What The F

Netflix Instant Recommendations

1 hour ago, eaglegenius said:

I Care a Lot is worth a look especially if you have elders in your family.

A different kind of thriller - about scammers ripping off old people through "social services."
Very creepy and scary stuff.

Could have been based on the Philadelphia Corporation for Aging scammers who ripped off seniors over the years.

looked for that last night and it says it's not available yet ? i'm in it for the dinklage.

1 hour ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

looked for that last night and it says it's not available yet ? i'm in it for the dinklage.

I just watched it. It's excellent. 

Tribes of Europa

Reminds me a little of The 100

3 episodes in and it’s good so far. It’s also bilingual. They talk in English and German frequently 

Didn't realize it was only 6 episodes. Pretty good.

Also had a Game of Thrones vibe to it

Anime?!   LOL. Grown adults are into that ish?  Hmm. Who knew.  

"Hush"

Kind of a standard thriller/horror about a deaf writer who lives alone out in the woods being stalked by a psycho killer. It's by no means a masterpiece, but fans of the genre will probably like it. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Gannan said:

"Hush"

Kind of a standard thriller/horror about a deaf writer who lives alone out in the woods being stalked by a psycho killer. It's by no means a masterpiece, but fans of the genre will probably like it. 

This is also a Mike Flanagan film, so if you were into the Haunting of Hill House, Oculus, Doctor Sleep, Geralds Game, etc. Some of his stuff underwhelms but I'll always give his stuff a watch. 

• Like 2

Too lazy to research if this was already discussed, but The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel doc I thought was a lot of fun, and in a weird way felt like a part two to "Don't F with Cats."

a huge part of DFwC was the role the online community played in hunting the suspect/killer down and helping the police along the way catch this guy. It really showed how much power the everyday online message board person can have in these scenarios. But with this Cecil Hotel doc, it showed the downside to that, and how the online sleuths getting too deep ended up ruining a suspects life on top of just making a mountain out of a mole hill, with the ultimate resolution of death being

(don't click this if you intend on watching, as it discusses the cause of death of the victim)  

that the girl simply was out of her mind, being that she was bipolar and off her meds, which lead her to the place where she ultimately drowned. So no conspiracy, no kidnapping or haunting, just a girl who wasn't taking her medicine and it got her killed. And the online community wanted it to be so much more than that and ended up harassing innocent people along the way. I just felt like the message/takeaway was not everything is going to be a DFwC conspiracy, and let law enforcement do their jobs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JBENT87 said:

Too lazy to research if this was already discussed, but The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel doc I thought was a lot of fun, and in a weird way felt like a part two to "Don't F with Cats."

Reveal hidden contents

a huge part of DFwC was the role the online community played in hunting the suspect/killer down and helping the police along the way catch this guy. It really showed how much power the everyday online message board person can have in these scenarios. But with this Cecil Hotel doc, it showed the downside to that, and how the online sleuths getting too deep ended up ruining a suspects life on top of just making a mountain out of a mole hill, with the ultimate resolution of death being

(don't click this if you intend on watching, as it discusses the cause of death of the victim)  

Reveal hidden contents

that the girl simply was out of her mind, being that she was bipolar and off her meds, which lead her to the place where she ultimately drowned. So no conspiracy, no kidnapping or haunting, just a girl who wasn't taking her medicine and it got her killed. And the online community wanted it to be so much more than that and ended up harassing innocent people along the way. I just felt like the message/takeaway was not everything is going to be a DFwC conspiracy, and let law enforcement do their jobs.

Agree on your takes.  This docuseries was awesome.  It's crazy that all this stuff happened, but I don't remember any of it when it was in the news.  If Netflix does 1 thing really well, it's docuseries.  DFwC, The Vanishing at Cecil Hotel, Making a Murderer, the Richard Ramirez docuseries (this series was beyond creepy), Wild Wild Country, and I could just keep going.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Agree on your takes.  This docuseries was awesome.  It's crazy that all this stuff happened, but I don't remember any of it when it was in the news.  If Netflix does 1 thing really well, it's docuseries.  DFwC, The Vanishing at Cecil Hotel, Making a Murderer, the Richard Ramirez docuseries (this series was beyond creepy), Wild Wild Country, and I could just keep going.  

yep, preach w these docuseries. These two specifically, IMO, suck you in and then eventually pivot to something where you're like "oh crap, I remember that! This is actually about THAT??"

I actually did remember hearing about DFwC and this Cecil Hotel case. Not the specifics at all, but just the grainy footage re: both cases. Re: Cecil Hotel, I thought it was presented as a possessed person and just assumed it was from Japan or China with the Asian girl involved. Also just may have subconsciously associated that girl with the character they play in horror lore, such as The Grudge. crap, it's probably safe to assume the first place I saw/heard about these cases was the old EMB. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 4:54 PM, eaglegenius said:

I Care a Lot is worth a look especially if you have elders in your family.

A different kind of thriller - about scammers ripping off old people through "social services."
Very creepy and scary stuff.

