EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

4 minutes ago, greend said:

If you are waiting for either side to be "perfect" you will never be happy.

I was upset the eagles didn’t have any turnovers once again. This had been an issue for about 2 years now. I think it speaks more to lack of playmakers on the back 7.

however the pass rush should be better than getting 2 QB hits and 0 sacks. Sorry they played well but if I’m paying a boatload of money to the line i expect more from them. I love fletcher cox but it’s very concerning he has 1 sack and 1 QB hit in his last 6 games. 

2 minutes ago, greend said:

They scored a total of 17 points bro. there is no fault that falls to the defense. We scored 11 points at home 11!

Scored 11 in honor of Carson. So blame Carson for the loss. 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, greend said:

They scored a total of 17 points bro. there is no fault that falls to the defense. We scored 11 points at home 11!

Exactly this. If your offense can't score more than 17 points at home when their D was so dominant for 28 minutes of the first half and they had chances then you aren't going to win any game. That was not on the defense yesterday no way no how. 

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The other issue here is we have ertz and goedert who imo our your best weapons on offense. As much as i like smith and Watkins, they aren’t there yet. Smith as great as he can be is still a rookie and he’s going to have ups and downs. Watkins had a great game but he didn’t play much his rookie year so same with him. When you have just 11 targets to goedert and ertz over two games that’s not nearly enough. They should be averaging at least 11 targets a game between the two if not more. 

They are not throwing to the middle of the field at all, basically rendering Goedert useless.

5 minutes ago, justrelax said:

The defense played hard and well but Gannon did them no favors by failing to adjust to the toss plays. Shanahan made an offensive adjustment and Gannon failed to counter.

With what?  His bevy of pro bowl LBs?

The guy is limited in what he can scheme up.

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I was upset the eagles didn’t have any turnovers once again. This had been an issue for about 2 years now. I think it speaks more to lack of playmakers on the back 7.

however the pass rush should be better than getting 2 QB hits and 0 sacks. Sorry they played well but if I’m paying a boatload of money to the line i expect more from them. I love fletcher cox but it’s very concerning he has 1 sack and 1 QB hit in his last 6 games. 

Scored 11 in honor of Carson. So blame Carson for the loss. 

The defense didn't lose that game. Any offense needs to score more than 11 the blame falls on Siri and Hurts

23 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

The position has evolved, a lot of QBs run now. 

And that should be equally weighted to the passing aspect?  

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I know the come back for this will be he got double teamed but, great players break through double teams or at least the rest of the line that we pay pretty well should be getting there with ease if Cox is getting shut out. 

Just to play a bit of devil's advocate, but the 49ers had a crazy TOP in the 4th quarter, over 12 minutes I think, so Hurts not having many completions may have something to do with that. Not to say he was good yesterday by any means, but as with everything, context does matter. 

Just now, downundermike said:

They are not throwing to the middle of the field at all, basically rendering Goedert useless.

Until Hurts and sirianni begin doing it i tend to believe they will struggle unless hey just face a pathetic Falcons pass defense that’s destined to finish 32nd again. Unfortunately i think it’s going to get really rough the next 5 weeks. Got Dallas (to their credit their defense played well against the chargers), chiefs, panthers (playing well), bucs and raiders. Probably underdog in every one of those games. 

Just now, Connecticut Eagle said:

Agreed.  Gannon's approach is to not give up the big play.  The forty-yarder to Samuel was the exception (bad angle by Wallace) and it directly led to the first TD.

IMO, the offense needed to convert their opportunities to score.

Going up 10-0 changes everything. Stopping the Eagles at the 1 gave the 9ers the momentum swing and turn everything around. 

As for the Defense yeah it was great to only give up 17 points but I think what get lost in total points is the 9ers controlled the game from that point on. We gave up too many long time eating drives. That toss play killed the Eagles. LBs are still suspect and our Safties are underperforming. This could get ugly quick going to Dallas and the. The Chiefs. 

3 minutes ago, greend said:

The defense didn't lose that game. Any offense needs to score more than 11 the blame falls on Siri and Hurts

Yep.  Only 6 teams in the league, including us, scored less than the 17 points SF scored yesterday.

I would imagine the reason Hurts hasn't thrown the ball over the middle at all really is because teams are taking that part of the field away. They know he doesn't have a big arm and they're forcing him to throw outside the numbers. It's the same way defenses play Tua and any other QB with a subpar arm.

1 minute ago, greend said:

I never said they did lose that game. However there’s still things that they need to be better at  cause a better offense with a better QB will smoke them getting just 2 QB hits and 0 sacks. Especially if you get 0 turnovers. Just saying Dak if he gets untouched like that with his weapons is going to put up more than 17. 

3 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Just to play a bit of devil's advocate, but the 49ers had a crazy TOP in the 4th quarter, over 12 minutes I think, so Hurts not having many completions may have something to do with that. Not to say he was good yesterday by any means, but as with everything, context does matter. 

Hurts completed 5 passes over the last 3 quarters.

26 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

The position has evolved, a lot of QBs run now. 

Tom Brady is reason 1-100 on why running should be the last thing evaluated when evaluating a QB. 

24 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Overall view: We were right there. The difference was when we needed to stop them on short yardage we didn't and when they needed to stop us on short yardage they did. They were a little more efficient, especially with the QB sneaks. Hurts was not the reason we lost. I would argue that Gannon's inability to adjust to the toss plays was far more damaging.

Haven't seen any one putting it solely on Hurts.  But Hurts is the QB, so he will be the center of attention.

6 minutes ago, greend said:

Sure they needed to score more but look at the drives the defense gave up after the failed Philly special play. 

1 minute ago, jwill2420 said:

Going up 10-0 changes everything. Stopping the Eagles at the 1 gave the 9ers the momentum swing and turn everything around. 

As for the Defense yeah it was great to only give up 17 points but I think what get lost in total points is the 9ers controlled the game from that point on. We gave up too many long time eating drives. That toss play killed the Eagles. LBs are still suspect and our Safties are underperforming. This could get ugly quick going to Dallas and the. The Chiefs. 

I thought a big turning point was the blocked fg. If you get that field goal it’s 6-0. That means if you likely aren’t going for it on fourth and goal and kick a fg so it could’ve been 9-0 to take a two possession lead. Granted if he makes it things might have played out differently 

Just now, downundermike said:

Hurts completed 5 passes over the last 3 quarters.

Yes, he had one pass that took up 91 yards in one play. That's a factor too.

Please read the entirety of my post. I'm not saying he played well yesterday, far from it. But it's not as black and white as you're hoping it is. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Yep.  Only 6 teams in the league, including us, scored less than the 17 points SF scored yesterday.

This is turning into the defense is the issue like the year when the offense couldn't score more then 17 points for how many games. It only looked bad on the defense because by the end of the game the defense couldn't hold them anymore.and gave up the last score. 

23 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

That response was in regards to why Running is a category for a QB. It’s not 1980 anymore. 

Thats true... passing is easier than its ever been.

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I know the come back for this will be he got double teamed but, great players break through double teams or at least the rest of the line that we pay pretty well should be getting there with ease if Cox is getting shut out. 

At some point he has talent around him to be more than just 1 QB hit and 1 sack. Love fletcher but even if he’s doubled that’s not good enough. If we get to 8 games and that’s still the case that’s half a season. At some point it’s more than just doubles. 

Archived