Washington Commanders can't do anything right

toolg

On 11/6/2022 at 5:24 PM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yup. They wanted a multi-syllable name that's awkward to pronounce. And for good measure, they decided to outfit them in terrible uniforms. It was very well thought out. But you'd expect that, given that they had almost two years to get it all right.

But ya gotta like the taco holder on the helmets

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0745/8479/products/image_c3b9bf5a-44dd-4c42-b343-4038f9ca12c9_560x.png?v=1644608863

• 2 weeks later...

I get that there is some extra love there because the dude was shot (and eventually died from the wounds) in his home in front of his (gf\wife?).  But that fanbase lionizes him as if he was established as the next Ronnie Lott.  The reality is he was a complete liability in pass coverage (his final season, pairing him with LaRon Landry who was even WORSE in that area made him freelance less and look more like a complete safety) but was a hard hitter against the run.

But when you are an absolute dog **** franchise for 3 decades, I guess these are the things you hang your hat on.

Oh, and when do you think Macy's is going to ask for their mannequin back?

• Like 1

Nobody asked for a Sean Taylor statue. It was like somebody last minute thought they should do something to commemorate, so they pieced together some uniform parts and stuck it on a wire silhouette (Nike jersey, Reebok pants, Adidas cleats). His daughter liked the shoes though.

• Haha 1

Welp, after the game one of the R-words unveiled something even more ridiculous.  I'm not sure if this was done intentionally to take heat off the "statue" or not. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, paco said:

Welp, after the game one of the R-words unveiled something even more ridiculous.  I'm not sure if this was done intentionally to take heat off the "statue" or not. 

Big hat might become a trend!

Honestly, its not the first time I've seen it.  Not in person, but on the internet. 

Of course it's very sad that he (Taylor) was murdered and I understand the team honoring him because of that. But at the same time, I seem to remember him being a 'problem child' sort of player. I recall a DUI where he refused to submit to a sobriety test, spitting in someone's face after a game and it seems like there was a lot more. 

Talented player, but at the same time one that caused a bit of trouble for the team. Am I misremembering that? Had he not been tragically murdered, would the team honor him as just being a former player?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Of course it's very sad that he (Taylor) was murdered and I understand the team honoring him because of that. But at the same time, I seem to remember him being a 'problem child' sort of player. I recall a DUI where he refused to submit to a sobriety test, spitting in someone's face after a game and it seems like there was a lot more. 

Talented player, but at the same time one that caused a bit of trouble for the team. Am I misremembering that? Had he not been tragically murdered, would the team honor him as just being a former player?

In 2005 he was charged with felony assault with a firearm and one count of simple assault.  He took a plea deal in 2006 if memory serves me.  

20 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I forgot about that one, but I definitely remember him being a 'problem' for both the team and the league. 

This is in his wiki

In October 2004, Taylor was arrested in Fairfax County, Virginia, on a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol following a birthday party in Washington, D.C., for former Redskins receiver Rod Gardner. Pulled over for driving 82 mph on the Beltway, where the speed limit is 55 mph, Taylor failed a field sobriety test and then refused a blood alcohol (BAC) test, which resulted in his arrest.[38] A Fairfax County judge acquitted Taylor of the charges in March 2005 after viewing a videotape of Taylor's roadside sobriety tests that, according to the judge, failed to demonstrate obvious intoxication. Taylor was, however, convicted for refusing to take a blood alcohol test requested by a Virginia state police officer.[39] But when this case was heard on appeal in March 2005, Taylor was acquitted of refusing to take the BAC test, with the judge ruling there was a lack of probable cause for the request.[40]

Taylor was sought by police following a June 2005 incident in which bullets were fired into a stolen vehicle.[41] During an April 2006 trial, Taylor pled no contest to misdemeanor battery and assault charges; he was placed on 18 months probation and ordered to support ten Miami-Dade County schools by speaking about the importance of education and donating $1,000 to each school.[42]

Also I forgot about this.  He only made one pro bowl as an alternate (and then one after he was killed for, feels).  He was never a top 5 safety at any point in his career.

