James Bradberry (ex-Giants CB) -- SIGNED WITH EAGLES!

eaglesfan0075

Just now, jsdarkstar said:

He has been released. Howie should sign him ASAP. 

In theory, sounds great.  But Eagles don't have a ton of cap space and no doubt will want to extend some of the younger players on the roster.  So financially, it may not make sense.

1 minute ago, Procus said:

In theory, sounds great.  But Eagles don't have a ton of cap space and no doubt will want to extend some of the younger players on the roster.  So financially, it may not make sense.

it may not make financial sense, but that doesn't do anything to address the gaping hole at CB2. :D

Isn't Bradberry more of a Man style cover corner? If so, the signing wouldnt make much sense giving up all that cap and fitting him into a soft zone scheme. 

Sportrac has us a shade under $5million of cap space, but the savings on Brooks and Cox (old contract) don't accrue until June 1st which adds another $6mill,  given what he was paid in New York it's hard to see how we sign Bradberry for $10-12mill and leave any in season contingency with only that unless we have him sign a contract until he's in his mid 30's and pay him a huge signing bonus, which is Howie's signature move.

44 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Sportrac has us a shade under $5million of cap space, but the savings on Brooks and Cox (old contract) don't accrue until June 1st which adds another $6mill,  given what he was paid in New York it's hard to see how we sign Bradberry for $10-12mill and leave any in season contingency with only that unless we have him sign a contract until he's in his mid 30's and pay him a huge signing bonus, which is Howie's signature move.

Mid-30's.. So much drama. 😄

How about a three year deal until he is 32? Seems like a good idea to me.

33 minutes ago, Infam said:

Mid-30's.. So much drama. 😄

How about a three year deal until he is 32? Seems like a good idea to me.

If we sign him it'll have to be on low salary high bonus, which will need maximum proration to get us under the cap this year, he may play for us for 3 but he'll be dummy yeared for 5. He's a shade under 3 months shy of 29.

5 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If we sign him it'll have to be on low salary high bonus, which will need maximum proration to get us under the cap this year, he may play for us for 3 but he'll be dummy yeared for 5. He's a shade under 3 months shy of 29.

I said 32, and really he‘d be 29, 30, 31 playing for us. That’s good years for a corner. Nobody except the cap cultists cares about dummy years.

And why you guys never stop arguing like the cap is a fixed thing that cannot be changed is beyond me. If we wanted to pay him 10M this year we undoubtedly could. But as you pointed out there‘s no need for restructures as we are fine as is.

14 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Isn't Bradberry more of a Man style cover corner? If so, the signing wouldnt make much sense giving up all that cap and fitting him into a soft zone scheme. 

Came across this in an article:

"During last season Bradberry recorded four interceptions, defended 17 passes, and totaled 47 tackles. While still producing, he struggled in areas that he hadn’t in the past. He finished the season as the 58th ranked cornerback according to PFF.

With the recent hiring of defensive coordinator Don Martindale, the New York Giants will be expected to transition to a heavy-man coverage defense. Bradberry struggled in man coverage last season but was still effective in zone. A team that has a preference towards zone would benefit from having Bradberry at one of their corner spots."

Since we already run zone predominantly, Bradberry should still be effective here even if he doesn't revert back to his previous form in man coverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Since we already run zone predominantly, Bradberry should still be effective here even if he doesn't revert back to his previous form in man coverage.

Pretty sure having Slay on the other side would help him too.

3 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

I dont think Eagles are going to sign Bradberry...

Howie has said since before the draft they like the young guys they have on the roster and want to see them step up...so yes I agree with you

2 hours ago, Walkdawalk said:

Howie has said since before the draft they like the young guys they have on the roster and want to see them step up...so yes I agree with you

And whilst I'm sure they do want to see what they have in those young guys I just don't think it really adds up. They add AJ Brown, they add Reddick and they went with draft picks who can likely contribute straight away. And yet you go with the young guys who a lot of them are UDFAs?

3 hours ago, Infam said:

James Bradberry is pissed at Giants. Does he have a point? (elitesportsny.com)

If true our chances might be higher than some of you think. Both in terms of revenge and in terms of the amount of money he expects.

The Raiders and Commanders both have connections to Bradberry via their coaching staff (DC Patrick Graham of the Raiders and HC Ron Rivera of the Commanders)

If familiarity with the scheme is important to Bradberry, the Eagles might be a tough sell to him. However they should still definitely make a push to sign him. With all the moves the team made in the offseason, he may see the Eagles as the best shot for him to play in the playoffs?

There are still a few guys out there that can fill in the CB2 spot opposite Slay and still be upgrades over our unproven young guys, but Bradberry is probably the best of those options.

• Like 1

Eagles won't spend the money he's looking for

2 hours ago, Godfather said:

Eagles won't spend the money he's looking for

Yes i believe that's the case too. And I think the focus possibly needs to be more on adding a good starting safety. Even though I think Bradberry would be a really good addition. 

It seems as though the Eagles are always almost intentionally delusional about something.  During the AR era, it was WRs.  They finally got smarter about that one.  Then it was LBs.  Now it seems as though we might have an actual LB or two, though the investment there has still not been much.  But they've been virtually ignoring the Secondary for a number of years now.  That's why our pass-defense blows.  We're just one decent CB away from being somewhat average in the secondary, and with the improvements elsewhere in the team, that might be enough.  But instead, we get Howie's version of "We're fine there."  I love the Eagles.  I'll never stop being a fan.  But it's frustrating.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

We're just one decent CB away from being somewhat average in the secondary, and with the improvements elsewhere in the team, that might be enough.  But instead, we get Howie's version of "We're fine there."  I love the Eagles.  I'll never stop being a fan.  But it's frustrating.

Yeah I agree with you here. They definitely have a blindspot when it comes to certain positions. Right now it's in the secondary and it's so frustrating. Just one good addition at CB or S and this secondary could be at least competent. But right now I don't think the additions to the front 7 are going to be able to have the impact they should. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But right now I don't think the additions to the front 7 are going to be able to have the impact they should. 

Someone has to be able to cover Lamb, and it's not going to be Jordan Davis.

• Like 1

Steven Nelson was the guy to sign. He signed a 2yr $9m deal with only $4.5m guaranteed. That was a no brainer. Howie F’d up there.

I was wondering when Slay was going to start campaigning. I was beginning to think he didn't like Bradberry. 

7 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

Someone has to be able to cover Lamb, and it's not going to be Jordan Davis.

Despite him being an athletic freak. 😊