Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Just now, eagle45 said:

To summarize the 2021 team: they reliably beat horrible teams and failed to compete or have a chance against good teams.   The general goal for 2022 is to demonstrate an ability to pack a punch in a higher weight class.  

They were competitive against the 49ers, Chiefs, and Chargers. You could even argue the Bucs game.

The only real non-competive games were Dallas and the Raiders.

1 hour ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

It’ll be interesting to see who ultimately emerges as the #1 WR between Brown and Smith. 

Ultimately, I think it will and should be Smith. I see Brown as a lesser version of TO and Smith as a better version of Maclin. Just using former Eagles as comparison. 

As crazy as it sounds, both could be #1 options.  I think Brown is already there and Smith is on his way.  

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

As crazy as it sounds, both could be #1 options.  I think Brown is already there and Smith is on his way.  

We'd need a better passing QB for that to happen

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

We also faced bad qbs in the joint practices, so your point about the joint practices seems incorrect.

Also, Hurts wasn't great against our own defense, and we can all agree that as a passer he wasn't great. 

So I am struggling to see how your argument that joint practices are meaningless when they seemed to give us a pretty good idea of how our season would go last year. 

Well lets see

1- In joint practice you dont run your scheme, your just picking vanilla plays to make your team look better

2- Joint practices you don;t go 100%

3- Joint practices you dont't tackle

4- Joint practices you can;t sack the QB

5- Joint practices your not running the ball

Should I keep going? Fact is Eagles "won" these joint practices yet had to 180 their entire scheme mid season on offense, the defense gave up NFL record QB completion percentages last year. Did we see that in these joint practices? No, it was vanilla which in turn means the joint practices did not show us anything. 

6 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I looked at that real quick and thought it said Hurts wants a trade. 

It's wishful thinking

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

So do we just call the Nasty Nate award at this point? Hard to see anyone overtaking Strong at this point.

Outside of the running gag in here, I think most sane people always viewed 2022 as a developmental year for Carson Strong.  He’s a UDFA with serious medical questions about the health of his knee.  He was never going to be #1 or #2 this season.  Best case scenario would be a candidate for #2 in 2023.

That Olympic hopeful hurdler was destined for my vote for the award 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

So do we just call the Nasty Nate award at this point? Hard to see anyone overtaking Strong at this point.

Nasty Nate isn’t just about a pet cat who doesn’t make the 53, it’s about a dude who seems to be killing it in TC and people get irrational about him.

Carson has looked good at times, looked UDFA at times. he’s not having some transcendent Ilaoa TC. Let’s see how the preseason games go

2 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Well lets see

1- In joint practice you dont run your scheme, your just picking vanilla plays to make your team look better

Should I keep going? Fact is Eagles "won" these joint practices yet had to 180 their entire scheme mid season on offense, the defense gave up NFL record QB completion percentages last year. Did we see that in these joint practices? No, it was vanilla which in turn means the joint practices did not show us anything. 

As far as vanilla plays, i am a little lost on that. I get in a preseason game you run a vanilla offense, but that refers to gameplanning. But the plays are the plays. We aren't practicing plays that aren't in the playbook, right? 

Plus, the coaches want joint practices. They see them as valuable, which is why they have them. You may not see the value, but you aren't a coach.

Ultimately, we were a 4 win team going into last season who impressed in joint practices and went on to make the playoffs by beating bad teams. Exactly what we should have expected. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Contending hyperbole with hyperbole. That was a twist I wasn’t expecting, well played

What part of that statement was hyperbole?  I’d love to know.  It was pretty much down the middle.  

4 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

As far as vanilla plays, i am a little lost on that. I get in a preseason game you run a vanilla offense, but that refers to gameplanning. But the plays are the plays. We aren't practicing plays that aren't in the playbook, right? 

Plus, the coaches want joint practices. They see them as valuable, which is why they have them. You may not see the value, but you aren't a coach.

Ultimately, we were a 4 win team going into last season who impressed in joint practices and went on to make the playoffs by beating bad teams. Exactly what we should have expected. 

"Impressed in joint practices”.  😂

2 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Nasty Nate isn’t just about a pet cat who doesn’t make the 53, it’s about a dude who seems to be killing it in TC and people get irrational about him.

Carson has looked good at times, looked UDFA at times. he’s not having some transcendent Ilaoa TC. Let’s see how the preseason games go

Can’t expect much when you’re lucky to get 3-4 reps per practice.   Howell, Willis, Corral and Ridder, have all gotten time with the 1’s and 2’s.  I don’t think Minshew has even gotten reps with the 1’s yet.  Then again, those other teams usually practice for 2 hours per day, and have open practices to the public, since they aren’t working on the next, great, football play that’s never been seen before, like the Eagles are! 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Well lets see

1) If not at practice, when do they run their scheme?

2) Guys in roster battles and playing for a job are going 100%.

3) Yes, they tackle.

5) Yes, they run the ball.

One out of five isn't good.

• Haha 1

Also, as far as the 180 on offense, i am not convinced that necessarily helped us. In our first 7 games, the oponents scored an average of 25 points. In the next 9 games, they averaged 16. The narrative that our offense suddenly got better seems flawed to me. Yes, we ran the ball more, but the biggest reason we won games seems to be the fact that the other team wasn't scoring. 

37 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

To summarize the 2021 team: they reliably beat horrible teams and failed to compete or have a chance against good teams.   The general goal for 2022 is to demonstrate an ability to pack a punch in a higher weight class.  

Yup. They were slightly above average.

24 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

What part of that statement was hyperbole?  I’d love to know.  It was pretty much down the middle.  

"Impressed in joint practices”.  😂

When was the poster claiming making the playoffs was some "great” accomplishment? He may have been happy with it, but that’s a hyperbolic assessment of his stance

• Like 1

A lot of praise for White, who people say is also having a great camp, and some praise for Jobe, who some think could make the team.

Apparently Huntley had a good day yesterday. If he makes the team he should return punts or kicks if Covey doesn't make it.

48 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

We had no shot against the good teams, IMO, most due to our defense.

Other than AJ Brown, the focus of the offseason was to add talent on that side of the ball.  Look for our ability to compete improve as the defense does.

If this LB is real and the young CB come to play, then I really hope they try to find a safety via trade.  I'd be looking at a guy like Richard LeCounte with the Browns.  They have a lot of money tied in to safety and I think he's going to be a player.

I think we can all agree to laugh at this one.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, RLC said:

People are irrationally down on this team, acting like we're the Falcons.

Most of this blog flat out doesn't like the team and are rooting for them to lose just so they can be right about the QB.  

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

1.Most of this blog flat out doesn't like the team

2.and are rooting for them to lose

3.just so they can be right about the QB.  

1. False

2. Even more false

3. It is best case scenario if Hurts can become the long term answer at QB, but, some of us can be honest about him and his skills, and realize he is not a long term solution at QB in the NFL.

The problem for some of you, is you are I still use the EMB's #1 Cliche drinking fanboys incapable of being honest and talking about the flaws of the team and it’s players.

I'm sure joint practices are important for coaches to implement their scheme, their coaching, and for targeted evaluation.

Hearing someone from the media say that the Eagles "won joint practices" is meaningless.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

When was the poster claiming making the playoffs was some "great” accomplishment? He may have been happy with it, but that’s a hyperbolic assessment of his stance

So you haven’t heard people in the media or read posters in here celebrating the Eagles, NS and Hurts for making the playoffs last year?  Yeah, they act like it was a great accomplishment.  

45 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I think we can all agree to laugh at this one.

You snooze, you lose. Season over.