringle

Bills: Gabriel Davis

Titans: Cameron Batson? Chester Rogers? Nick Westbrook-Ikhine?

Vikings: ?Chad Beebe, KJ Osborn?, Ihmir Smith-Marsette?

Broncos: Tim Patrick

49ers: Jauan Jennings?, Trent Sherfield? Jalen Hurd?

Rams: Desean Jackson on paper but in reality Tutu Atwell

Dolphins: Lynn Bowden Jr? Jakeem Grant?

Seahawks: Freddie Swain?

Are there better #4 options than Greg Ward in there? Absolutely.  But its not like even most of these high end receiving corps have studs at #4 either.  Plenty of role players.  

35 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I get where you at coming from and I know how this team has been but, I think 4th receiver is a good spot for him. It's nice to not have to rely on guys like that. Right now we don't. Not to many teams can even go 3 receivers deep let alone a guy that plays well when called upon from the 4th spot. 

Define 'well'.   Ward as the leading receiver (receptions) last year was a downright disgrace for this franchise, same with Fulgham leading the team in receiving yards.  

Is there another team that has had a leading receiver at 53 receptions that led the team since the 1980s?  
Another team that has had leading yards gainer at 539 yards (not counting the Eagles of 2019)? 

Ward is a guy... not a good depth player, but a depth player.  

I mentioned that I'd take multiple #4 WRs over him... I looked up two randomly on bad teams (Texans and Lions) and would jump at either of them over him in a heartbeat.  

37 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

As I said, there are some better 4th WRs out there but then again there are teams where Ward would be the #3.  There is swap and there is street pick up.   Let’s say next year, day 3 the BPA is a receiver that is better than Ward, take him. Ward should always be working to make the roster and someday he won’t. 

Agreed.  I would have used this cut down day and the PS expansion to kick the tires this year on some of those guys... but it is what it is.

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Nah, he's got sausage fingers

29 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Ward is here because he's cheap, reliable, and there's more important holes on the roster to worry about at the moment that need to be addressed with either draft capital or salary cap space.

Agreed.  Which is why I suggested roster cuts as potential replacements.

3 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Are there better #4 options than Greg Ward in there? Absolutely.  But its not like even most of these high end receiving corps have studs at #4 either.  Plenty of role players.  

I think Ward has a fairly limited ceiling but he's ok.  I think the team will continue to draft receivers to add to the position. 

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Is he willing to quit his Deputy job? I think the correct answer is Cedric "Cornbread" Maxwell.  

6 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Targets come into play , last year 

Miller was targeted 53 times for 501 yards

Ward was targeted 79 times for 419 yards

1 minute ago, Original Sin said:

I'm not arguing that some of these guys aren't definitively better.  Miller and Patrick stick out to me as clear upgrades.  

My point is even looking at the top receiving groups there are lot of  unproven mid round rookies, role players and JAGs.  Like leangreen said yea Ward could absolutely be upgraded, but it's far from a priority when you look at what other NFL teams have

37 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

It's crazy to even be concerned about that. It's a total non issue

This time last year the discussion was about them being 30 mil over this year. 

10 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Of course.  That's what a #4 WR is.  But, I prefer to have a younger WR in that spot with potential to get better, not a guy who has hit their ceiling... unless this is a contender, then a vet that can spot start is valuable.   Greg Ward is 26 years old, and likely has maxed himself out as a WR.   I'd prefer a 22 year old with some upside.   Personal preference... and putting Ward to the PS enables them to bounce him on gameday, if they desire his 'contribution'.   This is a case of me hoping to maximize the current PS rules to get the most benefit for unearthing a potential future contributor.  The odds are long on finding one.  But, that doesn't mean they shouldn't try.   Fulgham was a scrap heap pick up and he actually ended up leading the team in receiving yards... with only 4 or 5 starts.  Which shows just how pathetic this receiving corps was last year.   Things are looking up with the top 3 this year though... so most of this is a moot point.

