Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

7 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I'll be surprised if 5 don't go first round (if the season ended today).  Alot of the problem this year is that so many of these top guys aren't on premium programs surrounded by premium talent.  None of them have the benefit that Joe Burrow had at the skill positions.  Just look at what Howell and Pickett have had around them for their careers.

5? Hmm that feels very high but we all know the QB position is highly prioritised. That said I don't think 5, not with this class. Willis very very likely goes as does Pickett and Corral. Beyond that though I'm not sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

QB always gets overvalued by draft time. Pickett right now is probably a low 1st round prospect, but by draft time he probably will be in the top 10 or top 5.  I think Howie and Lurie will go QB with their top 10 pick. I would prefer defense with our top pick. If we end up with 3 firsts, I expect Howie will move one of those three into 2023 because I don't see him wanting to spend money in the same year for 3 firsts.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

QB always gets overvalued by draft time. Pickett right now is probably a low 1st round prospect, but by draft time he probably will be in the top 10 or top 5.  I think Howie and Lurie will go QB with their top 10 pick. I would prefer defense with our top pick. If we end up with 3 firsts, I expect Howie will move one of those three into 2023 because I don't see him wanting to spend money in the same year for 3 firsts.

You’re probably right, especially if FO and Sirianni prefer a more traditional QB, Pickett will be one to watch.

Don’t know about you but for me Pickett has future Steeler QB written all over him. Not because he’s playing at Pitts but just the type of person and QB he is. He’d fit right in there with Big Ben a shadow of his former self.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 1:03 PM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Honestly I'd take the blue chip talent on defence or OL with our 3 picks this year, maybe see if you can pick someone like Hendon Hooker up day 3 (although he's starting to draw attention now) or Dustin Crum as a late round project and hope that CJ Stroud, Bryce Young at 'Bama or Max Johnson at LSU take another step forward next year and maybe Rattler rebuilds his reputation in another programme and go for the QB in a better draft in 2023.

That would seems like the smartest strategy but you just know Howie is probably thinking he put himself into position purposely for a QB and will stay the path even if it means taking a lesser talent (with potentially multiple high picks to get there) ... he just can't help himself.  I see nothing wrong with avoiding a QB in a weak class and stocking up on elite talent at other positions since the roster has so many positions in need of young playmakers and rolling with Hurts/Minshew/another QB for another year.  Howie needs to have the longer view in mind.  But again, I don't trust him to do so.  

With that said, IF we were to go QB in the first, my choice would be Pickett too (and hoping it wouldn't cost us multiple 1s to get him).  Would be nice if we could use our top pick on a defensive player and one of our other 1s that will likely be around pick 10 overall on Pickett.  

It's hard to imagine that last night didn't get Pickett into the discussion for the 1st QB taken.

15 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

It's hard to imagine that last night didn't get Pickett into the discussion for the 1st QB taken.

McShay moved him to his #1 QB... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Breeze 44 said:

McShay moved him to his #1 QB... 

I just still don't see it. I think if he lands with the right team he's going to be good and he's going to be fine. Most of the league though won't be the right team. 

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just still don't see it. I think if he lands with the right team he's going to be good and he's going to be fine. Most of the league though won't be the right team. 

In a mediocre class, the most traditional, most pro ready QB might be the No.1 in the class and that happens to be Pickett IMO.

The flipside to that coin is the majority feels that none of the QB’s coming out are worthy of a top 5, maybe even a top 10 pick.

The question is; are the Eagles confident enough in Hurts or does Sirianni prefer a  different, maybe even a more traditional type of QB?!

12 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

In a mediocre class, the most traditional, most pro ready QB might be the No.1 in the class and that happens to be Pickett IMO.

I don't disagree with that. But that's why I think Pickett could be set up to fail. He will end up being over drafted and end up on a team that's not going to be able to help him. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't disagree with that. But that's why I think Pickett could be set up to fail. He will end up being over drafted and end up on a team that's not going to be able to help him. 

Pickett should be selected by a team with a solid foundation who know exactly  what type of QB they’re looking for.

Pickett and the Steelers are a match made in heaven IMO.

The Eagles on the other hand are still looking for an identity and with that said should look elsewhere. Give that defense a talent infusion for example before thinking about taking a signal caller again.

Build a bad ass defense, establish an identity on both sides of the ball and if you come to the conclusion Hurts is definitely not the guy, start looking for the right QB after the 2022 season.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Spot on. To me Steelers are a really good match. I think NO would be another really good match for him. Teams with a really good solid base who need a QB. Those are few and far between though of course. 

4 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Pickett should be selected by a team with a solid foundation who know exactly  what type of QB they’re looking for.

The Eagles on the other hand are still looking for an identity and with that said should look elsewhere. Give that defense a talent infusion for example before thinking about taking a signal caller again.

Build a bad ass defense, establish an identity on both sides of the ball and if you come to the conclusion Hurts is definitely not the guy, start looking for the right QB after the 2022 season.

