C.J. Stroud (Ohio State QB) -- DRAFTED BY HOUSTON #2

D-Shiznit

1235194467.0.jpg

image.png.e628795f94c4464588908587617b8b18.png

Ht: 6' 3"
Wt: 215 lbs

40: 4.74
DOB: 10/3/2001

A mature, highly intelligent, pocket-passer who makes smart decisions, does a phenomenal job of reading through his progressions and understands when to add zip or touch.

Stroud’s linear growth as the 2021 season progressed was special (as is his arm talent). Stroud can layer passes over coverage defenders all the same as he can laser balls into tight windows.

What separates Stroud from the rest is his prototypical size mixed with his intangibles and ever-improving accuracy. Stroud stepped up his game in the 2022 Rose Bowl, setting bowl records for passing yards in a performance for the ages.

Stroud has a solid frame and will have no problem packing on good weight and filling out when he gets to college. He has one of the strongest arms in the country, a smooth, tight release and shows the athleticism to make plays outside the pocket. He throws the deep ball with touch and accuracy, plays with poise and calmness in the pocket and is only scratching the surface of how good he can be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would much rather make a run at Stroud than any of the QBs in this year's class.  I'm sure there are going to be a bunch of teams targeting him - 5 teams have multiple 1st rd picks stockpiled in 2023 (Detroit, Houston, Miami, and Seattle in addition to us).  All 4 of those other teams have a legit need at QB - 2022 will determine whether or not we will be as well (likely a safe assumption we will too but we shall see).  

• Like 2

I want Stroud. I'm planting my flag to him. He's the one I want us to go and get next year. I doubt we will get him but that's the one I want. 

• Like 1

No thanks. In the biggest Ohio State Games he crumbled. Give me Bryce Young, he is that guy

• Sad 1

He is a baller, but we had the best WR room in college football last year.

Early on he had some misses I thought he should have hit. Specifically some of the deep balls he over threw. This year I’d like to see an improvement on the deep ball. Want to see him hit it with consistency. Good prospect, but I’m not as sold on him as I was Fields…yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jenkins27 said:

Early on he had some misses I thought he should have hit. Specifically some of the deep balls he over threw. This year I’d like to see an improvement on the deep ball. Want to see him hit it with consistency. Good prospect, but I’m not as sold on him as I was Fields…yet.

Agreed with your Fields comment

On 4/5/2022 at 2:25 PM, philafan4o8 said:

No thanks. In the biggest Ohio State Games he crumbled. Give me Bryce Young, he is that guy

Personally I think either would be a better gamble next year than any of the QBs in this year’s class.  And the beauty of it is, we have another full season to see how much improvement they make in their game before a decision needs to be made.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Personally I think either would be a better gamble next year than any of the QBs in this year’s class.  And the beauty of it is, we have another full season to see how much improvement they make in their game before a decision needs to be made.  

OSU and Bama don't seem to churn out QBs that translate well to the NFL, though the trials of Fields and Jones have just start so we won't know for a while if that trend continues. 

They've both produced in just 1 season, and surrounded by superb talent at WR, RB, and OL, so hard to judge how they'd translate.  Yet, that was also Burrow's situation and so far he's produced.  Yes, having another full season to watch how/if they progress would be very helpful to projecting their NFL potential.  Though, I'm not a fan of Young at all.  Stroud could win me over.  And there are other QBs to keep an eye on this coming season:  Levis, Van Dyke, McCall, Hooker, McKee, Richardson, and at least a few others who could make that jump.  Would be nice if there were at least a few really good choices who step up in 2022 as we will be competing to draft a QB.  As you said, there are other teams with two 1st Round picks like us.  I'm hoping Mills plays well for HOU this season so they will stick with him and be out of the QB market.  Also hope Tua does well enough in MIA that they bow out of the QB market.  That was 1 of the reasons they jettisoned their HC, because he didn't want Tua and the FO did, so I think they will give him every opportunity.  So that would leave DET and SEA.  DET might be picking high enough again that they are in position to draft any QB they want.  As for SEA it would depend who ends up with overall better 1st Round picks (they have theirs [probably top 10] and DEN [possible playoff team] and we have ours [could make the playoffs] and NO [could be top 10 or could make playoffs]) and is willing to sweeten the pot more.  This is where having NO's 2024 2nd Rounder could come in handy either used by itself as part of a trade package or to soften the blow if we need to sacrifice our own 2024 1st since we'll still have a pair of 2nd Rounders and NO's could be high 2nd in 2024.  Hopefully SEA drafts a QB this year and takes themselves out of the 2023 hunt.

