Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

7 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

I have made my peace with the fact that Lowie will draft a QB with their highest pick, the only way that doesn't happen is if we trade the farm for Watson/Wilson.

There is no way in hell they roll into next year with Hurts/Minshew.

All the analysts did say that a QB will emerge just as Burrow/Baker/Zach did in their years, Pickett is that guy in this class.

I still want Ridder ahead of him because I think his ceiling is higher, but Pickett really showed me something against an all 5-star Defense.

Also, Pickett's age is a non-factor, Wentz was pretty much the same age. If anything, his hand size can be an issue.

My gut says the same.  I suppose the silver lining is, we shouldn't need to use multiple 1s to get him ... use one of those picks and then the other 2 (assuming we get Indy's) to add top end talent at other positions (DE?  CB?).  

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

My gut says the same.  I suppose the silver lining is, we shouldn't need to use multiple 1s to get him ... use one of those picks and then the other 2 (assuming we get Indy's) to add top end talent at other positions (DE?  CB?).  

I'm with you. If Lowie believes there is a franchise QB out there and all it costs us is a single 1st, I'm good with that bargain even if it is a value reach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I’m okay with Pickett, a DE like Hutchinson or Karlaftis and a corner like Elam, Booth or Gardner if we really do want to use a high pick on a QB.

Good haul and could be a franchise altering haul if Pickett pans out.

Then again, if Sirianni doesn’t improve as a playcaller...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I’m okay with Pickett, a DE like Hutchinson or Karlaftis and a corner like Elam, Booth or Gardner if we really do want to use a high pick on a QB.

Good haul and could be a franchise altering haul if Pickett pans out.

Then again, if Sirianni doesn’t improve as a playcaller...

Funny ... when posting about the possiblity of taking Pickett, I was thinking if we could grab Karlaftis and Booth that would be a tremendous day 1.  

If Sirianni doesn't work out, then at least we've added talent for the next HC to work with.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Funny ... when posting about the possiblity of taking Pickett, I was thinking if we could grab Karlaftis and Booth that would be a tremendous day 1.  

If Sirianni doesn't work out, then at least we've added talent for the next HC to work with.  

Exactly!

Some/any foundation for whoever the next HC will be... Pickett, Karlaftis and Booth would be a good start.

• Like 1

If Howie can pull off a draft where our 3 first round picks are a combination of:

Pick 1 - Pickett/Ridder

Pick 2 - Huthcinson/Enagbare/Leal/Elam

Pick 3 - Booth/Karlaftis/Drake/Linderbaum

Then we should thank our lucky stars and call it a day.

Bonus points if he can add a safety like Battle in the 2nd.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

If Howie can pull off a draft where our 3 first round picks are a combination of:

Pick 1 - Pickett/Ridder

Pick 2 - Huthcinson/Enagbare/Leal/Elam

Pick 3 - Booth/Karlaftis/Drake/Linderbaum

Then we should thank our lucky stars and call it a day.

Bonus points if he can add a safety like Battle in the 2nd.

I'd say 2022 will be THE most important draft of Howie's career.  He absolutely needs to kill it.  If he picks players based on HIS board rather than heeding the advice of the scouting department and ends up with a Reagor, Dillard, Marcus Smith, Lurie needs to show him the door.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Surely Eagles scouts are at most games for a lot of players...

And they’re surely watching this QB with a finer eye now.

Children tackling men. 

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

I'd say 2022 will be THE most important draft of Howie's career.  He absolutely needs to kill it.  If he picks players based on HIS board rather than heeding the advice of the scouting department and ends up with a Reagor, Dillard, Marcus Smith, Lurie needs to show him the door.  

Howie will be Howie and the most important draft ever will be ruined if he’s here for it. 

To think I was actually contemplating about going to this game in the pre-season. 

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No chance he lasts past the mid 2nd.  

After that Clemson game, he just became a 1st rd pick

• Like 2

I think he just made Kiper’s top 25 big board. 

Qb’s can fly up a draft board. Look at Mac Jones last year. I don’t think anyone envisioned him going that high early in the season.

Burrow was a supposed 6th round pick and then boom. Same with Baker.

We see this every year, a QB emerges and rises to the top of the draft boards.

From ESPN:

Pickett is making a leap not unlike Joe Burrow's from two seasons ago. After his impressive performance against Clemson, I'm ready to put him on my Big Board. The fifth-year senior has been tremendous this season, completing 68.9% of his passes with 23 touchdowns and just one interception. He ranks third in the country in QBR (88.1). He has 18 career rushing touchdowns. Pickett was up and down the past two seasons, throwing 18 picks and averaging 6.9 yards per attempt. He's up to 9.2 this season. He is accurate to all three levels of the field, has shown patience in taking the checkdown throws when necessary and has good zip on his throws. Offensive coordinator Mark Whipple has done a great job with Pickett's development.

Now, he has started 43 games in his Pitt career, so NFL teams will like that he has experience. (The last first-rounder with that many starts was Baker Mayfield with 46.) But Pickett does have some bad tape on his résumé, so scouts and execs are going to have to be comfortable with his improvement and believe that he's a different quarterback. The signs are there, and his ability to use his legs to maneuver the pocket and scramble when he has to is underrated. I really like Pickett's 2021 tape. In a quarterback class that is far from settled, he's my new No. 1 guy.

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No chance he lasts past the mid 2nd.  

