Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

I liked the first throw from the clips I saw; I think it was a corner route to Goedert (?) .... I didn't like much else.  The throws I saw to the middle looked strictly like checkdowns, and I don't think many were completed.

From what I have seen today, we really need to hope that the talent around him remains healthy and succeeds.  This OLine and skill group makes it easier for him.  I still don't have faith that he can pick the team up and carry them with his play as a QB.  I don't see it.  I also think we can still win with the defense, his legs, and a good skill group, just never win anything important.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Thats just a really long way of saying "we're F'ed"

We're again pissing away another season just to 'figure out' if Hurts is the guy.  We all know hes not. 

Hes the A#1 limiting factor to our season.  So yes, while the ceiling is slightly higher, it has nothing to do with Hurts and the ceiling is basically exactly where it was last season.

No one can honestly say we should be the favorites in the NFCE nor would anyone say we have a shot to win a road playoff game.

We're EXACTLY where we were last year, with some added pieces just for fun and another service year on a roster that is ready to win minus the QB position.

Nowhere near the same. Lest we forget - and a lot, I mean, a lot of folks here have - we were in deep discussion not so long ago as to whether we should go all in for a QB or build up the roster which, we should not forget, was old and slow. It seems pretty clear that the FO debated the same thing. We thought about Watson, evidently tried for Wilson, and got neither. I am personally glad about the former and ambivalent about the latter. When it became evident that we couldn't get the elite QB we desired, we went with the second option - to build up the roster, particularly the defense. You are right about a roster ready to win. The point is IF we had gone all in on the QB, we wouldn't have that roster. We couldn't do both and, fact of the matter, the available QBs were Wilson, who will turn 34 in mid-season, and nothing. Jameis or Jimmy G? No thanks. Stud QB in the draft? Um, no. Pickett went @ #20, then nobody until round three. There was nobody to move up for. Fact is, "the guy" was not available. However, we have six, count 'em, six picks in the first two rounds in the next two drafts. Plenty of ammo to move up for just about anybody.

We are not pissing away another season just to figure something out. We made a rational decision, greatly improved the roster, and are well positioned to get that QB assuming Hurts doesn't work out. I would argue that we made the right decision. This is a good team. With an elite QB it could be a great team but there wasn't one available. 

I get tired of the hand-wringing about Hurts and Gannon and Sirianni. Oh, woe betide. With all that bemoaning, however, I have yet to see a reasonable alternative as to what we should have done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Mike31mt said:

We're F'ed with Hurts and we all know it, just adjust your expectations now

The dude is scrambling in practice, jesus 🤣

We'll still win our fair share, but I doubt highly that any of them are really meaningful wins.   Hurts is what we always thought he was....good enough to win some games, maybe squeak into the playoffs, but always going home early....and a 20ish pick annually to keep the pain going.   It's a vicious cycle.

4 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Nowhere near the same. Lest we forget - and a lot, I mean, a lot of folks here have - we were in deep discussion not so long ago as to whether we should go all in for a QB or build up the roster which, we should not forget, was old and slow. It seems pretty clear that the FO debated the same thing. We thought about Watson, evidently tried for Wilson, and got neither. I am personally glad about the former and ambivalent about the latter. When it became evident that we couldn't get the elite QB we desired, we went with the second option - to build up the roster, particularly the defense. You are right about a roster ready to win. The point is IF we had gone all in on the QB, we wouldn't have that roster. We couldn't do both and, fact of the matter, the available QBs were Wilson, who will turn 34 in mid-season, and nothing. Jameis or Jimmy G? No thanks. Stud QB in the draft? Um, no. Pickett went @ #20, then nobody until round three. There was nobody to move up for. Fact is, "the guy" was not available. However, we have six, count 'em, six picks in the first two rounds in the next two drafts. Plenty of ammo to move up for just about anybody.

We are not pissing away another season just to figure something out. We made a rational decision, greatly improved the roster, and are well positioned to get that QB assuming Hurts doesn't work out. I would argue that we made the right decision. This is a good team. With an elite QB it could be a great team but there wasn't one available. 

I get tired of the hand-wringing about Hurts and Gannon and Sirianni. Oh, woe betide. With all that bemoaning, however, I have yet to see a reasonable alternative as to what we should have done. 

I'm dead serious when I say I'd like to see what Sinnett could do with Brown/Smith/Goedert and this o-line. We know how the story ends with Hurts as the QB...Sinnett could be worse (and likely is); but if NS announced tomorrow an open competition, with equal reps with the starters, I'd be mighty intrigued to see the results. 

6 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Oh, woe betide.

This is the last website I'd expect to find Shakespearean English.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I'm dead serious when I say I'd like to see what Sinnett could do with Brown/Smith/Goedert and this o-line. We know how the story ends with Hurts as the QB...Sinnett could be worse (and likely is); but if NS announced tomorrow an open competition, with equal reps with the starters, I'd be mighty intrigued to see the results. 

On the field or in this forum?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

An open competition would be refreshing.  Given the quality of our offensive line and skill positions, you never know what may happen.  I suspect none of them are game changing talents for the franchise, but let's see.  The main reason to play Hurts unchallenged is because he can run and they plan to feature that skill.

I think people have watched too many QBs shine against our defense - but note those QBs stayed in the pocket because there was an open WR or RB underneath within 3 seconds on practically every play. So they didn't have to hold the ball and get sacked.

"Throw into tight windows," yeah, Farve made a career out of that, put up big numbers, also threw a lot of interceptions.  And few QBs had his arm.

