Carson Strong (Nevada QB) -- UDFA SIGNED WITH EAGLES!

4for4EaglesNest

Watching Strong vs San Diego St, if he can get that knee right, his arm talent may surpass Herbert's. He’s using a 3/4 motion now and he can throw it anywhere on the field, pretty accurately. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 6:55 AM, The Blackfish said:

Watching Strong vs San Diego St, if he can get that knee right, his arm talent may surpass Herbert's. He’s using a 3/4 motion now and he can throw it anywhere on the field, pretty accurately. 

His knee is the big question mark against his draft stock, multiple surgeries on his knee and he's also had it drained and some speculation that the problem he has is degenerative depending on how mature his knee was at the time of repair.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

His knee is the big question mark against his draft stock, multiple surgeries on his knee and he's also had it drained and some speculation that the problem he has is degenerative depending on how mature his knee was at the time of repair.

It’s been an issue since HS where he was a good basketball player as well, he had a bunch of dissolvable nails put in his knee in his senior year, and has 2-3 clean out surgeries since. 
 His medicals are the biggest question mark going forward, always have been.  Whatever turd in the punch Bowl Nevada gets, that kid should sit out and start working on getting that knee as close to 100% as he can. 

• Like 1

He is seeing the LA Rams Dr on 12/2 to have his knee checked for the future Nevada Bowl Game. Also, I don’t remember hearing anyone having a bone taken from their hip and put into their knee, and he came back in 6-7 months after that surgery.  

From Nevada Sports Net

Strong underwent right knee surgery in February and had the same knee scoped in August. The knee injury dates to his high school career after he felt discomfort and clicking in that knee while playing in an AAU basketball tournament in Reno. The Vacaville, Calif., native had eight biodegradable nails inserted into his knee, which caused him to miss his senior season. He felt discomfort during the 2020 season, which led to the second surgery last winter that included a piece of his hip bone being inserted into his knee. That came with a 6- to 12-month recovery window, and Strong was cleared by his doctor at the 6-month mark after it was deemed his knee was structurally fit, although he dealt with inflammation in the knee throughout the season.

3 hours ago, Procus said:

Last QB we drafted out of Nevada worked out pretty well.

Legend of the Week: Randall Cunningham

Randell was UNLV, not Nevada U. Also completely diff eras of the game. 

Wouldnt touch this kid. Pickett would be the only QB worth a day 1 pick this year, otherwise no QB till round 4-6

• 2 weeks later...

He is worth a 2nd rounder (if team docs all clear him), which is where I think he will drop to. Either he goes early then (or some team reaches for him late in the 1st) or he drops way way down because teams question his knee.

I like him but after reading more about his knee it worries me enough to not draft him before someone else will take him. Nevada have a wide receiver named Romeo that always pops on tv when I watch their games though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

I like him but after reading more about his knee it worries me enough to not draft him before someone else will take him. Nevada have a wide receiver named Romeo that always pops on tv when I watch their games though. 

Agreed I wouldn't go there because of that knee... But hey we've been burned both ways in the last few years. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling we're gonna have alot of interest in this guy. I watched him live a few times and his arm is the real deal. He kinda reminds me of Foles minus the streakiness and equipped with Wentz level arm talent/velocity. Strong will never be a dynamic runner but he had much better mobility in 2020(before the surgery) than what was shown this year. If he can get back to that, i think he's worth taking a chance on in the late 1st-early 2nd range. 

• Like 1

Ok, if there is optimism about his knee that instantly makes him a first rounder. Howie is gonna have to be seriously pondering over his coffee now.

• Like 1

I’m sold. Use the Colts pick and get him (At this point Pickett will go too high in the draft for my liking).

Devonta, Quez and Dallas will be very happy having this kid throw their way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwahu said:

I’m sold. Use the Colts pick and get him (At this point Pickett will go too high in the draft for my liking).

Devonta, Quez and Dallas will be very happy having this kid throw their way.

We have possibly the best situation Strong could hope for as a "statue". None of the other QB needy teams possess a dominant offensive line or the #1 rushing attack like we do. Romeo Doubs & Cole Turner were by far his favorite targets to throw to. I think it's safe to say Devonta Smith & Dallas Goedert are upgrades. I really believe Strong could operate this offense at a high level and im hoping we take a shot on him.

First throw is like 62 air yards in the bucket. Second is a laser into a tight window with anticipation. His film is littered with NFL throw after NFL throw. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

We have possibly the best situation Strong could hope for as a "statue". None of the other QB needy teams possess a dominant offensive line or the #1 rushing attack like we do

That's very true... We do give most QBs the best protection in the league with our OL and run game. But QBs still get hit and I'd be worried about his knee withstanding a long time in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's very true... We do give most QBs the best protection in the league with our OL and run game. But QBs still get hit and I'd be worried about his knee withstanding a long time in the NFL. 

It's a fair concern but if our doctors clear him then i wouldnt be too worried about it. They did just draft Dickerson and his 4x surgically repaired knees with a high 2nd rd pick and that seems to be a great move thus far. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

It's a fair concern but if our doctors clear him then i wouldnt be too worried about it. They did just draft Dickerson and his 4x surgically repaired knees with a high 2nd rd pick and that seems to be a great move thus far. 

Oh I agree with you there. Although our medical team don't have a great track record. I mean they said to pass on Metcalf and our injury record is pretty atrocious. 

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I agree with you there. Although our medical team don't have a great track record. I mean they said to pass on Metcalf and our injury record is pretty atrocious. 

Also fair lol. Welp we'll just have to see how it plays out. I'll be content if we do decide to draft him. 

1 hour ago, KDUB1510 said:

Also fair lol. Welp we'll just have to see how it plays out. I'll be content if we do decide to draft him. 

I mean look it is a crap shoot. He could come in to the NFL and be absolutely fine. He could come in and struggle with that knee or other injuries. 

20 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

We have possibly the best situation Strong could hope for as a "statue". None of the other QB needy teams possess a dominant offensive line or the #1 rushing attack like we do. Romeo Doubs & Cole Turner were by far his favorite targets to throw to. I think it's safe to say Devonta Smith & Dallas Goedert are upgrades. I really believe Strong could operate this offense at a high level and im hoping we take a shot on him.

First throw is like 62 air yards in the bucket. Second is a laser into a tight window with anticipation. His film is littered with NFL throw after NFL throw. 

Oh yeah baby.

We can make it even easier on him by drafting his favorite teammate Romeo Doubs on Day 3 too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwahu said:

Oh yeah baby.

We can make it even easier on him by drafting his favorite teammate Romeo Doubs on Day 3 too.

I like Doubs but he kinda reminds me of agholor 😬. He has a few ugly concentration drops on film but he is a talented player. Agholor would've been a solid pick if we got him in the 3rd rd or later, which is likely where Doubs will be drafted. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

I like Doubs but he kinda reminds me of agholor 😬. He has a few ugly concentration drops on film but he is a talented player. Agholor would've been a solid pick if we got him in the 3rd rd or later, which is likely where Doubs will be drafted. 

I was mostly joking, but if he lasts to like the 5th then why not?

• Like 1