James Bradberry (ex-Giants CB) -- SIGNED WITH EAGLES!

eaglesfan0075

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I agree with you here. They definitely have a blindspot when it comes to certain positions. Right now it's in the secondary and it's so frustrating. Just one good addition at CB or S and this secondary could be at least competent. But right now I don't think the additions to the front 7 are going to be able to have the impact they should. 

I don‘t think it‘s a blind spot. I believe they would have drafted Horn or Surtain even over Smith if they were able to. Probably might have traded up even further for Sauce, possibly Stingley this year, too.
They just aren‘t into drafting that second tier corners which may be a mistake.

And they did try to get one of the top safeties on the market but Williams went to the Ravens and Mathieu to the Saints.

All the activity makes me think there will be a big addition to the secondary before the season begins.

On 5/12/2022 at 6:55 PM, ilikepargo said:

Someone has to be able to cover Lamb, and it's not going to be Jordan Davis.

Unless Bradberry drops his asking price, it wont be the Eagles. There is a reason he wasnt traded during the draft, he wants too much $$$. 

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Unless Bradberry drops his asking price, it wont be the Eagles. There is a reason he wasnt traded during the draft, he wants too much $$$. 

There's also a reason why many feel the timing of his release was unfair. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a 1 year deal so he can get a lucrative FA deal at the beginning of the next league year. He may have to take what he can get this year.

• Like 1

Howie needs to act soon. He can't miss out on another CB.

6 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

People said the same thing last year about Steven Nelson. The longer they wait, the more desperate Bradberry will getbecause time does nothing but drop his value. No one is paying his asking price or he would be on a new team already. Once he gets realistic they can talk. No one is swooping in and signing him without the other teams being able to offer more. Agents are not that dumb to call every team and say hes about to sign for the ***** unless you make a better offer. 

• Like 1

It doesn't have to be Bradberry.,  Except that...  Who else is out there?  (Or likely to be?)

1 hour ago, ilikepargo said:

It doesn't have to be Bradberry.,  Except that...  Who else is out there?  (Or likely to be?)

I'm not so sure Zech McPhearson would even be a downgrade from Nelson. Having a year in the NFL under his belt, I feel a lot better about the idea of him starting the season as CB2 than I did at this same time last year. 

Teams will still be managing their caps up until the regular season so there could be other opportunities to upgrade if Zech doesn't seem to be working out. It's too early to really worry at this point. 

On 5/14/2022 at 3:14 PM, jsdarkstar said:

I do like Bradberry quite a bit (he was near the top of my wish list in free agency in 2020) … if we decide to sign a vet CB he’d be one of a select few I’d have legitimate interest in.  But I also don’t want to overpay to add him to a team that I honestly don’t expect to legitimately compete for a championship this year … they still have some work to do.  I’d be OK if they either waited until late summer to potentially sign him to a team friendly deal (similar to what we did with Nelson last year) or just rolled with what we have and make the secondary a primary focus next offseason.  We knew this team was more than one offseason from completing a rebuild … this year was more about the front 7.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I'm not so sure Zech McPhearson would even be a downgrade from Nelson. Having a year in the NFL under his belt, I feel a lot better about the idea of him starting the season as CB2 than I did at this same time last year. 

He did make some good plays last year, but he also got picked on a lot and best a lot.  And when we're on the thin side as Safety too, I'd rather have someone a little more proven.

Of course, we don't get to make that choice.  We just cheer if it works or grind our teeth and lob curses at Howie if it doesn't.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

We knew this team was more than one offseason from completing a rebuild … this year was more about the front 7.  

We "knew" the same thing heading into 2017. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

We "knew" the same thing heading into 2017. 

Expecting to catch lightning in a bottle two times in 5 years?

38 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It happened with the Giants 07 and 11

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walkdawalk said:

It happened with the Giants 07 and 11

Eli could throw the ball. Not great but lightyears above Hurts. 

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

Eli could throw the ball. Not great but lightyears above Hurts. 

I'd argue both of the Giants SB wins were down to defense...Eli had the right amount of luck especially in 07 and sometimes that's all you need. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Expecting? No. But pretending this isn't the modern state of the NFL is short-sighted. Long-term rebuilds were necessary before free agency. Imagine how good a team Buddy Ryan could have had if he would have just been able to sign a couple solid offensive linemen in free agency. But long-term rebuilds don't represent today's model of success in the NFL. 

8 hours ago, Walkdawalk said:

I'd argue both of the Giants SB wins were down to defense...Eli had the right amount of luck especially in 07 and sometimes that's all you need. 

Yes, but he could throw the ball....

9 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Expecting? No. But pretending this isn't the modern state of the NFL is short-sighted. Long-term rebuilds were necessary before free agency. Imagine how good a team Buddy Ryan could have had if he would have just been able to sign a couple solid offensive linemen in free agency. But long-term rebuilds don't represent today's model of success in the NFL. 

