Jump to content
Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Never barbecued venison.  Such a lean meat.  How do you add fat and keep it from drying out with a slow low heat smoking?  What part of the buc do you barbecue?  

My Sister in Law works at a country estate, so Deer are treated as a pest and we can get as much venison and pheasant as we'd like.  We have BBQd venison loin and fillet over the past couple of years with some success - the hard part has been trying to get the temps right and keeping everyone happy with the sear, etc. I haven't got around to playing around with Venison in the smoker yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BigEFly said:

A TE that can run routes and catch besides Goedert. Jackson hasn’t proved he can and won’t be available early. Stoll is a mediocre route runner with 50/50 hands. 

But there were so many better options and guys we were trying to dump for a day 3 pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Let's say AJ Brown and Treylon Burks put up similar numbers.  Is the trade a success?  

Would say it depends on how thier qbs play, but probably not in that case

the schemes are similar enough. Neither is likely to be a high volume guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RLC said:

The Rams have the lightest practices in the NFL and won the Super Bowl last year.

The Rams were a veteran team with an established system, Sirianni is a guy trying to build a culture and trying to teach young kids what it is like in the NFL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

My Sister in Law works at a country estate, so Deer are treated as a pest and we can get as much venison and pheasant as we'd like.  We have BBQd venison loin and fillet over the past couple of years with some success - the hard part has been trying to get the temps right and keeping everyone happy with the sear, etc. I haven't got around to playing around with Venison in the smoker yet.

Sounds like you need sous vide! 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

But there were so many better options and guys we were trying to dump for a day 3 pick

Given the question marks around him, especially considering the concussions that forced him out of football... you do have to wonder what was so alluring about him there versus just waiting to see if he'd fall to UDFA status.  

At the same time, some of the guys that got as UDFAs in place of him were guys that I would have drafted over him.  Is that a win-win situation?  Not sure.

8 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Sounds like you need sous vide! 

😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The guy in France said:

Submitted for your consideration, noticed him when watching Woods highlights, only 6’2”, great at shoulder throws. I’m out on Jurkovec and Van Dyke, a lot of hang time on those balls

 

I’m a fan of Armstrong, nice arm. Think he has a shot in NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Casey @ Bat said:

I’m a fan of Armstrong, nice arm. Think he has a shot in NFL.

He's a left handed Bernie Kosar clone. (said with no evidence to support that assertion)

He'll make the playoffs, but he's not getting past the Steelers. (Did Kosar and the Browns ever make it past the Steelers? Dunno. Who cares?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CouchKing said:

He's a left handed Bernie Kosar clone. (said with no evidence to support that assertion)

He'll make the playoffs, but he's not getting past the Steelers.

More like a left handed Philip Rivers, watch a bunch of his throws, he has an odd throwing motion/hitch.   No one wanted to fix Rivers because he threw like that since he was 4 years old, I’m not sure that’ll happen with Armstrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

He's a left handed Bernie Kosar clone. (said with no evidence to support that assertion)

He'll make the playoffs, but he's not getting past the Steelers. (Did Kosar and the Browns ever make it past the Steelers? Dunno. Who cares?)

The Browns' issue was the Broncos and Elway, not the Steelers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking Stroud and Young out of the equation for the moment, It will be interesting to see what kind of QB Howie targets in 2023.

Does he target a QB that is more polished and pro-ready, but who comes with a lower ceiling: Phil Jurkovec & Will Levis

Or does he swing for the fences for a QB that will need another year or two of development, but comes with elite QB ceiling: Anthony Richardson & Tyler Van Dyke.

I think history would show that the Eagles prefer the high ceiling QB: Wentz and reportedly Zach Wilson, but will they have the patience to wait for the QB to develop considering the rest of the offensive roster is ready to go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2023 draft isn't for 11 months, so much can happen (half the 1st rd picks will be players no one is talking about right now) that it's silly to speculate.

Remember all the talk about QBs going in the 1st rd this year? Exactly one, in the middle of the 1st rd, then #74, #86, #94. Zappe went ahead of Howell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Taking Stroud and Young out of the equation for the moment, It will be interesting to see what kind of QB Howie targets in 2023.

Does he target a QB that is more polished and pro-ready, but who comes with a lower ceiling: Phil Jurkovec & Will Levis

Or does he swing for the fences for a QB that will need another year or two of development, but comes with elite QB ceiling: Anthony Richardson & Tyler Van Dyke.

I think history would show that the Eagles prefer the high ceiling QB: Wentz and reportedly Zach Wilson, but will they have the patience to wait for the QB to develop considering the rest of the offensive roster is ready to go?

Or they could do what Dallas did in 1989 - draft two QBs in the first round - Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, austinfan said:

The 2023 draft isn't for 11 months, so much can happen (half the 1st rd picks will be players no one is talking about right now) that it's silly to speculate.

Remember all the talk about QBs going in the 1st rd this year? Exactly one, in the middle of the 1st rd, then #74, #86, #94. Zappe went ahead of Howell.

Interesting how teams went back to freshman film to draft Stingley high.  But didn't care to go back 1 year on QBs like Howell and Strong.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Taking Stroud and Young out of the equation for the moment, It will be interesting to see what kind of QB Howie targets in 2023.

