Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

16 minutes ago, Utebird said:

That's the problem, hurts showing he didn't see anyone open.

Just because he didn't see anyone open doesn't mean they weren't open, not to mention really good qbs throw guys open.

running in 7 on 7 or in a red jersey in a controlled practice doesn't show hurts is improving as a passer.

Controlled.  <===THIS

Even if Hurts doesn't, the coaches know what the coverage is.  They know where the ball should go.  These plays are not designed to end up as scrambles.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I think you are reaching here.  Even in his crouch, he can see over linemen in a 3-point stance.

Besides, with the OL splits and the lack of actual movement by the D presnap, it’s a total non-issue. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Curious that Tartt was relegated to third team Saturday and then missed Sunday’s practice with personal reasons.

That is interesting. $500K in dead money if they cut him. $0 in dead money if they trade him. 

6 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Controlled.  <===THIS

Even if Hurts doesn't, the coaches know what the coverage is.  They know where the ball should go.  These plays are not designed to end up as scrambles.  

The coaches will also know if the routes were open or not. They will look at the tape. They will give Hurts feedback. 

Him just throwing it to throw it would add nothing to that conversation.

48 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Based on the tape from last night, that's what the defense did. I saw a lot of 5-man fronts with an extra player in the box. The deep ball to AJ Brown was against single-high coverage and the lone safety couldn't get there in time. 

Brown and Goedert also had catches over the middle that would have gone for decent gains of 20+ yards against stacked boxes.

I do think it's funny that you think the defense isn't showing Hurts the same kind of looks he is going to face all year long. How cute. 

Our base defense appears to be a five-man front with Davis on the nose and two DTs in 4i. The strong-side DE will usually line up in a 3-point stance. Reddick is a stand-up DE/LB. Gannon ran this a lot last year but didn't have the personnel to run it effectively, especially after Cox said he didn't like the system (which put him on the nose). It was part of a system install. Now we have the DL personnel to run it effectively.

You want to have glitches at this point, both in offensive execution and defensive breakdowns. It gives the coaches teaching points. It also shows the coaches inadequacies in defensive personnel, both for individuals and for a system. If your slot corner can't handle a slant you might have him in inside leverage to take away that slant. Or, possibly, change the drop the LB on that side to undercut it. There's a lot of youth in our defense and coaching staff now and getting cohesion takes time. I know many will say, well, they need more reps. That may be true but if the defenders don't know what they did wrong, it takes film study to point it out. Repeating the same defense without adjustment is pointless. The reps come the next day after that film review and hopefully the coaches have identified problems, advanced solutions, and the players have applied them. It's an unending process. Just don't think that 90 minutes on the field is all that goes on.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

The coaches will also know if the routes were open or not. They will look at the tape. They will give Hurts feedback. 

Him just throwing it to throw it would add nothing to that conversation.

They have been doing that all offseason.  He needs to be putting that feedback into practice, not continuing to do the wrong thing had getting the same feedback.

Seems like you are happy to be back at square 1.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I'm not disagreeing, but what does 2 first round picks and $100m of production look like?

It looks like more than a combined 1800 yards and 10 TDs, which is probably what they’ll get…at best.

So, is Hurts actually hitting the top of his drop and releasing the ball or not?  From the Twitter posts (limited sample), it didn't look like it and he still doesn't throw from a good base.  I didn't see much difference, except that AJ makes him look better than he is (see TD pass).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Our base defense appears to be a five-man front with Davis on the nose and two DTs in 4i. The strong-side DE will usually line up in a 3-point stance. Reddick is a stand-up DE/LB. Gannon ran this a lot last year but didn't have the personnel to run it effectively, especially after Cox said he didn't like the system (which put him on the nose). It was part of a system install. Now we have the DL personnel to run it effectively.

You want to have glitches at this point, both in offensive execution and defensive breakdowns. It gives the coaches teaching points. It also shows the coaches inadequacies in defensive personnel, both for individuals and for a system. If your slot corner can't handle a slant you might have him in inside leverage to take away that slant. Or, possibly, change the drop the LB on that side to undercut it. There's a lot of youth in our defense and coaching staff now and getting cohesion takes time. I know many will say, well, they need more reps. That may be true but if the defenders don't know what they did wrong, it takes film study to point it out. Repeating the same defense without adjustment is pointless. The reps come the next day after that film review and hopefully the coaches have identified problems, advanced solutions, and the players have applied them. It's an unending process. Just don't think that 90 minutes on the field is all that goes on.

I personally have no idea what our base defense is…and I find it exciting if it can’t be painted with the typical 4-3 vs 3-4 brush.  

NFL defenses are pretty helpless these days.  The more they venture away from what everyone else is doing, the more fits it may cause high end offenses, even if only for the first few meetings.