Russell Wilson does this all the time, if he can't find an open WR, he takes off to buy time, because that's an advantage of being a mobile QB, you don't have to stand there while the pocket collapses around you. And DCs hate the "scramble drill," because that well thought out coverage breaks down once everyone starts moving around. Once out of the pocket, the QB controls play, b/c he always has the option of throwing it away (much better than forcing it into traffic) if no one comes open and there's no running lane.

What we don't know is what's happening those first 3 seconds, without the all 22 and knowledge of the play call and his progressions, is Hurts missing open receivers or has the defense smothered his options?

Note that designed roll outs are generally less effective b/c defenses plan for them and it takes away half the field (hard to throw left when you run right) - but scrambling out of the pocket is different, because the defense is aligned to stop the pocket throw and has to adjust on the fly to the scramble.

Looks like this

On 6/3/2022 at 1:10 PM, greend said:

Really wish they would stick to football. This may be the last time I post here and my Eagles stuff may just get thrown in the trash. 

Was greend's last post.  Guess he was serious.  

9 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I think people have watched too many QBs shine against our defense

No, unlike you, some of us watch a bunch of other games that are not the Eagles, and we see QB's navigate the pocket, and know when to get out of the pocket when they need to throw it away.

It seems you entire opinion of the NFL is based on the Eagles, and the QB's when they play the Eagles.

18 minutes ago, justrelax said:

This is a false dichotomy

We still have two first rounders next year precisely because those were NOT our only options.

The FO is openly admitting that this is another "tryout" year.

And sorry, I wasnt one of those people crying about the roster.  It wasnt as bad as youre making it seem, especially considering that 2021 roster dragged a non-functional QB to the playoffs

Lets focus on the important things.

Hurts only has 8 TD's through 9 practices. With only 6 practices left, he has to average 4 TD's per practice to reach the coveted 30 Training Camp Touchdowns. If he fails to do so, the season is lost. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Looks like this

Was greend's last post.  Guess he was serious.  

It shows he has at least visited the site 3 weeks after this post, but yeah, I guess he was serious.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I think people have watched too many QBs shine against our defense - but note those QBs stayed in the pocket because there was an open WR or RB underneath within 3 seconds on practically every play. So they didn't have to hold the ball and get sacked.

"Throw into tight windows," yeah, Farve made a career out of that, put up big numbers, also threw a lot of interceptions.  And few QBs had his arm.

Russell Wilson does this all the time, if he can't find an open WR, he takes off to buy time, because that's an advantage of being a mobile QB, you don't have to stand there while the pocket collapses around you. And DCs hate the "scramble drill," because that well thought out coverage breaks down once everyone starts moving around. Once out of the pocket, the QB controls play, b/c he always has the option of throwing it away (much better than forcing it into traffic) if no one comes open and there's no running lane.

What we don't know is what's happening those first 3 seconds, without the all 22 and knowledge of the play call and his progressions, is Hurts missing open receivers or has the defense smothered his options?

Note that designed roll outs are generally less effective b/c defenses plan for them and it takes away half the field (hard to throw left when you run right) - but scrambling out of the pocket is different, because the defense is aligned to stop the pocket throw and has to adjust on the fly to the scramble.

We're not even discussing designed roll outs or him making throws on the run. We're talking about red zone drills, where he takes off running for a TD and then throws the ball into the stands like he's accomplished something. 

16 hours ago, Texas Eagle said:

Hurts is simply the shiniest turd in the QB room. He’s like the ugly girl that looks hot when she’s with a group of uglier chicks.

Hot-Not GIF | Gfycat

You're like A Beautiful Mind!   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

This is a false dichotomy

We still have two first rounders next year precisely because those were NOT our only options.

The FO is openly admitting that this is another "tryout" year.

And sorry, I wasnt one of those people crying about the roster.  It wasnt as bad as youre making it seem, especially considering that 2021 roster dragged a non-functional QB to the playoffs

Fair enough. What were those options?

5 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

We're not even discussing designed roll outs or him making throws on the run. We're talking about red zone drills, where he takes off running for a TD and then throws the ball into the stands like he's accomplished something. 

You missed the part where the head coach blows the play dead because it's a sack because he held the ball too long

13 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I’d like to see Minshew behind the Eagles O line with their WR’s. Sinnett has a better arm than Minshew but just going by scouting and what they did in college, Minshew is probably a step above Sinnett especially with his NFL experience.  

23 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Wilson gets shortchanged a bit here and nationally to a point.  He’s never had the O Line Philly has right now, and his best O line in Seattle would be mostly Eagles backups.  
 He throws one of the best deep balls in the NFL, rarely injured, but he does hold onto the ball too long and that’s proven every year with his high sack numbers. I’m not the biggest fan of QBR because it penalizes the QB for sacks which we know isn’t always the QB’s fault, but his QBR is actually really high considering how much he does get sacked.   I don’t know enough about the Broncos WR’s or O line, if they’re half decent, I expect Wilson to be a top 5 QB this season. 

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

It shows he has at least visited the site 3 weeks after this post, but yeah, I guess he was serious.

He and I had PM'd a few times... Not sure whom else he reached out to.  But, yeah... I don't expect to see him around here anymore.   

• Sad 2

What i thought of when I saw Jalen Hurts running into the endzone and celebrating it.....in practice....after getting sacked.

6ylmizol0tz41.jpg

• Haha 9

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

You missed the part where the head coach blows the play dead because it's a sack because he held the ball too long

Unimportant!  The ball went where it went ..... 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He's gone.

Huh?