Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iladelphxx

Depth

Recommended Posts

Outside of Safety, is there a position group on this team that doesn't have Top 5 in the NFL level depth? 

QB

RB

WR

OL

TE 

DL

LB

CB

Each one of these positions has backup players who could be a starter on some teams in the league right now. 

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Punter

I didn't count specialists because you don't carry more than one on the roster 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defensive end.  Lot of injury risks I know reddick is an edge but he’s not a de.  Hes a Sam but Barnett blows lol and I can’t stand he’s dumb arse penalties

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you listed it as dline but dt is stacked de we have a graham that we don’t know what he is anymore and sweat who needs to become a 10+ sack guy.  I’d also say lb.  people love kyzir white but he could easily become the newest in a long line of free agent failures at that position along with dean who could just as easily fail like every eagles lb drafted in last 20 years lol.  They have potential to be good but nowhere near top 5 based on potential

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who behind the starters would you say would start on other teams for CB, LB, TE, RB and QB.

 

CB - Is Zech a starter?

LB - I'm not sure who would start on other teams outside our three starters in Dean, White and Edwards

TE - Is Stoll a starter? JJAW might have a job as a blocking TE but not a starter job, imo.

RB - I like Bosco and Gainwell but I think they'd be RB2 on another team

QB - Minshew is a backup here because he couldn't start anywhere else. I've advocated his arm is better than Hurts and gives us a better chance at success so I could see if you said he could start here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer is Yes... This post is lacking Depth. Since we are switching more to 3-4, the defense has to prove itself first....Just because there are a lot of new faces, does not mean that we have top people that other teams are scared off. Not Yet anyway. We are a lot closer to repeating a playoff win, then winning a SB..And it is way too early to judge the level and the progress of the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TE, CB, Safety lack depth. And across the entire D Line, meh, it's ok.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Eagles team is less complete than the 2017 team was. It is expected though since rebuild is still ongoing. If they have a great off season next year and QB is straightened out, that's when we should raise expectations. This year has a lot of "prove it" built into the team. Let's hope they do.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2022 at 8:38 AM, iladelphxx said:

Outside of Safety, is there a position group on this team that doesn't have Top 5 in the NFL level depth? 

QB

RB

WR

OL

TE 

DL

LB

CB

Each one of these positions has backup players who could be a starter on some teams in the league right now. 

 

QB - the starter should be a back up

RB - Gainwell and Scott are not starters.

WR - I would take the Rams, Bengals, Bucs, Vikings, Seahawks, Chargers, Raiders over the Eagles

TE - Literally nothing behind Goedert

CB - The group is so thin they had to sign a guy to a 1 year deal last week as they do not trust anyone else in the group to start

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, downundermike said:

QB - the starter should be a back up

RB - Gainwell and Scott are not starters.

WR - I would take the Rams, Bengals, Bucs, Vikings, Seahawks, Chargers, Raiders over the Eagles

TE - Literally nothing behind Goedert

CB - The group is so thin they had to sign a guy to a 1 year deal last week as they do not trust anyone else in the group to start

This is a bit blasphemy Jack Stoll was incredible as a TE and wasn’t asked to do much else. He has good speed and reliable hands. Go watch his tape his last season. Jackson is extremely talented but has the injuries slowed both his development and athletic skills? TBD. Our 6th round TE Grant has a Trey Burton size and skill set. Would have went a lot higher if he didn’t already retire and has concussion issues. 3rd round talent easy. We have players here we just haven’t seen a lot from the young guys other than Stoll. 
 

Scott and Gainwell were better and more complete backs than Sanders was last season. He didn’t have that incredible home run speed where he could take it to the house at any time. He has never been a great pass protection guy and his hands have been suspended or just no show. But don’t forget they were the guys who lead us to the playoffs and helped make the #1 rushing offense in the NFL. Jordan Howard is also a phone call away. He is just such a natural fit in the room and as a Philly type player.

Minshew is better than Mariota, Mills, Lock, Jones, Trubisky/Pickett, Fields,  Darnold, Zach Wilson, and Geoff and possibly Wentz  that’s a lot of teams hurting for talent so yeah be happy with our backup QB and Strong was considered a Day 2 talent and we got him by injuries in the past. He can develop and continue to heal as the third string.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SlimReaper4Six said:

Jack Stoll was incredible as a TE

Yes, his 4 catches for 22 yards was incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, downundermike said:

TE - Literally nothing behind Goedert

Agreed although I think the guy they drafted has potential as a pass catching TE. But yeah behind Goedert there isn't a lot there! And Goedert does tend to miss time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yes, his 4 catches for 22 yards was incredible.

For what he was asked of ? Absolutely. How many targets did he have ? 6  He was asked to block when 12 and 13 was our sub package. He has really good hands if you look at his college tape when he was targeted. Smooth routes soft hands and tough to bring down. He can’t call his own number.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SlimReaper4Six said:

For what he was asked of ? Absolutely. How many targets did he have ? 6  He was asked to block when 12 and 13 was our sub package. He has really good hands if you look at his college tape when he was targeted. Smooth routes soft hands and tough to bring down. He can’t call his own number.

