EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

So good value for a #1 pick, a #4 WR with potential.  Ouch.  Huge reach considering the top three WRs and other values at positions more at need for the giants. 
Fine, we should spend more to improve our #4 WR.  Brown was a #3 draft choice.  

Humphries is on a one year prove it contract to show he can be healthy.  When he is good, he is very good but his issue has been availability.  I hate to say it but Samuel plus Humphries equals 1 WR because of the combination of consistency and availability.

Toney could flop or progress, who knows? You assume he has more potential than Ward.  The NFL is littered with failed first round WRs.  I liked Toney as a late second day, third day pick not as a first.  Because he is a crap shoot player.  He’s comp is probably Josh Huff.

LeanMean tagged it right, there are greater needs than upgrading our #4 or #5 WR. 

You are trying to compare value and why the Giants drafted him in the first. It is simple why they drafted him in the first - Gettleman is a moron. 

He still is the #4 on that team and he has more potential, skill and everything then Greg Ward does.

All I am saying is that most #4 WR on most teams are way better then Ward and I would rather the team have a young, unproven player with potential to improve then Greg Ward on the team right now. Give me KeeSean Johnson. Give me Keke Coutee. How about Antonio Gandy-Golden?

Is Treveon Grimes healthy again?

However I do agree that LM is right - there are greater needs and more fun things to argue about then Greg Ward.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It is really good to hear that Epps is back in practice and seems to be ready to pass the concussion protocol. We definitely need him back and ready to go on Sunday. 

I'm not so sure that we do.  But good for him. 

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

I'm not so sure that we do.  But good for him. 

Why don't we? We need depth even if you are happy with the 2 starters. 

22 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Why can't I set my sights on all of the JAGs?  I'm very disappointed that the team didn't look to add cast offs from elsewhere to look to upgrade our weakest spots.  

Well, I figure the castoffs that would be most desired would be those on first contracts.  Curious who you saw that drew your attention.  Any on PSs that maybe should be poached later this year?  I usually don’t start PS shopping until the last quarter of the season. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Why don't we? We need depth even if you are happy with the 2 starters. 

He started and he terrible. If hes back he probably starts and,  he's terrible. 

Good for him.  Not for us. 

32 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

image.thumb.png.c78f06fa8cf18b9f3beac867f97d45f0.png

If Emmanuel Moseley doesn't play then that 49ers secondary will be Falcons bad.  The 49ers pass rush will help with that though. 

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

What about Cedric Yarbrough 

What about Cedric from "Bob and Cedric" from Seinfeld? 

image.jpeg.8d0b650d6133f3b0a14d0fa411bf7858.jpeg

Was you talking to me??  

5 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

You are trying to compare value and why the Giants drafted him in the first. It is simple why they drafted him in the first - Gettleman is a moron. 

He still is the #4 on that team and he has more potential, skill and everything then Greg Ward does.

All I am saying is that most #4 WR on most teams are way better then Ward and I would rather the team have a young, unproven player with potential to improve then Greg Ward on the team right now. Give me KeeSean Johnson. Give me Keke Coutee. How about Antonio Gandy-Golden?

Is Treveon Grimes healthy again?

However I do agree that LM is right - there are greater needs and more fun things to argue about then Greg Ward.

Keesean Johnson?  Slow, mediocre hands.  In the league longer than Ward but unproven?  Word is that Gandy-Golden has not looked good.  The unproven thing about Coutee is whether he can ever remain available.  Also in the league longer than Ward.  I am all for kicking tires but those are retreads.  Grimes might be an interesting exchange for K Johnson on he PS when/if healthy.  Basically an UDFA like Ward was but some possibilities.  

But that kind of goes to the point I was making to @Iggles_Phan  I wouldn’t mind any young upgrades but didn’t really see any that intrigued me in the cut downs.  There are positions on the PS that I hope to see churned.  

Eagles 31 - 49ers - 20.  I think our O-Line matches up well with their depleted D-Line... I worry about their LB's but CB is to inexperienced although I hear Lenoir has looked good for them.

TD's

Sanders - Rush
Hurts - Rush
Goedert - Receiving
Watkins - Receiving  

I love the fact that smith is an introvert. Seems very humble and grounded. Doubt you’ll see any Instagram stories of him with gold teeth, jewellery and some blingy suv . Means he has more time to study the game and could be why he’s such a good route runner, clearly puts in the work mentally to improve himself on the field 

you get the impression these guys work really hard and have a great work ethic 

The SF secondary is hurting, and Kinlaw had tendonitis in a knee, if he can't go or go very long, the run game will be there. Dj Jones and Kevin Givens are the backups.

Bosa is coming off an ACL last September, and probably won't be 100% until the end of the season. And it was more extensive than a simple ACL:

"San Francisco 49ers standout defensive end Nick Bosa is scheduled to undergo surgery to repair a torn ACL and cartilage damage in his left knee this week in Los Angeles, sources told ESPN."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29979622/sources-san-francisco-49ers-star-de-nick-bosa-surgery-week-repair-torn-acl-damaged-cartilage

Bosa, Armstead and Ford are a good pass rushing trio, but Lane should also be much better with the rust off, and Mailata, well, he'll probably lose a snap or two but also dominate a lot of snaps. And Bosa and Ford are road kill against the run lined up against Mailata.

30 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Meh. PSU running backs.  

I was being sarcastic cause there’s one person on here who stated the eagles should give up all Their picks to get barkley cause he was a surefire hall of famer 

42 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Meh. PSU running backs.  

