Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Couldn't agree more! That's my exact point with Pickett. I don't see an elite QB. I may very well be wrong but I may be right. The sudden uptick in stats and play is a concern. It was with Burrow, it is with Pickett. 

But you did see an elite QB in Burrow?

There's no doubt that he has climbed into the 1st round now.  He has excellent size, strong arm, and really good mobility. He's also got an "edge" to him. A real bonus is how experienced he is at the P5 level compared to alot of guys that come out (even though there is a big jump this year).  The thing that makes him stand out to me is how he is raising the play around him.  Pitt isn't known for getting the #1 super recruits that the premier programs get, yet they are playing very well and in contention to win the conference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

There's no doubt that he has climbed into the 1st round now.  He has excellent size, strong arm, and really good mobility. He's also got an "edge" to him. A real bonus is how experienced he is at the P5 level compared to alot of guys that come out (even though there is a big jump this year).  The thing that makes him stand out to me is how he is raising the play around him.  Pitt isn't known for getting the #1 super recruits that the premier programs get, yet they are playing very well and in contention to win the conference.

Those are all excellent qualities.  How is his accuracy and deep ball placement?  

16 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Those are all excellent qualities.  How is his accuracy and deep ball placement?  

One thing that is consistent among all his scouting reports this year is that he is accurate on all levels of the field, including the deep ball.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Even more so than Pickett’s athleticism, however, his arm demands attention. The Pitt QB has a crisp, compact, and efficient throwing motion, which easily generates velocity. With this velocity, Pickett leads receivers downfield and pushes the ball past defenders. He also fits the ball into tight spots and has the elasticity to adjust his trajectory and ball placement.

Going further with Pickett’s elasticity, he flashes the ability to adjust his arm angles on throws. Pickett also generates velocity off-platform and delivers accurate throws on the run. Even off his back foot, he creates impressive momentum. Furthermore, he can methodically place balls according to receiver leverage downfield. Pickett could be more consistent here, as we’ll get into, but the capability is undoubtedly there.

• Like 1

If we take two defensive guys out of these three I’m "ok” with one of them being a QB but not for any pick in the top 5. Pickett is really the ONLY QB I would be comfortable taking this year on night 1. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

If we take two defensive guys out of these three I’m "ok” with one of them being a QB but not for any pick in the top 5. Pickett is really the ONLY QB I would be comfortable taking this year on night 1. 

I'm getting there but I'm still not there yet. If we used the final first round pick on a QB (likely Pickett) then ok. But I'm not using a top 10 pick on him or any of the QBs in this draft. 

• Like 1

I am praying that there is some weird college measurement thing going on and he actually has 9’ hands. Which would be Burrow’s size and he isn’t getting the ball knocked out more than other QBs. Teddy B has tiny hands and Derek Carr and self tacklin Daniel Jones had more fumbles than Bridgewater last season.

If he’s good, he’ll protect the ball well anyway.

5 hours ago, Kwahu said:

I am praying that there is some weird college measurement thing going on and he actually has 9’ hands. Which would be Burrow’s size and he isn’t getting the ball knocked out more than other QBs. Teddy B has tiny hands and Derek Carr and self tacklin Daniel Jones had more fumbles than Bridgewater last season.

If he’s good, he’ll protect the ball well anyway.

Teddy B has 9.25 so Kenny might have a way to go to just have small hands. Another player comparison I read recently in terms of potential is Tony Romo - who interestingly enough has 8 7/8” hands (allegedly).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Teddy B has 9.25 so Kenny might have a way to go to just have small hands. Another player comparison I read recently in terms of potential is Tony Romo - who interestingly enough has 8 7/8” hands (allegedly).

Small hands hun? Guess the only thing he has going for him with the ladies is that he will be drafted in the NFL

Pitt got schmeckledorfed out of a safety by the refs, but he still threw two picks. Roughest outing of the year for him and will cool the hype. Good for us as we won’t be talking about having to draft him with our top 1st or something ridiculous now.

In my own current rankings he drops a bit, a bit closer to Carson Strong, Corral and Haener now. Still lots of fun to watch.

6 hours ago, Kwahu said:

Pitt got schmeckledorfed out of a safety by the refs, but he still threw two picks. Roughest outing of the year for him and will cool the hype. Good for us as we won’t be talking about having to draft him with our top 1st or something ridiculous now.

In my own current rankings he drops a bit, a bit closer to Carson Strong, Corral and Haener now. Still lots of fun to watch.

71% completion for 519 yards and 3 TDs keeps the hype train going.  His 2021 is really special, so far.

Willis, Corral, Pickett at top, IMO.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And who would you go with bud?