We added 2 LBs and a WR3/WR4 in free agency.  Biggest question mark is the most important position on the team, perhaps in all of sports.  And the secondary is still in need of a complete overhaul.  I wasn’t expecting to fill all holes this offseason.  We’re likely still a year away from being LEGITIMATELY competitive.  Nothing wrong with that, just as long as they continue to be smart and add the right pieces.  

9 minutes ago, time2rock said:

We added 2 LBs and a WR3/WR4 in free agency.  Biggest question mark is the most important position on the team, perhaps in all of sports.  And the secondary is still in need of a complete overhaul.  I wasn’t expecting to fill all holes this offseason.  We’re likely still a year away from being LEGITIMATELY competitive.  Nothing wrong with that, just as long as they continue to be smart and add the right pieces.  

And this offseason has been encouraging but all the pieces are theoretical fits now. We'll see where we stand at the season's end.  We could be a piece or 2 away OR we could be something much worse. That's not me being negative just old lol.  I've seen all these things play out in various ways including Davis, Dean & even Brown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

And this offseason has been encouraging but all the pieces are theoretical fits now. We'll see where we stand at the season's end.  We could be a piece or 2 away OR we could be something much worse. That's not me being negative just old lol.  I've seen all these things play out in various ways including Davis, Dean & even Brown.

It’s neither negative nor being old … it’s just being realistic.  Can we catch lightning in a bottle once again?  Well sure, anything is possible.  And obviously not rooting against it. I just think the odds of that happening are extremely low, much lower than they were in 2017/2018.  Many more question marks now compared to then … a lot of players like Cox, Johnson, Graham, etc that were in their prime then that are well past it now.  Plus key players that have moved on that we have yet to replace (Long, Jenkins, and heck can even add Wentz to that list).  

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

It’s neither negative nor being old … it’s just being realistic.  Can we catch lightning in a bottle once again?  Well sure, anything is possible.  And obviously not rooting against it. I just think the odds of that happening are extremely low, much lower than they were in 2017/2018.  Many more question marks now compared to then … a lot of players like Cox, Johnson, Graham, etc that were in their prime then that are well past it now.  Plus key players that have moved on that we have yet to replace (Long, Jenkins, and heck can even add Wentz to that list).  

Well but we did look a lot better last year than we did the season before. Sure, pump the brakes as much as you want but I think there are many reasons to think we will be much better again this year. And that‘s down to the players we added and the additional experience a very young inexperienced team with young inexperienced coaches just got.

If we indeed add to the secondary now I wouldn‘t be surprised if we are very good this year, helped by a pretty soft schedule.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Infam said:

If we indeed add to the secondary now I wouldn‘t be surprised if we are very good this year, helped by a pretty soft schedule.

I would agree with this. I think if we make a good addition or two to the secondary then this team can win 11-12 games this year. I think we are on the up and we have an easy schedule. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infam said:

Well but we did look a lot better last year than we did the season before. Sure, pump the brakes as much as you want but I think there are many reasons to think we will be much better again this year. And that‘s down to the players we added and the additional experience a very young inexperienced team with young inexperienced coaches just got.

Helped with a pretty soft schedule, similar to your last line.  We all saw just how competitive we truly were when we went up against TB in the playoff game.  Hey man, I'm not pumping any brakes, I'm just keeping it real ... still too many question marks (the biggest one at QB, the most important position on the team).  Question marks doesn't mean I think they are guaranteed to suck ... it simply means we don't yet know what to expect from them.  That could apply to the secondary as well ... Epps, McPhearson, Gowan ... some of those guys just might surprise.  But you can't count on it at this point.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

We added a pass rusher, a LB and a WR4 in free agency. We traded for one of the NFL's top young WRs. IMO, our defense was hurt the most by the absence of Brandon Graham last year. He returns this year. We saw improvement last year by TJ Edwards, and Davion Taylor and added Dean in the draft. We bolstered the interior of our D-line with Davis. While not the most celebrated move, we kept Barnett. Our front 7 is loaded with depth.

The secondary isn't in need of a complete overhaul. Slay is coming off a terrific season as is Maddox. Epps has slipped under the radar by a lot of fans because we were all waiting for Wallace to be the future starter. Harris isn't as bad as some people here are trying to make it seem. There were some FAs that would have been clear upgrades at safety, at least over Harris, but they would have been more costly. I was hoping to draft a CB that would clearly be a day 1 starter, but we went for BPA after the top 2 were off the board. So unless we make a move to bring in a proven guy, we'll have to trust the team likes what they have in McPhearson and they feel good about the coaching. So there are questions about our secondary, but a complete overhaul was not needed. We just need answers. 

I feel we were legitimately competitive last year. This year, we need to be more consistent, that is all. Every year, though there are 31 other teams that also want to end up in the same place when the season ends, but only 1 team gets it. We are seeing more and more teams go "all in" each season. Those teams will be the "favorites" to win it all. We are not one of those teams. But we'll be able to beat some of those teams.