Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ray75

Eagles Mock Draft (11-22-21)

Recommended Posts

It was too good to be true. We can kiss those blue chip prospects in Hutchinson, Hamilton and Stingley goodbye unless we trade up for one of them. We’ll be lucky if we even end up with one top 10 pick.

Although I’m still not convinced Hurts is the future, we can all agree he’s better at this point than any rookie QB we’d bring in. I’m guessing the Eagles roll with him and possibly revisit the position after the 2022 season.

For the sake of the argument, I think Miami will give us a pick at/around No.10, the Eagles miss the play-offs by a hair but the Colts make it and we’ll be receiving a pick in the early twenties.

Re-sign;

Brandon Graham (1 yr), Jason Kelce (1 yr), T.J. Edwards, Nate Herbig, Anthony Harris (1-2 yrs), Steven Nelson (1 yr), Sua Opeta

Analysis;

BG and Kelce are on the downside of their careers but hold incredible value to the organisation so you keep them around. Edwards brings some physicality to the group and won’t cost them, Harris and Nelson (both will be looking for longterm lucrative deals but won’t find them in FA) are bridge players to help the rookies come along, Opeta ad Herbig are cheap depth players.

FA;

JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, Pittsburgh;

Jordan Whitehead, S, Tampa Bay;

Jermaine Carter Jr., LB, Carolina;

Analysis;

JuJu IMO is the perfect running mate for Smith (your No.1) and Watkins (your deep threat). Reagor is simply a bust and JuJu clearly an upgrade in the slot. Whitehead is your young just okay Rodney McCleod (sorry Rod but you turn 33) replacement and Carter your veteran LB presence. Still don’t think they’ll address the LB position properly with Edwards and Taylor playing better together as of late.

Draft;

1) DeMarvin Leal, DT/DE, Texas A&M;

Was really tempted to take George Karlaftis here but doesn’t Leal scream Eagles selection to you?! Isn’t he the type of prospect Howie will have the hots for?

Leal can play everywhere on the DL and succeed. 

1) Tyler Linderbaum, OC, Iowa;

Kelce’s heir, keep Dickerson at LG, let Seumalo, Herbig etc battle it out for the RG spot.

Just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to add an elite center to the mix if he even lasts this long.

1) Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati;

Not a No.1 corner but a solid No.2 guy who’ll eventually take over Nelson’s spot.

2) Jalen Catalon, S, Arkansas;

Very aggressive, physical safety who you bring in with ease. 

3)  Romeo Doubs, WR, Nevada;

Allround receiver who will get his snaps here and there to get his feet wet.

4) Ellis Brooks, LB, Penn State;

Small but fairly athletic LB who’ll start at ST.

5) Carter Warren, OT, Pittsburgh;

A depth RT.

5) Ali Gaye, DE, LSU;

Like Terron Jackson a depth piece to groom.

5) Matthew Butler, DT, Tennessee;

More depth at IDL.

6) Charlie Kolar, TE, Iowa State;

A backup TE.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally a mock I can get behind. Now I personally don't like Karlaftis, but DE is our biggest need and I can see the Eagles draft him for sure. If it was between him and Leal for me that has to be Leal all day though, especially since he can play outside with the best of them anyways. Huge fan of Linderbaum, having Kelce play in front of him a last year is a smart thing to do, too.

Gardner is a bit light for my taste, but hey he might be a really good pick in the late first. Always been a big fan of JuJu too.

All in all your best mock so far in my opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Infam said:

Finally a mock I can get behind. Now I personally don't like Karlaftis, but DE is our biggest need and I can see the Eagles draft him for sure. If it was between him and Leal for me that has to be Leal all day though, especially since he can play outside with the best of them anyways. Huge fan of Linderbaum, having Kelce play in front of him a last year is a smart thing to do, too.

Gardner is a bit light for my taste, but hey he might be a really good pick in the late first. Always been a big fan of JuJu too.

All in all your best mock so far in my opinion.

Thanks!

Tried to keep it grounded. Agreed on Leal. Huge fan but how are we gonna use him? He’s not a pure 4-3 DE and eventually you’re gonna kick him inside. As long as it’s crowded there, you might be better off taking a true 4-3 edge.

Linderbaum is one of my draft crushes. Imagine him at center and Dickerson and Mailata on the left side. As long as LJ can keep it up, you’re only worry would be at RG and backup RT.

I too am high on JuJu. He’d fit right in here as your go to slot receiver. Smith can’t do it all on his own, he needs a reliable running mate.

Again thx!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of new names here - thanks. 

I know the Eagles traditionally draft offensive linemen, but unless we trade Dillard, he Driscoll, and La'Raven Clarke give us more than sufficient depth at tackle. Driscoll, Herbig, and Opeta do the same at guard backing up Dickerson and Brooks. I completely agree with drafting at center, but actually think Howie will go another direction. 

