Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

11 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I'm in the minority that wasn't impressed with Mandalorian

I liked the story they set up and the various storylines they tied together with Moff, the darksaber, the fall of Mandalor, the Yoda species, the empire's fall and the new republic's rise etc.  The cinematography and cohesiveness with the original Star Wars aesthetic were both top-notch too IMO. 

But it suffered from the "new director every episode" issue a bit, and there was almost always at-least 1 character in each episode whose acting was so bad it took me out of it.  Maybe part of it was the writing too.  Silver lining is at least those things are more fixable than sheety storylines and bad main characters.  But yeah, it's more flawed than people pretend.

The Mandalorian is good for TV. It's not going to win Emmy's or anything but it's entertaining, captures the essence of the original SW trilogy and scratches the SW itch.

I agree about some of the acting. Pretty much every SW movie except Empire and RO have some hokey dialogue and forced bad acting. Sometimes I wonder if the new writers are purposely mimicking that, thinking it's part of the SW charm.

• Like 1

I never got the knit picking from fans sometimes who expect star wars to be on some Shakespeare tier dialogue wise or oscar level acting. I admit I am guilty of this at times too, so I'm deservingly pointing the finger at myself as well.  

like NOTW said, most of the movies had quirky material, and the acting has been meh at times. it is what is. now don't get me wrong, there are instances where the dialogue was painful to listen to, like the romance between anikan and padme, or any line hayden christansen ever uttered in the 2nd trilogy.  plus ewoks.

I let that stuff go with madalorian and it allowed me to overlook those things and really enjoy the 1st season. I think if they clean it up a bit, the show can really be something in the overall saga. I think how they handle the ahsoka tano character will go a long way with that.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

I never got the knit picking from fans sometimes who expect star wars to be on some Shakespeare tier dialogue wise or oscar level acting. I admit I am guilty of this at times too, so I'm deservingly pointing the finger at myself as well.  

like NOTW said, most of the movies had quirky material, and the acting has been meh at times. it is what is. now don't get me wrong, there are instances where the dialogue was painful to listen to, like the romance between anikan and padme, or any line hayden christansen ever uttered in the 2nd trilogy.  plus ewoks.

I let that stuff go with madalorian and it allowed me to overlook those things and really enjoy the 1st season. I think if they clean it up a bit, the show can really be something in the overall saga. I think how they handle the ahsoka tano character will go a long way with that.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the series and recognize it's a tough line to walk. You gotta make the dialogue cheesey/campy without going full Hayden Christensen.  You gotta make some quirky fun characters without going full Jar Jar. The costume aesthetic has to look both futuristic campy and cheap.

I just think they strayed a bit too far with the acting in the Mandalorian. Giancarlo Esposito and Werner Herzog delivered some pretty cheesy Starwarsy lines but it felt right cause they're good actors. Carl Weather's and Gina Carano on the other hand...

• Like 1

weathers and carano are perfect examples, I expected bad acting from them so I wasn't disappointed when it proved to be reality.

16 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

weathers and carano are perfect examples, I expected bad acting from them so I wasn't disappointed when it proved to be reality.

That's fair.  I just wish the truly bad actors didn't have as much screen time. 

18 hours ago, NOTW said:

2nd viewing of The Rise of Skywalker - still meh.  

I thought RoS looked so freaking fantastic you couldn't help but enjoy it as a popcorn flick.  But I wouldn't watch it again, no thank you.  TLJ actually gets better on 2nd watching.

My complaint with the SW movies, voiced many times on here, is that the ****ots! making these films have a BLANK CHECK to create whatever they want, and a guaranteed $1.5B revenue stream coming in JUST FROM TICKET SALES. When you factor in merchandise and DVD/Blu-Ray/4K sales, each Episodic film is likely $4B in PROFIT (if not more). That should require them to actually craft legit dialog/writing and not have Rose's sister doing miraculous 180 as a crucial plot device drops past her and Leia Mary Poppinsing through outer space... like it's a slap in the face to the people making them dumb rich. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

My complaint with the SW movies, voiced many times on here, is that the ****ots! making these films have a BLANK CHECK to create whatever they want, and a guaranteed $1.5B revenue stream coming in JUST FROM TICKET SALES. When you factor in merchandise and DVD/Blu-Ray/4K sales, each Episodic film is likely $4B in PROFIT (if not more). That should require them to actually craft legit dialog/writing and not have Rose's sister doing miraculous 180 as a crucial plot device drops past her and Leia Mary Poppinsing through outer space... like it's a slap in the face to the people making them dumb rich. 

Yup.  I refuse to self flagellate and say it's my fault for not watching these movies with the same starry eyed wonder of a 10 yr old.  F that.  Disney has been every bit as bad as we feared they would be when they bought the franchise.  With every film and show the mouse ears become more visible.  The same Disney-esque heroes and heroines and villains and deathly fear of doing anything with any guts ( and NO, pG-13 Rogue One isn't that gutsy). 

