Jaylen Waddle (Alabama WR) -- DRAFTED BY MIAMI #6

QBhunter58

For me it's Chase, Waddle then Smith.. actually I'm scared to death about Smith's stature for the NFL... just a feeling, nothing to back it up scientifically or anything other then those Todd Pinkston lower legs..  

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 1:33 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

How many Jaylens can a team have before getting cut off by the league?

Now I’m convinced he’s the pick. 

• Haha 2

On 1/10/2021 at 6:05 PM, Ace Nova said:

I don't see the allure, tbh.  Not in the 1st round, anyway....nowhere near the stats needed in college to deserve 1st round attention, imo.

DK Metcalf didn’t have great stats either. I wish we drafted him in the 1st round. 

Waddle could go as high as 7 to the Lions, especially with most of their WRs including Kenny Golladay hitting free agency.

I don't love the idea of using the 6th pick on him under ordinary circumstances, but this is a weaker draft class as a whole and by the time we get to 6 the Eagles will have to debate between guys like Waddle, Kyle Pitts, Patrick Surtain, etc...

I think there's a good chance both JaMarr Chase and Devonta Smith go in the top 5, reunited with their college QBs from a year ago. We can see as many as 3 QBs go in the top 5, although the Falcons are a bit of a wild card at 4 and could easily go in a different direction. Penei Sewell is a guy who could drop to 6, so do the Eagles take him and figure out what to do with Jordan Mailata and Andre Dillard later?

That tie with the Bengals in the regular season could very well be the reason why we miss out on both top 2 guys.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Waddle could go as high as 7 to the Lions, especially with most of their WRs including Kenny Golladay hitting free agency.

I don't love the idea of using the 6th pick on him under ordinary circumstances, but this is a weaker draft class as a whole and by the time we get to 6 the Eagles will have to debate between guys like Waddle, Kyle Pitts, Patrick Surtain, etc...

I think there's a good chance both JaMarr Chase and Devonta Smith go in the top 5, reunited with their college QBs from a year ago. We can see as many as 3 QBs go in the top 5, although the Falcons are a bit of a wild card at 4 and could easily go in a different direction. Penei Sewell is a guy who could drop to 6, so do the Eagles take him and figure out what to do with Jordan Mailata and Andre Dillard later?

That tie with the Bengals in the regular season could very well be the reason why we miss out on both top 2 guys.

This would be my biggest nightmare of a scenario for the Eagles.  Unless Sewell can move inside to LG and start in year 1, it would feel like the biggest misuse of resources and draft picks ever at the LT spot.  We still don't know about Dillard.  I think the Eagles almost need to give him more reps and playing time, unless Mailata absolutely destroys him in training camp.  Dillard was good at LT his rookie year.  Mailata has also proven that he can most likely start, and it wouldn't hurt the team.  It would be great if Mailata could be our swing tackle if Dillard proves to be the guy, and then he can replace Lane when he gets hurt.  

But I agree that Waddle may go at 7.  Goff without weapons on the outside would be an absolute disaster.  I wouldn't hate Waddle at 6 if both the other guys are gone., but the difference in talent between Chase, Smith, and Waddle compared to the next guy on our team is an extremely wide gap.  

12 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I'd trade back because for me I'm stuck in PAC-12 "Hard Pass" mode.

14 hours ago, hputenis said:

This would be my biggest nightmare of a scenario for the Eagles.  Unless Sewell can move inside to LG and start in year 1, it would feel like the biggest misuse of resources and draft picks ever at the LT spot.  We still don't know about Dillard.  I think the Eagles almost need to give him more reps and playing time, unless Mailata absolutely destroys him in training camp.  Dillard was good at LT his rookie year.  Mailata has also proven that he can most likely start, and it wouldn't hurt the team.  It would be great if Mailata could be our swing tackle if Dillard proves to be the guy, and then he can replace Lane when he gets hurt.  

But I agree that Waddle may go at 7.  Goff without weapons on the outside would be an absolute disaster.  I wouldn't hate Waddle at 6 if both the other guys are gone., but the difference in talent between Chase, Smith, and Waddle compared to the next guy on our team is an extremely wide gap.  