Overthecap gives the Eagles $22 in cap room for next year. Subtract the $'s for Maddox and Edwards which are not included yet, plus the $'s for your other re-signings and I wonder if there's enough left for 3 pretty good free agents. I'd love to have them, but have reservations regarding whether we'll be able to swing it. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

Lots of new names here - thanks. 

I know the Eagles traditionally draft offensive linemen, but unless we trade Dillard, he Driscoll, and La'Raven Clarke give us more than sufficient depth at tackle. Driscoll, Herbig, and Opeta do the same at guard backing up Dickerson and Brooks. I completely agree with drafting at center, but actually think Howie will go another direction. 

Overthecap gives the Eagles $22 in cap room for next year. Subtract the $'s for Maddox and Edwards which are not included yet, plus the $'s for your other re-signings and I wonder if there's enough left for 3 pretty good free agents. I'd love to have them, but have reservations regarding whether we'll be able to swing it. 

 

Thanks!

I literally don’t worry about cap space. You can say about Howie what you want but he always finds a way to create room even if it means kicking the can down the  road. Those FA’s will not be the most expensive IMO.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Love it! As long as we can afford Juju.

Thx!

Returned to Pittsburgh on a one year deal but got injured. Might not come as expensive as we both think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Thx!

Returned to Pittsburgh on a one year deal but got injured. Might not come as expensive as we both think.

Very true. Think Howie could work something out. He's seems to have a spell on the cap.

Really digging Gardner and Catalon early on. Think they revamp the secondary in a short time.

Also a big fan of Gaye and Kolar in the latter rounds. Both could be solid contributors. Kolar could easily climb the ladder to TE2. Really like his film.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Infam change of heart.

Swapped Karlaftis for Leal. This kid screams Eagles selection to me. Deferred from my gut feeling and took the Greek instead. For a few months now, I have that feeling the Eagles are going to fall in love with Leal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it and I think it's a pretty realistic mock. But... Gardner in the first to be a long term #2 to take over from Nelson. I don't know how I feel about that. Sure he may develop in to a #1 but hmm... If they don't find a long term guy to take over from Slay then we are in real trouble. They aren't going to spend 2 first round picks on a CB in the next couple of years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like it and I think it's a pretty realistic mock. But... Gardner in the first to be a long term #2 to take over from Nelson. I don't know how I feel about that. Sure he may develop in to a #1 but hmm... If they don't find a long term guy to take over from Slay then we are in real trouble. They aren't going to spend 2 first round picks on a CB in the next couple of years. 

We talked about this before. How many No.1 albeit elite corners are there in the NFL nowadays?! Two, three...five?!

The rest are all No.2’s and that’s good enough for me. The majority of the teams don’t have a true No.1 corner and the elite shutdown corner has albeit disappearred. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very realistic mock. 

I like the Leal pick and even if he projects to only be a DT in our 4-3, I think the Eagles look to trade Fletcher Cox in the offseason, opening up a starting spot on the interior DL. As good as Linderbaum is, I just don't see the Eagles drafting a C in the first, after using their 2nd round pick on Dickerson in this past draft.

This is probably nit-picky, but if the Eagles go OL in the first I think they actually go for a OG/OT type prospect in the 1st round. If they had a top 5 pick, I'd even argue that Evan Neal from Alabama is a legit candidate, although he's more of a pure T despite starting out at guard at Alabama. Lane Johnson is entering his 30s and the team will need an RT of the future at some point. Johnson is also an offseason trade candidate, although less likely than Cox, since he hasn't had significant regression in his play and could be a key piece on this team the next few years.

Gardner is a solid choice at CB in the 1st round. This FO needs to start using premium picks on the secondary. 2002 is way too long ago to still wait for this FO to use another 1st rounder on a CB. 1979 for a LB is even worse (some argue Marcus Smith is a LB and would say 2014), but in any case I'm not holding my breath that this FO will take a LB in the 1st round. 2nd-3rd is the earliest I can see such a pick made.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Very realistic mock. 

I like the Leal pick and even if he projects to only be a DT in our 4-3, I think the Eagles look to trade Fletcher Cox in the offseason, opening up a starting spot on the interior DL. As good as Linderbaum is, I just don't see the Eagles drafting a C in the first, after using their 2nd round pick on Dickerson in this past draft.

This is probably nit-picky, but if the Eagles go OL in the first I think they actually go for a OG/OT type prospect in the 1st round. If they had a top 5 pick, I'd even argue that Evan Neal from Alabama is a legit candidate, although he's more of a pure T despite starting out at guard at Alabama. Lane Johnson is entering his 30s and the team will need an RT of the future at some point. Johnson is also an offseason trade candidate, although less likely than Cox, since he hasn't had significant regression in his play and could be a key piece on this team the next few years.

Gardner is a solid choice at CB in the 1st round. This FO needs to start using premium picks on the secondary. 2002 is way too long ago to still wait for this FO to use another 1st rounder on a CB. 1979 for a LB is even worse (some argue Marcus Smith is a LB and would say 2014), but in any case I'm not holding my breath that this FO will take a LB in the 1st round. 2nd-3rd is the earliest I can see such a pick made.

