Matt Corral (Mississippi QB) -- DRAFTED BY CAROLINA #94

Godfather

Looks like an NFL qb. He's got an arm and if anyone saw the game Saturday night he can connect on the deep ball

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looked awful against Bama IMO.  Total spread guy with nothing outside of the schemed quick stuff.

I'm a Bama fan so I watched him yesterday. They got smoked but yeah the kids got it. 

1 hour ago, proveagle said:

Looked awful against Bama IMO.  Total spread guy with nothing outside of the schemed quick stuff.

Bama defense makes allot of guys look awful. I actually don't think he was that bad considering. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I'm a Bama fan so I watched him yesterday. They got smoked but yeah the kids got it. 

Bama defense makes allot of guys look awful. I actually don't think he was that bad considering. 

Normally I would agree there but Bama's D is not anywhere close to past years at any of the levels in terms of talent and their tackling isn't close to the same.  I was paying close attention too Corral because I am seeing if anyone in next years draft would be worth an upgrade over Hurts.  As of today my answer is emphatic "no".  Corral looks like a QB propped up by the spread.  Is his arm a bit better, sure.  Is he as good of a leader?  Probably not.  Is he as good of a runner?  No.  Does he see the field better and progress in reads?  No.  Is he as mature and mentally as tough as Hurts?  Jury is out but if I was betting I would say no.

There just isn't a QB likely to come out this year who looks that good so far, Rattler, Corral and WIllis are among the top prospects and none of them are convincing, they look a lot more Tua than Kyler, honestly I'd use the high draft picks on other areas of the roster (because there's no QB in the draft that will bail out this defense regularly) and watch for someone in '23.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, proveagle said:

Normally I would agree there but Bama's D is not anywhere close to past years at any of the levels in terms of talent and their tackling isn't close to the same.  I was paying close attention too Corral because I am seeing if anyone in next years draft would be worth an upgrade over Hurts.  As of today my answer is emphatic "no".  Corral looks like a QB propped up by the spread.  Is his arm a bit better, sure.  Is he as good of a leader?  Probably not.  Is he as good of a runner?  No.  Does he see the field better and progress in reads?  No.  Is he as mature and mentally as tough as Hurts?  Jury is out but if I was betting I would say no.

Bama's D is still very good

I havent missed an Alabama game in over 30 years.  Yes, I agree its still pretty good but its not the same D as last year or the average over the last 5+ years (and Saban's standard).  For example, I would usually put Alabama on par with Georgia (Kirby Smart used to be Bama DC) but today Georgia's D is better at all levels vs Bama.  JMO.

Back to Corral.  Based on what I have seen so far I don't want the Eagles to touch him in the draft unless its mid-round.  Don't like. 🙂

• Like 1

If we are going draft route to address the QB position, I'd rather wait for 2022 and go all in for C.J. Stroud.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:16 AM, Godfather said:

Looks like an NFL qb. He's got an arm and if anyone saw the game Saturday night he can connect on the deep ball

I like this kid alot but is he a top 10 pick I don;t know we need to see more of him.

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

This just doesn't seem to be the year to draft a QB early. 

Agreed. Draft one in the middle rounds if there is a prospect they like but don't go for one in the first round. Just hold fire.

• Like 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. Draft one in the middle rounds if there is a prospect they like but don't go for one in the first round. Just hold fire.

Yes. I liken this year's QB class to putting together an academic debate team, and having to choose who you believe is the best B- to C+ student available as your first choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PoconoDon said:

Yes. I liken this year's QB class to putting together an academic debate team, and having to choose who you believe is the best B- to C+ student available as your first choice.

Agreed. And hey look we could be wrong. These guys that don't blow us away may go on to be future franchise QBs. Nobody thought Mahomes was going to be a legit future HoFer. People thought Darnold was the next big deal. I just think we need to bide our time. Don't force it. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. And hey look we could be wrong. These guys that don't blow us away may go on to be future franchise QBs. Nobody thought Mahomes was going to be a legit future HoFer. People thought Darnold was the next big deal. I just think we need to bide our time. Don't force it. 