I'm OK with all three, but Corral probably has the least amount of question marks.  I question Willis because of strength of schedule, but no denying talent.  Pickett has the one spectacular year, but has tons of experience at a Power 5 level.   All will be upgrades over current situation.  I'd prefer Corral or Pickett, then Willis.  

48 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I'm OK with all three, but Corral probably has the least amount of question marks.  I question Willis because of strength of schedule, but no denying talent.  Pickett has the one spectacular year, but has tons of experience at a Power 5 level.   All will be upgrades over current situation.  I'd prefer Corral or Pickett, then Willis.  

See I think right now... My order is Corral, Willis, Pickett. But in a weeks time that'll likely change. 

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

See I think right now... My order is Corral, Willis, Pickett. But in a weeks time that'll likely change. 

Sam Howell could sneak in to be #4. 

I just can't get past that brutally weak schedule that Willis' team plays.  None of these other guys that we are discussing play for a lower tier team, thus play against more NFL caliber talent every week.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Sam Howell could sneak in to be #4. 

I just can't get past that brutally weak schedule that Willis' team plays.  None of these other guys that we are discussing play for a lower tier team, thus play against more NFL caliber talent every week.

Howell should be nowhere near the first round. Nor second. 

13 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Howell should be nowhere near the first round. Nor second. 

Howell is easily a Top 5 QB in the draft in my opinion (and likely Top 3 in the professionals' eyes).  He has 4 years of P5 level starting experience and has performed really well.  Like Pitt and Pickett, NC doesn't get top recruits like Clemson, OU, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. do and so he has to elevate his teammates more than the typical blue blood QB has to.  

There are going to be alot of guys go early.  All of these guys (less Rattler) aren't at typical blue blood programs, so people don't know as much about them.

36 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Howell is easily a Top 5 QB in the draft in my opinion (and likely Top 3 in the professionals' eyes).  He has 4 years of P5 level starting experience and has performed really well.  Like Pitt and Pickett, NC doesn't get top recruits like Clemson, OU, Alabama, Ohio State, etc. do and so he has to elevate his teammates more than the typical blue blood QB has to.  

I've actually been informed that some scouts have a 6th round grade on him. I'm definitely out on Howell. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I've actually been informed that some scouts have a 6th round grade on him. I'm definitely out on Howell. 

6th is ridiculous. I'd love to see those reports to understand the concept and qualifications. Sounds like a hot take from some random internet blogger.

13 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

6th is ridiculous. I'd love to see those reports to understand the concept and qualifications. Sounds like a hot take from some random internet blogger.

It'll be an early year grade, prior to this season his numbers are unspectacular, he's taken a big step up across the board.  You look at the early year QB draft scouting and they're struggling to give anyone outside Rattler a first round grade, even now there aren't many solid first round grades.

53 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It'll be an early year grade, prior to this season his numbers are unspectacular, he's taken a big step up across the board.  You look at the early year QB draft scouting and they're struggling to give anyone outside Rattler a first round grade, even now there aren't many solid first round grades.

I'll be surprised if 5 don't go first round (if the season ended today).  Alot of the problem this year is that so many of these top guys aren't on premium programs surrounded by premium talent.  None of them have the benefit that Joe Burrow had at the skill positions.  Just look at what Howell and Pickett have had around them for their careers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I'll be surprised if 5 don't go first round (if the season ended today).  Alot of the problem this year is that so many of these top guys aren't on premium programs surrounded by premium talent.  None of them have the benefit that Joe Burrow had at the skill positions.  Just look at what Howell and Pickett have had around them for their careers.

I'm not saying QB's won't go, but I think it'll be like this years draft with a lot of 2nd day talent that needs to sit and learn for a couple of years being picked in the first and put in to start day 1 and being ruined in the process.

For me Pickett and Ridder are the only guys I'd consider day 1.

Corral, Carson Strong and Malik Willis are all good but not that good, Willis in particular looks way overrated, when you're playing the level of opponent he's playing against week in week out, he needs to be putting up Trey Lance zero picks type numbers to be even talked about as top half of the first, Carson Strong and Matt Corral are just ordinary level talents that the college game turns out every year that ends up playing back up or 3rd string for a couple of years before trying their hand in the CFL.

Honestly I'd take the blue chip talent on defence or OL with our 3 picks this year, maybe see if you can pick someone like Hendon Hooker up day 3 (although he's starting to draw attention now) or Dustin Crum as a late round project and hope that CJ Stroud, Bryce Young at 'Bama or Max Johnson at LSU take another step forward next year and maybe Rattler rebuilds his reputation in another programme and go for the QB in a better draft in 2023.

• Like 1