Everyone outside the starters, backs and Reagor combined for 19 total receptions for the year out of total 307. - Ward(7), Stoll(4), Jackson(3), JJAW(2), Rodgers(2) and Lane(1)

Combined 12 from Hurts in 15 games. - Ward(6),Stoll(3),Jackson(0),JJAW(2),Rodgers(0) and Lane(1)

Combined 7 in just over 2 games. - Jackson(3),Rodgers(2),Ward(1),Stoll(1) (Most of these happened in the final Dallas game where the starters didn't play)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, downundermike said:

TE - Literally nothing behind Goedert

 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed although I think the guy they drafted has potential as a pass catching TE. But yeah behind Goedert there isn't a lot there! And Goedert does tend to miss time. 

Nobody is really talking about him since he wasn't used much last year, but Rodgers is still on the roster and he's a pretty solid TE2 if you need him to be. He's an efficient and reliable receiver and a very good blocker.

It looks like T. Jackson fans might have to wait until next year to see if this project pans out. He has to recover from the knee injury and likely will get stashed on IR at some point after starting on the PUP list.  Stoll will get a long look in TC and preseason, but he just seems like a run of the mill TE3. Calcaterra is a guy to watch. There's a good chance he's one of the guys we keep on the regular roster. Sirianni wants his WRs to block, so Calcaterra needs to show he can block if he wants to be a TE on this team. JJAW will probably end up on the PS. Togiai seems like the odd man out in virtually every scenario. 

But our "depth" at TE isn't really anything to brag about at this point. In 2017 we had Ertz, Celek and Burton. After that, we had Ertz, Goedert and Rodgers until the trade deadline last year. This is probably the worst "depth" we've had at TE in years, but we aren't in bad shape either. There is some potential in the unknowns. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, downundermike said:

QB - the starter should be a back up

RB - Gainwell and Scott are not starters.

WR - I would take the Rams, Bengals, Bucs, Vikings, Seahawks, Chargers, Raiders over the Eagles

TE - Literally nothing behind Goedert

CB - The group is so thin they had to sign a guy to a 1 year deal last week as they do not trust anyone else in the group to start

Disagree on the Seahawks but the Dolphins have Tyreek, Jaylen Waddle and Cedrick Wilson as 1, 2 and 3.

 

On TE, in Today's NFL you can put any tall guy with decent hands who's too slow to play outside in as a pass catching TE, Rodgers, Stoll, Jackson or Calcaterra should be more than enough.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, downundermike said:

WR - I would take the Rams, Bengals, Bucs, Vikings, Seahawks, Chargers, Raiders over the Eagles

Rams you can make a case but they lost OBJ. 1 through 4 I think we have better options than Vikings, Seattle and Bengals. Raiders and Bucs I agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Rams you can make a case but they lost OBJ. 1 through 4 I think we have better options than Vikings, Seattle and Bengals. Raiders and Bucs I agree. 

Chase, Higgins and Boyd are better top to bottom.  Boyd as the #3 had number similar to Devonta, our #1 last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Chase, Higgins and Boyd are better top to bottom.  Boyd as the #3 had number similar to Devonta, our #1 last year.

They do have a much better QB though to be fair. And they do throw the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They do have a much better QB though to be fair. And they do throw the ball. 

Before Chase arrived, Boyd was the #2 and had back to back 1000 yard seasons with Andy Dalton as his QB.  To compare Quez Watkins to Tyler Boyd is laughable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, downundermike said:

Before Chase arrived, Boyd was the #2 and had back to back 1000 yard seasons with Andy Dalton as his QB.  To compare Quez Watkins to Tyler Boyd is laughable.

People can compare whatever and whoever they want. We'll have a better idea after we see how things play out with the trio we have. Replace Boyd with Reagor or JJAW last year and see if Chase and Higgins are as productive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, brkmsn said:

People can compare whatever and whoever they want. We'll have a better idea after we see how things play out with the trio we have. Replace Boyd with Reagor or JJAW last year and see if Chase and Higgins are as productive. 

Yeah but the argument made was that we have a better WR rotation than the Bengals, and we don't, The Bengals probably have the best 1,2,3 of receivers in the league.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2022 at 5:06 PM, brkmsn said:

People can compare whatever and whoever they want. We'll have a better idea after we see how things play out with the trio we have. Replace Boyd with Reagor or JJAW last year and see if Chase and Higgins are as productive. 

I’ll add if you replace JJAW and Reagor with the guys we have now and we will see the Eagles throw the ball a lot more than they did last season. What remains to be seen is if the quarterback can keep up. If he can’t then they should replace him and not just wait until the off-season to do it. They should’ve pulled the trigger on Foles and traded Minshew. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’ll add if you replace JJAW and Reagor with the guys we have now and we will see the Eagles throw the ball a lot more than they did last season. What remains to be seen is if the quarterback can keep up. If he can’t then they should replace him and not just wait until the off-season to do it. They should’ve pulled the trigger on Foles and traded Minshew. 

So what do you think they'll do if Hurts isn't up to the task? I mean they've added AJ Brown and they have Smith, Watkins and Goedert to feed plus decent depth with Pascal and then the RBs getting involved in the pass game. They can't adapt the offense this year to run heavy surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...