Does he target a QB that is more polished and pro-ready, but who comes with a lower ceiling: Phil Jurkovec & Will Levis

Or does he swing for the fences for a QB that will need another year or two of development, but comes with elite QB ceiling: Anthony Richardson & Tyler Van Dyke.

I think history would show that the Eagles prefer the high ceiling QB: Wentz and reportedly Zach Wilson, but will they have the patience to wait for the QB to develop considering the rest of the offensive roster is ready to go?

Going back to the Wentz v. Goff comparison, part of the appeal of Wentz was that he had played in a pro-style offense.  One of the comparisons was to Andrew Luck, which I think is fair in the sense that Wentz has the arm and aggressiveness of Luck. He just doesn't have the accuracy and decision making down.  I believe they preferred Wentz over Goff.  I think they would have taken Goff, though, if Wentz wasn't available.   

My sense is that if they are focused on getting a QB they will have 2 or 3 candidates. I don't think Levis is a low ceiling guy.  He's fairly mobile and has a good arm.  If I would have to guess now, he's probably going to be the Eagles' target and they make like him more than Stroud or Young. I think Richardson may be next depending on how his next season goes after a Stroud or Young.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They mention McCall from Coastal Carolina, watched some of his tape a while back, didn't come away overly impressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Interesting how teams went back to freshman film to draft Stingley high.  But didn't care to go back 1 year on QBs like Howell and Strong.

I am sure they did but just didn't think they were worth it now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Going back to the Wentz v. Goff comparison, part of the appeal of Wentz was that he had played in a pro-style offense.  One of the comparisons was to Andrew Luck, which I think is fair in the sense that Wentz has the arm and aggressiveness of Luck. He just doesn't have the accuracy and decision making down.  I believe they preferred Wentz over Goff.  I think they would have taken Goff, though, if Wentz wasn't available.   

My sense is that if they are focused on getting a QB they will have 2 or 3 candidates. I don't think Levis is a low ceiling guy.  He's fairly mobile and has a good arm.  If I would have to guess now, he's probably going to be the Eagles' target and they make like him more than Stroud or Young. I think Richardson may be next depending on how his next season goes after a Stroud or Young.  

I don't mean that Levis has a Mac Jones type of low ceiling, but no one is going to confuse him for Josh Allen either. He's older than anyone in the class and has still yet to display a high end deep passing game dimension in his play.

He's very much a timing, RPO, and short passing QB so far. It will be interesting to see is Kentucky let's him use his arm, that is pretty good enough, to its fullest extent this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Taking Stroud and Young out of the equation for the moment, It will be interesting to see what kind of QB Howie targets in 2023.

Does he target a QB that is more polished and pro-ready, but who comes with a lower ceiling: Phil Jurkovec & Will Levis

Or does he swing for the fences for a QB that will need another year or two of development, but comes with elite QB ceiling: Anthony Richardson & Tyler Van Dyke.

I think history would show that the Eagles prefer the high ceiling QB: Wentz and reportedly Zach Wilson, but will they have the patience to wait for the QB to develop considering the rest of the offensive roster is ready to go?

Yes please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

They mention McCall from Coastal Carolina, watched some of his tape a while back, didn't come away overly impressed.

 He’s not loaded with arm talent but his AY/A of 13.6 has to be near the top in FBS football and he’s mobile.   Rick Mueller is an executive with Coastal he’s a former FO guy with the Eagles from 2012-2016.  
 He did have throwing shoulder surgery in January which doesn’t help a QB with arm strength, unless he takes the same vitamins Drew Brees did. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Taking Stroud and Young out of the equation for the moment, It will be interesting to see what kind of QB Howie targets in 2023.

Does he target a QB that is more polished and pro-ready, but who comes with a lower ceiling: Phil Jurkovec & Will Levis

Or does he swing for the fences for a QB that will need another year or two of development, but comes with elite QB ceiling: Anthony Richardson & Tyler Van Dyke.

I think history would show that the Eagles prefer the high ceiling QB: Wentz and reportedly Zach Wilson, but will they have the patience to wait for the QB to develop considering the rest of the offensive roster is ready to go?

I'm not interested in Young or Stroud. My top 3 I'm interested in, and will be watching as much as possible next season are Richardson, VanDyke and Jurkovec.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I'm not interested in Young or Stroud. My top 3 I'm interested in, and will be watching as much as possible next season are Richardson, VanDyke and Jurkovec.

Richardson has 66 college throws and 58 rushing attempts.  I'm not interested in any college QB who doesn't read the field and distribute the football.

Anything over a 20% running ratio in college is an automatic "no" for me.  That's no on Richardson, Levis, McCall, Hooker, Rattler.  Haener and Hartman are too small.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Freshmilk said:

It would mean Hurts played better than expected.

What if they both put up 400 yards and 2 TDs?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

I don't mean that Levis has a Mac Jones type of low ceiling, but no one is going to confuse him for Josh Allen either. He's older than anyone in the class and has still yet to display a high end deep passing game dimension in his play.

He's very much a timing, RPO, and short passing QB so far. It will be interesting to see is Kentucky let's him use his arm, that is pretty good enough, to its fullest extent this year.

Levis has plenty of arm.  He doesn't have an extended throwing motion. He will be about the same age Burrow was entering the draft. He average 7.7 air yards per attempt last season.  That is just under what Burrow averaged in his last season at LSU.  He's a much better athlete than Burrow was.  I am just not sure why he would not be a high ceiling player at QB.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...