Carson Strong (Nevada QB) -- UDFA SIGNED WITH EAGLES!

4for4EaglesNest

6" 4' Pocket Passer with a strong arm.  Not much of an athlete.  Nice base and can make pretty much any throw.  

Pros: Strong is an average athlete with regard to mobility outside of the pocket. In the run game, he isn't much of a threat to the defense as a runner. Therefore, running many of the zone-read concepts with him would be problematic. The passing game is where he thrives. He’s more of a traditional pocket passer with very good arm strength and throws with a good base. He has the mental processing to make quick decisions. Nevada’s offense provides many opportunities for him to display his downfield accuracy. He has a good internal timer and he innately feels pressure on the backside. He has a quick release and easily gets the ball out of his hands from the gun to short throws. He goes through his progressions and will check it down when necessary. One of his best assets is his ability to take care of the football. Some of his turnovers in the exposures I’ve graded were situations where his receivers let him down. 

Cons: He’s not an elite athlete, but he’s shown subtle movements within the pocket to avoid the rush. He could afford to have better ball placement in the red zone and in deep ball situations down the field. Nevada’s offense calls for some big-play shots down the field, so being judicious in this regard should continue to be beneficial to this player. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/carson-strong

He's been very up and down so far this year, take out his powderpuff game against Idaho state and his numbers aren't impressive, he needs to be lights out the rest of the year.

This year looks like another 2020 with QB's going high that have no business there because teams are reaching.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering his knee had nails put in it around his senior year of high school and he’s had two or three procedures since, uh no.   Should now end up as the next Tom Brady, lol.

He might be the best passer in this class. His footwork and throwing motion remind me of Foles. The knee injury is a concern but he seems to be fine playing through it. I wouldn't want the eagles to take him in the first but if Hurts is clearly not the guy Id take him if he's there in the second. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 20dawk4life said:

He might be the best passer in this class. His footwork and throwing motion remind me of Foles. The knee injury is a concern but he seems to be fine playing through it. I wouldn't want the eagles to take him in the first but if Hurts is clearly not the guy isn't take him I feel he's there's in the second. 

I get where you're coming from bud. I just think that's a misuse of a premium pick. If Hurts isn't the guy, and I certainly don't think Strong will be, then they'll likely be drafting a QB early in the future. Just use the second round pick in another player to help this roster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I get where you're coming from bud. I just think that's a misuse of a premium pick. If Hurts isn't the guy, and I certainly don't think Strong will be, then they'll likely be drafting a QB early in the future. Just use the second round pick in another player to help this roster. 

I get what you're saying but I do think Strong can be a good QB in the NFL. My only concern is the knee, if other teams doctors clear him I'd feel confident taking him in the second and trying to build around him. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

I get what you're saying but I do think Strong can be a good QB in the NFL. My only concern is the knee, if other teams doctors clear him I'd feel confident taking him in the second and trying to build around him. 

He might be. He might be a good QB, he might be a very good back up long term. I just don't think he's a future franchise guy. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He might be. He might be a good QB, he might be a very good back up long term. I just don't think he's a future franchise guy. 

Strong accurate arm, just not an athlete or playing against great competition. I definitely think he's a guy you can build around. He's not a Siri guy because of RPOs but I think he can end up a franchise QB. 

Just now, 20dawk4life said:

Strong accurate arm, just not an athlete or playing against great competition. I definitely think he's a guy you can build around. He's not a Siri guy because of RPOs but I think he can end up a franchise QB. 

I think you need to be more of an athlete to be a QB these days. I'm not sure a Hurts or Jackson guy but I do think you need to be more mobile and athletic.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think you need to be more of an athlete to be a QB these days. I'm not sure a Hurts or Jackson guy but I do think you need to be more mobile and athletic.

Depends on the system. Brady is old and slow as dog sheet but still playing at a high level. Carr and Stafford aren't exactly athletes. 

2 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Is Siri an RPO guy because of what he likes in an offensive scheme or because of what he has at QB here?

Again I don't think Strong is that impressive, his TD numbers are ballooned by 11 in 2 games against Idaho and New Mexico State, if we were going to draft a pure pocket passer I'd look at Ridder or Pickett before Strong

5 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Is Siri an RPO guy because of what he likes in an offensive scheme or because of what he has at QB here?

Again I don't think Strong is that impressive, his TD numbers are ballooned by 11 in 2 games against Idaho and New Mexico State, if we were going to draft a pure pocket passer I'd look at Ridder or Pickett before Strong

I’m not worried about him taking advantage of bad teams. He was still good vs other teams and as much as he’s going up against subpar talent he’s also playing with subpar talent. I look at his mechanics and I see a good QB. I haven’t watched enough of Ridder or Picket to say one way or another on if I like them or not but I will soon. 

12 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Depends on the system. Brady is old and slow as dog sheet but still playing at a high level. Carr and Stafford aren't exactly athletes. 

Carr is a great athlete he was just never used that way or played that way. He has a faster 40 then Mahomes, Rodgers, Wentz and only. 10 slower then Hurts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Time to put Strong on top for QB’s, less than a minute on the clock against 7-8 DB’s he was perfect, throwing the ball where only his guys could catch it.    He’s been good against the blitz and under pressure this year, but he had a fumble late, not sensing the pressure behind him, he held onto the ball too long for a guy that isn’t very mobile.  That’s a Carson QB name issue.  He’s the best passer in this class. 

