Aidan Hutchinson (Michigan EDGE) -- DRAFTED BY DETROIT #2

Ray75

A24DA85D-BC9E-4A30-9373-EB785CAD380D.jpeg

6’6″ 265 lbs.

Aidan Hutchinson is the breakout player of the 2021 college football season. He has 4.5 sacks through his first five games and has been a genuine terror for opposing offenses. There are many experts that are projecting him as a top-10 pick for his elite pass rushing abilities. It’s been an incredible bounceback after playing in just two games in 2020 before suffering a season ending leg fracture.

Aidan‘s biggest strength is his ability to stop the run. PFF loves him as a run defender as he currently has a run defense grade of 86.2. His grade ranks seventh among defensive linemen with at least 104 snaps in a run defense role.

Although he is a massive edge rusher, he is swift, and he utilizes smooth footwork and excellent hand usage to disengage from pass blockers and tackle opposing running backs.

Hutchinson has unbelievable quickness, and his ability to move run blockers out of the way and penetrate the line of scrimmage makes him arguably the best run defender in the 2022 NFL Draft. Although he is a dominant run defender, he’s also a good pass rusher.

He is a smooth athlete for his stature, offers surprising body control, and is lean with fluidity in space despite his long frame. Impressive presence along the line of scrimmage—he was tasked with predominantly playing the "anchor" DE role in Michigan's defense (Rashan Gary's prior role) but also took snaps at 4i, 3T, and 0T over the center depending on down and distances. 

A power rusher but offers a good release off the LOS when rushing as well, offering heavy hands and success to bubble the point of attack before transitioning to shuck his blocks. 

I exaggerate a little if I say he’s the 3rd Bosa brother to come out but I’m that high on him and with an empty cup at DE in 2022, this kid should definitely be on Howie’s radar.

Draft projection; Top 3

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

If Thibodeaux is off the board and Texans take a QB, Eagles almost have to take Hutch.

With the No.3 and 7 pick and Jags probably taking Neal and WFT likely taking a QB, there is a chance either Hamilton or Stingley would fall right into our lap at No.7. Heck, I’d even jump the Jets to get Stingley.

Can you imagine Eagles landing Hutch and Stingley in top 10?!

Roll with Hurts/Minchew, the former showing improvement, and give this defense two studs please!

This team needs a stud edge rusher. A stud DE could transform this DL. I mean I think there's already talent there but a stud would really make a difference. 

Cox isn't what he was but I think could still be a good player if he's the oppositions 3rd focus. A stud DE could open things up for Hargrave too.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 2:00 AM, Ray75 said:

If Thibodeaux is off the board and Texans take a QB, Eagles almost have to take Hutch.

With the No.3 and 7 pick and Jags probably taking Neal and WFT likely taking a QB, there is a chance either Hamilton or Stingley would fall right into our lap at No.7. Heck, I’d even jump the Jets to get Stingley.

Can you imagine Eagles landing Hutch and Stingley in top 10?!

Roll with Hurts/Minchew, the former showing improvement, and give this defense two studs please!

I don't think anybody is taking a QB in the top 5 this year.  I like Hutchinson, and Stingley is one of my favorites, but that foot has to be tested like crazy before taking him. If it's not 100%, gotta pass on him, which stinks. Let's see how he tests. I'm also curious about how strong Thibodeaux is. He's quick, fast, and agile, but he may have a strength deficit, which could cause him to drop like Dillard did.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

The long lost Watt brother… even Maxx Crosby would be a get.

In the end we’ll likely not end up with a top 5 pick and Hutch will be out of reach. Bummer!

Watching his tape and idk. I wouldnt take him that high just my opinion. He looks to get moved pretty easily at times, even by a TE. And his strength is stopping the run. We need a true pass rusher.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray75 said:

In the end we’ll likely not end up with a top 5 pick and Hutch will be out of reach. Bummer!

Yeah - time to start focusing on the next tier down. Oh well, hopefully coaches and 53 man roster aren’t as far away from the goal as we thought.

23 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Yeah - time to start focusing on the next tier down. Oh well, hopefully coaches and 53 man roster aren’t as far away from the goal as we thought.

LB’s and DB’s playing pretty good football lately so I’m guessing a DT like Leal or a DE like Karlaftis make sense with the Dolphins pick unless they fall in love with Hutchinson and try to trade into the top 5 to get him.

1 minute ago, Ray75 said:

LB’s and DB’s playing pretty good football lately so I’m guessing a DT like Leal or a DE like Karlaftis make sense with the Dolphins pick unless they fall in love with Hutchinson and try to trade into the top 5 to get him.

I'm not sure I'd go as far to say pretty good. Edwards is a nice player, Taylor has flashed but LB is still a major issue. 

I'm changing my opinion on Hutchinson. Loving the way he's playing in a big game.
That's where the stars really shine.

8 hours ago, Godfather said:

After his dominating game today, he's a top 3 lock

You're very likely right there! Shame as he's a really really good player and he's not going to be in play for us. 

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You're very likely right there! Shame as he's a really really good player and he's not going to be in play for us. 

Depends where we’re picking.

Let’s assume we’ll be holding the No.8 pick. It would cost the Eagles at least a 2nd and change or their lowest first rounder and something like a 4th in return to move up into the top 3-4 to get him.

So...how would you feel if Howie gives up the Colts pick sowhere in the low twenties to move up from 8 to 3 to grab Hutch but in return receives a 4th rounder?!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

So...how would you feel if Howie gives up the Colts pick sowhere in the low twenties to move up from 8 to 3 to grab Hutch but in return receives a 4th rounder?!

Hmm... I mean on face value I don't feel great about it but hey who knows how that would all play out. 

On 11/28/2021 at 12:45 PM, Ray75 said:

Let’s assume we’ll be holding the No.8 pick. It would cost the Eagles at least a 2nd and change or their lowest first rounder and something like a 4th in return to move up into the top 3-4 to get him.

I like it. 

On 11/28/2021 at 5:45 PM, Ray75 said:

I would definitely be interested, particularly if we could use our second and change (then maybe move down with one of the other firsts.)

A stud DE would make such a big difference. As good as Graham is we’ve not had a 10 sack guy for a while. I think this guy could be.

After Michigan's win over Ohio State, most of the mocks now have him #1 overall ahead of Thibodeaux, and the connection to the Lions makes so much sense, especially when the QB options that high are slim.

Maybe it’s just the natural stereotype that sometimes happens with comparisons, I’ve tried to compare him to the Bosas. I see explosiveness, maybe not the bend and leverage those guys play with. I haven’t loved him as a top 5 guy but he’s growing on me. 

He is going top-3. We aren't getting him :thumbdown:

Time to turn our focus to his fellow pass rushing mate, Ojabo. Raw but very talented and productive this past year.