Sign in to follow this  
Dave Moss

Peng Shaui

8 hours ago, Boogyman said:

My man! Sketchers are really nice too btw.

I love Skechers. Man I’m finding common ground with folks all over today!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rambo said:

Thank you for explaining to him what goodwill is.  My CPA brain about exploded when I read that.  Like Oprah out there...You get goodwill!  You get goodwill!  You get goodwill!  We all get goodwill!

I’m a CPA and I hope you’re not serious. While his explanation was in the ballpark, it was far from actuality in practice and GAAP. There are many other intangible assets besides goodwill created by M&A, and for good reason.

28 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

I’m a CPA and I hope you’re not serious. While his explanation was in the ballpark, it was far from actuality in practice and GAAP. There are many other intangible assets besides goodwill created by M&A, and for good reason.

I know there's other intangibles involved in business but the poster he quoted acted like doing a good deed goes on the balance sheet as goodwill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blazehound said:

I’m not teaching a class here. I am dumbing it down for the audience. 

But good to see we found the hardo CPA who wants to impress all the ladies with his knowledge of purchase accounting. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Gannan said:

Time to start treating China like the thug regime they are. Not only the government but corporations like Nike and celeb spokesmen like Lebron should put morals over profits.

We should have been doing this 20-30 years ago.

Nixon had an idea worth a shot by opening up trade. But it's backfired spectacularly.

13 hours ago, vikas83 said:

Yeah. Let's outsource foreign policy to corporations and athletes. Makes sense.

Corporations exist to maximize profits for shareholders. They don't have the luxury of morals. If we want to punish China, put in sanctions and stop companies by law from using Chinese labor. But asking companies to forego profit is like blaming Rite-Aid for selling you Tylenol that ends up being tainted with poison. 

Put the blame where it belongs.

This.

15 hours ago, Gannan said:

Time to start treating China like the thug regime they are. Not only the government but corporations like Nike and celeb spokesmen like Lebron should put morals over profits.

Problem is they own us in just about every way. They own our farms, companies, pharmaceutical production, lobbyist, etc. They also hold a massive amount of our natural debt. If we could be self sufficient and didn't run up massive amounts of debt from the wars, entitlements, and other spending we might be able to.  It wouldn't be good. 

15 hours ago, Boogyman said:

My man! Sketchers are really nice too btw.

@Gannan noooooooooooooooo. Don't do it

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, vikas83 said:

Corporations don't because...THEY AREN'T PEOPLE. They exist to maximize shareholder return. They have a fiduciary duty to do so as a public company.

Except Bombas.  Those soy boys give away half their product.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, vikas83 said:

Goodwill is an intangible asset which is created when the purchase price of assets exceeds the accounting book value. Like when you buy a company for $20 billion, but the tangible assets are only valued on the books at $15 billion -- that creates $5 billion in Goodwill on the balance sheet. It has nothing to do with "feelings."

But please, continue educating me on how accounting and finance work. This should be entertaining.

Im pretty sure that line is used to keep track of how many bags you dropped off. 

16 hours ago, rambo said:

Thank you for explaining to him what goodwill is.  My CPA brain about exploded when I read that.  Like Oprah out there...You get goodwill!  You get goodwill!  You get goodwill!  We all get goodwill!

If you like that, you should check his opinions on, well, any movie 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, vikas83 said:

But good to see we found the hardo CPA who wants to impress all the ladies with his knowledge of purchase accounting. 

I award you one million goodwill to your balance sheet for the good deed of educating somebody.

• Haha 4

How do they distribute goodwill dividends to shareholders?   Gold stars for investing in such a super nice company?

• Haha 2

Man this thread went in a strange direction.  

I’m guessing she isn’t dead but getting some re-education. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, vikas83 said:

How much goodwill does a quality polo go for nowadays?

Funny guys, very funny.  Yeah, don't argue with Vikas, especially if you're in too big a hurry to say anything coherent.  My bad.

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2021 at 3:14 PM, rambo said:

I have a B.A. in accounting, I understand it just fine.  I was going somewhere else with the argument but landed on my face in first comment.  Such is life on the interwebz.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, paco said:

If you like that, you should check his opinions on, well, any movie 

F you and F Interstellar. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

regardless of if she turns up or never turns up, it won’t change the ways of the Chinese government in regards to human rights.  

The big reason why is because of what’s being discussed right in the thread so far as to how much china actually owns us.  

not good   

Times are changing and we don’t have the leverage we once once did to be beacon of light or a force for good that we once did.  The only card we hold now is imposing our will if need be.  

Question.   Obviously I could do my research but so any posters have a good grasp on what the average joe Chinese citizens life is like in regards of freedoms of expression and freedom of choices? I’m guessing people don’t have much choice other than where they want to live and work.

Because at the end of the day that’s where we Americans will always be winning because of the our freedoms of choice.   But we are going to have to deal with China at some point if they don’t fix themselves. 

Is she actually missing - or are we going to start tossing nukes because of social media posts and retractions.

Seems a quantum leap to conclusion to me.  

So some notes here:

-This is a state sponsored media member and they seem to be the only group that reported this event

- it does not appear that anyone asked her any questions about her whereabouts or allegations

- some are questioning if this actually just occurred or if it was a past event. Lot of responses in Chinese so I can't really tell if that's real or BS

-still does not appear as if she has had contact with anyone outside of China

- After multiple people suggested she could be under duress the same "reporter" posted this super sketchy response 

3 hours ago, sameaglesfan said:

Is she actually missing - or are we going to start tossing nukes because of social media posts and retractions.

Seems a quantum leap to conclusion to me.  

5v024n.jpg

We sure care a lot about one "famous" tennis star, but not the concentration camps that the Chinese government is forcing the Muslim Uyghurs into. 

The report outlines the mass incarceration of between 1 million and 3 million people, as well as practices including "forced sterilization, sexual violence, enslavement, torture and forcible transfer”. Multiple times, its authors express "grave concern” that "the Chinese government may be committing genocide against the Uyghurs”.

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2021/11/19/china-uyghur-genocide-holocaust-memorial-museum-report

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

We sure care a lot about one "famous" tennis star, but not the concentration camps that the Chinese government is forcing the Muslim Uyghurs into

You're not wrong, but keep in mind it's a whole lot easier for people to relate to an individual's experience than that of even millions of faceless victims. 

If it can be a catalyst for understanding in human terms what China is willing to do to preserve its system and culture of control, one person's experience can be much more powerful than the suffering of millions. 

Though I'd be lying if I thought it'd make much difference either way. Most Americans simply don't care if it's happening "over there" to other people.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 11:09 AM, SNOORDA said:

Man this thread went in a strange direction.  

I’m guessing she isn’t dead but getting some re-education. 

CCP released a couple videos.  One of which they "organically" brought up the date in casual conversation :rolleyes:    I"m surprised we didn't see here blinking SOS, like the Vietnam prisoner videos.   Oh yeah, I know why - they'd kill her whole family. 

Keep buying those Nikes and idolizing LaBron James - Sheep