Devonta Smith discussion: rate his performance

700Level4Life

Maybe I overvalue him, but I absolutely think he's a number 1.  What more is he supposed to do?  He creates separation on 90% of his routes, and he had one of the worst throwers of the football in the NFL missing him consistently on a week to week basis.  His route running is smooth and impeccable.  My only concern long term is his size, but he passed that test in his 1st season.  

• Like 3

He’s at least top 32 (Our #1 plus top 32 stats).  Not much of a debate there, tbh. 

On 1/20/2022 at 12:36 PM, NOTW said:

As for rankings: (this includes tight ends)

• 29th total yards
  • 41st yards/game
  • 45th receptions
  • 46th TDs

In addition Devonta Smith was ranked PFF #32 among all WRs. All in all, I think that puts him just inside the top 32 WRs this season.

He's a natural talent. One of the best route runners I've seen coming right from college. Also consider he's a rookie. As he was improving during the season, the Eagles switched their offense to more of a rushing attack, limiting what he could do on the field. I think there is plenty of room he could improve next season and in the future. We haven't seen the limit to what he can accomplish.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, toolg said:

In addition Devonta Smith was ranked PFF #32 among all WRs. All in all, I think that puts him just inside the top 32 WRs this season.

He's a natural talent. One of the best route runners I've seen coming right from college. Also consider he's a rookie. As he was improving during the season, the Eagles switched their offense to more of a rushing attack, limiting what he could do on the field. I think there is plenty of room he could improve next season and in the future. We haven't seen the limit to what he can accomplish.

I agree.  I’d like to see him get some more "deep route” opportunities but the offense being what it is, what they’re doing with him is fine for now, imo. 

great he is gonna do more press conferences and media appearances 

maybe even dancing with the stars or something like that.

32 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

great he is gonna do more press conferences and media appearances 

maybe even dancing with the stars or something like that.

Or dancing on the star, that’s always a crowd pleaser

• Like 1

l like him a lot, but don't start TALKING about about yourself. Let your playing do the talking next year, stay humble and good things will happen. 

the substance is created by Smith and his quote. The input is that Hurts can't read the field, panics, doesn't throw a good ball, much less being able to throw a long pass and utilize Smith's speed.

4 hours ago, nicks said:

But, to be more involved, and to see more of him, Wouldn't we need a real QB?

We have a Smith topic already, and you gave no link or quote or anything helpful. 

Merged.

21 minutes ago, nicks said:

the substance is created by Smith and his quote. The input is that Hurts can't read the field, panics, doesn't throw a good ball, much less being able to throw a long pass and utilize Smith's speed.

13 minutes ago, Moderator6 said:

We have a Smith topic already, and you gave no link or quote or anything helpful. 

Merged.

7FCC6594-BB2B-4F26-9D60-633BF397DA4C.gif

Why did my post get merged into this. Might as well merge every topic. 🤷‍♀️

Just now, 700Level4Life said:

7 hours ago, Moderator6 said:

Merged.

16 minutes ago, 700Level4Life said:

Yours is the main one, I merged the other one here and updated the title. 

On 1/20/2022 at 3:57 PM, EagleVA said:

This is what I saw, most competitions to Smith were bang/bang receptions, ball caught/Smith tackled without any significant RAC.

The bang/bang plays were due to minimal separation, #1 receivers get separation that leads to RAC.

A perfect example of this is recently, when Smith was wide open for a TD and was noodle armed a pass that a safety still in the locker room managed to come pick off.

On 1/20/2022 at 11:16 AM, 700Level4Life said:

Too 32? Yes. He's the Eagles number 1 reciever. Certain teams, he'd be the number one for sure. Not every team. But there teams out there that he would be an improvement. 

He's a great player, it's going to be fun watching him grow. 

Maybe Smith and Hurts will grow but to be honest, there are many #2 and several #3 receivers I'd take over Smith based on what I saw from him last year.   

On 1/20/2022 at 11:20 AM, downundermike said:

I do not think he cracks the top 32.  There is teams with two, some with 3 WR's right now that are better than him.

Bengals, Chase and Higgins, Vikings, Thielen and Jefferson, Rams, Kupp and Beckham, Seattle, Lockett and DK, TB, Godwin and Evans.  So 5 teams and we already have 10 WR's.  He may be top 32 next year, but he is not right now.

People keep pretending like Jaylen Waddle doesn't exist for some reason. He put up a pretty damn good season as well. 

I think Smith is great...but not so great that he doesn't need to be next to a similarly great playmaker on the other side.  There are some WRs that are so exceptional that you just run the whole offense through them.  That's not going to be Smith.  He is silky smooth and does a great job getting open...but he shouldn't be the take the top off guy, nor should he be the guy that you force the ball to underneath to YAC out big plays.  Neither of those are his game.

TO, Julio, Ty Hill...those guys are all of those things wrapped into one.  It's not fair to demand that from Smith, but it's also unwise to say..."Smith is a stud, we are done at WR, let's move on," nor is it wise to say, "Smith is a stud, just get him some sluggish possession WR to play next to and we are good to go."

He was next to playmakers in Alabama and he should be next to them here.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I think Smith is great...but not so great that he doesn't need to be next to a similarly great playmaker on the other side.  There are some WRs that are so exceptional that you just run the whole offense through them.  That's not going to be Smith.  He is silky smooth and does a great job getting open...but he shouldn't be the take the top off guy, nor should he be the guy that you force the ball to underneath to YAC out big plays.  Neither of those are his game.

TO, Julio, Ty Hill...those guys are all of those things wrapped into one.  It's not fair to demand that from Smith, but it's also unwise to say..."Smith is a stud, we are done at WR, let's move on," nor is it wise to say, "Smith is a stud, just get him some sluggish possession WR to play next to and we are good to go."

Antonio Brown wasn't built like TO or Julio. Neither is Tyreek. Tyreek makes things happen exclusively because of his speed. AB was a slighter build route-running technician like Smith. I think AB is a more apt comparison. And AB did do it all and the entire Steelers offense went through him. I think Devonta Smith can be like AB.

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

He had less touchdowns and not many more yards than Jordan Matthews did with an extra game.... Just saying. Great potential, but nothing wild yet. QB has a bit to do with it I hope 

• Like 2

Smith is going to be a solid player for us. The question is whether we can get another WR to compliment him. If we could have another Jackson/Maclin combo and both players remain healthy, we'd be set. Maybe Watkins can be that guy, but he didn't do much all season. Maybe they'll use a top pick on WR and the others will focus on defense.

As advertised. Great hands. Great route runner. Very good catching the ball in traffic. He desperately needs a quarterback.

• Like 2