ATL, if they don't draft a QB this year, would be another team in the hunt.  CAR and the Wankers are probably drafting QB this year if any of the mocks are to be believed.  The only other team I could see possibly being in the 2023 QB market would be NYG.  They have an opportunity to grab one this draft.  Would be a nightmare if they trade back and become another team with two 1st Rounders in 2023 while passing on draft a QB this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Green_Guinness said:

OSU and Bama don't seem to churn out QBs that translate well to the NFL, though the trials of Fields and Jones have just start so we won't know for a while if that trend continues. 

They've both produced in just 1 season, and surrounded by superb talent at WR, RB, and OL, so hard to judge how they'd translate.  Yet, that was also Burrow's situation and so far he's produced.  Yes, having another full season to watch how/if they progress would be very helpful to projecting their NFL potential.  Though, I'm not a fan of Young at all.  Stroud could win me over.  And there are other QBs to keep an eye on this coming season:  Levis, Van Dyke, McCall, Hooker, McKee, Richardson, and at least a few others who could make that jump.  Would be nice if there were at least a few really good choices who step up in 2022 as we will be competing to draft a QB.  As you said, there are other teams with two 1st Round picks like us.  I'm hoping Mills plays well for HOU this season so they will stick with him and be out of the QB market.  Also hope Tua does well enough in MIA that they bow out of the QB market.  That was 1 of the reasons they jettisoned their HC, because he didn't want Tua and the FO did, so I think they will give him every opportunity.  So that would leave DET and SEA.  DET might be picking high enough again that they are in position to draft any QB they want.  As for SEA it would depend who ends up with overall better 1st Round picks (they have theirs [probably top 10] and DEN [possible playoff team] and we have ours [could make the playoffs] and NO [could be top 10 or could make playoffs]) and is willing to sweeten the pot more.  This is where having NO's 2024 2nd Rounder could come in handy either used by itself as part of a trade package or to soften the blow if we need to sacrifice our own 2024 1st since we'll still have a pair of 2nd Rounders and NO's could be high 2nd in 2024.  Hopefully SEA drafts a QB this year and takes themselves out of the 2023 hunt.

ATL, if they don't draft a QB this year, would be another team in the hunt.  CAR and the Wankers are probably drafting QB this year if any of the mocks are to be believed.  The only other team I could see possibly being in the 2023 QB market would be NYG.  They have an opportunity to grab one this draft.  Would be a nightmare if they trade back and become another team with two 1st Rounders in 2023 while passing on draft a QB this year.

I will say that looking at history from school is a bad way to project. It should be on a case by case basis. Burrow and Herbert are prime examples

8 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I will say that looking at history from school is a bad way to project. It should be on a case by case basis. Burrow and Herbert are prime examples

Which is why I mentioned Fields and Jones.  There are trends, but that doesn't mean a trend can't be broken.  We have to wait and see how Fields can do with a HC who isn't Nagy and some decent weapons around him and if Jones will continue to be more of a game manager in NE or if he'll take that next step.

Let's see how Stroud does in 2022.  He's losing some really good WRs and does OSU have more waiting in the wings to take their place?  Howell lost all his weapons and didn't look to be near the same QB as the season before, though schools like OSU and Bama seem to have a constant pipeline of talent and rarely miss a beat.  Little harder for UNC to do that.

I'm keeping my eyes on most of the other QBs I mentioned.  And I forgot to include Jurkovec.  Hoping at least a few of them set themselves apart from the pack as it would be nice to have choices instead of a few or more teams chasing after just 1 QB next draft.

49 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Which is why I mentioned Fields and Jones.  There are trends, but that doesn't mean a trend can't be broken.  We have to wait and see how Fields can do with a HC who isn't Nagy and some decent weapons around him and if Jones will continue to be more of a game manager in NE or if he'll take that next step.

Let's see how Stroud does in 2022.  He's losing some really good WRs and does OSU have more waiting in the wings to take their place?  Howell lost all his weapons and didn't look to be near the same QB as the season before, though schools like OSU and Bama seem to have a constant pipeline of talent and rarely miss a beat.  Little harder for UNC to do that.

I'm keeping my eyes on most of the other QBs I mentioned.  And I forgot to include Jurkovec.  Hoping at least a few of them set themselves apart from the pack as it would be nice to have choices instead of a few or more teams chasing after just 1 QB next draft.

Fair enough but I would say their best WR will be back at OSU. Smith-Njiba will be top 5 pick next year imo. More complete than both Wilson and Olave. From what I am hearing Marvin Harrison Jr is legit and I’m sure my guy Kyion Grayes will be that slot WR. Definitely get what you saying. I will give Strout a fair shot but he needs to show up in big games

• 3 weeks later...

