Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

13 hours ago, T-1000 said:

So you want them to essentially punt on 2022 after missing the playoffs in 2020 and likely missing this year ultimately. It's not going to happen. Howie didn't load up with three first round picks to take half measures and keep kicking the can down the road.

Tbf you want to piss away draft capital drafting any QB now when literally every scout says that this year is worse than last and may have no day 1 starters at QB, I'd take a project guy mid rounds next year but no way I'm drafting a guy with a worse college resume than Hurts with a first rounder just because I don't like Hurts this season, that's asking to be the pre Baker Mayfield Cleveland Browns.

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Stunned at the amount of people on this board that like Stroud…

Super overrated. His stats are misleading

I would take Bryce Young and Will Rogers over Stroud, although if Stroud maintains his numbers with new wideouts next year he'd be hard to argue with.

10 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Tbf you want to piss away draft capital drafting any QB now when literally every scout says that this year is worse than last and may have no day 1 starters at QB, I'd take a project guy mid rounds next year but no way I'm drafting a guy with a worse college resume than Hurts with a first rounder just because I don't like Hurts this season, that's asking to be the pre Baker Mayfield Cleveland Browns.

First of all, that is incorrect. Most ''scouts'' have Corral, Pickett, and Willis as legit first round talents just not true number 1 overall type picks. Second, ''scouts'' are wrong all of the time just like last year when the best rookie QB in the draft class was the 4th QB off the board and went 15th overall. How about a few years ago when Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson went 10th and 12th while Mitch Trubisky went 2nd. It's up to the Eagles to find the right guy and develop him properly despite what you and other ''scouts'' think.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, T-1000 said:

It's up to the Eagles to find the right guy and develop him properly despite what you and other ''scouts'' think.

I'm not big on this years draft class but this is spot on. So much comes down to where a prospect lands, how they are then coached and what pieces you put around them. It's why I'm actually not big on them bringing Pickett in to Philly because I'm not sure we have the pieces and I'm not convinced he'll get the right coaching. I think Pickett could be really good in the NFL but he needs to go to a team that will help him and develop him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not big on this years draft class but this is spot on. So much comes down to where a prospect lands, how they are then coached and what pieces you put around them. It's why I'm actually not big on them bringing Pickett in to Philly because I'm not sure we have the pieces and I'm not convinced he'll get the right coaching. I think Pickett could be really good in the NFL but he needs to go to a team that will help him and develop him. 

I agree with that point.  Not necessarily Pickett only, organizational stability, coaching, and system plays a big part in success at QB.   

I know this isn't your point, but it is a hard to sell the concept that  Pickett, Willis, Corral, Ridder, and Howell don't have a higher NFL ceiling than Hurts.   There may actually be more than that, but that seems to be a theme used in these QB topics, at times.  

As long as I don't have to package any resources up, I'd consider long and hard about taking them if available with one of the picks.  We are already talking about throwing away next year to see what Hurts has, so why not do that with a higher upside QB?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I know this isn't your point, but it is a hard to sell the concept that  Pickett, Willis, Corral, Ridder, and Howell don't have a higher NFL ceiling than Hurts.   There may actually be more than that, but that seems to be a theme used in these QB topics, at times.  

Oh I agree all of those I think have higher ceilings than Hurts. It's why they are being talked about as first round picks whereas Hurts was not. But I also think at least 2 of those have bust written all over them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I agree all of those I think have higher ceilings than Hurts. It's why they are being talked about as first round picks whereas Hurts was not. But I also think at least 2 of those have bust written all over them. 

You'll never know until one of them is in the mix.  There are very few sure things when it comes to players, especially QBs.  Very few are the franchise carrying players.  I'd just hate to sit on 2022 to see if Hurts  in year 3 improves "enough" versus trying someone new on a rookie contract. 

8 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I agree with that point.  Not necessarily Pickett only, organizational stability, coaching, and system plays a big part in success at QB.   

As long as I don't have to package any resources up, I'd consider long and hard about taking them if available with one of the picks.  We are already talking about throwing away next year to see what Hurts has, so why not do that with a higher upside QB?