Even while playing on a struggling Redskins defensive unit, Taylor's impact on the field was recognized when he was named a first alternate to the NFC's 2007 Pro Bowl team. When the NFC's first choice for safety, Brian Dawkins of the Philadelphia Eagles, chose not to play in the Pro Bowl due to an injury, Taylor was named to the vacated spot, marking his first and only Pro Bowl appearance. A crushing hit by Taylor on Buffalo Bills punter Brian Moorman in the Pro Bowl created much fan and media discussion

Now the hit in question I did not forget.  This is the hit on a punter.... and remember it's IN THE PRO BOWL.  R-words fans still get hard over that one but if Dawk did it they would whine about how dirty a player he is (and we know this because they still cry about the Dawk-Plex)

On 11/28/2022 at 8:13 AM, paco said:

I get that there is some extra love there because the dude was shot (and eventually died from the wounds) in his home in front of his (gf\wife?).  But that fanbase lionizes him as if he was established as the next Ronnie Lott.  The reality is he was a complete liability in pass coverage (his final season, pairing him with LaRon Landry who was even WORSE in that area made him freelance less and look more like a complete safety) but was a hard hitter against the run.

But when you are an absolute dog **** franchise for 3 decades, I guess these are the things you hang your hat on.

Oh, and when do you think Macy's is going to ask for their mannequin back?

Man, Sean Taylor gets better every year I think.  At the time, I recall him being a guy that was pretty much ready to break out.  Not quite there yet, but certainly ready to become an elite safety.  I just saw a video the other day that had elevated him to a top-3 safety up there with Ed Reed and Dawk.  Sorry, no.  Those other two guys were already elite, Sean Taylor was possibly on his way, but needed more than just a half season of playing at a high level.  

Anyways, at what point do Redskins fans start to try to get him into the hall of fame?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Man, Sean Taylor gets better every year I think.  At the time, I recall him being a guy that was pretty much ready to break out.  Not quite there yet, but certainly ready to become an elite safety.  I just saw a video the other day that had elevated him to a top-3 safety up there with Ed Reed and Dawk.  Sorry, no.  Those other two guys were already elite, Sean Taylor was possibly on his way, but needed more than just a half season of playing at a high level.  

Anyways, at what point do Redskins fans start to try to get him into the hall of fame?

That's fair.  2007 was by far his best.  He stopped freelancing on the field and off the field it appears he was maturing.  

Potential taken too soon, absolutely.  But memorialized with a "statue" is a joke IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paco said:

That's fair.  2007 was by far his best.  He stopped freelancing on the field and off the field it appears he was maturing.  

Potential taken too soon, absolutely.  But memorialized is a joke IMO.

I honestly think it's just strange.  Philly lost Jerome Brown, but there's no statues, no painted jerseys on the ground, no ceremonies honoring anniversaries, nothing like that.   Was his number even retired?  Maybe you're right, it's a franchise that has almost nobody of note that's played for them in the last 2 decades, so perhaps you hang onto every positive player?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Was his number even retired?

Yes, 99 was retired. 

• Like 1

:pizza: 

Attorneys demand removal of ex-Washington cheerleader images

The attorneys for more than three dozen former Washington Commanders employees demanded the removal of "sexualized and salacious photographs" of the organization's former cheerleaders from any official Congressional port of record.

Attorneys Lisa Banks and Debra Katz sent a strongly worded letter to House Committee on Oversight and Reform ranking member James Comer (R-Kentucky) saying their clients are both "humiliated and incensed by the GOP's reckless dissemination of these photographs."

The photographs in question were originally sent by the team's former general manager and team president Bruce Allen to former Las Vegas Raiders head coach Jon Gruden and several other men. Fifty-seven of the emails were distributed as part of a memorandum from Republicans on Dec. 7 following the release of the committee's investigation, led by Democrats, into Commanders owner Dan Snyder and the organization's workplace.

Banks told ESPN that including these documents were "outrageous." She called the inclusion of these photos "unnecessary, inappropriate and unprofessional."

A committee Republican aide said the pictures are not, and won't be, part of the Congressional record. The memorandum was distributed to Republican staff members. Numerous media outlets received the memorandum as well.

The aide said in a statement that Democrats "cherry-picked facts" to support their narrative and that the Republicans' memorandum was meant to show more evidence should be considered.

The statement also read that, "Prior to circulating the internal memo, Committee staff took steps to ensure all sensitive images involving cheerleaders were redacted and their identities kept confidential."