7 minutes ago, justrelax said:

IMO, the key is that Gannon can deploy both even/odd fronts whenever he wants, out of any formation. You can't see Davis on the field and say "it's going to be a 3 down line". That flexibility will help on a week to week basis, as long as Gannon can attack defenses. If this is not a top 15 defense, Gannon should be fired at the end of the season. He has all the horses.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RLC said:

IMO, the key is that Gannon can deploy both even/odd fronts whenever he wants, out of any formation. You can't see Davis on the field and say "it's going to be a 3 down line". That flexibility will help on a week to week basis, as long as Gannon can attack defenses. If this is not a top 15 defense, Gannon should be fired at the end of the season. He has all the horses.

I agree. I think this defense is going to be special. I will be very disappointed with only a top-15 defense. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, justrelax said:

It will be interesting to see how we come out in the preseason game. Assuming the starters won't play, it bears watching how they use Dean and Taylor at off ball lb as opposed to the two Johnsons at the overhang position. 

Tuipulotu, Williams and Wilson mirror Davis, Cox and Hargrave, and Jackson is the Graham/Sweat DE. So we have the ideal personnel in place to run either a 4-2 or a 5-1.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

You criticize his processing and decision making, and now you just want him to yolo his way through a drill. Very odd. 

Again, the coaches can show him these things on film. 

Sure they can show him on film and if he goes out and keeps " not seeing guys open" and running then it doesn't matter much what they show him on film.

Last night was a show for the fans.  We can’t ignore that aspect.  Sure looked like a couple,of Hurts’ runs were RO to freeze the rush on the LT (also shows Dillard’s value at this,point because the LT performance was a bit lacking last night).  Eagles were down four Ts last night (Mailata, Dillard, Clark and Toth.) Guess that’s why they resigned Williams. I was encouraged to see Hurts throwing over the middle a few times.  

I believe some of the snaps in the 7 v 7 and 11 v 11 were defensive snaps to showcase for the fans some diverse looks.  

50 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

You criticize his processing and decision making, and now you just want him to yolo his way through a drill. Very odd. 

Again, the coaches can show him these things on film. 

Are you pretty sure they haven't? It's not a new problem.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

So, is Hurts actually hitting the top of his drop and releasing the ball or not?  From the Twitter posts (limited sample), it didn't look like it and he still doesn't throw from a good base.  I didn't see much difference, except that AJ makes him look better than he is (see TD pass).

I liked the first throw from the clips I saw; I think it was a corner route to Goedert (?) .... I didn't like much else.  The throws I saw to the middle looked strictly like checkdowns, and I don't think many were completed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

The reality of beating the bad teams to start off the season? That's what Hurts does. What he also does is get his ass kicked against good teams. How will the Koy be able the handle the reality of his ass being tossed out after another first round playoff loss?

Eagles are playing 2 teams that were in the playoffs last year and one that should be this year (Vikings) in those first 6 weeks. 

8 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

Then I guess him and Hurts have something in common. Time to move the RB to RB.

Hurts has looked like the best QB on the team. 

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Eagles are playing 2 teams that were in the playoffs last year and one that should be this year (Vikings) in those first 6 weeks. 

Wrong. Sinnett has looked better throwing the ball. 

8 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Tallest midget according to white sports writers not wanting to talk bad about him for racial reasons. 

Browns are missing their QB but you know that.

We're F'ed with Hurts and we all know it, just adjust your expectations now

The dude is scrambling in practice, jesus 🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Wrong. Sinnett has looked better throwing the ball. 

No one has reported that Sinnett looks better.  In fact BLG and Kempski clarified on their Saturday podcast that Sinnett hasn't looked best in camp at QB, just best relative to his expectations which coming into the camp were nothing and the 4th QB who wouldn't make the team. 

12 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

How will the blog be able to handle a reality of the Eagles heading into the bye week 5-1 or 6-0 with Hurts?

Let's see if they make it to 5-1 or 6-0 first, Okay? I think it more likely that Lucifer will have icicles in his beard first but let's all see.

9 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Tallest midget according to white sports writers not wanting to talk bad about him for racial reasons. 

Browns are missing their QB but you know that.

Another one here that has racial issues. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

No one has reported that Sinnett looks better.  In fact BLG and Kempski clarified on their Saturday podcast that Sinnett hasn't looked best in camp at QB, just best relative to his expectations which coming into the camp were nothing and the 4th QB who wouldn't make the team. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-training-camp-2022-how-qb-reid-sinnett-impressing-his-coaches

Brian Johnson said on Saturday. "He’s much more comfortable in what we’re doing. He’s done an excellent job just in terms of working on what we wanted to work on.”

"I just can’t say enough about how much he’s progressed in terms of footwork, timing, things of that nature,” Johnson said. "Once he got the reps, I think he’s starting to show. He’s done a nice job so far this camp.”

That's a helluva lot more than you can say for Hurts. 

3 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

We're F'ed with Hurts and we all know it, just adjust your expectations now

The dude is scrambling in practice, jesus 🤣

We're not F'ed.  We're just limited.

But the ceiling is still higher this season than last.  Regardless of the QB, replacing Reagor with Brown will have an impact.  The infusion of talent on defense will have an impact.  A second year of continuity across the coaching staff will have an impact.

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Another one here that has racial issues. 

Dude, admit it, we all have racial issues.

• Like 2