EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

Guest justrelax
3 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

True.

But we're not even seeing RB option routes, WR drag routes, or TE button hooks, which are low risk throws that take advantage of LBs trying to cover.

You may be right but without the All-22 it's hard to be sure.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Idk i bet if we put some cameras on emb and blog members during the eagles game that we would get some good reactions and then the reactions we have watching them would probably be pretty entertaining lol 

I'd be pretty boring, but if you wanted to monetize it... sure, why not.

9 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

True.

But we're not even seeing RB option routes, WR drag routes, or TE button hooks, which are low risk throws that take advantage of LBs trying to cover.

4 minutes ago, justrelax said:

You may be right but without the All-22 it's hard to be sure.

So watching the game live can not answer that question ??

12 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

An opportunity to upgrade.

Pass, going on 32.  No way I'm giving up draft assets for him.

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Pass, going on 32.  No way I'm giving up draft assets for him.

I'd give them Zach Ertz, straight up.

33 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Per the piece posted, short middle passes have a four times greater chance of being intercepted and deep throws are intercepted nearly one out of five tries:

More specifically, a pass thrown 20 yards down the middle of the field has about the same completion percentage as one thrown 10 yards towards either sideline. But those same passes thrown down the middle of the field are also about four times as likely to be picked off. Alternatively, nearly one in five passes are picked off when the ball is thrown 30 yards down the middle of the field, which is about three times the rate of interceptions on the sideline.

Personal observation: the 49ers played a ton of single-high safety. That's starting with a guy in the middle of the field. It also frees up the other safety to clog the shorter stuff, again starting in the middle of the field. Further, if you're playing zone, which they did a lot, it's tough on the QB, especially an inexperienced one like Hurts, to pick up the off-side coverage, by which I mean the defender who starts away from the play but closes on it from the wide side. A lot of those INTs are made by a DB or LB coming from the next zone over and whom the QB may never see. Adjusting to that takes experience. To date, Hurts has not made that adjustment but also, to date, he has not been intercepted. To my mind the two related.

Interesting, if that's the case then hurts needs to get better at his deep throws along the side line and if I were a TE I'd look for a new team.

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

On the Internet or not, I’d have a big problem with being called racist. 

Like it or not, we all qualify for being called racist at one time or another.  Human beings are social animals, which inevitably leads to situations where an individual's social group becomes "We" and other social groups become "they."  Racisim is a construct of that "we" versus "they" dynamic. 

If you haven't read them, I strongly recommend two books ... "Why We're Polarized" by Ezra Klein and "Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents" by Isabel Wilkerson.  They are both very enlightening about all of us human beings.

JMO

2 hours ago, Ipiggles said:

Sadly, with how divided our country is, this happens troo much on both sides and the Media and politicians often help to gaslight their base. Makes it really difficult to have a mature conversation about anything. :sad:

Given your comment above, you will really enjoy reading "Why We're Polarized" by Ezra Klein. 

Didn’t think about it until today’s PC but I think Hurts doesn’t throw to the middle simply because he doesn’t feel comfortable doing it. Nick has always been talking about creating plays to the players strengths. Maybe throwing to the middle just isn’t Hurts strength?

Guest justrelax
7 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Interesting, if that's the case then hurts needs to get better at his deep throws along the side line and if I were a TE I'd look for a new team.

He dropped two sideline dimes against SF. The Watkins throw was particularly impressive, as he had Dickerson in his lap. And Goedert has six catches including a TD.

Guest justrelax
5 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Like it or not, we all qualify for being called racist at one time or another.  Human beings are social animals, which inevitably leads to situations where an individual's social group becomes "We" and other social groups become "they."  Racisim is a construct of that "we" versus "they" dynamic. 

If you haven't read them, I strongly recommend two books ... "Why We're Polarized" by Ezra Klein and "Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents" by Isabel Wilkerson.  They are both very enlightening about all of us human beings.

JMO

Caste in particular is terrific.

