Zach Charbonnet (UCLA RB) -- DRAFTED BY SEATTLE #52

HazletonEagle

6'1'' 220lb Senior RB who should have come out in last years RB class, but should still be considered one of the elite backs in this class as well. Hes good.

Some highlights from before this season.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 12:54 PM, HazletonEagle said:

6'1'' 220lb Senior RB who should have come out in last years RB class, but should still be considered one of the elite backs in this class as well. Hes good.

Charbonnet, Bijan Robinson or Chris Rodriquez will do.......our current group of backs offer very little when it comes to yards after contact.

• 1 month later...

If they let Sanders go and this kid is still there at the end of the 2nd, he'd be a solid pick.  I doubt he'll still be there at the end of the 3rd.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 5:48 PM, ilikepargo said:

If they let Sanders go and this kid is still there at the end of the 2nd, he'd be a solid pick.  I doubt he'll still be there at the end of the 3rd.

A  solid pick? 

Dude is hands down the best back coming out, Bijan will not have the impact that Zach is gonna have.

I know there's a lot of ignorant GMs out there but I highly doubt he he'll last until late in the 2nd.

• 3 weeks later...

Long-term 12 personnel and a grinding run game might be the right complement to Swag’s skill set.

For context Anderson, Carter and Murphy were taken and DET came back up for Bryce Young (13+43+1st)… another Howie win.

While Charbonnet isn't the homerun threat that Sanders is, he has the ability to run through contact that might mean the number of explosive plays (10+ yards) are about the same.  Compared to a  prospect like Gibbs, he isn't the same level of a receiving threat - but given how little our RBs have been used in the passing game this might be a premium that isn't required.  Otherwise, he does a lot of the other things very well (good ball security, OK hands) - maybe more miles than I like but he'd probably have less touches/game at the pro level.

image.png

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Long-term 12 personnel and a grinding run game might be the right complement to Swag’s skill set.

For context Anderson, Carter and Murphy were taken and DET came back up for Bryce Young (13+43+1st)… another Howie win.

image.png

That would be a helluva draft.  

On 12/2/2022 at 10:17 AM, time2rock said:

That would be a helluva draft.  

You could make an argument that all of these guys can/will go earlier.  I guess my counter would be:

Bresee, some injury concerns, #2 DT, and JD went #13 despite being a freak.

Verse, because he came from the FCS is something of a 1-year wonder - although he does handfight well despite his lack of experience - the reports say his run/pass recognition has room for improvement.

Darnell, deep TE class and he hasn't been crazy productive.

Charbonnet, a little older with more miles, good RB class in general.

Cody Mauch, going to turn 24 next month, FCS level, armlength might push him to G (which I'm OK with, as we need interior depth/post-Isaac plan). 

58 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

You could make an argument that all of these guys can/will go earlier.  I guess my counter would be:

Bresee, some injury concerns, #2 DT, and JD went #13 despite being a freak.

Verse, because he came from the FCS is something of a 1-year wonder - although he does handfight well despite this.

Darnell, deep TE class and he hasn't been crazy productive.

Charbonnet, a little older with more miles, good RB class in general.

Cody Mauch, going to turn 24 next month, FCS level, armlength might push him to G (which I'm OK with, as we need interior depth/post-Isaac plan). 

Thoughts on Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech) instead of Verse?

Ditto Tucker Kraft instead of Darnell.  Not like we haven't had success with another TE from S. Dakota St.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Thoughts on Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech) instead of Verse?

Ditto Tucker Kraft instead of Darnell.  Not like we haven't had success with another TE from S. Dakota St.  

Wilson might not be the athlete that JPP was to get to the corner, but he has a ton of length and can cover ground.  He seems raw to me (lack of plan/hand usage), where a technician can take him out the play if they get into his body - like I've seen TEs do it.  If he puts it together, he likely has a higher ceiling then Verse.  Verse conversely is a handful throughout the rep now, can get to the corner early or counter - just not super freaky.

Kraft isn't Goeddert, not as nimble or comparable as a blocker.  I wouldn't take him in the 2nd (but maybe I'm missing his best games).  Darnell Washington is The Freak in this class and would be easy for Hurts to find - not a route running wizard, vertical threat or anything like that, but a post up player with decent hands that would be an extension of our OL in the running game.

• Like 1

I definitely want Zach, and argue he is the 2nd best RB in the draft this year.

On 12/3/2022 at 1:02 AM, astrofed said:

I definitely want Zach, and argue he is the 2nd best RB in the draft this year.

It's so funny, I just review several Top RB lists, not a one had him in the top 5, this ignorance is why so many say the draft is a crap shoot.  