Could have been based on the Philadelphia Corporation for Aging scammers who ripped off seniors over the years.

Talked about it in movie Thread.  I thought this movie broke the mold a bit.  The main character is really a horror movie villain, devious and evil as Hannibal Lector but believable.  Rosemund Pike really knocks it out of the park.  The movie unconvingcly tries to get you to root for her and then really screws with your head at the ending.  its peppered with winner takes all anarchism that reminds me of "too cool' 90's indie cinema.

23 hours ago, JBENT87 said:

yep, preach w these docuseries. These two specifically, IMO, suck you in and then eventually pivot to something where you're like "oh crap, I remember that! This is actually about THAT??"

I actually did remember hearing about DFwC and this Cecil Hotel case. Not the specifics at all, but just the grainy footage re: both cases. Re: Cecil Hotel, I thought it was presented as a possessed person and just assumed it was from Japan or China with the Asian girl involved. Also just may have subconsciously associated that girl with the character they play in horror lore, such as The Grudge. crap, it's probably safe to assume the first place I saw/heard about these cases was the old EMB. 

I remember the Cecil Hotel case vividly because I still can't get over there were two people who admitted that the water was discolored and tasted bad and they continued to drink it, shower and brush their teeth with it for days. I would never drink Hotel water from the faucet as is. It blows my mind they drank discolored water from that run down Hotel. 

• Like 2

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4378376/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Babylon Berlin, German with subtitles 3 seasons so far. Late 20’s season 3 just ended at the start of the depression and Hitler and his boys in the background. I’m sure he’ll be a much bigger part of the story whenever season 4 gets out

Cobra Kai 3 while I’m waiting and that Operation Odessa looks like it will hit the spot

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I remember the Cecil Hotel case vividly because I still can't get over there were two people who admitted that the water was discolored and tasted bad and they continued to drink it, shower and brush their teeth with it for days. I would never drink Hotel water from the faucet as is. It blows my mind they drank discolored water from that run down Hotel. 

They were from England though, weren't they?  It's still probably cleaner than their water.  👀

That was a sad story. I’m not sure what the hotel could have done to help her, but it would be nice to think that at least one person would try. The new owners plan to make half the hotel low income housing, and the other half a luxury hotel, sounds like a winner. I wonder why no one’s thought about putting a luxury hotel on skid row before.

On 2/22/2021 at 11:20 AM, hputenis said:

Evil Genius is another one. Short but interesting.  Also the Staircase. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The_Omega said:

That was a sad story. I’m not sure what the hotel could have done to help her, but it would be nice to think that at least one person would try. The new owners plan to make half the hotel low income housing, and the other half a luxury hotel, sounds like a winner. I wonder why no one’s thought about putting a luxury hotel on skid row before.

yep, imagine being a naive early 20 something booking a flight to LA for the first time and ya see this supposed luxury hotel for a good price. What a horrible, sleezy situation, renovating 1/8 of your building and leaving the rest of it to crap, essentially. Heres the nice floors for the tourists... if you see any rapists or murderers in the elevator on your way down to the lobby just don't make eye contact. 

11 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Evil Genius is another one. Short but interesting.  Also the Staircase. 

Yeah this was another one where it referenced a moment in the news that I sorta heard about (especially having taken place in bumbleF PA maybe), but have since forgotten (pizza delivery guy gets exploded on camera, or whatever the case was). Seeing the full story behind these crazy moments that have popped up in the news is just an awesome formula for these docuseries. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 6:37 AM, HazletonEagle said:

Behind her eyes- good

Well,  didn't really like the direction it went at the end,  but seems pretty original at least. 

The Sinner -Jamie  freaky.  I liked it.

Will try Behind her Eyes, saw that come up in the trending the other day.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:22 PM, The_Omega said:

For some reason, I decided to watch the 2nd episode, and, you know what?  It's actually gotten funnier.  I'm about 5 episodes in now, and, it's not The Office, but I've seen far worse.  The laugh track is annoying, but the characters are likeable enough, and the new team owner looks really good in tight clothing.

Last post on season 1 of The Crew.  Wound up enjoying it.  Being a traditional sitcom, it seems more suited to network TV, which it was probably originally made for, but being able to binge it was fine too.  Again, it's not The Office, or Parks and Rec, but it had some genuinely funny moments, and the season ended with a couple of storylines that makes me hope they pick it up for another season.  I'd be willing to be the most fans of NASCAR, looking right at you @BFit , will like it as muck as I did.

41 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

Last post on season 1 of The Crew.  Wound up enjoying it.  Being a traditional sitcom, it seems more suited to network TV, which it was probably originally made for, but being able to binge it was fine too.  Again, it's not The Office, or Parks and Rec, but it had some genuinely funny moments, and the season ended with a couple of storylines that makes me hope they pick it up for another season.  I'd be willing to be the most fans of NASCAR, looking right at you @BFit , will like it as muck as I did.

I wish it had more nascar, and I wish the driver wasn't dumber than eaglesva, but all in all it was pretty good

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

does this seem to have potential?

I thought that movie is for HBO Max?