Yeah, as good as Sewell may be, I'm almost inclined to "reach" for Waddle at 6 because it would at least address an area of need. If the Eagles wanted to follow the Chiefs model, they could go with Waddle in the hopes that he develops into a Tyreek Hill type player with that sub 4.3 speed?  A player comparison on NFL.com compares him to Santana Moss. While Moss was a solid WR1, if not spectacular, you certainly would hope for better production out of the 6th overall pick, but I guess we could do much worse. I wouldn't hate the move, but would love it if one of the top 2 guys falls to 6.

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-jaylen-waddle-alabama-wr-reminiscent-of-santana-moss

I don’t care about need. This team is going to stink for years and they know it. Lurie said they are in rebuild mode. That means damn needs and select the best player. Sewell is better prospect than Waddle period. Plus if they draft him that tells you everything you need to know about Dillard, a guy they never met with prior to drafting. 

It’s more important to hit on good players than reach and fill "need.” We need everything at this point

On 2/10/2021 at 11:08 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

I don't foresee any possible way how Sewell gets past Cincy.  They need to protect Joe and a generational talent at OT is sitting there.  After Lawrence, Sewell is the biggest no brainer in this draft.  Here's how I foresee the first 5 happening barring any trades:

1- JAX Lawrence: duh

2- NYJ Wilson: Saleh decides he wants to start with "his" guy and gets an ok return for Darnold.

3- MIA Smith: reunite Tua with his Bama weapon.  They desperately need a playmaker on the outside, and recency bias plus QB familiarity has them go Smith over Chase.

4- ATL Fields: sits behind Matty Ice for a year as the heir apparent for the dirty birds.

5- CIN Sewell: HUGE no brainer for Cincy.  Protecting the franchise player is need 1A and 1B for this team.

In my opinion, that leaves the Birds with 3 potential studs at P6:

Ja'marr Chase WR LSU

Kyle Pitts WEAPON Florida

Micah Parsons LB PSU

All 3 of these prospects intrigue me more than Waddle.  I am truly torn between Chase and Pitts here (I know the Birds are not going LB in round 1).  But it's a good problem to have.  I want no parts of Surtain or Farley at 6.  If you can manage a small trade back (between P8-P12) I'd feel more comfortable there with Waddle, Surtain or Farley (and would prefer Farley to Surtain if they go CB).

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I don't foresee any possible way how Sewell gets past Cincy.  They need to protect Joe and a generational talent at OT is sitting there.  After Lawrence, Sewell is the biggest no brainer in this draft.  Here's how I foresee the first 5 happening barring any trades:

1- JAX Lawrence: duh

2- NYJ Wilson: Saleh decides he wants to start with "his" guy and gets an ok return for Darnold.

3- MIA Smith: reunite Tua with his Bama weapon.  They desperately need a playmaker on the outside, and recency bias plus QB familiarity has them go Smith over Chase.

4- ATL Fields: sits behind Matty Ice for a year as the heir apparent for the dirty birds.

5- CIN Sewell: HUGE no brainer for Cincy.  Protecting the franchise player is need 1A and 1B for this team.

In my opinion, that leaves the Birds with 3 potential studs at P6:

Ja'marr Chase WR LSU

Kyle Pitts WEAPON Florida

Micah Parsons LB PSU

All 3 of these prospects intrigue me more than Waddle.  I am truly torn between Chase and Pitts here (I know the Birds are not going LB in round 1).  But it's a good problem to have.  I want no parts of Surtain or Farley at 6.  If you can manage a small trade back (between P8-P12) I'd feel more comfortable there, and would prefer Farley to Surtain.

The Bengals SHOULD go with Sewell, doesn't mean they will. They could easily make the splashy pick of JaMarr Chase and sell it to the fanbase as reuniting Burrow with his college WR. I do agree with your top 4 playing out as listed though. 

2 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

The Bengals SHOULD go with Sewell, doesn't mean they will. They could easily make the splashy pick of JaMarr Chase and sell it to the fanbase as reuniting Burrow with his college WR. I do agree with your top 4 playing out as listed though. 

Then we take Sewell.  It's a good problem to have.  Trade Lane to a contender and go young with Sewell, Dillard, Mailata, Driscoll.

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Then we take Sewell.  It's a good problem to have.  Trade Lane to a contender and go young with Sewell, Dillard, Mailata, Driscoll.

Ooh OK now that I could get on board with. I like Sewell but given the current OT situation on this roster I'm not convinced by that pick. But trade Lane and yeah maybe...

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ooh OK now that I could get on board with. I like Sewell but given the current OT situation on this roster I'm not convinced by that pick. But trade Lane and yeah maybe...