I know you hate penn state but Noah Cain (who is the current starting RB) will be productive in the league if he stays healthy. 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's why I said to put him on the PS.  Don't need him on the 53 for what you are suggesting.

You're assuming he would have no other options and / or would be willing to sit on the practice squad for less money. I'm sure his agent could find a roster spot for him on one of the other 31 teams.

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

Well, I figure the castoffs that would be most desired would be those on first contracts.  Curious who you saw that drew your attention.  Any on PSs that maybe should be poached later this year?  I usually don’t start PS shopping until the last quarter of the season. 

I can't address that... and the same with the WR position.   I don't have the luxury of following all 31 other teams like I do this one.  

As for the PS shopping, they didn't have to shop the PS and hope to get them to accept the contract.  The waiver claim after the cut to 53 would have sealed them coming in.  KeeSean Johnson was one name, but ultimately, that's not something I can answer.  What disappointed me was that they really didn't bring in anyone.  Maybe they put in a bunch of claims and they just got sniped by the top 5 teams ahead of them, but I doubt that it would have been many.  

This is a lament without a preference.  It is more along the lines of don't be fooled by what you've seen by Ward.  He's not going to get much better than he is.  he regressed as a punt returner (or at least was more exposed the more he was back there), and the same is true of him as a WR.  Basically, slot only, not very big and strong for blocking or ST purposes, not fast for ST purposes as a gunner.  At LB... not many names for me to throw out there... but the corps is so weak, hard to believe there's not someone worth kicking the tires on.  

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

But that kind of goes to the point I was making to @Iggles_Phan  I wouldn’t mind any young upgrades but didn’t really see any that intrigued me in the cut downs.  There are positions on the PS that I hope to see churned.  

Point is that those positions are limited versus adding to the roster.  

1 hour ago, garingovt2000 said:

Eagles 31 - 49ers - 20.  I think our O-Line matches up well with their depleted D-Line... I worry about their LB's but CB is to inexperienced although I hear Lenoir has looked good for them.

TD's

Sanders - Rush
Hurts - Rush
Goedert - Receiving
Watkins - Receiving  

@LeanMeanGM

33 minutes ago, Nivraga said:

You're assuming he would have no other options and / or would be willing to sit on the practice squad for less money. I'm sure his agent could find a roster spot for him on one of the other 31 teams.

I'd be willing to take that risk.   He's been on the market plenty of times in the past.

3 hours ago, Swoop said:

Howie will kick the can even more, as we likely have more space 2023 and beyond.

He has already shaved 53 million off the 2023 cap as well this off season.

35 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I can't address that... and the same with the WR position.   I don't have the luxury of following all 31 other teams like I do this one.  

As for the PS shopping, they didn't have to shop the PS and hope to get them to accept the contract.  The waiver claim after the cut to 53 would have sealed them coming in.  KeeSean Johnson was one name, but ultimately, that's not something I can answer.  What disappointed me was that they really didn't bring in anyone.  Maybe they put in a bunch of claims and they just got sniped by the top 5 teams ahead of them, but I doubt that it would have been many.  

This is a lament without a preference.  It is more along the lines of don't be fooled by what you've seen by Ward.  He's not going to get much better than he is.  he regressed as a punt returner (or at least was more exposed the more he was back there), and the same is true of him as a WR.  Basically, slot only, not very big and strong for blocking or ST purposes, not fast for ST purposes as a gunner.  At LB... not many names for me to throw out there... but the corps is so weak, hard to believe there's not someone worth kicking the tires on.  

But already in the two and a half weeks since the cut some picking and cherry picking has been done by the team.  They didn’t just sign only their cuts to the PS.  They brought in Johnson instead of signing Patton, so they kicked the tires on Patton and are now kicking the tires on Johnson.   The signed Eubanks, who intrigues me a bit as a TE prospect.   They cut Arnold, who Howie could not stop raving about last year, and signed Wilson, who is worth a bit of a look at DT.  Arnold was expendable because they picked up Chachere on the active roster from, not the Colts cut downs but from their cuts because of waiver pickups.  Gannon knows Chachere and apparently he was the fourth S last Sunday.  Scott, the CB they liked enough to trade for in the offseason was put on short term IR.  For that time, they are kicking the tires on Mac McCain, poached from Denver’s PS.  Even if McCain gets waived when Scott is healthy, if offered, I would think an Eagles PS spot competing with James and Jacquet, or even possibly replacing one of them, might be more attractive to him than going back to Denver’s PS given the depth of Denver’s secondary.  Then they tried out Christian Ellis, an undersized DE from Idaho and signed him as a LB in the Patrick Johnson mold to the PS and cut Pierschbacher.  When they PS IRed Clark the signed Crider back to the PS although that may be because Pierschbacher signed to the Jets PS earlier.   

So the churning and tryouts are already underway.  Some may evolve and others will go.  So four new PS players to check out and two new roster players getting a look.  All in 2 1/2 weeks.  I expect some poaching all season with the use of the short term IR.  I really like the Covid PS and IR rules and think they should be permanent.

I also think the IR before the final cutdown should include a bring back, kind of like the old rules of a player or two but only after the trade deadline with a two week practice exemption.  If a player has an injury that would hold them out a couple of months, like Dillard’s muscle tear last year, thing might have been different last year if he could have come back around week 10 on an exemption.  Might work for a player like Mostert too.  But that is a different discussion, altogether. 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I'd be willing to take that risk.   He's been on the market plenty of times in the past.

He is not the same player as the last time he was on the market.  But enough about him, we just don’t see eye to eye on this.

Archived