Banks and Katz also sent their letter to outgoing Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney (D-New York). Comer will take over as the committee chair next month.

Last week, the Republicans released the 57 emails and documents, which included images of former Washington cheerleaders, whose faces were blacked out.

"These emails show that under Allen's leadership there was a toxic workplace -- one that has since been reformed based on independent third-party reviews of the team's culture," the memo says. "Committee Democrats have not identified or presented any similar emails or documents identifying any racist, misogynistic, or homophobic behavior from Dan Snyder."

Melanie Coburn, a former Washington cheerleader and marketing director, said that while two of the cheerleader photos were from a calendar, others were from pre-edits that were placed in binders meant to be presented to ownership and had not yet been released.

"It's more about when [Allen] got access to these and what state these photos were in," Coburn said. "In some body paint, if it's not touched up, it's very revealing.

"These women are devastated again. They feel powerless, they feel silenced and they're retraumatized."

Coburn said the inclusion of these images was a "slap in the face" to legislation introduced by Maloney called the Professional Images Protection Act that would "guard against employer abuse of employee images and ensure that employees have a say in how and when their images are used for business purposes."

"These are our elected officials in the context of what purports to be an official document putting forward salacious sexualized images as part of their report obviously to embarrass one particular individual with whom Dan Snyder has a dispute," Banks told ESPN.

In the letter to Comer, Banks and Katz, who represent more than 40 former team employees, wrote that including the former cheerleaders' pictures caused "additional and unnecessary pain." Coburn said some of the women involved in the pictures also were part of lewd videos from photo shoots allegedly made for Snyder.

"These photographs, which show women's breasts, buttocks and genital areas," they wrote in the letter, "were apparently disseminated to advance team owner Daniel Snyder's persistent but discredited narrative that Bruce Allen, and not Mr. Snyder, was responsible for the sexually hostile and misogynistic team culture.

"Our clients also want assurances these photographs will never be used in such a manner again."

community-britta.gif

Devil's Advocate:  If these girls are "traumatized" by naked pictures of themselves, maybe they should have not gotten naked for a photo shoot.

16 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Devil's Advocate:  If these girls are "traumatized" by naked pictures of themselves, maybe they should have not gotten naked for a photo shoot.

I think you need a little context.

Other disturbing allegations raised in the Post’s reporting included the creation of videos of outtakes from the cheerleader swimsuit calendar photo-shoots in both June of 2008 and June of 2010.

In "Beauties on the Beach,” the official video chronicling the making of the Washington NFL team’s 2008 cheerleader swimsuit calendar, the women frolic in the sand, rave about their custom bikinis and praise a photographer for putting them at ease in settings where sometimes only a strategically placed prop or tightly framed shot shielded otherwise bare breasts.

What the cheerleaders didn’t know was that another video, intended strictly for private use, would be produced using footage from that same shoot. Set to classic rock, the 10-minute unofficial video featured moments when nipples were inadvertently exposed as the women shifted positions or adjusted props.

The lewd outtakes were what Larry Michael, then the team’s lead broadcaster and a senior vice president, referred to as "the good bits” or "the good parts,” according to Brad Baker, a former member of Michael’s staff. Baker said in an interview that he was present when Michael told staffers to make the video for team owner Daniel Snyder.

4 hours ago, paco said:

The lewd outtakes were what Larry Michael, then the team’s lead broadcaster and a senior vice president, referred to as "the good bits” or "the good parts,”

And to think, our 'lead guy' got in trouble for spitting on a field... 

8 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

And to think, our 'lead guy' got in trouble for spitting on a field... 

Oh, Dave >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Larry Michael

Larry Michael was predicting 60-3 victories over the patriots when the R-words were a bottom 5 team.

Edit: Found a video :lol: https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/you-knew-it-was-coming-larry-michael-picks-redskins-beat-patriots

:roll:  skintangables :roll: 

• Like 1

I want something nice for the Redskins/Commies, something nice for their fans. Bragging rights. I want them to have prideful bragging rights! I want them to be able to tease us Eagles fans mercilessly... 

Spoiler

In March (and beyond) I want them to be able to say that they were the ONLY team in 20 games, to beat the 19-1 2022 Philadelphia Eagles. 

Of course, our retort will be to hold up our Lombardi, smile and say yep, the ONLY team to beat the 2022 Eagles! 

• Like 2