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Agreed.  Which is why I suggested roster cuts as potential replacements.

I think next year they will actively look to do that. He's on a ERFA deal this year, I don't think you are going to get cheaper and better. He's also the "veteran" receiver on the team for whatever that's worth. I see no way they can tender him at even the right of first refusal next year when he's a RFA.

1 minute ago, DEagle7 said:

I'm not arguing that some of these guys aren't definitively better.  Miller and Patrick stick out to me as clear upgrades.  

My point is even looking at the top receiving groups there are lot of  unproven mid round rookies, role players and JAGs.  Like leangreen said yea Ward could absolutely be upgraded, but it's far from a priority when you look at what other NFL teams have

Agreed.  I am still dealing with the PTSD of him as the #1 WR on this team.   Having him around just triggers those memories.

4 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Do you think there was a discrepancy in QB play between the Eagles and Bucs last season? I would take Scotty Miller over Ward.  I mean if Ward had Scotty Miller's speed he would be the 2nd or 3rd WR.  

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Greg Ward is 26 years old, and likely has maxed himself out as a WR. 

But he's reliable. You know he'll make himself available and he'll make the catches that you'd expect a WR to make. He's not the most talented, he doesn't have the best burst etc but he's reliable. I think with this group of WRs that's a fairly important trait.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

I think next year they will actively look to do that. He's on a ERFA deal this year, I don't think you are going to get cheaper and better. He's also the "veteran" receiver on the team for whatever that's worth. I see no way they can tender him at even the right of first refusal next year when he's a RFA.

Less than the cost of a cup of coffee.  He's still a QB turned WR.  Davonta Smith has been playing WR longer than Ward, even if not at the NFL level.  But, Davonta Smith his freshmen year at Alabama was a better WR than Greg Ward has ever dreamt of being.

6 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Ward is the devil they know which is preferable to the devil they don't. There are many young WRs in FA that may have higher ceilings than Ward - and may not - and they could possibly produce satisfactorily if called upon - but may not. They know what they have with Ward - he's the 4th WR - they have more important concerns - move along.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But he's reliable. You know he'll make himself available and he'll make the catches that you'd expect a WR to make. He's not the most talented, he doesn't have the best burst etc but he's reliable. I think with this group of WRs that's a fairly important trait.

Not any more.  With this group of WRs... you are looking for more than that.  Smith is 'reliable' and he's just a rookie.  I am SUPER impressed by him.  They have 'reliable' in Ertz and Goedert.  They don't need 'reliable', they need weapons.  That's why it was so refreshing to go a full game and not see him targeted or attempting to return punts.  We need to develop the younger, more talented WRs, not use those reps on a guy with limited upside.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Not any more.  With this group of WRs... you are looking for more than that.  Smith is 'reliable' and he's just a rookie.  I am SUPER impressed by him.  They have 'reliable' in Ertz and Goedert.  They don't need 'reliable', they need weapons.  That's why it was so refreshing to go a full game and not see him targeted or attempting to return punts.  We need to develop the younger, more talented WRs, not use those reps on a guy with limited upside.

See I love Smith but he's not yet reliable. I'm sure he will be but it's still very early days. Reagor is a guy who will flash at times but he's not a reliable guy. Watkins needs to be schemed to play. So no I don't yet think we are ready to go without a Ward type WR.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Really ??  You expect NFL rookies to improve the team over say, Graham, Cox and Brooks for example ??

In regards to signing the draft class, Eagles have 9 million in 2022 cap room, 18 million if you roll over all current available cap.  It will take most of that to sign the entire draft class as it stands now, and then they will only have 45 players under contract with all the cap space used.

Howie will kick the can even more, as we likely have more space 2023 and beyond.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Yeah - I think your missing his value at this point. The young guys with upside are now your front line guys. It makes total sense to have a veteran back up (reliable depth) working on the scout team (defensive quality control). 

Archived