Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2022 Off-Season

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

I still dont understand this.

Why, why is anyone thinking of adding a WR to this roster. 

The Eagles were 29th in Pass Attempts, 0.7 from being dead last. And this is with the fact that we threw the ball like mad men the first 4-5 weeks. 

I'd have to dig out the numbers but my guess, from week 6ish on, we were dead, dead, dead last in attempts with no one close to us. 

The reason I bring this up, With Hurts as the QB, with the 25 or so attempts per game, we have enough talent already to make it work. 

Smith, DG, Quez and the mix of running backs are more than able to handle that type of passing game

Because barely anyone wants to build the roster around Hurts, so you build the roster in the meantime so it's ready for someone else. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Currently up to about 30 million in cap space, and likely more to come. Howie is gonna make major noise this offseason.

At 14 million I was thinking we might get 1 sorta big ticker but not elite FA (like Chark). But now, Howie is gonna go wild.

Im liking the idea of a pass rusher, and a WR.

It could be a DE. Or it could be an upgrade at Avery's position, like Hassan Reddick. Improvin the LB corps, and pass rush at the same time. Thatd be a big move.

Under the radar, but major impact potential could be Obo Okoronkwo from the Rams. He played 200some snaps for them. I think he could break out when given a bigger opportunity.

We should probably steer clear of Randy Gregory, but hes an option. 

Those are the rush OLBs I consider.

At DE, Ogbah had 9 sacks and 24 hits. Hes 28.

Kemoko Turay had 6 sacks and 8 hits in 224 snaps. Could be a breakout candidate with a bigger role. Hes only 26. 

Arden Key had 7 sacks and 16 hits in 374 snaps. He is 25. 

As I look at this while I type the post, theres actually not a lot of young, high end talent at DE. It may be a semi-affordable position where you just try to get someone who can break out. 

1) Adding a WR to this offense(if they keep Hurts) is dumb. 

2) Love the idea of stacking the defense in both free agents and picks.    

Al-Quidin Muhammad from the colts is on my radar. I like Ogbah, but the price may scare me. 

*IF* we keep Hurts, the only additions I make is a drafted running back in the 3rd round and Offensive Line help

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Because barely anyone wants to build the roster around Hurts, so you build the roster in the meantime so it's ready for someone else. 

So you sign Chark for a 3-5 year deal and by the time we have a QB he needs to be resigned and close to 30. No thanks. 

At that point I trust NS to develop a WR that he found later in the draft. 

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

1) Adding a WR to this offense(if they keep Hurts) is dumb. 

2) Love the idea of stacking the defense in both free agents and picks.    

Al-Quidin Muhammad from the colts is on my radar. I like Ogbah, but the price may scare me. 

*IF* we keep Hurts, the only additions I make is a drafted running back in the 3rd round and Offensive Line help

If the WR is young, he may be here for the next QB. At the same time, as long as Hurts is here, the more stacked the offense is, the less excuses Hurts can have. Stack it up. If he sucks, its even more evidently clear. If he goes, the next QB is coming in to a great situation ready to hit the ground running.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

Nope. Much more interesting to hear dissertations on the penal system and hear insurance adjusters argue about insurance rates.  Just what everybody wants to read in the THE EAGLES OFFSEASON BLOG 

Admittedly, I have been sidetracked a time or two but I realize there is no debating or actual discussion in here.  Just poop flying from one poster to the other.

Anyhow, so, yes,I like your idea of adding a vet DE or OLB.  It would be good to get somebody who is actually young and has some upside to him rather than the broken down old vets that don't have anything left to play for like Kerrigan.  

Despite being a Cowboy, I actually really like Cedric Wilson's game.  He played really well this year and, at times, I thought he was the best WR on their team.  Love his ability to throw the ball too on trick plays.  He actually has a pretty good arm. 

Hey, Boomer here.  

I'd much rather draft DE and add a vet at WR.  Wilson is intriguing.  I have listed the others.  I really am all in on Chark.  Depending on the price.  So I guess that would mean I'm not all in.  

6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That's right.  Hurts is the answer!!!  Build around him.  Weapons baby...!  Give him a chance.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

If the WR is young, he may be here for the next QB. At the same time, as long as Hurts is here, the more stacked the offense is, the less excuses Hurts can have. Stack it up. If he sucks, its even more evidently clear. If he goes, the next QB is coming in to a great situation ready to hit the ground running.

I agree to an extent.  But, I worry about them adding WRs with Hurts. We heard leading up to the 2017 season, Torrey Smith and Alshon Jeffery came here because they wanted to play with Carson Wentz.  It made sense then.  Big armed, young gunslinger QB that was the #2 pick the year before and showed a great deal of promise as a rookie.    What WR is going to look at Hurts and say... "Yeah, I want to be a part of that passing attack."?

That makes me think that to land a WR, they'd need to overpay.  

5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Please don't say running.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That's right.  Hurts is the answer!!!  Build around him.  Weapons baby...!  Give him a chance.  

I originally put no one but forgot you have been pounding the table to stick with Hurts instead of drafting or trading for anyone. Lucky enough to make the ninja edit without getting caught. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I still dont understand this.

Why, why is anyone thinking of adding a WR to this roster. 

The Eagles were 29th in Pass Attempts, 0.7 from being dead last. And this is with the fact that we threw the ball like mad men the first 4-5 weeks. 

I'd have to dig out the numbers but my guess, from week 6ish on, we were dead, dead, dead last in attempts with no one close to us. 

The reason I bring this up, With Hurts as the QB, with the 25 or so attempts per game, we have enough talent already to make it work. 