Sifting through the pile isn't easy and there are no standouts who are clearly head and shoulders above the rest, so you're right. Wait until later. There are positions that are stronger on their face like in the secondary and along the interior o-line where the Eagles can find terrific prospects early.

• Like 1

Just now, PoconoDon said:

Sifting through the pile isn't easy and there are no standouts who are clearly head and shoulders above the rest, so you're right. Wait until later. There are positions that are stronger on their face like in the secondary and along the interior o-line where the Eagles can find terrific prospects early.

I know every year you can say a QB has strengths and weaknesses. Even the #1 overall pick has that of course. But looking at this years class of QBs I just see guys who sure have ability but none of them wow me. Rattler has a great and and he's usual entertaining to watch but I think in the NFL he'll be a turnover machine. The rest I think have some good attributes but none jump out. 

• Like 1

It's early days in the season I get that but all of the names that people are putting up as the top guys this year have all either had at least one duff game already (Rattler, Corral, Ridder, Howell) or are balling out but at FBS level (Willis).

Plus what is Sirianni's ideal QB?  A lot of the guys at the top end are shorter dual threat guys, is that what Sirianni wants or would he rather have an 6ft 4in pocket passer who will only run if its absolutely necessary?

If it's the latter then you take Ridder or Pickett on day 2 or 3 and hope they pan out. If it's the former then Corral is is going in the first somewhere but no way is he top ten and I'd bet he craters at the pro level, if Willis makes it to the second (and thats a big if because QB makes people lose their mind) I'd be tempted to take a look unless Hurt's lights it up the rest of the season.

Nightmare scenario is Howie uses Miami's one on Corral and Miami draft the next great QB in 2023.

On 10/12/2021 at 3:28 PM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It's early days in the season I get that but all of the names that people are putting up as the top guys this year have all either had at least one duff game already (Rattler, Corral, Ridder, Howell) or are balling out but at FBS level (Willis).

Plus what is Sirianni's ideal QB?  A lot of the guys at the top end are shorter dual threat guys, is that what Sirianni wants or would he rather have an 6ft 4in pocket passer who will only run if its absolutely necessary?

If it's the latter then you take Ridder or Pickett on day 2 or 3 and hope they pan out. If it's the former then Corral is is going in the first somewhere but no way is he top ten and I'd bet he craters at the pro level, if Willis makes it to the second (and thats a big if because QB makes people lose their mind) I'd be tempted to take a look unless Hurt's lights it up the rest of the season.

Nightmare scenario is Howie uses Miami's one on Corral and Miami draft the next great QB in 2023.

I think Miami is all in on Watson

7 hours ago, Godfather said:

I think you're probably right. Although I'm not sure this year is doing much to support that idea. Last year they looked like a team who with a legit QB could be an outside contender. This year they look way off. 

On 10/14/2021 at 2:11 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think you're probably right. Although I'm not sure this year is doing much to support that idea. Last year they looked like a team who with a legit QB could be an outside contender. This year they look way off. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick was legit? Cause if you are talking about Tua he wasn't really any good and the Dolphins didn't even like him and pulled him when the game was on the line

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was legit? Cause if you are talking about Tua he wasn't really any good and the Dolphins didn't even like him and pulled him when the game was on the line

No I'm saying Fitzpatrick isn't really legit. He's an up and down QB is what he is. He has some good games, some bad games. If they would have had a Watson last year they'd have likely been a play off team and a threat. 

On 10/14/2021 at 7:06 AM, Godfather said:

And sadly if Miami gets Watson, guess who is trading for Tua thinking he can revive him? You guessed it.........Howie

30 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

And sadly if Miami gets Watson, guess who is trading for Tua thinking he can revive him? You guessed it.........Howie

Depends what they give up for Tua I guess. I mean I'm not sure Howie would trade for him but if he traded a late round pick in the off season? Why not if at that point they've decided Hurts isn't the guy and they don't commit to a QB in this next draft. 

56 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

How fitting.  He already sent Hurts to the bench once.  WHy not again?

On 10/18/2021 at 5:59 AM, DeathByEagle said:

We already have a Tua at qb

• Like 1