DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES #10!

HazletonEagle

A lot of mocks I've seen has Smith to the Eagles. Including that turd Kiper and McShay

I just find it hard to believe the Eagles go WR in the first 2 years in a row. Not to mention a 2nd round WR in 2019. I wouldn't mind it, just not sure it happens. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I just find it hard to believe the Eagles go WR in the first 2 years in a row. Not to mention a 2nd round WR in 2019. I wouldn't mind it, just not sure it happens. 

If they pick a non-bust, that would be a difference.

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Agreed.  

7 for 130 and 3tds. Been uncoverable all day (all season really). Making plays and just showing another gear. 

I know I know. It’s vs notre dame and we all knew notre dame was gonna get dusted. But it’s still good to see him dominate. 

1 hour ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

7 for 130 and 3tds. Been uncoverable all day (all season really). Making plays and just showing another gear. 

I know I know. It’s vs notre dame and we all knew notre dame was gonna get dusted. But it’s still good to see him dominate. 

All of the momentum from this season's performance and a likely Heisman trophy win on the horizon should push DeVonta Smith ahead of Ja'Marr Chase in the draft. If the Eagles want one of these guys they need to stand pat, no trading down. In 2017 we saw Corey Davis and Mike Williams go 5th and 7th overall, and I can see Smith and Chase go off the board around that same range this year.

6 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Yeah too good to be true. JJAW shouldn't count though. He had total bust written all over him and a far lesser talent than the other well documented guy 

3 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

All of the momentum from this season's performance and a likely Heisman trophy win on the horizon should push DeVonta Smith ahead of Ja'Marr Chase in the draft. If the Eagles want one of these guys they need to stand pat, no trading down. In 2017 we saw Corey Davis and Mike Williams go 5th and 7th overall, and I can see Smith and Chase go off the board around that same range this year.

I don’t know. Smith doesn’t have the physical skills to be a #1 WR in the NFL. He’s listed at 174 but looks closer to 154. He’s quick but not DJax quick. 

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

I don’t know. Smith doesn’t have the physical skills to be a #1 WR in the NFL. He’s listed at 174 but looks closer to 154. He’s quick but not DJax quick. 

Jackson might be slightly quicker when he came out of college but his polish and release off LOS was not better than Smith. 

Smith is a number one in this league. Once he gets that NFL nutrition he will gain a little more weight.

9 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Jackson might be slightly quicker when he came out of college but his polish and release off LOS was not better than Smith. 

Smith is a number one in this league. Once he gets that NFL nutrition he will gain a little more weight.

They expect him to run a 4.4 - 4.5. I’m sure DJax was probably a 4.3 back in the day. 

4 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

They expect him to run a 4.4 - 4.5. I’m sure DJax was probably a 4.3 back in the day. 

I dont care about speed. Lets be honest how many recs really just get open due to pure speed? Not many. A lot of DBs are just as fast,. As long as the player is a great route runner and great hands is all I care about. 4.3 or 4.4-4.5 it does not matter to me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I dont care about speed. Lets be honest how many recs really just get open due to speed? not many. As long as the player is a great route runner and great hands is all I care about. 4.3 or 4.4-4.5 it does not matter to me. 

I was just responding to a poster who said he was almost as fast as DJax. 

Not saying Smith won’t be good but he’s going to have trouble with press coverage in the NFL. Look at the elite WR’s in the game, none of them have similar size to Smith. Guys like Hopkins, Adams, Metcalf, Julio, Thomas are all big, physical receivers. Sure, there are good smaller receivers but not elite like those guys. 

12 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

As another posted stated. It does matter what his speed is. You are crazy if you think he runs in the 4.5s. But still think he is a solid Jackson comparison. Give or take

3 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

As another posted stated. It does matter what his speed is. You are crazy if you think he runs in the 4.5s. But still think he is a solid Jackson comparison. Give or take

I don't think speed does matter. I mean sure you don't want a slow WR but I don't think they need someone who runs in the 4.3s to have found a deep threat. They need a legit play making go to guy for their QB. That above anything else. 

On 1/1/2021 at 10:04 PM, The Holy Vagabond said:

About an hour from seeing him vs Notre dame in the rose bowl. 

He played excellent. Elite agility, great speed.. Sure he messed up on the (meaningless) onsite, but loved him as a lead blocker for other receivers twice!

Smith will be really good in the NFL, I am sure of it.

That said, Harris had a crazy good game. I know, you guys now hate the idea of a one-two punch - but damn.. maybe if he slides to the second? 😄

If the Eagles secure their #6 spot tonight, but the following happens in the draft, what would you do?

Jaguars - Trevor Lawrence

Jets - Justin Fields

*Falcons - Penei Sewell

Dolphins - DeVonta Smith

Bengals - Ja'Marr Chase

Eagles - ???

Still go WR with Jaylen Waddle?

Go defense like Micah Parsons, Patrick Surtain, Caleb Farley?

Or trade down?

(*Realistically, while this scenario is possible, I don't see the Falcons taking another OT, but rather consider a QB for the future, maybe go defense, or trade down here)

1 hour ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

If the Eagles secure their #6 spot tonight, but the following happens in the draft, what would you do?

Jaguars - Trevor Lawrence

Jets - Justin Fields

*Falcons - Penei Sewell

Dolphins - DeVonta Smith

Bengals - Ja'Marr Chase

Eagles - ???

Still go WR with Jaylen Waddle?

Go defense like Micah Parsons, Patrick Surtain, Caleb Farley?

Or trade down?

(*Realistically, while this scenario is possible, I don't see the Falcons taking another OT, but rather consider a QB for the future, maybe go defense, or trade down here)

This would be worse case scenario. I would probably trade back. I don’t like any of the defenders for top 10 and Waddle at #6 is a reach IMO 

I think the Falcons are a real wild card here. OT isn't a huge need for them compared to defense and I guess maybe QB of the future?

3 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I think the Falcons are a real wild card here. OT isn't a huge need for them compared to defense and I guess maybe QB of the future?

No worries! Dolphins pick at 3.

As long as the Jets take a QB (Dolphins will never ever pass on Sewell), either Smith or Chase will be available and if the Bengals go in another direction both will be there.

16 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

No worries! Dolphins pick at 3.

As long as the Jets take a QB (Dolphins will never ever pass on Sewell), either Smith or Chase will be available and if the Bengals go in another direction both will be there.

Well, the worst case scenario is both Tua and Joe Burrow pushing for their former teammates (Smith at 3 and Chase at 5) over Sewell, and having Sewell fall into our laps at 6 with a bit of a logjam at OT. 

I would imagine one of those two ultimately go with Sewell to fortify the OL, especially the Bengals since Burrow is coming off a major injury, leaving one of the two WRs to us, but we're not quite in the clear here.

I hate seeing them go with another WR in the first round, but the WRs on team really suck and finding a high end WR later in the draft is hard to do (not impossible, but rarer than some other positions.) So as much as I wish Sewell would fall to them and solidify the line for years, I think Smith or Chase is going to be the pick with an outside chance of Surtain. Or if Howie is still in charge he will take Parsons just to piss everyone off after years to not taking LB.