I agree. I'm not packaging multiple picks to move up into the top three for any of these guys. That being said, if they really like one of them and they happen to be there with their first pick I would be more than happy to see them draft one. Similar to how there were rumors of the Patriots trading up and they sat back and let Mac Jones fall into their laps at 15. They could come away with the QB and still get two potential studs to help overhaul the defense, and still have an early 2nd round pick to add another potential impact player. I have no clue who will be there in the 2nd round but let's say they came out of the first round with Kenny Pickett, and TWO OF George Karlaftis, Demarvin Leal, Nakobe Dean or one of the top CB's after Stingley. Who the frick would be complaining about that haul.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kwahu said:

Can’t lie I’m still spooked by the hand size lol

If his hands truly measure 8 1/4”, it’s definitely a concern.  That just doesn’t seem right, it’s extremely tiny, like a 12 yr old girls hands.  I would guess they measure 8 3/4”.  
 The measurement is from the end of your pinkie, to the end of your thumb, spread out. 
 Strong IMO is the best passer in this class, and his arm is much better than Picketts. Medicals are his issue. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Just to talk to your higher ceiling point, there isn't a Scout in this country that wouldn't say Wilson, Fields and Lawrence would be far and away at the top of this years class if they were coming out now, explain how a sub Zac Wilson QB helps us do bupkuss next year, it's not about finding the right guy, sometimes the right guy isn't there.

You want to take Desmond Ridder, Carson Strong, Bailey Zappe, Sam Hartman or Hendon Hooker in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th or someone like Dustin Crum as a UDFA sign me up, but reaching for a guy in the first because convention says you only get franchise guys in the first in this draft, nah not having that.

Corral and Willis are two of the most overrated prospects I've ever seen, If Hurt's numbers his last year at Oklahoma were solely a product of Lincoln Riley's offense then Corral owes his rating to Lane Kiffin.

Guarantee you draft either Corral or Willis first round and next year this board will be full of alternating polls titled 'Should we fire Howie?' and 'Should we spend another 1st on a FrAnCHisE QB?'

17 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

If his hands truly measure 8 1/4”, it’s definitely a concern.  That just doesn’t seem right, it’s extremely tiny, like a 12 yr old girls hands.  I would guess they measure 8 3/4”.  
 The measurement is from the end of your pinkie, to the end of your thumb, spread out. 
 Strong IMO is the best passer in this class, and his arm is much better than Picketts. Medicals are his issue. 

The hand size thing is the same level of science free nonsense that had people worrying about Devonta Smiths weight, it's one of those NFL scouting quirks where every scout says hands need to be big so teams pick big handed guys and then point to the data that only big handed guys succeed in the NFL, it's selection bias.

Put it this way Chip Kelly said QB hand size was as important as height.

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Just to talk to your higher ceiling point, there isn't a Scout in this country that wouldn't say Wilson, Fields and Lawrence would be far and away at the top of this years class if they were coming out now, explain how a sub Zac Wilson QB helps us do bupkuss next year, it's not about finding the right guy, sometimes the right guy isn't there.

You want to take Desmond Ridder, Carson Strong, Bailey Zappe, Sam Hartman or Hendon Hooker in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th or someone like Dustin Crum as a UDFA sign me up, but reaching for a guy in the first because convention says you only get franchise guys in the first in this draft, nah not having that.

Corral and Willis are two of the most overrated prospects I've ever seen, If Hurt's numbers his last year at Oklahoma were solely a product of Lincoln Riley's offense then Corral owes his rating to Lane Kiffin.

Guarantee you draft either Corral or Willis first round and next year this board will be full of alternating polls titled 'Should we fire Howie?' and 'Should we spend another 1st on a FrAnCHisE QB?'

The hand size thing is the same level of science free nonsense that had people worrying about Devonta Smiths weight, it's one of those NFL scouting quirks where every scout says hands need to be big so teams pick big handed guys and then point to the data that only big handed guys succeed in the NFL, it's selection bias.