9 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

Time to put Strong on top for QB’s, less than a minute on the clock against 7-8 DB’s he was perfect, throwing the ball where only his guys could catch it.    He’s been good against the blitz and under pressure this year, but he had a fumble late, not sensing the pressure behind him, he held onto the ball too long for a guy that isn’t very mobile.  That’s a Carson QB name issue.  He’s the best passer in this class. 

I personally did not feel it with him. Nevada's offense is just like Nick's in Philly which we all hate. WR screens, 4 yard ding and dunk passes and the deep shot. I didnt see much of a mid level game out of that offensive plan. Maybe it was just that team they played. His arm can go deep and accurate, but i didnt see much zip in that ball in the game yesterday or in yes a "highlight" reel which is all i have to go off at this point. I see the accuracy but I didnt see the power in the arm. There is a difference between throwing a rainbow deep power and powering with power to an out to the sideline with zip to get it there fast to give the DB less of a chance to get there. 

I just started really going deep into a few of the QBs cause Im not big on this class. If we were to go after a QB, it would be Pickett for me over Strong. i just see more of a upside with him. Hes accurate at all levels and has some really nice mid level power in his arm, stays in the pocket and reads his progressions. More of a all around offense which gives you more to look at and scout. I really dont want a Qb that runs the same offense Nick does cause that offense we have already seen does not work in the NFL. Maybe Strong can do more, but the HC is not helping him show it. 

50 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I personally did not feel it with him. Nevada's offense is just like Nick's in Philly which we all hate. WR screens, 4 yard ding and dunk passes and the deep shot. I didnt see much of a mid level game out of that offensive plan. Maybe it was just that team they played. His arm can go deep and accurate, but i didnt see much zip in that ball in the game yesterday or in yes a "highlight" reel which is all i have to go off at this point. I see the accuracy but I didnt see the power in the arm. There is a difference between throwing a rainbow deep power and powering with power to an out to the sideline with zip to get it there fast to give the DB less of a chance to get there. 

I just started really going deep into a few of the QBs cause Im not big on this class. If we were to go after a QB, it would be Pickett for me over Strong. i just see more of a upside with him. Hes accurate at all levels and has some really nice mid level power in his arm, stays in the pocket and reads his progressions. More of a all around offense which gives you more to look at and scout. I really dont want a Qb that runs the same offense Nick does cause that offense we have already seen does not work in the NFL. Maybe Strong can do more, but the HC is not helping him show it. 

Pickett has been really good this year no doubt, and as of now Pickett and Strong are the two best passers IMO of the QBS being mentioned.  The kid from Stanford hopefully stays another year, he’s got something.  
 I hate the screens as well but for the rest of the offense, Hurts leaving the pocket early has been detrimental to him and Siriani, which is one thing they won’t have to worry about with Strong.  
 The opposing team writers in the NFL usually say or write some fluff about the others teams players, some of the Hurts talk has been rough because he’s been awful, doesn’t mean they’re right, or Siriani’s right, but they have both been failing this fall with that offense for sure. 

For me with Strong he just isn't outstanding, you could take Dustin Crum from Kent State and the drop off from Strong would be barely noticeable, but you could get Crum in the third or fourth. Crum has a cannon arm and is a decent runner for his size, he'd be my choice if we were taking a developmental guy to sit for a while.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:30 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

He's been very up and down so far this year, take out his powderpuff game against Idaho state and his numbers aren't impressive, he needs to be lights out the rest of the year.

This year looks like another 2020 with QB's going high that have no business there because teams are reaching.

2020 wasn't a bad QB draft. Burrow and Herbert look like they will be fine in the NFL. Only Tua hasn't developed like hoped yet and the same injury bug seems to have come with him to the NFL. Or did you mean 2019 because Jones and Haskins sure were reaches

5 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

2020 wasn't a bad QB draft. Burrow and Herbert look like they will be fine in the NFL. Only Tua hasn't developed like hoped yet and the same injury bug seems to have come with him to the NFL. Or did you mean 2019 because Jones and Haskins sure were reaches

You know honestly I meant this year, the COVID lock downs here in the UK have really screwed my sense of the passage of time and seasons. So far pretty much all of the top QB picks look like guys who would benefit from sitting behind an old hand (Jones was the lowest taken but looks the best prepared to start), hell Zac Wilson may be on the brink of sitting the rest of the season behind a fifth round pick the Cowgirls cut so they could put Clayton Thorson on their PS.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 8:41 AM, 20dawk4life said:

This is what I think is sometimes missed in the "Franchise Quarterback" discussion. IMO a "Franchise Quarterback" doesn't necessarily need to be an elite athlete unless playing in an offense like Baltimore's that relies on the Quarterback being able to run. I'm old fashioned that way, I'd rather pay running backs to be moving targets for the defense.

• Like 3

On 10/31/2021 at 11:44 PM, kiwieagle said:

Tua has some things working against him, his hip surgery, that injury was the same as Bo Jackson’s, yea it’s 30 years later but healing wise I’m sure he was feeling it during his rookie season.  The Dolphins O- line is garbage, Tua himself admitted to not fully learning the playbook in his rookie season, his OC was Chan Gailey, lol, and his coach didn’t really want him.   He’s in a less ideal situation which makes it difficult to judge how good he is or isn’t.