1 hour ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

Colts are 0-2 and Wentz already hurt. Trade not looking so good 

The first part of that (the 0-2) if it keeps going like that is good for the trade value because the pick gets earlier and earlier regardless of which round it is in.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/all

Look at the QBs:

Between the hash marks throws:

Rodgers - 2

Goff - 2

Mahomes - 3

Lamar - 4

Russ Wilson - 1 (maybe 2)

Tannehill - A bajillion

Herbert - 6

Dak - 2

Brady - 4

Ryan - 3 (with a bunch right around the hashes)

Murray - 8

Cousins - 4

Carr - 3

Garoppolo - 5

Hurts - 0

Zach Wilson - 2

Mac Jones - 2

Brisset - 0

Allen - 3

TLaw - 3

Bridgewater - 4

Stafford - 5

Wentz  - 4

Mayfield - 0 (maybe 1 or two, both thrown behind LOS)

Burrow - 4

Fields - 2

Darnold - 1

Heineken - 1

Jones - 3

So by and large, almost all QBs aren't throwing between the hashes with a lot of regularity. Now, that's not to say zero passes should be thrown there. But it's not as bad as it would seem on the surface, IMO. 

6 minutes ago, justrelax said:

He dropped two sideline dimes against SF. The Watkins throw was particularly impressive, as he had Dickerson in his lap. And Goedert has six catches including a TD.

Yup the Watkins throw was nice, the reagor throw was good too, though reagor stepped out if bounds, not hurts fault.

The one deep pass he did have over the middle to Devonte was an awful throw as it was late and short.

Goedert was almost invisible against SF as he didn't get a target til the 4th quarter, 

Good qbs and good offenses still use the middle of the field

The biggest play SF made was over the middle to deebo so I'd hope the eagles don't abandon the middle all together as will just make defenses lives easier.

3 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Look at the QBs:

Rodgers - 2

Goff - 2

Mahomes - 3

Lamar - 4

Tannehill - A bajillion

Herbert - 6

Dak - 2

Brady - 4

Murray - 8

Cousins - 4

Carr - 3

Garoppolo - 5

Hurts - 0

Zach Wilson - 2

Mac Jones - 2

Brisset - 0

Allen - 3

TLaw - 3

Bridgewater - 4

Stafford - 5

Wentz  - 4

Burrow - 4

Fields - 2

Darnold - 1

Heineken - 1

Jones - 3

So by and large, almost all QBs aren't throwing between the hashes with a lot of regularity. Now, that's not to say zero passes should be thrown there. But it's not as bad as it would seem on the surface, IMO. 

Tannenhill a bajillion😄.

Surprised Murray as a shorter guy is the leader with 8.

39 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Being the tallest midget isn't exactly a good defense.   That just highlights the struggles this team has had in selecting talent over the years.  It didn't start with Howie, but it hasn't improved with him either.

which is kind of my point, DG ranks in the middle of what the Eagles got for talent  in the 1st rd, there are more below, than above him. So I cant complain with the value they got from that draft pick. We can debate and say I would of rather we had drafted ____    But with the fact they haven't drafted all that well in the 1st rd, I'll take a player the caliber of DG in the 1st. 

19 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Given your comment above, you will really enjoy reading "Why We're Polarized" by Ezra Klein. 

will check it out. 

7 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Look at the QBs:

Rodgers - 2

Goff - 2

Mahomes - 3

Lamar - 4

Tannehill - A bajillion

Herbert - 6

Dak - 2

Brady - 4

Murray - 8

Cousins - 4

Carr - 3

Garoppolo - 5

Hurts - 0

Zach Wilson - 2

Mac Jones - 2

Brisset - 0

Allen - 3

TLaw - 3

Bridgewater - 4

Stafford - 5

Wentz  - 4

Burrow - 4

Fields - 2

Darnold - 1

Heineken - 1

Jones - 3

Those are all just 1 game. Look at Mahommes Week 1 chart

Patrick Mahomes Week 1 Pass Chart

So 14 across two games, on average 119 across a season. Week 2 they just took away the middle of the field, but week 1 clearly the throws across the middle were there. 

19 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

We've been saying this.  It's pretty universally assumed at this point.  

Good for you

Archived