Duke basketball thread - DrPhilly’s preseason pick to win it all.

The_Omega

Since our friend Swifty didn't migrate to this new board to start this thread, I'll do it.  I didn't know anything about this year's team before last night's game against Kentucky.  After last night's game, I'm optimistic.  They've got the pieces to make a run.  Keels is a stud.  If they can gel and play some textbook Duke defense, they could absolutely be around for the 3rd weekend of the tournament.

They are a Finals Four team. Paolo is #1 pick for a reason and Keels played so much more physical than expected. 

Griffin is coming back from injury as well and they play hard. Didn't flinch when Kentucky made a run last night. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

They are a Finals Four team. Paolo is #1 pick for a reason and Keels played so much more physical than expected. 

Griffin is coming back from injury as well and they play hard. Didn't flinch when Kentucky made a run last night. 

If Williams and Johns can develop any kind of marginally reliable offensive game inside, this team could be scary good.

52 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

If Williams and Johns can develop any kind of marginally reliable offensive game inside, this team could be scary good.

Just learn to set good screens and box out. 

Need Baker to decide to make shots. 

No Duke fan here but Coach K is on Mt Rushmore and has always been a class act. I hope he has a great farewell tour. 

Go Nova!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

F them too

So a Duke v Nova Championship would make you sad?

:roll:

• Haha 2

With all of the great individual players that Duke’s had over the years, it’s kind of surprising that Wendell Moore is only the fif to have a triple double.

:facepalm:

Two Duke basketball players face charges in Orange County following a driving while impaired arrest early Sunday morning. 

According to court records, Michael Savarino, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski’s grandson, was arrested for DWI while star freshman Paolo Banchero is charged with aiding and abetting DWI.

The N.C. Highway Patrol made the arrest in Orange County at 1:10 a.m. Sunday.

• Haha 3

Gonzaga on Friday. That’s going to tell us a lot about this team. I fully expect them to get beat, but if they can make it a game, this early in the season, that bodes well for later on.  Timme is almost impossible to stop.

What a great game and Mark Williams staying around for a year just might give K a title 

And

Paolo reminds me a bit of Melo. His footwork is phenomenal 

Never a Duke fan but for this year I'm in unless they play Nova.

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

Never a Duke fan but for this year I'm in unless they play Nova.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0515602e2834cd3822242355de7c3a0.jpeg

• Like 1

Saw them while I was in college in Coach K’s 2nd season. Johnny Dawkins hit a driving layup in the last minute as Duke rallied late to take down the home W&M side 70-68. 

9 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Saw them while I was in college in Coach K’s 2nd season. Johnny Dawkins hit a driving layup in the last minute as Duke rallied late to take down the home W&M side 70-68. 

You like those short shorts???

3 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

You like those short shorts???

You asking me if I liked the old school shorter than now shorts?

5 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

You asking me if I liked the old school shorter than now shorts?

I guess so, yeah…

A53A0D28-A5E7-4FB2-827B-8C15A87A9D87.jpeg

Meh, I always liked Johnny Dawkins but no not the shorts.

How about these unis instead?  The untucked look.

Feet, Asses, and Basketball: "That 70s Show" tackles history  incorrectly...again : r/badhistory

• 5 weeks later...

Duke is expected to postpone its games this week against Clemson and Notre Dame because of COVID-19 issues within the Blue Devils' men's basketball program, sources told ESPN.

An announcement is expected soon regarding the game Wednesday vs. Clemson, but multiple sources said the Notre Dame game on Saturday also will be postponed.

The ACC modified its rescheduling policy last week as a result of the rapidly spreading omicron variant. Games that are not able to played will be rescheduled, and if a new date cannot be found, the game will be considered a no contest. ACC teams must have a minimum of seven players and one coach in order to play.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Miami being undefeated in ACC play is more luck than anything

Feel like college basketball still hasn't gotten its spotlight back since they canceled the tournament the other year. 

Or maybe it's the NFL extending their season 

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Feel like college basketball still hasn't gotten its spotlight back since they canceled the tournament the other year. 

Or maybe it's the NFL extending their season 

There's been a lot of games postponed / canceled and you wonder if that's part of it too.

• 2 weeks later...

Florida State tonight.  They're always a tough matchup.  We looked better for much of last game, still struggling to maintain focus for the entire game, but they'll get better at it the more games that they play.  Wendell Moore has been a sloppy turnover machine since the Covid break, but Roach has been a tremendous passer lately.  And I apologize in advance, because he seems like a great kid, but I feel I must

Wendell_Sumner_Article.jpg

Wanda-.jpg?fit=600,353&ssl=1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Transfer portal and players going to the NBA early has done more to hurt it.  Nothing to do with the NFL schedule.

BTW, how are all of you people Duke fans to begin with?  Dare I ask?

I have been since 

311081.jpg.jpg

• Haha 2