Smith, DG, Quez and the mix of running backs are more than able to handle that type of passing game

Yup zero reason to bring in another WR when hurts can barely get the ball to the guys he's got 

Sure it's easy to blame reagor for the lack of production at WR but that doesn't explain hurts inability to get the ball to other guys like Smith.

Sirrianni didn't go to s run based offense because reagor sucked he went to a run based offense because hurts couldn't cut it as a passer 

Bringing in another WR isn't magically going to change that.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I agree to an extent.  But, I worry about them adding WRs with Hurts. We heard leading up to the 2017 season, Torrey Smith and Alshon Jeffery came here because they wanted to play with Carson Wentz.  It made sense then.  Big armed, young gunslinger QB that was the #2 pick the year before and showed a great deal of promise as a rookie.    What WR is going to look at Hurts and say... "Yeah, I want to be a part of that passing attack."?

Antionio Brown looks at Lamar Jackson and says he wants to be a part of that passing attack. Lamar isnt that good of a thrower. 

I know Hurts is not nearly even Lamar's level. But I still suspect just like many fans do, there will be plenty of players buying in to the hype and swag and "leadership". You see how teammates talk about him... I think there will be players that actually dont see him as a negative. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

???

• Haha 2

I know some like Jonny Page, here is his All-22 review of Hurts over the season- https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/1/27/22901120/eagles-all-22-film-review-jalen-hurts-deep-dive-analysis-quarterback-qb-starter-franchise-highlights?s=09

Its kind of all over the place and he contradicts himself quite a bit in the pros and cons section. One pro he says "Shows poise in the pocket and doesn’t look hurried too often. " Then in the cons says "Sometimes too keen to run and will bail from clean pockets". Which is it? Does he show poise in the pocket or does he scramble too often and bail early?

I'd much rather we give Reagor another shot.  He ran fast in college.  Guy just needs to be coached up.  Give him a chance to prove his draft position.  

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

Antionio Brown looks at Lamar Jackson and says he wants to be a part of that passing attack. Lamar isnt that good of a thrower. 

I know Hurts is not nearly even Lamar's level. But I still suspect just like many fans do, there will be plenty of players buying in to the hype and swag and "leadership". You see how teammates talk about him... I think there will be players that actually dont see him as a negative. 

So... what does that tell you?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wussbasket said:

I know some like Jonny Page, here is his All-22 review of Hurts over the season- https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/1/27/22901120/eagles-all-22-film-review-jalen-hurts-deep-dive-analysis-quarterback-qb-starter-franchise-highlights?s=09

Its kind of all over the place and he contradicts himself quite a bit in the pros and cons section. One pro he says "Shows poise in the pocket and doesn’t look hurried too often. " Then in the cons says "Sometimes too keen to run and will bail from clean pockets". Which is it? Does he show poise in the pocket or does he scramble too often and bail early?

Which one more adequately describes running around in a circle inside the pocket?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Yup zero reason to bring in another WR when hurts can barely get the ball to the guys he's got 

Sure it's easy to blame reagor for the lack of production at WR but that doesn't explain hurts inability to get the ball to other guys like Smith.

Sirrianni didn't go to s run based offense because reagor sucked he went to a run based offense because hurts couldn't cut it as a passer 

Bringing in another WR isn't magically going to change that.

You're not building the team around Hurts and his "passing" ability. You are building it for the offense Sirianni wants to run, not the run first offense we had this year.

40 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Yep. My favorites of his though are John Q, Man on Fire, Training Day and of course Remember the Titans.

The whole Gettysburg sequence irked me. They didn't even try to get anything about it right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

So... what does that tell you?

giphy.gif

it tells me what I just said. Players are dumb. They dont always judge teammates by talent. They judge them by hype and swag. Hurts may actually be a selling point for free agents, crazy as it may sound to you and me. 

Lesser known CBs I like

Marcus jones

Martin Emerson

Storm Duck

Tariq Woolen

Kyler Gordon 

really good DB class 

22 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Unless he finds a trade partner, he better.   And if the depth of this draft is what they say it is, there may not be a team looking to trade up to 15, 16 or 19.  The flip side is to trade for a veteran, but I really hope they don't do that.

Howie is likely to trade one of the 3 picks to next year.  This draft does not have many blue chips to choose from.  Better ship one to next year and hope for better pool then.  Also the 3 picks are bundled close together that would limit the choices.  Another possible move is to trade down for more 2nd day picks.  More picks and lower signing costs.

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

it tells me what I just said. Players are dumb. They dont always judge teammates by talent. They judge them by hype and swag. Hurts may actually be a selling point for free agents, crazy as it may sound to you and me. 

You highlighted the most unstable WR in the NFL (who isn't even in the NFL currently, due to his latest outburst) is the type that would see this passing attack and want to be a part of it... but even he is focusing on a different QB, who as you said, is actually better at throwing the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Lesser known CBs I like

Marcus jones

Martin Emerson

Storm Duck

Tariq Woolen

Kyler Gordon 

really good DB class 

I like Woolen a lot, and Jones. Storm Duck may be the greatest name ever.

• Like 2

Just now, Penn7980 said:

Howie is likely to trade one of the 3 picks to next year.  This draft does not have many blue chips to choose from.  Better ship one to next year and hope for better pool then.  Also the 3 picks are bundled close together that would limit the choices.  Another possible move is to trade down for more 2nd day picks.  More picks and lower signing costs.

Of course... if a trade partner exists.  The question is... will a trade partner exist.  Just because they want to trade out doesn't mean another team will want to trade in.   This is supposedly a deep draft in the range the Eagles' picks are... Getting a player at 19 versus getting a player at 25, 35, maybe even 55 isn't going to be that huge a difference.  

He can try, but trying doesn't guarantee success.