Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

6’3” 220lbs     Arm strength is better than Hurts, probably a little less than Wentz.  He was predicted as a 3rd day pick last year,. He stayed at Pitt for 2021 and so far he’s lights out.. 

10/2  Georgia Tech  Win

22-36-389  4 TDS    0 INTs   191 RTG    92 QBR

9/11 Tennesse         Win

24-36-285   2 TDS   0 INTs   151 RTG      81 QBR

9/18 Western Michigan   Loss

23-31-382   6 TDS    1 INT    235 RTG     91 QBR

On 10/14/2021 at 8:00 AM, Godfather said:

If he falls to the 4th rd, I'm all for it

Pretty much this above

No QB is worth a day 1 or 2 pick this year. Id take one QB in every draft in the 3rd to 6th round to always have one in the cycle and increase your chances of a hit. If Pickett fits in that range id have no problem in a mi to late round pick used on him. 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 6:56 AM, DeathByEagle said:

Pretty much this above

No QB is worth a day 1 or 2 pick this year. Id take one QB in every draft in the 3rd to 6th round to always have one in the cycle and increase your chances of a hit. If Pickett fits in that range id have no problem in a mi to late round pick used on him. 

With no QB’s going early (although some Mock Drafts already have Pickett and Corral going top 10) makes it harder for the Eagles to get trade offers to move up unless someone’s in love with Thibodeaux, Neal, or Hamilton.  Hopefully this isn’t a redo of the 2013 draft, ugh.      

I’d have Pickett today, no later than the early 2nd round. 

3 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

unless someone’s in love with Thibodeaux, Neal, or Hamilton.  Hopefully this isn’t a redo of the 2013 draft, ugh.      

If we are in position to get Thibodeaux then we should take him and not trade out. 

• Like 1

In 2020, Pickett was a good -- if not at all flashy -- QB. He finished the season with 2,553 yards, 21 TDs and nine interceptions. Fine, but unspectacular. Then think of 2018 Burrow, nowhere near a Heisman candidate, who put up similar numbers: 3,293 yards, 23 TDs, five interceptions in four more games.

Then -- poof! -- a switch flipped and, in 2019, Burrow blossomed into a Heisman winner and the leader of college football's most explosive offense. And once again, the comparisons to Pickett aren't far off.

2019 Burrow through six games: 2,262 yards, 27 touchdowns, three turnovers, 34 plays of 20+ yards, 93.1 Total QBR

2021 Pickett through six games: 2,114 yards, 24 touchdowns, three turnovers, 35 plays of 20+ yards, 88.4 Total QBR

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedaykickoff102121/college-football-week-8-kenny-pickett-clemson-big-12-test-more

I have been against drafting a QB in 2022, but with Ridder's continued success and Pickett's rise, I am warming up to that scenario.

Looking forward to seeing him against Clemson's defense.

Pickett is a good choice. So are Stetson Bennett (the next Drew Bress?) and JT Daniels.

On 10/21/2021 at 6:21 PM, D-Shiznit said:

In 2020, Pickett was a good -- if not at all flashy -- QB. He finished the season with 2,553 yards, 21 TDs and nine interceptions. Fine, but unspectacular. Then think of 2018 Burrow, nowhere near a Heisman candidate, who put up similar numbers: 3,293 yards, 23 TDs, five interceptions in four more games.

Then -- poof! -- a switch flipped and, in 2019, Burrow blossomed into a Heisman winner and the leader of college football's most explosive offense. And once again, the comparisons to Pickett aren't far off.

2019 Burrow through six games: 2,262 yards, 27 touchdowns, three turnovers, 34 plays of 20+ yards, 93.1 Total QBR

2021 Pickett through six games: 2,114 yards, 24 touchdowns, three turnovers, 35 plays of 20+ yards, 88.4 Total QBR

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedaykickoff102121/college-football-week-8-kenny-pickett-clemson-big-12-test-more

I have been against drafting a QB in 2022, but with Ridder's continued success and Pickett's rise, I am warming up to that scenario.

Looking forward to seeing him against Clemson's defense.

You are really comparing Burrow who was playing some of the top schools in the country with Pickett who has played all crap teams? 

6 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

You are really comparing Burrow who was playing some of the top schools in the country with Pickett who has played all crap teams? 

No. It was a direct quote from an ESPN article.

They are. Hence the web link...

24 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Rough showing so far against Clemson.

It is the #2 D in the country, but still.

As mentioned before, if hes there in the 4th round. Sure. Otherwise no thank you

45 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Rough showing so far against Clemson.

It is the #2 D in the country, but still.

Has come back strong. Adversity early on, but he has fought back.

Need to see him in some weather, if his hands are truly 8 1/4” should be fun with a bigger NFL ball. 

218 Yards and 2TDs in a half against the 2nd best D in the country that is littered with future 1st rounders.

Not too shabby.

Two fantastic drives, nice soft touch.

Some team will take him early in the range where it would be too much of a reach for us.  Unless Hurts continues to not be the guy and we move on.

2 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

just an fyi, Clemson is ranked 23rd, not 2nd in defense. 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

The broadcast showed a graphic showing them as 2nd behind Georgia, apparently it was for scoring Defense. Which is more impressive if you ask me.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

• Like 1

I’m hype on this kid now. Need to watch his snaps the rest of the year closely.

Eagles scouts were at this game btw 👀 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kwahu said:

Eagles scouts were at this game btw 👀 

Surely Eagles scouts are at most games for a lot of players...

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Surely Eagles scouts are at most games for a lot of players...

Especially Clemson. 

With the limited research and film study at this point, Id still say Pickett would be the QB I would go for if we go for any. I still don't believe any of these QBs are worth a first round pick but we all know the NFL over values the position and multiple QBs will go in the first. 

What I did like about Pickett yesterday was his pose in the pocket. He is a true pocket with mobility passer. Reads his progressions well. What I do also like unlike Strong is that he can throw all levels of the field and with zip or power behind it. He is accurate in his throws. Just in that game alone he showed multiple routes unlike I saw from Nevada. Is he a year older, yes but dont care about that. 

Would I take him in the first round? No..... I dont like it BUT with what we know in the NFL and the Eagles they will reach if they want a QB. If they do reach for one I guess he would be my choice at this early stage of the process. 

I have made my peace with the fact that Lowie will draft a QB with their highest pick, the only way that doesn't happen is if we trade the farm for Watson/Wilson.

There is no way in hell they roll into next year with Hurts/Minshew.

All the analysts did say that a QB will emerge just as Burrow/Baker/Zach did in their years, Pickett is that guy in this class.

I still want Ridder ahead of him because I think his ceiling is higher, but Pickett really showed me something against an all 5-star Defense.

Also, Pickett's age is a non-factor, Wentz was pretty much the same age. If anything, his hand size can be an issue.