Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

8 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I never understood why people on here do it

Trying to play gotcha i presume. Or they are too gutless to say stuff normally. Or they think they are far more clever than they are. 

people are dumb and yet weird

8 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Watching those 11 v 11 scrimmages was discouraging, if not surprising.  The Eagles have made a big investment in Brown, Goedert, and Smith to have a guy playing QB whose attitude is "it’s my ball, and I’m keeping it until someone makes me give it to someone else”.  

If Hurts is set on running that often in the regular season it’s only a matter of time until one of his wheels gets wonky again.  Unfortunately he doesn’t possess the other skills necessary to compensate for compromised mobility if he plays injured, so the entire team will suffer.

It will be interesting to see how defenses game plan for the Eagles offense.  The thing about the wildcard game last January is — everyone watches the playoffs.  It will be surprising to me if every team doesn’t stack the box and dare Hurts to throw downfield.  

Zangaro said on one drive he ran the ball 4 times.  I've been saying it all along and to your point, they are totally wasting enormous financial and draft investment by having a QB who is going to tuck and run that much. 

I don't know the stats on that entire drive but let's say it was a 10 play drive and they want to be a 60/40 pass/run team.  That means on 80% of the plays, the ball is not getting in to the hands of one of Smith, Brown or Goedert.   That is not what you want.

Watching those 11 v 11 scrimmages was discouraging, if not surprising.  The Eagles have made a big investment in Brown, Goedert, and Smith to have a guy playing QB whose attitude is "it’s my ball, and I’m keeping it until someone makes me give it to someone else”.  

If Hurts is set on running that often in the regular season it’s only a matter of time until one of his wheels gets wonky again.  Unfortunately he doesn’t possess the other skills necessary to compensate for compromised mobility if he plays injured, so the entire team will suffer.

It will be interesting to see how defenses game plan for the Eagles offense.  The thing about the wildcard game last January is — everyone watches the playoffs.  It will be surprising to me if every team doesn’t stack the box and dare Hurts to throw downfield.  

As anti-Hurts/running offense/running QB as I am...and as little trust as I have in the FO brain trust...I do think they aren't happy with this.  

I suspect they are just being patient.  Hurts for free (that reach of a second round pick is a sunk cost) on a rookie deal is a better decision (even if not better on the field) than over-investing in another QB that still isn't good enough, be it a veteran trade or a forced first round pick.  

If they don't get it right, then it's just going to be a longer, more futile ride than sticking with Hurts for now.

So I think they are just putting dense makeup on this situation until they see the right opportunity to make a move...but they won't (and shouldn't) force it.

All of this, however, is why I just wouldn't be at the point of making veteran investments and trades.  I wouldn't have traded for Brown.  I'd have kept the picks or even rolled them back.  There's NO WAY we get 2 first round picks and $100m of production out of the WR position this year, or any year, with Hurts under center.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Godfather said:

Interesting article from section215, apparently the Eagles reached out to the Raiders about a potential Josh Jacobs trade. Not sure how serious or true this is

Love Josh Jacobs, but like Sanders, he can't stay healthy.

For the cap math to work, it would need to be a Sanders for Reagor trade (or just trade Reagor in a separate deal).

If I recall, the Raiders declined the 5th year option on Jacobs, and he's not happy about that.  So it's a Howie move to kick the tyres on him, but presumably Sanders would need to go too with Gainwell on the roster and the money they guaranteed for Scott.

Poor old Cam Jurgens.  It's not a fair fight one on one with Davis, but that it is the sort of thing I wanted to draft Davis for.  But Davis hasn't done it yet

And I did realise the other day.... This will be the 3rd year in a row that the Eagles have had the same WR coach.  A goal that seemed unlikely just a few years ago

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

Love Josh Jacobs, but like Sanders, he can't stay healthy.

For the cap math to work, it would need to be a Sanders for Reagor trade (or just trade Reagor in a separate deal).

