EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

12 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

I'm not sure it's all that uncommon to have mostly 1-read passes out of goal line... it's not like Nick is making up his own plays from nowhere. They all run the same GL plays.

I'd love to hear from another coach who has ever said that.  That seems either crazy or a delibrate lie to shift attention.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

I think the right answer is more than 1, but less than 5? 

Ok, so...2?

Barring a miracle, youre never getting to the 3rd read though

6 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

The defense played well enough to win yesterday. They weren't perfect, not even close. They probably could have done even more to win it themselves, honestly. But at the end of the day, holding a good, veteran team like the 9ers to 17 is a good day, in my book? 

I never said they didn’t play well enough. However comparing the fact the niners weapons right now are really just deebo and kittle. After that aiyuk is in the doghouse and limited snaps first two weeks. And mostert and Jeff Wilson are injured their best two backs. The rest of their backs are not that good and playing roles they shouldn’t. sermon is also either not very good or doghouse. Much different story imo yesterday if you played a team with more weapons and better QB if the defense only gets 2 QB pressures, 0 sacks, 0 turnovers and time of possession of 35 mins. Eagles defense played well yesterday but i also think that has somewhat to do with the current skill position players the niners have and a reason why the niners kind of drafted lance to replace Jimmy g 

i give the defense credit for what they did yesterday. But in a different game i don’t think it would’ve been good enough and would have been more exposed 

5 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Right, not sure why everyone is freaking out.

How many reads do people want for passing plays from the 2 yard line?   You have milliseconds

If one runs the ball then one doesn't have to read anything 

9 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Well i thought we were all so impressed and good on defense holding a niners to 17 on 2 QB hits that it would just carry over to those games…. They score points however with relative ease if you aren’t going to get any pressure on the QB like yesterday. 

They weren’t scoring with relative ease though. Had the offense scored on the the reagor TD and/or from the 1 yard line, the second half is likely to have been significantly different for the Defense too. Shanahan probably wouldn’t have been able to stick to the running game that much down 2 scores in the second half. The niners barely even passed the ball in the second half. 

Just now, wtfcares said:

They weren’t scoring with relative ease though. Had the offense scored on the the reagor TD and/or from the 1 yard line, the second half is likely to have been significantly different for the Defense. Shanahan probably wouldn’t have been able to stick to the running game that much down 2 scores in the second half. The niners barely even passed the ball in the second half. 

I was talking about future games against other teams. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I was talking about future games against other teams. 

Fair enough. 

Would you say they would deserve enough credit for a defensive win if they hold the cowboys below 21? 

If you could guarantee me the other team would only score 17 points, I would take that on most Sundays. 

But the D also had its struggles yesterday on the two long drives, bad penalties, and failure to complete game changing plays. They aren't the reason we lost, but they also didn't help much to win. I also think Jimmy G left some points on the field for the 49ers with some of his bad throws to wide open guys. 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

If you could guarantee me the other team would only score 17 points, I would take that on most Sundays. 

But the D also had its struggles yesterday on the two long drives, bad penalties, and failure to complete game changing plays. They aren't the reason we lost, but they also didn't help much to win. I also think Jimmy G left some points on the field for the 49ers with some of his bad throws to wide open guys. 

Football is the ultimate team sport.  It all works together.

Defense gets a turnover, that works to help the offense.  The offense scores a bunch that makes the opposition more one dimensional.  Situationally, the D gets that 3 and out at the end, and the O gets a chance again to pull it out at the end.   

Win as a team, lose as a team.

20 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Right, not sure why everyone is freaking out.

How many reads do people want for passing plays from the 2 yard line?   You have milliseconds

On a roll out? Two. You have the WR and a TE to that side block and release. Pretty typical. 

Guest justrelax
29 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Adjustments is part of the issue. Also might have contributed that the niners had 35 mins of possession and eventually that dam is going to break. 

Two sides of the same coin. Had we adjusted to stop the toss they wouldn't have had 35 minutes of possession.

39 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

With what?  His bevy of pro bowl LBs?

The guy is limited in what he can scheme up.

This I agree with. The toss play and the screen game attacked our LBs, who were not up to the task. Time and again they could not shed their blocks.

19 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

Fair enough. 

Would you say they would deserve enough credit for a defensive win if they hold the cowboys below 21? 

Yeah i would.  but i don’t see them holding the Cowboys to 21 points if they have 2 QB hits, 0 sacks, 0 turnovers and the Cowboys have 35 mins in time of possession. 

3 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Ertz placed on the Covid list. Not sure how that didn't pop up yesterday.

Because they only test once a week for vaccinated players

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

THAT'S WHY Hurts didn't give him the shovel pass at the goal line.  Physical distancing

See the source image

On the Hurts deep throw down the middle that was short, you can see he got his step pattern out of whack when moving outside of the pocket and that was took the extra to get the ball out. He didn't get his feet set probably when throwing it.

7 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Two sides of the same coin. Had we adjusted to stop the toss they wouldn't have had 35 minutes of possession.

This I agree with. The toss play and the screen game attacked our LBs, who were not up to the task. Time and again they could not shed their blocks.

I also think the eagles inability to sustain drives in the second half helped with TOP for the niners. Second half the eagles just had over 10 mins of time of possession. First half the eagles were about 50-50. Before the late touchdown drive the eagles had 65 total yards and were 1-4 on third down in the second half. 

2 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Ah, didnt know that. 

Just my assumption, but Monday has been the day you always hear players going on the list like Gregory, Martin, Austin Jackson and now Ertz, so I'm guessing Monday is when the league does their weekly testing. Kind of dumb they don't do it on gameday morning, but whatever. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Just my assumption, but Monday has been the day you always hear players going on the list like Gregory, Martin, Austin Jackson and now Ertz, so I'm guessing Monday is when the league does their weekly testing. Kind of dumb they don't do it on gameday morning, but whatever. 

No worries... being in close proximity and breathing heavily on one another on the field cant spread it.  Its a bigger deal in the meeting room than at the LOS.

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I never said they didn’t play well enough. However comparing the fact the niners weapons right now are really just deebo and kittle. After that aiyuk is in the doghouse and limited snaps first two weeks. And mostert and Jeff Wilson are injured their best two backs. The rest of their backs are not that good and playing roles they shouldn’t. sermon is also either not very good or doghouse. Much different story imo yesterday if you played a team with more weapons and better QB if the defense only gets 2 QB pressures, 0 sacks, 0 turnovers and time of possession of 35 mins. Eagles defense played well yesterday but i also think that has somewhat to do with the current skill position players the niners have and a reason why the niners kind of drafted lance to replace Jimmy g 

The 49ers aren't an anemic offense.  I am not sure what to make of the lack of pressure.  I do think they were worn down by the end of the game.  I think even if they had just kicked a field goal at the end of the first half the defense would have been in a better position to prevent the scoring drive.  Still holding the 49ers to 17 wasn't a mirage.  They played well.  They created a turnover that was overturned on a bad call.  They held the 49ers in check and only allowed one play of more than 20 yards.  

Archived