We have the O-Line, WRs, TE, and spare parts in place. Just need a 1st class pilot.

Who better than Stroud who has already excelled at piloting a high powered and stacked offense.

Howie, you will have 6 picks in the first 2 rounds to offer in consecutive years, get it done.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Howie, you will have 6 picks in the first 2 rounds to offer in consecutive years, get it done.

Does he? Oh yeah sorry he does. 2 firsts and a second next year, 1 first and 2 seconds the year after. 

• Like 1

Might be a smart idea to let the season get to the mid point of the college season before wanting a player. So many things can happen in a year. You see it every year that a QB is best in the biz at the beginning of the year only to be 4th or 5th best at the end of the season. Not to even mention other possibilities like he gets in trouble with the law, death, career ending injury, has a mental breakdown and quits football. 

Just saying might want to slow your role for a bit, lol. Post this in about 6 to 8 months

On 4/5/2022 at 6:39 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I want Stroud. I'm planting my flag to him. He's the one I want us to go and get next year. I doubt we will get him but that's the one I want. 

There is room to be hopeful. Besides the picks we have, we can hope ATL, CAR, and WAS fall in love with Ridder, Corall, and Howell.

That would eliminate a lot of competition in the QB sweepstakes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

There is room to be hopeful. Besides the picks we have, we can hope ATL, CAR, and WAS fall in love with Ridder, Corall, and Howell.

That would eliminate a lot of competition in the QB sweepstakes.

I mean it feels a long shot there but sure yeah that would be really ideal. 

On 4/11/2022 at 8:21 AM, Green_Guinness said:

This 100% 
 LSU and Joe Burrow get mentioned quite a bit, so does everyone forget what Culpepper looked like in the NFL with Carter and Moss?  That’s what Chase and Jefferson were, Burrow was a 5th round pick at best until his final season at LSU and Joe Brady worked his magic.  Does Kenny Pickett put up 60 Tds in the ACC with Jefferson and Chase?  Despite the Bengals O- Line issues, Burrow is already a good NFL QB.  
 Stroud can’t control how Fields plays this season, but it will reflect on him, same for Mac Jones but to a lesser extent, he has a good O-Line, and Jones wasn’t put in a position to fail like Fields was. 

If Pickett is successful in the NFL, that extra season he and Burrow had in college will be seen as a positive for QB’s going forward.  

Mississippi State have a kid Will Rogers who just broke Dak's single season records in his first season as full time starter, he's one to keep an eye on, Haener at Fresno State has a great arm and can make all the throws and would've been in the conversation this year if he'd decided to come out, If Hendon Hooker has another year like last he'll climb boards.

It should be a decent field next year, and if we need to get one then the FO has to do whatever it takes, not **** about what it costs.

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Mississippi State have a kid Will Rogers who just broke Dak's single season records in his first season as full time starter, he's one to keep an eye on, Haener at Fresno State has a great arm and can make all the throws and would've been in the conversation this year if he'd decided to come out, If Hendon Hooker has another year like last he'll climb boards.

It should be a decent field next year, and if we need to get one then the FO has to do whatever it takes, not **** about what it costs.

Also gonna watch McCall from Coastal Carolina 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2022 at 11:25 AM, Jenkins27 said:

Fields was pretty visibly not an NFL QB...not sure what you mean by not as sold on him yet.  We talking about at the college level?

On 7/10/2022 at 2:11 PM, Wentz_Era said:

Fields was pretty visibly not an NFL QB...not sure what you mean by not as sold on him yet.  We talking about at the college level?

Based off college, he was a top NFL prospect. What were you watching?

8 hours ago, Jenkins27 said:

Based off college, he was a top NFL prospect. What were you watching?

Fields?

On 5/4/2022 at 12:42 PM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Already hearing some draft pundits calling next year's QB class a potentially historical class.  Extremely smart move by Howie to make that deal with NO to acquire a 2023 1st

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Already hearing some draft pundits calling next year's QB class a potentially historical class.  Extremely smart move by Howie to make that deal with NO to acquire a 2023 1st

It worked out great for us when there was the historical WR draft a few years ago. 

14 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

It worked out great for us when there was the historical WR draft a few years ago. 

Yeah, same for the historical DL class.  I'm just saying, better to be in position to make a move for a QB if Hurts doesn't prove to be the long term solution.  And better to be in that position in a good QB class compared to a weak one like this year's was.