Put it this way Chip Kelly said QB hand size was as important as height.

To a point, Bridgewater at 9 1/4” wears gloves to grip the ball, Vick who apparently came in at 8 1/2” didn’t.   With the NFL ball being bigger than the college one (stupid) obviously if your hand is smaller than normal, it’s going to be tougher to grip it.  Hopefully late December and playoff games in the real cold don’t affect his grip. No matter how you look at it, 8 1/4” if true are really small hands. 
 OT. As much as the NFL wants to be a passing league, the College sized ball should be used if it’s easier to grip and throw, plus as stupid as it sounds, the white stripes on the college ball are easier to see for WR’s.. 

As for Wilson, he was overrated and some of the people that thought he should go above Lawrence were nuts.  He holds onto the ball way to long, he waits for receivers to get open, and he sits on one read, when that player isn’t open, so far, Wilson basically folds up.   He needed Reid or Daboll to draft and sit him for almost an entire season to make him understand that some defense gets played in the NFL and that internal clock has to be set at 3 seconds at the most, it should be closer to 2.5 really, and that takes practice, not in game situations. 

On 12/1/2021 at 10:29 PM, T-1000 said:

It's up to the Eagles to find the right guy and develop him properly despite what you and other ''scouts'' think.

Up to the Eagles to find the right guy, aka Howie?

I'd take your pick and all other's pick any day over a Howie pick.

On 12/2/2021 at 12:56 PM, T-1000 said:

but let's say they came out of the first round with Kenny Pickett, and TWO OF George Karlaftis, Demarvin Leal, Nakobe Dean or one of the top CB's after Stingley. Who the frick would be complaining about that haul.

Hurts Humpers

6 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

The wideout he has, Attison (sp?) can fly - had 90-some catches and 17tds this year. That’s likely better totals than the Bama kid.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:42 PM, downundermike said:

Hurts Humpers

Don't you have a Carson Wentz poster somewhere to pleasure yourself to

On 12/10/2021 at 1:42 PM, downundermike said:

Hurts Humpers

I'm sure the humpers will have more excuses when Hurts continues to suck and eventually be replaced

Pickett or Corral - totally fine with either one with the first of our 1st Rd picks. Given QBs get over drafted, and weak schedules for MIA and especially us, I am not sure they last that long

What I don't want to see is trading multiple 1st round picks to get one of them. Just sit back and take one of them if they fall to you.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

What I don't want to see is trading multiple 1st round picks to get one of them. Just sit back and take one of them if they fall to you.

The danger there is one falls to you that you don't particularly want... But hey I do agree we shouldn't trade up to get one. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The danger there is one falls to you that you don't particularly want... But hey I do agree we shouldn't trade up to get one. 

My view is shaped by not having a whole lot of conviction in either of them, or that one is significantly better as a prospect than the other. I mean I don't think many of us saw Jones having the best season of the rookie QBs (he is in the most favourable situation).

If they really feel super strong about one of the guys, then yeah it makes sense. But what they hell do I know, I may have loved Herbert as a prospect and got that one right but I also thought Chiefs over-payed when they traded a bunch of picks for Mahomes :roll:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

If they really feel super strong about one of the guys, then yeah it makes sense. But what they hell do I know, I may have loved Herbert as a prospect and got that one right but I also thought Chiefs over-payed when they traded a bunch of picks for Mahomes :roll:

And the truth is... The experts, the analysts and the guys who spend their lives scouting and being a part of the draft process get it wrong every single year. So what hope do we have. 

20 hours ago, Godfather said:

Pickett opted out of the bowl game

I love Pickett but that does bother me that he chose to give up on his team on the most important game of the season to prepare for the draft/combine. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 6:26 PM, DeathByEagle said:

I love Pickett but that does bother me that he chose to give up on his team on the most important game of the season to prepare for the draft/combine. 

The new normal of college football, unfortunately.  I hate the whole concept, but can accept that he stands to lose way more than he can gain by playing a bowl game.