Agreed. Maybe something happens at the deadline. Another Ajayi like trade? I'm sure this talk will be all based on Sanders performance/ health

Based on the tape from last night, that's what the defense did. I saw a lot of 5-man fronts with an extra player in the box. The deep ball to AJ Brown was against single-high coverage and the lone safety couldn't get there in time. 

Brown and Goedert also had catches over the middle that would have gone for decent gains of 20+ yards against stacked boxes.

I do think it's funny that you think the defense isn't showing Hurts the same kind of looks he is going to face all year long. How cute. 

1 hour ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I don’t really understand why they would make that kind of trade. But it could just be them doing their due diligence 

I do remember there being a lot of draft buzz with him going to Philly. Maybe the Eagles aren't happy with Sanders not being able to stay healthy and not being a north and south runner

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

Based on the tape from last night, that's what the defense did. I saw a lot of 5-man fronts with an extra player in the box. The deep ball to AJ Brown was against single-high coverage and the lone safety couldn't get there in time. 

Brown and Goedert also had catches over the middle that would have gone for decent gains of 20+ yards against stacked boxes.

I do think it's funny that you think the defense isn't showing Hurts the same kind of looks he is going to face all year long. How cute. 

What's cute is you can't comprehend they can't hit Jalen's or even put a finger on him now so him running during the 11v11s and 7v7s is pretty embarrassing. He doesn't want to develop into a passer. It's like he is out to prove the way that has failed over and over again will succeed....it won't. He will end up hurt this year and watching that practice confirms to me he refuses to change. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shalodeep said:

What's cute is you can't comprehend they can't hit Jalen's or even put a finger on him now so him running during the 11v11s and 7v7s is pretty embarrassing. He doesn't want to develop into a passer. It's like he is out to prove the way that has failed over and over again will succeed....it won't. He will end up hurt this year and watching that practice confirms to me he refuses to change. 

I think it's high time we started the countdown to Reid Sinnett clock. Only a matter of time now....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I think it's high time we started the countdown to Reid Sinnett clock. Only a matter of time now....

Definitely time to start looking at the draft prospects 

Curious that Tartt was relegated to third team Saturday and then missed Sunday’s practice with personal reasons.

12 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

As far as running during 7 v 7s, that is overblown. They tape all of those reps and go over them. If Hurts is missing open guys, it will show it. If he is correct not to throw it, it will show it. But there is no difference between throwing a ball away, which other qbs do, or "running it." Hurts is simply showing he didn't see anyone open in the time allowed. 

As far as running in 11 v 11s, the ones from last night I saw were on read option plays, and he has to practice reading the defense in those situations.

Lastly, why should you care if he gets injured. You seem to think any qb on the roster is an upgrade.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

As far as running during 7 v 7s, that is overblown. They tape all of those reps and go over them. If Hurts is missing open guys, it will show it. If he is correct not to throw it, it will show it. But there is no difference between throwing a ball away, which other qbs do, or "running it." Hurts is simply showing he didn't see anyone open in the time allowed. 

As far as running in 11 v 11s, the ones from last night I saw were on read option plays, and he has to practice reading the defense in those situations.

Lastly, why should you care if he gets injured. You seem to think any qb on the roster is an upgrade.

Wrong. And QBs who throw the ball away in these drills are wrong as well. This is practice, where results don't matter. Now is the time to try and force passes that you wouldn't try in the regular season. See if you can fire one in between two defenders. See if you can lead a WR with a high arcing deep ball that he can run under. Try something downfield, even if it results in an INT, who cares, it's practice. Running when the pocket breaks down, or throwing the ball out of bounds serves no purpose to anybody on either side of the ball. It's idiotic and should be punished by the coaches. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

He missed his best friend wide wide open after putting him in motion because he chose to run it. He isn't developing after all that talk from his fan base and all the coach talk from Nick. The young man is too arrogant to change his game and he put that on full display last night. What's sad there was a few throws where the whole fan base was like "oh, he may be getting it" ... And then he ran ...a lot. If you are okay with it, that's completely up to you. I support the eagles, not just Jalen. I look at the team and say "he will hold them back" and you look at the team and say "they are holding him back" 

24 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I don’t think he refuses to change, leaving the pocket early because of ghost pressure is a hard habit to break.  Even if he kept his eyes downfield, (he doesn’t) at 6’1”, he’d still have a difficult time finding open receivers. 

