Washington Commanders can't do anything right

toolg

• 3 weeks later...

The Snyders are selling the Commanders. Any day now, right? :unsure:

Reports say a potential Commanders sale is not on the agenda at the owners meeting next week. 

• 3 weeks later...

Snyder is selling the franchise to a group that includes 76ers co-owner Josh Harris and Magic Johnson.

19 hours ago, pisceschica said:

What a terrible day.

I don't know, Harris has been pretty bad with the Sixers. Not Snyder bad, but he is someone that constantly shoots himself in the foot. Washington will still be mediocre 

On 4/14/2023 at 12:41 PM, Mat said:

I don't know, Harris has been pretty bad with the Sixers. Not Snyder bad, but he is someone that constantly shoots himself in the foot. Washington will still be mediocre 

I don't follow philly sports just the eagles. Hopefully you are right because frankly there is no where to go but up for that franchise. 

• 1 month later...

Now it looks like the new owners of Washington's Football team may have to change the name from Commanders after all due to the trademark being denied

Now I'd be really looking to change the name to the Senators to pay homage to the two former baseball franchises in Washington, putting the Capitol on the helmets while keeping the current colors and using a modified (for football) version of the second Senators (1961-'71) logo:

Second Senators Logo.png

It doesn't mean the end.  Golden Knights was trademarked, and a deal was worked out for the NHL team.

1 hour ago, xzmattzx said:

It doesn't mean the end.  Golden Knights was trademarked, and a deal was worked out for the NHL team.

True, but in this case, I would have gone for the Senators name in the first place.

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

True, but in this case, I would have gone for the Senators name in the first place.

I doubt they'll want to invoke politics in any form, in their name, though. When the Senators were a baseball team, the Senate, House and President were much more respected. That's not the case in 2023. 

They should just go back to their longtime traditional name, Redskins. Just don't use the helmet sticker with the Indian head. Use a feather or arrow, like some of their old helmets. Or even the one with the R. I know that won't happen, though. 

5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I doubt they'll want to invoke politics in any form, in their name, though. When the Senators were a baseball team, the Senate, House and President were much more respected. That's not the case in 2023. 

They should just go back to their longtime traditional name, Redskins. Just don't use the helmet sticker with the Indian head. Use a feather or arrow, like some of their old helmets. Or even the one with the R. I know that won't happen, though. 

The only people who would be sensitive about the Senators name being brought back as a new name of a football team likely would be people who have shown to be outrage addicts looking for a reason to be outraged over anything in my opinion.  There already is an Ottawa Senators in the NHL (and has been since 1992 with the name actually much older if you go back to the early days of the NHL before the "original six" era) and no one complains about that nor has in the 30+ years they've been back.  

6 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

The only people who would be sensitive about the Senators name being brought back as a new name of a football team likely would be people who have shown to be outrage addicts looking for a reason to be outraged over anything in my opinion.  There already is an Ottawa Senators in the NHL (and has been since 1992 with the name actually much older if you go back to the early days of the NHL before the "original six" era) and no one complains about that nor has in the 30+ years they've been back.  

I just don't see them doing that because the dislike for politics is fairly universal right now, and has been for a good while. Not to mention that the Rangers (I believe) own the name and that would have to be worked out, if possible. 

I think that they'll likely work it out with the name "Commanders" and stay that. I hope not, though because it would be really entertaining to see them fail at everything, even their new name. 

As for Ottawa in the NHL (which I've never in my life followed the NHL), Ottawa is Canadian and not associated with Washington, D.C., thus not associated with the United States Congress and U.S. politics. The Washington Senators NFL team, would be. Plus, if they're having trademark issues with 'Commanders' because of other entities using the name, then the Ottawa hockey team would most likely cause the same problem. 

Don't get me wrong, I grew up 5 miles away from RFK stadium and Washington, D.C. in the 70's/80's (and 9 months worth of the 60's). My father used to take my older siblings to Senators games, so I grew up hearing the stories of those outings and games and everyone wishing that the Senators were still there. So I know the name "Washington Senators" very well, and that familiarity with it causes me to like the name. I just don't think it'll happen. 

The Ottawa Senators may have the trademark on Senators because the NHL is in both countries.  The Vegas Golden Knights could not use the name Las Vegas Knights because there's a team in the Ontario Hockey League called the London Knights, and the OHL's footprint is in both the US and Canada, so the London Knights had a trademark on the name in the US as well as Canada.

23 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

The Ottawa Senators may have the trademark on Senators because the NHL is in both countries.  The Vegas Golden Knights could not use the name Las Vegas Knights because there's a team in the Ontario Hockey League called the London Knights, and the OHL's footprint is in both the US and Canada, so the London Knights had a trademark on the name in the US as well as Canada.

There is the Harrisburg senators

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

What about the Harrisburg senators 

Not sure.  The Harrisburg Senators existed (off an on, I think), since the 1920s.  The original Ottawa Senators existed in the 1920s.  I don't know how sports team trademarks worked, and if they had them that long ago.  It may be a dual trademark nowadays based on history.  But both are entrenched and a Washington Senators NFL team is not.

2 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

Not sure.  The Harrisburg Senators existed (off an on, I think), since the 1920s.  The original Ottawa Senators existed in the 1920s.  I don't know how sports team trademarks worked, and if they had them that long ago.  It may be a dual trademark nowadays based on history.  But both are entrenched and a Washington Senators NFL team is not.