No position sets the offensive identity of an organization more than the QB.  If Siri is a Reich disciple, I think we know what the QB looks like and Pickett is pretty close.  Just note the QB that Reich has most recently aligned himself with (and paid a ton for) and has had the most success with.  If you believe the reports, Siri came here to coach the same QB. I think we can make some reasonable assumptions about his ideal QB.  

That said, I don't see the Eagles taking a QB right now.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Spot on. To me Steelers are a really good match. I think NO would be another really good match for him. Teams with a really good solid base who need a QB. Those are few and far between though of course. 

I believe Corral would be a perfect match for the Saints but I also think Pickett would be fine for here because I believe that he is

the type of QB Sirianni is looking for in his Offense. It's going to be a long final games as well as off season so i suppose we all just have to ride the waves

til then.    

26 minutes ago, Breeze 44 said:

I believe Corral would be a perfect match for the Saints but I also think Pickett would be fine for here because I believe that he is

the type of QB Sirianni is looking for in his Offense. It's going to be a long final games as well as off season so i suppose we all just have to ride the waves

til then.    

I think Corral has tremendous upside but I'm definitely concerned by his size and is he going to turn the ball over too much in the NFL?

Pickett just looks good to me but not special. I may be wrong but I just don't see someone special. 

QB's under the Colts during Frank and Siri era

- Andrew Luck

- Philip Rivers

- Jacoby Brissett

= Now Carson Wentz

Pickett fits that style QB more then any other QB in the draft this year. The key question is not what fits Nick's offense or what Nick wants. It's what does Lurie and Howie want? If they really want a throwing QB and want a passing offense then they will want Pickett. If they want this new fad of a running QB then they stick with Hurts next year. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

QB's under the Colts during Frank and Siri era

- Andrew Luck

- Philip Rivers

- Jacoby Brissett

= Now Carson Wentz

Pickett fits that style QB more then any other QB in the draft this year. The key question is not what fits Nick's offense or what Nick wants. It's what does Lurie and Howie want? If they really want a throwing QB and want a passing offense then they will want Pickett. If they want this new fad of a running QB then they stick with Hurts next year. 

Or they wait for Bryce Young, CJ Stroud and Will Rogers to come out next year, Rogers and Young with another year will be head and shoulders above this year's class.

Comes down to Lurie and Howie on if they want to be patient or not. The fact Howie is now attending games in person to watch QBs, esp now 2 for Pickett tells me they are not. 

I've been on the fence regarding drafting a QB early this year, but if they are going to use one of their early 1sts on a QB, Pickett makes the most sense of these guys. Otherwise maybe Ridder with that Colts 1st or a developmental prospect in Rnd 3 if they decide to go in a different direction with the first few picks.

Jalen Hurts may never be a "franchise QB", but he has potential to be just good enough with the right supporting cast. Drafting Devonta Smith was a great step in that direction, as well as focusing more on the running game, which is currently the strength of this offense, no matter how "unsexy" running the ball may be to Jeffrey Lurie and the front office. If it helps win games, it's good enough.

14 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Comes down to Lurie and Howie on if they want to be patient or not. The fact Howie is now attending games in person to watch QBs, esp now 2 for Pickett tells me they are not. 

You may be right, but this could very well be due diligence. In the 2013 pre-draft process, Jeffrey Lurie went down to Morgantown, WV to see Geno Smith's workout. Obviously it's a different situation attending a game versus going to a workout closer to the draft, but the Eagles aren't going to show their hand even if they feel strongly about Hurts still. 

Scouting all of these QBs will only help them field trade offers from teams, because the Eagles can honestly go either way on draft day.

4 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Jalen Hurts may never be a "franchise QB", but he has potential to be just good enough with the right supporting cast.

And that's why I think they should go with Hurts for next year (if he plays pretty well the rest of the year). I think Hurts is good enough to start in the league even though I don't think he's good enough to be a franchise QB.

13 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

You may be right, but this could very well be due diligence. In the 2013 pre-draft process, Jeffrey Lurie went down to Morgantown, WV to see Geno Smith's workout. Obviously it's a different situation attending a game versus going to a workout closer to the draft, but the Eagles aren't going to show their hand even if they feel strongly about Hurts still. 

Scouting all of these QBs will only help them field trade offers from teams, because the Eagles can honestly go either way on draft day.

That's a decent point actually, if teams think we may go QB we may be able to start some pick trading trying to get ahead of us and move around the board picking up extra picks like last year.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 7:40 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Or they wait for Bryce Young, CJ Stroud and Will Rogers to come out next year, Rogers and Young with another year will be head and shoulders above this year's class.

Don’t forget Tanner McKee from Stanford, he’s 3 yrs out of high school because he did a two year mission in South America. This is his first year as a starter. 6’6” 230.  Not as athletic as Andrew Luck but he has a better arm.  Grayson McCall as well, if he stays in school. 

• Like 1