Mediocre Fantasy QBs thread

toolg

These are the lousy QBs on my roster and Free Agents available. Which one would you start this week and why?

Aaron Rodgers GB @ Bucs
Trevor Lawrence JAX @ Chargers
Jared Goff DET @ Vikings
Daniel Jones NYG vs. Cowboys (MNF)
Jameis Winston NO @ Panthers
Ryan Tannehill TEN vs. Raiders
Marcus Mariota ATL @ Seahawks
Geno Smith SEA vs. Falcons
Joe Flacco NYJ vs. Bengals
Mac Jones NE vs. Ravens
Jimmy Garoppolo SF @ Broncos (SNF)
Matt Ryan IND vs. Chiefs
Davis Mills HOU @ Bears
Cooper Rush DAL @ Giants (MNF)

Maybe it doesn't even matter, but I think I am trying to talk myself into Goff this week... Or am I just being silly?

Goff has been fantasy viable, but oddly so has Mariota. Not only does Mariota give you rushing yards, but that Seattle team from what I've seen of them so far is historically bad. I think it's a get right game for Atlanta and they put up a lot of points. Goff might be a safer play because he has more talent around him, but I think it's close between those 2. 

• Like 1

The key here is I am looking for potential points.

Rodgers at Bucs sounds scary enough to avoid if possible.
Lions/Vikings has one of the biggest o/u this week. This could be another week where the Lions go down big and Goff comes throwing back.
Matt Ryan, Colts/Chiefs, similar situation?
Titans/Raiders? Tannehill doesn't look like he's on the same page as his receivers.
Seahawks/Falcons? Any juice to squeeze?
Flacco is suddenly a Top 10 Fantasy QB.... But I think the Bengals D needs a game to get right.
How about Garoppolo?
Giants/Cowboys, Texans/Bears seems like games to avoid, to me.

The o/u is pointing toward Goff being your best option. This has been a tough year for QBs. There are only like 8 good ones. 

lawrence apparently. Probably would have voted Goff though. He’ll be a solid addition for remainder of season. 

Mariota had a good game too. After Stafford played another crap game, I'm going to need a QB as well. I'd like to pick up Lawrence but he might struggle against our birds. 

I went with Goff. He had a good first half, then trailed off for the rest of the game. St. Brown got banged up during the course of the game... Not sure how well Goff is without his favorite target. Situation worth watching if you have any interest in the Lions offense.

1 hour ago, toolg said:

I am mad I missed Lamar Jackson, guy two spots ahead of me got him. I played him this week. :rolleyes:

I've been playing fantasy football for over 25 years. In all that time this is the first year I remember there being so few good QBs. I waited too long to pick one. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Gannan said:

I've been playing fantasy football for over 25 years. In all that time this is the first year I remember there being so few good QBs. I waited too long to pick one. 

Me too. Once I missed out Lamar, Allen, and Mahomes... I went no QB until Round 10 in the draft. Clearly I settled for Rodgers.

It is a weird year that only a few QBs have settled at the top. It used to be you could pick any of the Top 10-12 QBs and they'd all be jumbled together around the same. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, toolg said:

Me too. Once I missed out Lamar, Allen, and Mahomes... I went no QB until Round 10 in the draft. Clearly I settled for Rodgers.

It is a weird year that only a few QBs have settled at the top. It used to be you could pick any of the Top 10-12 QBs and they'd all be jumbled together around the same. 

My logic was sound. Based on fantasy points per game last year there wasn't a huge difference between Josh Allen who led QBs with 23.7 pts per game and Stafford (who I took and had ranked as QB 11 at 19.4 pts per game. The drop off from RB 2's to Flex guys was much greater so I focused on filling my bench with guys like Zeke, David Montgomery, and Josh Jacobs. That depth is kind of nice to have but I'm 0-3. 

• Like 1

I might need to pickup Goff in some of my leagues. Wilson hasn't done ish, Rodgers has started slow and young wr play has been inconsistent, Dax is hurt

On 9/26/2022 at 11:15 AM, Gannan said:

so true so far. not a year to wait. 

Someone released Brady last week and I snatched him up. That paid off this week. 

I am currently carrying 3 QBs: Rodgers, Goff, and Lawrence.
I always start the wrong one.

• 2 weeks later...

Rodgers tweaked his thumb on the last play of the Giants game, Goff is on Bye... So Trevor Lawrence against the Colts this week? Is it even worth it to try Free Agency?

3 hours ago, toolg said:

Rodgers tweaked his thumb on the last play of the Giants game, Goff is on Bye... So Trevor Lawrence against the Colts this week? Is it even worth it to try Free Agency?

Gino Smith?

13 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

Gino Smith?

Missed my shot. He got picked up last week off waivers.

23 hours ago, toolg said:

I think Rodgers is supposed to play. I would trust him over Lawrence. 

• 2 weeks later...

Brady or Dak this week?

My gut says Dak, but looking at the matchups.... Dak didn't throw the ball much against the Lions netting me a whopping 12 pts. I've watched more Bears games than I care to this season and they tend to grind the tempo of the game way down with their running game. I could see this being a low scoring slog fest. Meanwhile, sure Brady sucked last week but he still threw for just under 300 yards.  Baltimore's games tend to be shootouts and I think a primetime game on Thursday could be another one. They tend to give up a ton of points and I just don't see Brady not throwing a TD 2 games in a row. My gut says Dak, but the analytics nerd in me says Brady. 

10 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Brady or Dak this week?

My gut says Dak, but looking at the matchups.... Dak didn't throw the ball much against the Lions netting me a whopping 12 pts. I've watched more Bears games than I care to this season and they tend to grind the tempo of the game way down with their running game. I could see this being a low scoring slog fest. Meanwhile, sure Brady sucked last week but he still threw for just under 300 yards.  Baltimore's games tend to be shootouts and I think a primetime game on Thursday could be another one. They tend to give up a ton of points and I just don't see Brady not throwing a TD 2 games in a row. My gut says Dak, but the analytics nerd in me says Brady. 

Brady is killing me, well, not totally, 6-1 in my biggest $$ league.

I really don't expect this to go on all season, and he will get hot eventually, hopefully in time for the fantasy playoffs.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Brady is killing me, well, not totally, 6-1 in my biggest $$ league.

I really don't expect this to go on all season, and he will get hot eventually, hopefully in time for the fantasy playoffs.

Me too. The QB position is brutal. The other weird strategy that 2 guys in my league employed was to horde them to screw over the rest of us. One guy has Mahomes and Burrow. Another guy has Allen and Herbert. They won't trade them. They are just sitting Burrow and Herbert to screw the rest of us 😛

There are a slew of guys on waivers that are up and down: Daniel Jones, Geno Smith, Cousins, Lawrence. I'm not sure I trust any of those guys more than Dak or Brady. I feel one or both of my guys will heat up toward the end of the season. 

On 10/25/2022 at 3:41 PM, Gannan said:

Brady or Dak this week?

I would start Brady for the reasons you state. Baltimore's secondary has been burnt several times this season. Brady has the potential to put up some big numbers. Frankly Dak looked a little rusty last week. He should've been better against the Lions, but Dallas committed to running the ball/being more contained on offense. I don't know if I trust Dak coming back from the broken thumb until I see it.

• Like 1

Welp. Brady looked pretty good for 1 quarter, then the offense fell off. Hopefully not a total loss. Good luck!

4 hours ago, toolg said:

Welp. Brady looked pretty good for 1 quarter, then the offense fell off. Hopefully not a total loss. Good luck!

He salvaged a bad game with a garbage time TD. 17 points out of a starting QB is good enough in this season of bad QB play.