That's part of why TLJ is easily the best they have done. The dude blew up their carefully laden plans of mass produced mediocrity and delivered a philosophical, nuanced view of a universe that frankly barely deserved it.

But it's definitely not because we are too jaded now.  MCU proved that.

33 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Yup.  I refuse to self flagellate and say it's my fault for not watching these movies with the same starry eyed wonder of a 10 yr old.  F that.  Disney has been every bit as bad as we feared they would be when they bought the franchise.  With every film and show the mouse ears become more visible.  The same Disney-esque heroes and heroines and villains and deathly fear of doing anything with any guts ( and NO, pG-13 Rogue One isn't that gutsy). 

That's part of why TLJ is easily the best they have done. The dude blew up their carefully laden plans of mass produced mediocrity and delivered a philosophical, nuanced view of a universe that frankly barely deserved it.

But it's definitely not because we are too jaded now.  MCU proved that.

I actually really dig on the whole what they've done outside of the main movies.  I'm probably in the minority on Solo but Mandalorian and Rogue One were both great additions IMO (not flawless but still really good).  But I agree completely on the "core" movies.  I got faith in Taika Waititi though 🤞

• Like 1

The Force Awakens was the attempt to win back fans who didn't like the prequels.  They went way overkill with the recycled plots, however also had a unique plot not seen in the live action movies in a Stormtrooper who defected.  Like the prequels, there were pieces but they weren't developed well enough.

You have opportunity to show Finn as a kidnapped child forced into the army and has PTSD after making a moral choice to defect...and he's instantly running around being cocky and cracking jokes, being sarcastic and cocky with legend General Solo.  He should have been timid the entire time, he was the "damsel in distress" if you will.  And his growth should have been in joining the fight and using his training and skills for good but over time, and getting over his past.  That could have been a theme for everyone, let go of the past.  Rey's an orphan, Ben's a former Jedi in training with a family legacy of heroes trying to go bad.  Poe is a former spice runner turned hero pilot (heard that one before).  Rose is in the shadow of her sister's brave sacrifice trying to find her place in the resistance.  Luke has a legendary past but feels like a failure in the present.  Leia could rebuild the Republic but couldn't keep her son from the dark side. 

There was rich material there to work with.  But they barely scratched the surface.  

Now I agree that TLJ took bold direction with regard to Luke, the legacy of the Jedi and the relationship with Rey and Ben.  However, everything else was terrible.  The Canto Bight seen was as bad as anything in the prequels.  The slow space chase was dumb, the feminist leader who won't let the "flyboy" know her plans just to teach the patriarchy a lesson was stupid.  Rose stopping Finn from saving everyone was stupid.  So much was done poorly that it takes away from this idea that a genius creative director taking bold choices made this daring film...a few aspects were and the rest were lazy.

Then TROS retcons TLJ so it shows the team wasn't on the same page.  Abrams admitted they didn't have all the details planned out, that they were allowing each director to do something different and he had to re-write ep 9 to "course correct" after TLJ.  Part of it is seeing the amount of fans who didn't like it.  Disney clearly charged Abrams with doing what he did in TFA:  win back the fans with nostalgia and undo the main things people didn't like about TLJ.

Rogue One and The Mandalorian are the closest in look and feel of Star Wars.  I wonder if those had come out first how the new trilogy might have been different.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 12:08 PM, Mike030270 said:

Holy crap 7 seasons for Clone Wars? This'll be fun lol

Were the others made to be watched after Clone Wars?

They are different stories with whole different crews, but a good amount of crossover from what I heard. (2 episodes in) 

On 5/11/2020 at 1:16 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

I watched revenge of the sith over the weekend and all I could think of during the scene with windu, papletine and anikan, and then after order 66 was commanded, was what ahsoka was doing during that time.

Well.

out of the nine core films, I think we had two great movies (empire and new hope), two good movies (ROTJ & ROTS), and five other ones that are ok to meh.

Checked a digital copy of Thrawn out from the library. I’m enjoying it so far

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Now I agree that TLJ took bold direction with regard to Luke, the legacy of the Jedi and the relationship with Rey and Ben.  However, everything else was terrible.  The Canto Bight seen was as bad as anything in the prequels.  The slow space chase was dumb, the feminist leader who won't let the "flyboy" know her plans just to teach the patriarchy a lesson was stupid.  

This. A thousand times this. I give RoS a pass because JJ Abrams had so much damage to repair from TLJ, and I think he did an admirable job. 

TLJ made Rey a Mary Sue. JJ had to come up with some reason why she was so powerful she barely required any guidance or training from a master.

TLJ killed off Snoke with little fanfare. JJ had no time to develop a new villain so he had to bring back an established one. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

I like this, both the character and the casting.