Well we are going to have an early 2nd so if he doesn't go in the 1st that would be ideal ... use our 1s to fortify the defense and take him at the top of the 2nd.  Alternately, if Howie can manage to trade one of those 1s to pick up a 2023 1st and a late 2022 1st (and possibly a 2022 2nd as well), we could take him late 1st if they really want him and are concerned he doesn't last until early 2nd.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Well we are going to have an early 2nd so if he doesn't go in the 1st that would be ideal ... use our 1s to fortify the defense and take him at the top of the 2nd.  Alternately, if Howie can manage to trade one of those 1s to pick up a 2023 1st and a late 2022 1st (and possibly a 2022 2nd as well), we could take him late 1st if they really want him and are concerned he doesn't last until early 2nd.  

That would be ideal.  Keep 1 top 5 pick, 1 teens pick, and trade the 2nd top 10 pick for a 2022 pick in the 20's, a 2023 1st rounder and maybe a 3rd in 2021.  Get a DE/CB/Pickett in R1.  I do like this kid, the rest of this season is going to be huge for him.  Though, if Ridder looks good in the CFP he can very well earn the #1 QB spot too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

That would be ideal.  Keep 1 top 5 pick, 1 teens pick, and trade the 2nd top 10 pick for a 2022 pick in the 20's, a 2023 1st rounder and maybe a 3rd in 2021.  Get a DE/CB/Pickett in R1.  I do like this kid, the rest of this season is going to be huge for him.  Though, if Ridder looks good in the CFP he can very well earn the #1 QB spot too.

I do like the idea of adding a QB to the mix just not early (especially top half of 1st rd).  If there was some elite prospect to be had that would change my opinion.  So hopefully we use those high picks wisely.  

On 10/24/2021 at 6:26 AM, D-Shiznit said:

I have made my peace with the fact that Lowie will draft a QB with their highest pick, the only way that doesn't happen is if we trade the farm for Watson/Wilson.

I have not and will not.  I do not believe that any of the QBs in this class are worthy of the 1st round or even of the 2nd round.  I'd rather take the long-term strategy.  Keep Hurts/Minshew as placeholders (and suck next year) but build a team around the QB position.  And get a real defense, complete with a good MikeLB.  That way, when a better QB is drafted in 2023, he'll arrive to a better-built team.

No, of course Howie won't do any of this.  But when he doesn't, I won't be "at peace" about it.  I'm going to be angry.  And I'll be right just as I was right when I was angry about the Hurts pick.  

1 hour ago, ilikepargo said:

I have not and will not.  I do not believe that any of the QBs in this class are worthy of the 1st round or even of the 2nd round.  I'd rather take the long-term strategy.  Keep Hurts/Minshew as placeholders (and suck next year) but build a team around the QB position.  And get a real defense, complete with a good MikeLB.  That way, when a better QB is drafted in 2023, he'll arrive to a better-built team.

No, of course Howie won't do any of this.  But when he doesn't, I won't be "at peace" about it.  I'm going to be angry.  And I'll be right just as I was right when I was angry about the Hurts pick.  

I used to believe that as well, but after watching Pickett play, he is worth a top pick IMO.

Everybody always said a QB would rise this year like Burrow/Wilson/Baker did in their drafts, Pickett is that guy.

Good size, good arm strength, accurate on all levels of the field, smart, good character, leadership, and can move a little bit too.

I'm on board.

To early to tell at this point in the process but of the available QBs this year he is at the top of my list.  How high he goes will depend on how he plays rest of games especially the bowl game.  Then senior bowl is big and combine/workouts.  If he does well in the bowl game and is lights out at senior bowl he will go in the first for sure.

Clemson certainly brought the pressure, and Kenny had to run around a lot more than I wanted to watch (I see enough of that on Sundays) - but he hangs in, and still looks for targets downfield after he’s forced from the pocket.  Not as accurate on the move as I hoped, but he wasn’t making bad decisions either. Saw the fastball, but he didn’t have many opportunities to feather much. Delivered the ball adequately for TDs on a long cross and easy seam WR vs LB matchup - somethings when QBs deal with a lot pressure they just don’t see the open guy, so credit given. Not a highlight reel game, but the Clemson defense isn’t the problem with that team.

After the Clemson game Pickett is going first round, and we're likely to be ahead of other teams in the market for a QB so Howie is bound to be tempted,  one note of caution is a sudden upturn in numbers can be a Joe Burrow, or it can also be a Zach Wilson, so I'd ultimately rather have someone like Justin Herbert who had multiple seasons of solid play, that said if his numbers end up as big a step up as Burrow's were his last year at LSU, that'd be hard to ignore if we were in the market given the picks we likely have, but only if we don't get involved in an auction to get ahead of the Giants or some such..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

After the Clemson game Pickett is going first round, and we're likely to be ahead of other teams in the market for a QB so Howie is bound to be tempted,  one note of caution is a sudden upturn in numbers can be a Joe Burrow, or it can also be a Zach Wilson, so I'd ultimately rather have someone like Justin Herbert who had multiple seasons of solid play, that said if his numbers end up as big a step up as Burrow's were his last year at LSU, that'd be hard to ignore if we were in the market given the picks we likely have, but only if we don't get involved in an auction to get ahead of the Giants or some such..

Couldn't agree more! That's my exact point with Pickett. I don't see an elite QB. I may very well be wrong but I may be right. The sudden uptick in stats and play is a concern. It was with Burrow, it is with Pickett.