Vic Fangio (Eagles Sr Asst) -- HIRED BY MIAMI AS DC

DeathByEagle

Rumor is Vic Fangio is out as Head Coach of the Denver Broncos. 

If this turns out to be true, I am firing Gannon and signing Fangio only moments after he is let go. 

***Title updated after its been announce Vic will be fired by Denver on Mon. 

I would hire him in a heart beat. the locker room has publicly spoke out all season on Gannons lack of scheme and knowledge. For the type of offense we currently have we need a top 5 defense and Vic has done that now in his last two teams. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

He's a 3-4 guy, no?

That's true... but he's a damn good DC and this team has the ammo to change things up if they wanted. Plus I thought he was more flexible than being an outright 3-4?

41 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

He's a 3-4 guy, no?

Do you watch the Eagles? Gannon uses a 3-4 over defense a majority of the base defense

39 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's true... but he's a damn good DC and this team has the ammo to change things up if they wanted. Plus I thought he was more flexible than being an outright 3-4?

Meh, I think he will have his pick of DC jobs and will likely go with a team with 3-4 personnel in place.

And unless, Gannon gets a HC job, I don't think he's going anywhere either.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Meh, I think he will have his pick of DC jobs and will likely go with a team with 3-4 personnel in place.

And unless, Gannon gets a HC job, I don't think he's going anywhere either.

The Eagles secretly drafted a lot of 3-4 projected players in Williams, Jackson and Johnson. Even Stevens as a possible move to MLB. This team Dline and LB wise is more suited as a 3-4 then a 4 man front which is exactly why Gannon uses the 3-4 over as a base. 

• Like 1

The Eagles aren’t making any major changes. It looks like they’re making the playoffs with a first-year starter at QB, new coaching staff and they’ve improved throughout the year. 

While Gannon’s not the best DC, the D is much better than it was in the beginning of the year. He made some adjustments and they worked. Their run D was the worst I’ve EVER seen early on but now it’s a strength again. 

5 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

The Eagles aren’t making any major changes. It looks like they’re making the playoffs with a first-year starter at QB, new coaching staff and they’ve improved throughout the year. 

While Gannon’s not the best DC, the D is much better than it was in the beginning of the year. He made some adjustments and they worked. Their run D was the worst I’ve EVER seen early on but now it’s a strength again. 

You do realize they did not get better right? There last 6 games have been against the teams in the bottom of the league. 2nd and 3rd string QBs. 

Put this defense against any top 16 team and the defense is Swiss cheese. 

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

You do realize they did not get better right? There last 6 games have been against the teams in the bottom of the league. 2nd and 3rd string QBs. 

Put this defense against any top 16 team and the defense is Swiss cheese. 

I’m sure they’ll get exposed in the playoffs but I don’t think it’s Gannon’s fault. This is not a talented defense. 

With the playoff berth, the only hope now for an upgrade at DC is for someone to hire Gannon as their HC.

A) Gannon isn’t good enough to be hired as HC - the defense is average at best and it wasn’t like he had a bunch veterans happy about it.

B) He’s Siri’s boy, so he’s not getting fired - nor should he, as the D is transitioning to something (TBD if this approach pans out, but it’s a bit milquetoast for me).

Gannon is young enough to still learn from his mistakes, we’re getting more young defensive talent in the draft, and Siri likely won’t let him get poached (unless Jeff and Howie step in, which I doubt).

I remember wanting Fangio as HC back in 2013. I think he would still want to be head coach wherever he goes. I don’t see it happening.

On 1/3/2022 at 12:26 PM, Kwahu said:

Gannon is young enough to still learn from his mistakes, we’re getting more young defensive talent in the draft, and Siri likely won’t let him get poached (unless Jeff and Howie step in, which I doubt).

I remember wanting Fangio as HC back in 2013. I think he would still want to be head coach wherever he goes. I don’t see it happening.

From my understanding, they couldn't block Gannon for interviewing for HC jobs per league rules?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

From my understanding, they couldn't block Gannon for interviewing for HC jobs per league rules?

Yeah that's my understanding too. I think you can block from interviewing for coordinator roles but not HC roles. 

Considering this is a rebuilding year where we still managed to make the playoffs, I don't see Gannon being fired, regardless of whoever becomes available. Had the team finished this season on a big losing streak and only win 4 or 5 games this year, marred by big blowouts, I can see him being let go after a year. We're 9-7 with the opportunity to finish 10-7. Have to give the coaching staff credit where it's due, even if we had a softer schedule in the 2nd half. You play who is on the schedule.

However, if the media rumors are true and Gannon does actually interview for a HC job, we may get lucky and someone thinks that he's HC material, opening up a spot for an experienced veteran DC option. A playoff win or two would certainly help our case. Otherwise, we just have to hope that adding talent to the defense via the draft leads to improvement on the field.

On 1/2/2022 at 4:32 PM, DeathByEagle said:

Rumor is Vic Fangio is out as Head Coach of the Denver Broncos. 

If this turns out to be true, I am firing Gannon and signing Fangio only moments after he is let go. 

Probably smart. There is a special bond between Siri and Gannon though, hope this would not add some drama..

I mean whatever gets Gannon out of town. But I seriously doubt he’s going anywhere. No one is signing him as a head coach after last nights display.

I would like to see a veteran presence on this coaching staff. I have a feeling Gannon is going to be back though.