Myles Murphy (Clemson EDGE) -- DRAFTED BY CINCINNATI #28

time2rock

Will be a junior at Clemson this upcoming season, so banking on him declaring early.  Strong side DE with excellent size:  6'5", 275 lbs.  

mm1.thumb.PNG.4442a374f3f57bf678100a225d021f4f.PNG

mm2.PNG.e77347d549769392a1c5522c0269ad30.PNG

mm3.PNG.0fb9261c1031d8dfb5275b6f90965366.PNG

• Like 2

I've seen him mocked to us in some "way too early "mock drafts that have both our picks in the teens

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We need a stud at the EDGE.

Hope this guy falls to us.

• 1 month later...

I’m thinking Saints pick is top 10.

We need to pick Murphy with our first pick.

Second pick is a S, CB, or QB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

I’m thinking Saints pick is top 10.

We need to pick Murphy with our first pick.

Second pick is a S, CB, or QB.

If we are able to lock up CGJ beyond 2022 and if Epps plays well enough to lock down that 2nd S spot, then I don't see S as a 1st round need.  We shall see if both of those happen.  

And obviously QB will depend on what kind of season Hurts has ... he needs to take major strides forward in his passing game in order to pass on a QB.  Again, we shall see.  

54 minutes ago, time2rock said:

If we are able to lock up CGJ beyond 2022 and if Epps plays well enough to lock down that 2nd S spot, then I don't see S as a 1st round need.  We shall see if both of those happen.  

And obviously QB will depend on what kind of season Hurts has ... he needs to take major strides forward in his passing game in order to pass on a QB.  Again, we shall see.  

No matter what I think the Eagles are unlikely to take a safety in rd 1. Not their MO.  DE seems very likely, CB likely as well.  QB is the big wild card which will discuss a lot in the upcoming months. Hurts being good enough to win with at a low salary is different than committing big $ to a guy if he doesn't prove to be top 10.

• Like 1

Until we have a resolution on the QB position, our need #1 to #53 is QB.

Here's hoping Hurts can take a giant leap as a passer this year or it's all in on a QB in 2023.

34 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Until we have a resolution on the QB position, our need #1 to #53 is QB.

Here's hoping Hurts can take a giant leap as a passer this year or it's all in on a QB in 2023.

Feels like there are teams tanking this year just to get QBs. I hope it doesn't come down to us trading 2 1's or more to get the 3rd or 4th best QB in the draft and hoping that guy is a franchise QB which is unlikely

32 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Feels like there are teams tanking this year just to get QBs. I hope it doesn't come down to us trading 2 1's or more to get the 3rd or 4th best QB in the draft and hoping that guy is a franchise QB which is unlikely

Getting the 3rd or 4th rated QB isn't necessarily a bad thing. Allen and Herbert were both 3rd QBs in their classes for example.

Whether your taking the likely #1 QB or the 4th, it's a likely 50/50 gamble either way, and one we can't be afraid to take if it comes to it.

6 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Getting the 3rd or 4th rated QB isn't necessarily a bad thing. Allen and Herbert were both 3rd QBs in their classes for example.

Whether your taking the likely #1 QB or the 4th, it's a likely 50/50 gamble either way, and one we can't be afraid to take if it comes to it.

It's definitely an interesting discussion.  There are just so many factors that will play out between now and then

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

No matter what I think the Eagles are unlikely to take a safety in rd 1. Not their MO.  DE seems very likely, CB likely as well.  QB is the big wild card which will discuss a lot in the upcoming months. Hurts being good enough to win with at a low salary is different than committing big $ to a guy if he doesn't prove to be top 10.

Agreed.  We may not have used a 1st on a LB since 1979 but I believe we’ve never used a 1st on a S.  Just as a didn’t think Hamilton would be an option for us this year for that reason (when he was one of the higher rated safeties in recent years and the need was greater), it makes sense that S would be even less an option now.  

Sometimes I run the PFF simulator and pick Clemson EDGE Myles Murphy and then Clemson DT Brian Bresee with our second pick.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 1:30 PM, CouchKing said:

Sometimes I run the PFF simulator and pick Clemson EDGE Myles Murphy and then Clemson DT Brian Bresee with our second pick.

