Kareem Hunt (Browns RB) -- 2023 Free Agent

eaglesfan0075

There is some buzz coming out of the joint practices between the Eagles and Browns about some possible interest from the Eagles in trading for Kareem Hunt. How much of this is legitimate and how much of this is media speculation can be put up for debate. 

Assuming the interest is legitimate, I think there is a case to be made in trading for Kareem Hunt. He's currently the 1B option to Nick Chubb and is reportedly unhappy with not being the lead back. Barring injury, Chubb is clearly the entrenched starter. The Eagles have a talented but often injured young RB in Miles Sanders going into a contract year, with a solid backup in Boston Scott and once promising 2nd year back Kenneth Gainwell (although recently not quite as impressive) right behind him on the depth chart.

The Browns understandably would prefer that Hunt finishes out his contract and demonstrates he can stay healthy before considering signing him to an extension, as he has had his share of missed time due to injury also. They reportedly denied his trade request, which makes sense since they'll need the offense to be as close to full strength as possible if they want to try competing with Jacoby Brissett filling in for Deshaun Watson. This is where the trade comes into play.

If the Eagles aren't going to re-sign Miles Sanders this offseason, maybe consider a Miles Sanders for Kareem Hunt swap? I don't think Jalen Reagor and a late round pick will be enough for us to land Kareem Hunt. The Browns would probably want a RB back in the deal to replace the lost depth; if that's not the case, then certainly it would be great to keep both guys.

I understand the 2nd round draft capital used to select Sanders and the fact that he's 2 years younger than Hunt, but if he's not in the long-term plans and if the Eagles think Hunt is someone they can rely on in the next 2-3 years with a contract extension, perhaps this is worth a look? Sanders would not fetch a 2nd round pick at this juncture standalone value with how he has played thus far and expiring contract; best case scenario would probably be a 4th round pick.

The reason I didn't create this thread was because of his past history

Not only would he be more available than Sanders but he would be an upgrade in talent. Hunt is a 3 down back in my opinion. Eagles gotta go get him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Not only would he be more available than Sanders but he would be an upgrade in talent. Hunt is a 3 down back in my opinion. Eagles gotta go get him.

Sanders has been available for more games and has a higher YPC than Hunt for the last 3 years. and that's with Hunt having Nick Chubb to wear down the defense for him..

• Like 1

I know Sanders has had his issues with staying healthy, but as stated above, he has been more productive. It's a shame, cause I like this kid. When playing, all he's done is produce, but the reality is, I don't think we're giving him a deal unless he comes real cheap. Somebody will definitely give him more unless he accepts a home discount. 

On 8/22/2022 at 7:55 AM, Godfather said:

The reason I didn't create this thread was because of his past history

Four years ago. He did his suspension time and anger management.

36 minutes ago, judunno said:

Four years ago. He did his suspension time and anger management.

Cool. Still don't like him

29 minutes ago, judunno said:

Oh... you know him. Nice.

Don't need to know him for me not to like him

23 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Sanders has been available for more games and has a higher YPC than Hunt for the last 3 years. and that's with Hunt having Nick Chubb to wear down the defense for him..

Damn that’s crazy. It’s so easy to assume the opposite as a fan since sanders seems to always be hurt. 

Like Sanders, Hunt is in the final year of his current contract.  I don't think it is a wise philosophy to pay RBs in today's NFL (unless they are an extra special talent or are willing to sign for a super team friendly deal ... I don't think Hunt is either ... ditto Sanders).  I'd pass and look to draft a RB next year.  Run him for 4 years, let him go, draft another, repeat process.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

So I guess we want Cleveland to lose 2nite? And would we give a '24 pick or swap of 3rds maybe?

1 hour ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

So I guess we want Cleveland to lose 2nite? And would we give a '24 pick or swap of 3rds maybe?

Good question bud. We definitely want them to lose tonight because that helps our cause if we are after Hunt. If they win they may feel they are very much still alive and that doesn't help our chances so much. 

47 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Good question bud. We definitely want them to lose tonight because that helps our cause if we are after Hunt. If they win they may feel they are very much still alive and that doesn't help our chances so much. 

Actually a swap of 3rds wouldn't make sense for them since their will be higher. Maybe our 3rd for their 4th is what I should have said

So Hunt isn't happy in Cleveland because he's behind Nick Chubb on the depth chart, so we're going to trade for him to put him behind someone who isn't as good as Nick Chubb?

This just seems to be a ticket to destroying locker room harmony, for what would be a marginal benefit based on the season to date.

• Like 1

The reason Ajayi worked in 2017 was because he was happy to share the carries with Blount and Clement...Hunt isn't happy sharing the carries with Chubb. So I bet he will be thrilled to split reps with Sanders and Gainwell/Scott. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Walkdawalk said:

The reason Ajayi worked in 2017 was because he was happy to share the carries with Blount and Clement...Hunt isn't happy sharing the carries with Chubb. So I bet he will be thrilled to split reps with Sanders and Gainwell/Scott. 

That's a good and fair point. I think Hunt is a very good player and I do think in terms of ability he'd be a nice addition. That said I'm not sure what it would do to the whole team dynamic so that's a risk. 

• Like 1