Thanks!

Agree with all your points. I’d even go as far to say Eagles will double dip on DL prospects in the first two rounds if they do trade Cox this offseason. Say Leal with the Dolphins pick and someone like Obajo or Enagbare with one of those two other first or use a second on someone like Jermaine Johnson. FYI not a Drake Jackson fan, 3-4 guy IMO and believe Karlaftis will go top 12.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2021 at 7:33 AM, Ray75 said:

Thanks!

Agree with all your points. I’d even go as far to say Eagles will double dip on DL prospects in the first two rounds if they do trade Cox this offseason. Say Leal with the Dolphins pick and someone like Obajo or Enagbare with one of those two other first or use a second on someone like Jermaine Johnson. FYI not a Drake Jackson fan, 3-4 guy IMO and believe Karlaftis will go top 12.

I have no problem with a double DL dip.

I don't like Karlaftis, I think he is very much a Derek Barnett clone. Would you pick Derek Barnett with a first in this draft? Didn't think so.

At the beginning Gannon told us he wanted a LB/DE hybrid for his system, and he tried to establish that with Avery. Didn't work out, but if you listen closely what Gannon wishes for Drake Jackson fits the way Gannon described his ideal for this position perfectly. So while not a fan of first round linebackers nor tweener type of guys, it's what he wants. And thus I think he might work out in our new defensive scheme..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Godfather said:

I love the draft and I like the FA signings

Thanks!

The thing is that it’s become abundantly clear Sirianni can’t run the offense he envisioned for the Eagles with Hurts under center. IMO he needs a more accurate QB with a quick release, one who sees the entire field and makes quick decisions. Hurts simply ain’t that and he tailored the offense to his skill set by running the ball a ton. Sort of what the Ravens have done for Lamar.

With 3 first rounders and possibly no QB taken in the top 5, it wouldn’t surprise me if Howie pulls the trigger. The question is on who? Although I like a more traditional QB like Pickett, Corral fits the description perfectly. Quick release, quick decision making, sees the field properly and is fairly athletic. He basically comes with the skill set you want Jalen to master.

So if Hurts doesn’t show you enough progression in the upcoming weeks, I believe his fate is sealed and Howie will draft a QB with one of those first rounders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ray75 said:

So if Hurts doesn’t show you enough progression in the upcoming weeks, I believe his fate is sealed and Howie will draft a QB with one of those first rounders.

Are you going to change your opinion on this every week now? 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Infam said:

Are you going to change your opinion on this every week now? 😄

Nope!

I’ve always had a wait and see approach towards Hurts. I like him from an intangibles perspective but I still question if he’s able to win you games with his arm if you don’t tailor the offense to his skill set by running it that much.

I also don’t believe this is the offense Sirianni envisioned for the Eagles.

In the back of my head I’ve taken into account Hurts is not the guy and the Eagles might take a QB fairly high or trade for a Wilson or Watson.

I’m not gonna side one way or another after sunday’s game but I do think Jalen is not the ideal QB to run a Sirianni offense.

If Sirianni and the Eagles fall in love with one of the QB’s in this mediocre class, they probably pull the trigger if Hurts doesn’t show them enough in the upcoming weeks. 

Ideally he shows them that he has it in him to be the guy so we can build around him but it wouldn’t surprise me if they go in another direction if he doesn’t.

To get back to your point; if Hurts doesn’t prove he deserves another year, I believe they’ll take a QB in the first and maybe even a receiver and it could again become an offensive heavy first round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2021 at 12:51 AM, Ray75 said:

Thanks!

The thing is that it’s become abundantly clear Sirianni can’t run the offense he envisioned for the Eagles with Hurts under center. IMO he needs a more accurate QB with a quick release, one who sees the entire field and makes quick decisions. Hurts simply ain’t that and he tailored the offense to his skill set by running the ball a ton. Sort of what the Ravens have done for Lamar.

With 3 first rounders and possibly no QB taken in the top 5, it wouldn’t surprise me if Howie pulls the trigger. The question is on who? Although I like a more traditional QB like Pickett, Corral fits the description perfectly. Quick release, quick decision making, sees the field properly and is fairly athletic. He basically comes with the skill set you want Jalen to master.

So if Hurts doesn’t show you enough progression in the upcoming weeks, I believe his fate is sealed and Howie will draft a QB with one of those first rounders.

Where did Pickett fall on your mock? I would've probably have taken him with the 3rd 1st rd pick pending 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Godfather said:

Where did Pickett fall on your mock? I would've probably have taken him with the 3rd 1st rd pick pending 

Did this mock under the assumption Jalen might just be the guy.

If the Eagles do want to take a QB high, they have to hope Lions, Texans and Giants pass on one and no team trading up for a QB.

In that scenario both Corral and Pickett will be on the board. I like Pickett more but believe Corral is a better scheme fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...