Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

32 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Fair point.  But he also sent Kylo and the KOR to go hunt down and kill Rey.  He didn't ask them to bring Rey before him.  What if they succeeded in killing Rey?  Plus all that time Palpatine was supposedly the one in Kylo Ren's head.  Why wasn't he using the Force to get to Rey as well?  

The answers to all these questions are because they made up Palpatine and Rey being his granddaughter after The Last Jedi instead of planning out a trilogy.

Star Wars has always been made up as it goes and that's not necessarily bad.  It just happened to be bad this time.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Fair point.  But he also sent Kylo and the KOR to go hunt down and kill Rey.  He didn't ask them to bring Rey before him.  What if they succeeded in killing Rey?  Plus all that time Palpatine was supposedly the one in Kylo Ren's head.  Why wasn't he using the Force to get to Rey as well?  

The answers to all these questions are because they made up Palpatine and Rey being his granddaughter after The Last Jedi instead of planning out a trilogy.

I viewed it as Palpatine knowing that Kylo wouldn't kill Rey, just like Vader didn't kill Luke. He anticipated Kylo trying to turn on him and bring Rey over to the dark side; they come to him together, and then he tries to turn Rey and get her to kill Kylo (throne room scene where he tries to get Luke to finish off Vader). Recycling the plot point again. I could be giving JJ too much credit here.

I agree JJ had to completely retcon the story after TLJ. Given the steaming pile of dog ish he was handed, I was pleasantly surprised that he made an entertaining movie. It's no ESB, but it's miles better than TLJ or the prequels. 

• Like 1

so how do people rate the nine core movies now that ROS has made its rounds.

1- ESB

2- ANH

3- ROTJ

4- ROTS

5- ROS

6-AOTC

7- TFW

8-TPM

9-TLJ

1 ESB

2 ANH

3 ROTJ 

4 TFA 

5 ROTS

6 TROS

7 TPM

8 TLJ 

9 AOTC

• Like 1

1. Empire

2. Star Wars

3. Jedi

4. Force Awakens

5. Rise of Skywalker

6. Revenue of the Sith

7. Last Jedi

8. Phantom Menace

9. Clones

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vikas83 said:

6. Revenue of the Sith

Leave it to the finance guy to see revenue. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Holy Hells the last 5 episode's of Clone Wars were the shite!  First two plot lines I was like "oh boy, here comes Disney screwing shite up again". Platoon 99 was Childish and lame, so were the Corruscant sisters.  But then came the final Asokha arc and it was magnificent.  Action, music, animation, dialogue, everything just spot on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

Holy Hells the last 5 episode's of Clone Wars were the shite!  First two plot lines I was like "oh boy, here comes Disney screwing shite up again". Platoon 99 was Childish and lame, so were the Corruscant sisters.  But then came the final Asokha arc and it was magnificent.  Action, music, animation, dialogue, everything just spot on!

now go watch revenge of the sith. you'll think of ahsoka towards the end.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

now go watch revenge of the sith. you'll think of ahsoka towards the end.

I was already thinking of RoTS which I have always thought is a top tier Star Wars movie.  Anybody still hating on RotS sees this and it would be hard to keep hating.

29 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

I was already thinking of RoTS which I have always thought is a top tier Star Wars movie.  Anybody still hating on RotS sees this and it would be hard to keep hating.

So a movie that might be considered bad, people should watch a cartoon made 15 years later and that will make that bad movie turn into a good movie?

FWIW I liked ROTS, clearly the best of the prequel trilogy.  I'm just talking the logic here.  A standalone movie is what it is, a cartoon made later may supplement some material, answer questions, fill in gaps, etc. but that movie is what it is.

btw - im wondering about the mandalorian. seeing how he is about wearing his helmet, I guess not all of them feel the same way considering bo-katan had no issue taking hers off.

19 minutes ago, NOTW said:

So a movie that might be considered bad, people should watch a cartoon made 15 years later and that will make that bad movie turn into a good movie?

FWIW I liked ROTS, clearly the best of the prequel trilogy.  I'm just talking the logic here.  A standalone movie is what it is, a cartoon made later may supplement some material, answer questions, fill in gaps, etc. but that movie is what it is.

Um...yes?  Isn't that the whole point to following these universes with their cannon and their interconnecting dots?  Isn't that the whole reason they are more engaging than a true stand alone movie?  Didn't Rogue One make the opening of A New Hope better?  Within the MCU aren't there movies that are significantly enhanced because of the way they fit in the jigsaw puzzle?

You seem to be going against pretty much everything you have ever written in this forum.

36 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Um...yes?  Isn't that the whole point to following these universes with their cannon and their interconnecting dots?  Isn't that the whole reason they are more engaging than a true stand alone movie?  Didn't Rogue One make the opening of A New Hope better?  Within the MCU aren't there movies that are significantly enhanced because of the way they fit in the jigsaw puzzle?

You seem to be going against pretty much everything you have ever written in this forum.

