Star Wars ongoing thread: The Acolyte trailer, premieres June 4

NOTW

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

You don't want to miss new episodes of Ms Marvel.

Is she black and trans? 

5 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Is she black and trans? 

Pakistani teen.

12 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

Queer? 

Idk.

7 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

good for bid she is, right ? 

Or god forbid needing an abortion!

Obi Wan was another show that I wanted to like, I really did, but I honestly can’t even figure out what the point of it was. I mean, how was any of it even relevant to the larger Star Wars story?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Obi Wan was another show that I wanted to like, I really did, but I honestly can’t even figure out what the point of it was. I mean, how was any of it even relevant to the larger Star Wars story?

I felt the same way with Boba Fett. I enjoyed all of the newer Star Wars spin offs but also was left with wanting more from their story. I felt the Mandolorian was well done and was the best of the bunch, followed up by Obi Wan then Boba Fett. 

Just had a conversation with a friend about the droids in Star Wars.  I recall a long time ago when they did one of the anniversary specials on TV they went through the history of SW, and in one segment Lucas talked about the droids in the original trilogy.  He talked about R2 and 3PO being vital characters to the story, something about them holding up a mirror to human behavior and providing commentary while also being participants.  Kind of like how a lot of sci-fi use aliens visiting Earth to comment on human behavior (3rd Rock from the Sun sitcom for example).  

Eventually, Lucas went away from that.  The droids became super heroes, ex machina to save the day, gimmicks or accessories.  One exception I can think of since the OG trilogy: K2SO in Rogue One was a great character and commented on human behavior.  The sarcasm and humor were well done and you actually felt something when he was destroyed.  Another interesting angle is in The Mandalorian how he doesn't like/trust droids and how he deals with the bounty hunter droid reprogrammed to protect Baby Yoda.  I did like BB-8 at first but then he became a ridiculous action hero in The Last Jedi.

Thoughts on droids post-ROTJ? 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Just had a conversation with a friend about the droids in Star Wars.  I recall a long time ago when they did one of the anniversary specials on TV they went through the history of SW, and in one segment Lucas talked about the droids in the original trilogy.  He talked about R2 and 3PO being vital characters to the story, something about them holding up a mirror to human behavior and providing commentary while also being participants.  Kind of like how a lot of sci-fi use aliens visiting Earth to comment on human behavior (3rd Rock from the Sun sitcom for example).  

Eventually, Lucas went away from that.  The droids became super heroes, ex machina to save the day, gimmicks or accessories.  One exception I can think of since the OG trilogy: K2SO in Rogue One was a great character and commented on human behavior.  The sarcasm and humor were well done and you actually felt something when he was destroyed.  Another interesting angle is in The Mandalorian how he doesn't like/trust droids and how he deals with the bounty hunter droid reprogrammed to protect Baby Yoda.  I did like BB-8 at first but then he became a ridiculous action hero in The Last Jedi.

I also liked the droid in Solo. When she leads the revolt in the mines of Kessel was great. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gannan said:

I also liked the droid in Solo. When she leads the revolt in the mines of Kessel was great. 

Voice is Phoebe Waller Bridge. Aka the woman from Fleabag.  

fleabag-phoebe-waller-bridge.gif

Which means "the Millennium Falcon is a promiscuous British alcoholic" is canon now IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

They were supposed to play the role of characters like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern from Shakespeare.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gannan said:

The brightest spot of the movie.

A week after and no one's talking about Obi-Wan, I don't even see the SW marketing team making social media posts about it. It's like it ended months ago.

It's what happens you when you make bad TV.  People forget about it.  The fact I couldn't remember how Reva ended up in the storyline the same evening after I watched the last episode says a lot about how good that program was.

It’s almost like they had the holiday weekend off, that’s bananas!

Obi Wan wasn’t without its faults, but it was a good character study of Kenobi figuratively and literally pulling himself out of a pit and getting back to being himself. 

• Like 1

It was the most watched Disney + show, so obviously some people liked it. Most of the time with these shows, I'm just like "entertain me". It did that. I felt that way about Stranger things as well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Weaponx01 said:

It’s almost like they had the holiday weekend off, that’s bananas!

The Star Wars marketing team was posting a lot then stopped after the finale aired. Their last 2 posts in Instagram since which they posted on July 1st (pod racing) then after the holiday weekend off they posted a baby Ewok, not a reminder to watch Obi-Wan.  I thought that was odd.  Maybe given the numbers they assume everyone's watched it.

Screenshot_20220706-175951_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220706-180005_Instagram.jpg

Stuart Bettie, a writer on the show said the ending was originally different and then changed:

https://epicstream.com/article/obi-wan-kenobis-rematch-of-the-century-originally-had-a-different-outcome

Turns out, Vader overcoming Kenobi was how their rematch originally ended and according to writer Stuart Beattie, the idea was to make Vader believe that Kenobi is actually dead which would have made his appearance in A New Hope all the more shocking.

Speaking with The Direct, Beattie explains: "In mine, he really did believe that Kenobi was dead at the end, which was the thing that allowed him to finally let Kenobi go and focus on ruling the galaxy with an iron fist. Because it always seemed that in [A New Hope] he was shocked when he was like 'I sense something, a presence I've not felt since...' Why do you stop talking to yourself? It's because you're that shocked, you know?"

2 hours ago, Gannan said:

It was the most watched Disney + show, so obviously some people liked it. Most of the time with these shows, I'm just like "entertain me". It did that. I felt that way about Stranger things as well. 

The premiere episode was the highest for Disney+ but there was drop off (as with most shows).  The finale was the highest for Star Wars shows on Disney+ (1.8m, Boba Fett 1.5m, Mandalorian season 2 finale 1.1m).  The Loki finale has the record for highest Disney+ viewership (1.9m). 

14 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

It's what happens you when you make bad TV.  People forget about it.  The fact I couldn't remember how Reva ended up in the storyline the same evening after I watched the last episode says a lot about how good that program was.

I just realized that I forgot already..... Did she die? 

13 hours ago, NOTW said:

Stuart Bettie, a writer on the show said the ending was originally different and then changed:

https://epicstream.com/article/obi-wan-kenobis-rematch-of-the-century-originally-had-a-different-outcome

That would make sense in terms of canon, but then Disney wouldn't get the cool blue/red lightsaber scene, so nah.  Let's not do that

9 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

I just realized that I forgot already..... Did she die? 

I don't think so. She took Luke back and then disappeared, but I only recall that from watching review videos. My first thought was she died, but clearly there is a Reva series redemption series from Disney at some point, likely based on Tattooine and the generic city from Kenobi and Boba Fett