I think we might be in the next tier down, but looks good to me.

On 9/3/2022 at 8:32 AM, time2rock said:

Problem is you likely can’t keep both CJGJ and Bradberry it Hurts gets a contract. So you’ll probably need to pick one to re-sign, and draft the other position in the first to replace whoever leaves. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nipples said:

Problem is you likely can’t keep both CJGJ and Bradberry it Hurts gets a contract. So you’ll probably need to pick one to re-sign, and draft the other position in the first to replace whoever leaves. 

I don’t think we’d draft a S in the first regardless.  CB seems much more likely (other than DL, OL, or QB).  WR is another position Howie would use a first on but obviously we’re good there now. 

I'm sure Howie wants to keep CJGJ but he needs to get better at safety first.  Given the short ramp up period I think there's a good chance his best play is ahead

8 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

I'm sure Howie wants to keep CJGJ but he needs to get better at safety first.  Given the short ramp up period I think there's a good chance his best play is ahead

Agreed.  But even if CJGJ doesn't work out here (not a good scheme fit or does play well but we are unable to extend him), I still don't see a S in the first round.  

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 10:40 PM, pgcd3 said:

I’ve been pretty impressed with him so far considering he was added to the roster right before the season started. The tough decision is whether to sign him or Bradberry if they can only afford one, which is likely if Hurts keeps balling out and gets his contract. 

12 hours ago, nipples said:

I’ve been pretty impressed with him so far considering he was added to the roster right before the season started. The tough decision is whether to sign him or Bradberry if they can only afford one, which is likely if Hurts keeps balling out and gets his contract. 

Howie will figure that part out.  I think Miles is probably odd man out because paying RBs hasn't proven to be smart money

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 2:04 PM, nipples said:

On 9/28/2022 at 2:39 AM, pgcd3 said:

Howie will figure that part out.  I think Miles is probably odd man out because paying RBs hasn't proven to be smart money

I would love to keep Bradberry, but my sense is we won’t be able to afford him. CGJ may be more realistic.

Sanders is having a career year, but given his injury history and his position, moving on makes sense.

Would love to get Murphy with the Saints pick if Anderson is not in play. DE and corner make a lot of sense in round 1.

11 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I would love to keep Bradberry, but my sense is we won’t be able to afford him. CGJ may be more realistic.

Sanders is having a career year, but given his injury history and his position, moving on makes sense.

Would love to get Murphy with the Saints pick if Anderson is not in play. DE and corner make a lot of sense in round 1.

While I don’t think odds favor re-signing both, I remain hopeful Howie can once again work his magic and make it work.  Seems likely he’ll also need to work in an extension for Hurts which makes that process much more difficult.  

If that pick from NO ends up being top 5, gut tells me he’ll try like hell to deal it for more picks.  I would love a return similar to what Miami received for the 3rd overall pick in 2021 (SF sent them pick 12, 1st and 3rd rd picks in 2022, and their 2023 1st as well).  We still end up with 2 picks in round 1 in April plus quite a few future high picks that would go a long way to filling holes with top end talent that would be under control for 4-5 years on much cheaper rookie contracts giving more cap flexibility. 

On 10/21/2022 at 6:48 PM, time2rock said:

While I don’t think odds favor re-signing both, I remain hopeful Howie can once again work his magic and make it work.  Seems likely he’ll also need to work in an extension for Hurts which makes that process much more difficult.  

If that pick from NO ends up being top 5, gut tells me he’ll try like hell to deal it for more picks.  I would love a return similar to what Miami received for the 3rd overall pick in 2021 (SF sent them pick 12, 1st and 3rd rd picks in 2022, and their 2023 1st as well).  We still end up with 2 picks in round 1 in April plus quite a few future high picks that would go a long way to filling holes with top end talent that would be under control for 4-5 years on much cheaper rookie contracts giving more cap flexibility. 

Hell no. If you have a chance at a top 5 player, you get him. If this team was full of holes then sure, trade it for multiple picks. But when you’re a contender and have a shot at one of the premium talents in the draft you need to take him. 

• Like 1

I haven't watched enough of him.  Is he absolutely wrecking opposing OL?  If he's worthy of a top-5 pick, he should be.

The way things are going, this guy may very well be the target...