The last statement, just what? ha.

There's a difference between movies in a series not having a complete story because they are chapters.  I haven't seen the latest Clone Wars season yet so I don't know what your'e specifically referencing.  But you said people who hate on ROTS would not hate on it after seeing a cartoon made 15 years later.  I'm saying that this supplemental material while it may fill in some gaps in the story, wouldn't change the elements in ROTS:  writing, directing, acting, pacing, editing, etc.  I don't buy that someone who hated ROTS would change their tune and go back and love it because of TCW cartoon.  Things can fill in gaps of detail but that doesn't make a previous movie good or bad on its own merit.

Rogue One didn't make A New Hope better.  It just showed the events leading up to it.  Rogue One was a good standalone movie on its own merit because while part of the larger story made by other writers and directors, the movie itself was good.  (People also say it fixed a plot hole in that how could the Death Star be so easy to destroy.)

Everyone pretty much agrees The Empire Strikes Back is the best SW movie.  It is not a complete story, it's the middle of a trilogy and ends on cliffhangers.  It also has Leia and Luke kiss, then later in ROTJ they created the fact they were brother and sister.  But Empire on its own is the best movie.  The prequels told us more about Boba Fett.  Does that change Empire?  No, Empire is what is always was.  If they made a cartoon series next that took place around that time, it wouldn't change Empire either.  It would still be the best SW movie on its own.

In the MCU, yeah they were world building but you can still say which movies you think are good or bad.  Thor 1 is ok, Thor 2 is the worst in the MCU and Thor 3 is the best Thor movie.  If they made a Thor cartoon it wouldn't change what those movies are.

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Thor 2 is the worst in the MCU

iron man 3 says hold my beer, ****.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

iron man 3 says hold my beer, ****.

I have it as 2nd worst.  Thor 2 is completely unwatchable and boring.  IM3 at least has some scenes worth watching.

RotS was one of my favorites. The story was written before they made the first Star Wars (at least the outline). Episodes 1 and 2 were filler to get there. 

• Like 1

The prequels created such a fantastic world with a cohesive storyline building to a set endpoint. In retrospect (especially after all the new content that has come out) it's really such a shame how much they failed in the execution at the time.  

• Like 1

it's 1999 and my older son is 5yrs old. he's as excited as I was when ESB & ROTJ came out. we got tickets for the first day, watched it and I cant lie, I didn't hate it at first, probably because of the reaction my son had to it and seeing an instant lifelong fan seeing his first new star wars movie. after seeing it a 2nd time and so on, I started disliking it more & more. I do like it more now than I did then, but just missed the mark. jar jar binks was just too over the top stupid. I had hoped lucas learned from the ewoks, but obviously he didn't.

so in hindsight, I both dislike and love that movie. I dislike it for the quality, but love it for having that moment with my son. lucky for me I got to relive that moment with my younger son when TFA came out when he was 8.

58 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

it's 1999 and my older son is 5yrs old. he's as excited as I was when ESB & ROTJ came out. we got tickets for the first day, watched it and I cant lie, I didn't hate at first, probably because of the reaction my son had to it and seeing an instant lifelong fan seeing his first new star wars movie. after seeing it a 2nd time and so on, I started disliking it more & more. I do like it more now than I did then, but just missed the mark. jar jar binks was just too over the top stupid. I had hoped lucas learned from the ewoks, but obviously he didn't.

so in hindsight, I both dislike and love that movie. I dislike it for the quality, but love it for having that moment with my son. lucky for me I got to relive that moment with my younger son when TFA came out when he was 8.

I remember reading that he made episode 1 specifically for children not for guys like us. The idea was to introduce a new generation of kids to star wars. When I look at it through that lens, it's a far better film than I originally gave it credit for. My little ones love that movie. 

1 minute ago, Gannan said:

I remember reading that he made episode 1 specifically for children not for guys like us. The idea was to introduce a new generation of kids to star wars. When I look at it through that lens, it's a far better film than I originally gave it credit for. My little ones love that movie. 

its pretty much like when ironman came out (much better movie obviously) ...my son was entering a world I had enjoyed since I was a kid myself.

The Phantom Menace isn't as bad as people make it out to be.  I liked the 2 main Jedi, McGregor as Obi-Wan was great casting, Maul was a good Sith villain, showing Palpatine rising up in the Republic and the location shots in Italy for Naboo looked great.

Jar Jar, lil Ani were bad, and the pod race was ok but it was a long sequence that felt like it was to sell toys and video games.  It also got bogged down in political talk early.  You're excited to see a new SW movie after almost 20 years.  You know it's going to be about Anakin turning into Darth Vader.  And it opens with...a boring trade dispute.  I liked the bit of mystery with the 2 Jedi though and seeing them in action.  And of course one of the biggest issues was the overuse of computer graphics instead of real sets and practical effects.  It was even worse in ep 2.  Ep 3 got more grounded in that regard.

In case all you ****ots! are wondering if you should show your bf’s Star Wars or not