NOTW

George Floyd and the national racial justice conversation

That was disturbing. Hard to justify the actions of that cop. Curious what the actual cause of death was. Probably doesn’t matter given the optics.

He had a medical episode? I can see how kneeling on someone’s neck can lead to a medical episode. 

47 minutes ago, Toastrel said:

He should have tried not being quite so black.

insert Biden joke here

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

insert Biden joke here

Go for it.

nah i'm feeling lazy and i'd rather not give people one more reason to get their panties in a wad

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, greend said:

I always like that they get relieved with pay. I think my job should start punishing me like that

Did you see the video?  Someone mentioned they should call the cops...on those cops.  They needed to call 911, you literally watch them kill him slowly.  Insane.  

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Did you see the video?  Someone mentioned they should call the cops...on those cops.  They needed to call 911, you literally watch them kill him slowly.  Insane.  

I didn't watch it. I'm at work. I will though

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Took a chance and watched it. In fairness everyone always claims to have pain and or not be able to breathe when they get the cuffs on. That said though if he's in cuffs, on the ground, and not resisting anymore, why do you got to put your knee in his neck?

One of these times someone is going to bullrush the cop that's using excessive force

Really hard to justify the knee in the neck until the dude suffocates.  Terrible.

Clearly the cops are in the wrong. Can’t wait to see the spin though. 

Awful.

I thought choke holds and the like were against the rules for cops. Or maybe I just picked that up from Training Day.

Anyway, that video is horrible. I really can't imagine what justification the cops have for this. They can defend themselves in court, people are innocent until proven guilty, etc.

But, based on that video, they killed that guy. I hope this gets a real investigation.

• Like 1

Probably not going to be a popular opinion but this is just as likely to be a sh**ty cop thing as it is a race thing. Yeah, cops have a racism problem. That's well documented. But even more so they have a "terrible human being" problem. Most cops suck for all people that encounter them, whether you're white, black, brown... whatever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, greend said:

Took a chance and watched it. In fairness everyone always claims to have pain and or not be able to breathe when they get the cuffs on. That said though if he's in cuffs, on the ground, and not resisting anymore, why do you got to put your knee in his neck?

I don't see any rationalization.  His knee was on his neck.  The guy wasn't moving.  They weren't holding him down in a safer way.  At one point the cop said "get in the car" but he couldn't move and the cop didn't take his knee off him so how could he get in the car.  They were doing nothing to get this guy in the car, all the officers could have picked the guy up to get him in the car.  He kept his knee on him for such a long time, he clearly stopped moving and passed out.  It seemed the cop was just spiteful and sitting there waiting.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mayanh8 said:

Probably not going to be a popular opinion but this is just as likely to be a sh**ty cop thing as it is a race thing. Yeah, cops have a racism problem. That's well documented. But even more so they have a "terrible human being" problem. Most cops suck for all people that encounter them, whether you're white, black, brown... whatever.

stereotyping is ok for cops then....

3 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

stereotyping is ok for cops then....

I've shared my stories about interacting with cops on the old EMB. I have zero issue admitting I'm biased. I will say, in my defense, that entire department (including the cop I dealt with) was fired after being busted for mass corruption and discrimination.

But cops are paid specifically to ignore stereotypes and enforce the law fairly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

I thought choke holds and the like were against the rules for cops. Or maybe I just picked that up from Training Day.

Anyway, that video is horrible. I really can't imagine what justification the cops have for this. They can defend themselves in court, people are innocent until proven guilty, etc.

But, based on that video, they killed that guy. I hope this gets a real investigation.

Sad thing is we had this discussion with the Garner case as well

5 minutes ago, mayanh8 said:

The cop that was blocking people from getting close looked some type of Asian. Didn't look white

and they are human

do muslim terrorists make you think muslims are horrible human beings?

4 minutes ago, mayanh8 said:

I've shared my stories about interacting with cops on the old EMB. I have zero issue admitting I'm biased. I will say, in my defense, that entire department (including the cop I dealt with) was fired after being busted for mass corruption and discrimination.

But cops are paid specifically to ignore stereotypes and enforce the law fairly.

Sure, around here there are good and bad cops. Good ones care and still enforce the law. Bad ones it's all about how tough they are and they seem to dream about people resisting.

• Like 1