1 minute ago, The Blackfish said:

I don’t think he refuses to change, leaving the pocket early because of ghost pressure is a hard habit to break.  Even if he kept his eyes downfield, (he doesn’t) at 6’1”, he’d still have a difficult time finding open receivers. 

When asked about changing his throwing motion he scoffed and said nah, no changes. When asked about his habit of rolling right he said he was just running the plays that were called. He doesn't see a problem in his game and takes no responsibility for his habits. That to me is refusing to change 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

As far as running during 7 v 7s, that is overblown But there is no difference between throwing a ball away, which other qbs do, or "running it." Hurts is simply showing he didn't see anyone open in the time allowed. 

That's the problem, hurts showing he didn't see anyone open.

Just because he didn't see anyone open doesn't mean they weren't open, not to mention really good qbs throw guys open.

running in 7 on 7 or in a red jersey in a controlled practice doesn't show hurts is improving as a passer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Wrong. And QBs who throw the ball away in these drills are wrong as well. This is practice, where results don't matter.

You criticize his processing and decision making, and now you just want him to yolo his way through a drill. Very odd. 

3 minutes ago, Utebird said:

That's the problem, hurts showing he didn't see anyone open.

Just because he didn't see anyone open doesn't mean they weren't open, not to mention really good qbs throw guys open.

Again, the coaches can show him these things on film. 

12 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

That crouch he gets into pre-snap probably doesn't help his 6'1 frame much, either.  No way he can do much pre-snap recognition of the defense in that stance.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

You criticize his processing and decision making, and now you just want him to yolo his way through a drill. Very odd. 

Again, the coaches can show him these things on film. 

?

The mindset of these practices, and 7 v 7 drills specifically, should be to see exactly what throws he can and can't make. Even on negative plays, where he tries to force a pass into double coverage for instance, can be excellent teaching moments. He can learn what his arm will allow him to get away with against tight coverage. And, just as importantly, what he can't get away with. It also gives the defenders good teaching moments, for when other QBs attempt to make tight passes.

Rolling out of the pocket and then running downfield offers no teaching moments to anybody, on either side of the ball. Same as just throwing it OOB. 

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

The mindset of these practices, and 7 v 7 drills specifically, should be to see exactly what throws he can and can't make. Even on negative plays, where he tries to force a pass into double coverage for instance, can be excellent teaching moments.

Yup, the teaching moment is don't do that. 

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

As anti-Hurts/running offense/running QB as I am...and as little trust as I have in the FO brain trust...I do think they aren't happy with this.  

I suspect they are just being patient.  Hurts for free (that reach of a second round pick is a sunk cost) on a rookie deal is a better decision (even if not better on the field) than over-investing in another QB that still isn't good enough, be it a veteran trade or a forced first round pick.  

If they don't get it right, then it's just going to be a longer, more futile ride than sticking with Hurts for now.

So I think they are just putting dense makeup on this situation until they see the right opportunity to make a move...but they won't (and shouldn't) force it.

All of this, however, is why I just wouldn't be at the point of making veteran investments and trades.  I wouldn't have traded for Brown.  I'd have kept the picks or even rolled them back.  There's NO WAY we get 2 first round picks and $100m of production out of the WR position this year, or any year, with Hurts under center.

I'm not disagreeing, but what does 2 first round picks and $100m of production look like?

Just now, jsb235 said:

Yup, the teaching moment is don't do that. 

Got it, you're just being an obtuse jerkwad. Good luck. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

That crouch he gets into pre-snap probably doesn't help his 6'1 frame much, either.  No way he can do much pre-snap recognition of the defense in that stance.

I think you are reaching here.  Even in his crouch, he can see over linemen in a 3-point stance.

• Like 2