Personally, I think The Terminator is the best back in the draft for the Eagles, I'm thinking we'll have to swap 1st round picks while picking up their 2nd to get him in the 2nd round.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 2:14 PM, Godfather said:

He's my favorite rb outside Robinson. Snag him in the 3rd

We're going to be drafting at the very end of the 3rd.  He's not likely to last that long.  If we want him (and I do), we'll probably need to get him at the end of the 2nd.

2 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

We're going to be drafting at the very end of the 3rd.  He's not likely to last that long.  If we want him (and I do), we'll probably need to get him at the end of the 2nd.

There are some dumb GMs out the but I don't think all of them are dumb enough to have Charbonnet lasting until the end of the 2nd.

If Myles Murphy isn't there at 10 I'd think I'd trade down to the middle of the 1st and pick up a 2nd and a 4th, this way you can get Charbonnet with the 2nd 1st and have 2 2nds while replacing the 4th that dumbarse traded away for a washed up DE. 

At the moment, Eagles look to have few picks, and many needs.  * I understand they will perhaps pick up some compensatories.

I've thought all along Sermon was brought here to compete in camp next season.  Sanders will get too many $ on the market, and is always dinged.

Love Charbonnet....... but Gainwell is being pushed as the starter and Scott may well return. Any "competition" at that spot will arrive via the dumpster.

14 hours ago, Greenakers2 said:

At the moment, Eagles look to have few picks, and many needs.  * I understand they will perhaps pick up some compensatories.

I've thought all along Sermon was brought here to compete in camp next season.  Sanders will get too many $ on the market, and is always dinged.

Love Charbonnet....... but Gainwell is being pushed as the starter and Scott may well return. Any "competition" at that spot will arrive via the dumpster.

I liked Sermon as a prospect - but he hasn't done anything in the league.  It's just as possible that he is a training camp cut as he is a contributor.  Gainwell did well down the stretch but he's a committee back, who's value is supposed to be as receiving threat.  Scott is a nice guy to have around on the vet minimum, but obviously replaceable.  You don't have to invest much draft capital to address RB, as good players will available into the 4th (as was Gainwell if memory serves).

I read the most productive backs in the league run at about 220lb; that could be matter of opportunity, durability or just prototypical size for the position.  Charbonnet has that, Gainwell doesn't.  If a premium option like Charbonnet isn't in the cards because other needs are prioritized, Gainwell is liked as a lead back in a committee, or you don't want to box out Sermon - I'd probably recommend Rodriguez out of Kentucky on Day 3. 

• 1 month later...

Offensive depth re-established, defense is going to need some help via free agency and JD, Milton, Dean stepping up.

image.thumb.png.efa8341f605a4f06c4e3c79d9616abba.png

16 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Offensive depth re-established, defense is going to need some help via free agency and JD, Milton, Dean stepping up.

image.thumb.png.efa8341f605a4f06c4e3c79d9616abba.png

Starting to think we don't go CB with that first pick just based on Howieism. You already know how I feel about a 2nd Round RB that can't take it to the house :)

2 hours ago, judunno said:

Starting to think we don't go CB with that first pick just based on Howieism. You already know how I feel about a 2nd Round RB that can't take it to the house 🙂

Yeah, we've been around the horn on the RB preferences... Izzy, got ya and not against it.

The podcast people seem to think that Howie might be able to turn over the couch to fins the $ to sign a top-flight CB (e.g., Byron Murphy), which would be very Howie.  If Witherspoon and Gonzalez go top-10, I'd be happy that he did.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 9:53 AM, Waiting4Someday said:

If a premium option like Charbonnet isn't in the cards because other needs are prioritized, Gainwell is liked as a lead back in a committee, 

You have got to be kidding me, Gainwell at RB1?  Scott is a much better option there.

As I've stated many times before, your best defense is a ball controlling offense, more than likely the Eagles defense isn't going to be vey good so keep them off the field with a strong running game. 

Charbonnet will allow the Eagles to control the ball by moving the chains with his outstanding running ability, the only advantage any other RB has over him is speed, all other aspects of the position I have Charbonnet being at the top.  Bottom line, I think he's the one player that will do more for the Eagles '23 season than any other player in the draft.

21 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

You have got to be kidding me, Gainwell at RB1?  Scott is a much better option there.

As I've stated many times before, your best defense is a ball controlling offense, more than likely the Eagles defense isn't going to be vey good so keep them off the field with a strong running game. 

Charbonnet will allow the Eagles to control the ball by moving the chains with his outstanding running ability, the only advantage any other RB has over him is speed, all other aspects of the position I have Charbonnet being at the top.  Bottom line, I think he's the one player that will do more for the Eagles '23 season than any other player in the draft.

Dude, you are quoting a post from 2-months ago when Gainwell was the best RB on the roster... and if you read that or any other posts here, you'd figure out I'm a fan of Charbonnet.