Oh well doesn't matter they are not changing the name to that anyways

7 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Oh well doesn't matter they are not changing the name to that anyways

Don't be so sure of that.  If they move the Black Friday game to Thanksgiving Eve to capitalize on the Wednesday night football market, and the next Super Bowl in New Orleans is moved to the following weekend to make room for the clown convention, and the NFL puts some games on at 10 PM because millennials like to watch what they want when they want, then the Commanders may want to change their name to the Senators to capitalize on the market of people whose grandfathers grew up as Senators baseball fans.  They can even sell merchandise with the old Senators logo, changing the pitcher to a quarterback!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE dogs and this is still too much cringe for me.

I posted this elsewhere, but I guess this is the correct thread:

Washington currently has the longest drought of having 11 or more wins in a season.  How do they stack up with the rest of the nfl?

Year Team Years since 11+ wins 
1991 Washington 31
2007 Jacksonville 15
2008 Miami 14
2010 NY Jets 12
2014 Detroit 8
2015 Denver 7
2016 Las Vegas Raiders 6
2016 Atlanta 6
2016 NY Giants 6
2017 Carolina 5
2018 LA Chargers 4
2018 Houston 4
2018 Chicago 4
2019 New England 3
2020 Seattle 2
2020 New Orleans 2
2020 Indianapolis 2
2020 Cleveland 2
2020 Baltimore 2
2020 Pittsburgh 2
2021 Arizona 1
2021 LA Rams 1
2021 Tampa Bay 1
2021 Green Bay 1
2021 Tennessee 1
2022 Dallas 0
2022 Minnesota 0
2022 San Fran 0
2022 Cincinnati 0
2022 Buffalo 0
2022 Kansas City 0
2022 Philadelphia 0

On 6/15/2023 at 8:53 AM, paco said:

I posted this elsewhere, but I guess this is the correct thread:

Washington currently has the longest drought of having 11 or more wins in a season.  How do they stack up with the rest of the nfl?

Year Team Years since 11+ wins 
1991 Washington 31
2007 Jacksonville 15
2008 Miami 14
2010 NY Jets 12
2014 Detroit 8
2015 Denver 7
2016 Las Vegas Raiders 6
2016 Atlanta 6
2016 NY Giants 6
2017 Carolina 5
2018 LA Chargers 4
2018 Houston 4
2018 Chicago 4
2019 New England 3
2020 Seattle 2
2020 New Orleans 2
2020 Indianapolis 2
2020 Cleveland 2
2020 Baltimore 2
2020 Pittsburgh 2
2021 Arizona 1
2021 LA Rams 1
2021 Tampa Bay 1
2021 Green Bay 1
2021 Tennessee 1
2022 Dallas 0
2022 Minnesota 0
2022 San Fran 0
2022 Cincinnati 0
2022 Buffalo 0
2022 Kansas City 0
2022 Philadelphia 0

Lord that's brutal.  Yet they somehow have managed to win the NFCEast a few times.  2-3 I think.

4 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Lord that's brutal.  Yet they somehow have managed to win the NFCEast a few times.  2-3 I think.

1999 with 10 wins.  The following offseason was their infamous splurge on Bruce Smith, Deon Sanders, etc.

2012 with 10 wins.  That was the season that RGIII won (I think) 6 straight to close out the regular season.  

2015 with 9 wins.  Someone had to win the NFC East that year.

2020 with 7 wins. Nobody wanted to win the NFC East that year

Other than those two 10 win seasons that gave them the division, they also had 10 wins in 2005 (which lead to one of the worst free agents classes EVER) and that's it.  Three 10 win seasons in over 30 years.  

This was a fun exercise :lol: 

Edit: 2012 they won 7 straight to finish the year.

• Like 2

Here's the NFC East record for the 21st Century (this includes a few years of the Cardinals, of course):

Spoiler

image.png

Here's the list of Division Champions for that span of time:

Spoiler

image.png

• 1 month later...

NFL owners unanimously OK the Commanders sale to Josh Harris; Dan Snyder fined $60M on the way out

https://apnews.com/article/washington-commanders-sale-91ab4a15a82255c71f5bcb79865bfe75

BLOOMINGTON, Minn. (AP) — NFL owners unanimously approved the sale of the Washington Commanders on Thursday from Dan Snyder to a group led by Josh Harris and including Magic Johnson for a record $6.05 billion, right before the league announced a $60 million fine for Snyder for improprieties corroborated by its investigation into workplace culture and business dealings.

Owners also received an in-person summary from former U.S. Attorney Mary Jo White on her investigation for the NFL into the Commanders that was launched 1½ years ago launched in light of the congressional review into workplace misconduct that also included a referral to the Federal Trade Commission for potential business improprieties by Snyder.

The probe corroborated an allegation that Snyder sexually harassed a former team employee who first brought that account forward in front of a House committee.

White’s report also confirmed that team executives under Snyder’s supervision deliberately withheld millions of dollars in revenue from other clubs.

@paco @TheLeadCommander 

13 hours ago, NOTW said:

NFL owners unanimously OK the Commanders sale to Josh Harris; Dan Snyder fined $60M on the way out

https://apnews.com/article/washington-commanders-sale-91ab4a15a82255c71f5bcb79865bfe75

@paco @TheLeadCommander 

8 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Man, and I JUST got use to calling them "The Washington Football Team"

Joke alternate:

The Washington Tuddy's

3iDS4ut.png