39 minutes ago, OCEaglefan said:

Checked a digital copy of Thrawn out from the library. I’m enjoying it so far

If you haven't already, check out the Darth Plageus novel by the same author. It's the best SW book I've ever read. 

1 minute ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

I like this, both the character and the casting.

She was the voice on the show too

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

She was the voice on the show too

that I did not know.

1 hour ago, iladelphxx said:

I am physically incapable of  discussing the character "Cara Dune" without accidentally calling her "Kara Thrace" first. This won't help.

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

This. A thousand times this. I give RoS a pass because JJ Abrams had so much damage to repair from TLJ, and I think he did an admirable job. 

TLJ made Rey a Mary Sue. JJ had to come up with some reason why she was so powerful she barely required any guidance or training from a master.

TLJ killed off Snoke with little fanfare. JJ had no time to develop a new villain so he had to bring back an established one. 

Funny thing is, I liked those choices.  I always thought Rey should be "a nobody" because who were the parents of other Jedi?  Yoda?  Mace Windu?  Others.  Jedi do not have to be related to another Jedi.  I thought it was better for her to be an orphan longing to find her family and learn to look toward her future instead, which is what Max Kanata said to her in the beginning.  You could consider it the Force working through her out of necessity of there being no other Jedi, but that goes back to having it handled better in TFA.  She shouldn't have been so powerful right away.  Kylo Ren would have destroyed her in a fight.  All they needed was for her to discover she has powers (as she did) but not be so powerful to take on a trained dark force user.  Just dabble and then next movie get training.

The Snoke killing was abrupt, I agree on that.  I just didn't need "backstory" on him.  We knew nothing about Palpatine in the OG trilogy either, he was just the bad guy.  Johnson was trying to shake things up by killing off an assumed major character, which I don't mind but it happened in a silly way.  How did he not sense that coming?

They should have just focused on Kylo Ren in TROS.  Adam Driver is one of the better actors in the franchise but in this he was reduced to doing Palpatine's bidding.  He overtook Snoke in the last movie then was back to answering to another old dude.  Plus Palpatine kept changing his mind.  Kylo Ren will rule the new Empi--ok, no Rey will be the new Empress of the-- ok never mind, I will suck the life out of both of them and rule myself!

17 hours ago, NOTW said:

Funny thing is, I liked those choices.  I always thought Rey should be "a nobody" because who were the parents of other Jedi?  Yoda?  Mace Windu?  Others.  Jedi do not have to be related to another Jedi.  I thought it was better for her to be an orphan longing to find her family and learn to look toward her future instead, which is what Max Kanata said to her in the beginning.  You could consider it the Force working through her out of necessity of there being no other Jedi, but that goes back to having it handled better in TFA.  She shouldn't have been so powerful right away.  Kylo Ren would have destroyed her in a fight.  All they needed was for her to discover she has powers (as she did) but not be so powerful to take on a trained dark force user.  Just dabble and then next movie get training.

The Snoke killing was abrupt, I agree on that.  I just didn't need "backstory" on him.  We knew nothing about Palpatine in the OG trilogy either, he was just the bad guy.  Johnson was trying to shake things up by killing off an assumed major character, which I don't mind but it happened in a silly way.  How did he not sense that coming?

They should have just focused on Kylo Ren in TROS.  Adam Driver is one of the better actors in the franchise but in this he was reduced to doing Palpatine's bidding.  He overtook Snoke in the last movie then was back to answering to another old dude.  Plus Palpatine kept changing his mind.  Kylo Ren will rule the new Empi--ok, no Rey will be the new Empress of the-- ok never mind, I will suck the life out of both of them and rule myself!

As for the bolded, I had a different take. I viewed it as Palpatine telling Kylo what he wanted to hear in order to get him to focus on finding Rey. He knew Kylo wouldn't kill her, but it was a way to get Rey to him on Exegal. The goal was always to have his granddaughter take over. I viewed it as him being the master manipulator -- like leaking the Death Star plans to the rebellion in ROTJ.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

As for the bolded, I had a different take. I viewed it as Palpatine telling Kylo what he wanted to hear in order to get him to focus on finding Rey. He knew Kylo wouldn't kill her, but it was a way to get Rey to him on Exegal. The goal was always to have his granddaughter take over. I viewed it as him being the master manipulator -- like leaking the Death Star plans to the rebellion in ROTJ.

Fair point.  But he also sent Kylo and the KOR to go hunt down and kill Rey.  He didn't ask them to bring Rey before him.  What if they succeeded in killing Rey?  Plus all that time Palpatine was supposedly the one in Kylo Ren's head.  Why wasn't he using the Force to get to Rey as well?  

The answers to all these questions are because they made up Palpatine and Rey being his granddaughter after The Last Jedi instead of planning out a trilogy.