He's head and shoulders BPA if he's there at 6.  Lane still has some value as a premier RT for a contender.

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

He's head and shoulders BPA if he's there at 6.  Lane still has some value as a premier RT for a contender.

As much as I would love to get either Devonta Smith or JaMarr Chase at 6, I have a hard time seeing Howie going WR with the 6th pick. Historically this team uses their top 15 picks on QB, OL, or DL since Roseman joined the team in 2000:

- DT Corey Simon (6th overall pick in 2000)

- DE Jerome McDougle (13th overall pick in 2003)

- DT Brodrick Bunkley (14th overall pick in 2006)

- DE Brandon Graham (13th overall pick in 2010)

- DT Fletcher Cox (12th overall pick in 2012)

- OT Lane Johnson (4th overall pick in 2013)

- QB Carson Wentz (2nd overall pick in 2016)

- DE Derek Barnett (14th overall pick in 2017)

Based on the guys projected to go in the top 10, I don't see DE or DT in the cards. QB unfortunately is very much a possibility. Penei Sewell and even Rashawn Slater are going to be on the radar for the Eagles at 6. Or maybe Roseman surprises us and give us the stud WR the fans want? 😎 

That would require him to admit to making a mistake in previous drafts though, so I'm not sure if he'll actually do it.

On 2/18/2021 at 2:03 AM, eaglesfan0075 said:

As much as I would love to get either Devonta Smith or JaMarr Chase at 6, I have a hard time seeing Howie going WR with the 6th pick. Historically this team uses their top 15 picks on QB, OL, or DL since Roseman joined the team in 2000:

- DT Corey Simon (6th overall pick in 2000)

- DE Jerome McDougle (13th overall pick in 2003)

- DT Brodrick Bunkley (14th overall pick in 2006)

- DE Brandon Graham (13th overall pick in 2010)

- DT Fletcher Cox (12th overall pick in 2012)

- OT Lane Johnson (4th overall pick in 2013)

- QB Carson Wentz (2nd overall pick in 2016)

- DE Derek Barnett (14th overall pick in 2017)

Based on the guys projected to go in the top 10, I don't see DE or DT in the cards. QB unfortunately is very much a possibility. Penei Sewell and even Rashawn Slater are going to be on the radar for the Eagles at 6. Or maybe Roseman surprises us and give us the stud WR the fans want? 😎 

That would require him to admit to making a mistake in previous drafts though, so I'm not sure if he'll actually do it.

Or they trade back multiple spots, fetch an extra 2nd and change and flat out take an edge rusher like Paye. 🤨

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Or they trade back multiple spots, fetch an extra 2nd and change and flat out take an edge rusher like Paye. 🤨

If they're trading back to the 8-12 range, I'm ok with Paye.  Here's what I see us needing this year:

DEF:

2 CB

1 S

1-2 LB

1-2 EDGE

OFF:

1 WR

1 TE

1-2 IOL

1 RB

1 QB

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

If they're trading back to the 8-12 range, I'm ok with Paye.  Here's what I see us needing this year:

DEF:

2 CB

1 S

1-2 LB

1-2 EDGE

OFF:

1 WR

1 TE

1-2 IOL

1 RB

1 QB

Yep, and you need a lot of draft picks to address those needs.

Piece of advise, Howie; Don’t take a QB in the first, roll with Hurts and see what you have in him, load up on draft picks this year and hit on as many as you can. Don’t get cute or try to outsmart everyone, just take the BPA at a position of relative need, listen to Weidl and Co (they’re the talent evaluators, not you). If you’re lucky, you come away with 4-6 quality starters for your " rebuild”. Re-evaluate the QB position after the season. If Hurts is not the guy, you have not one but likely two first rounders to get your man. This one’s for free, next time I charge you... 👊🏻

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The football world is sleeping on Waddle. He’s not even being talked about in his own thread.

Go back one year and Waddle was probably the highest regarded prospect of the bunch of the uber talented Alabama receivers. This guy is electric.

• Like 4

Alot of times, size doesn't matter. Its how they play the game with the physical tools they have. What is wrong with a 5'10" or 5'9"" receiver thats fast enough to melt the cleats off the bottom of his shoes. Size didn't  hurt no.10s carrer.

You can't  be a Mel Kiper clone and base judgment off stats alone. How many NFL stars tested poorly  but had good to great careerrs.

I think if the Eagles go receiver (big if) and it comes to Smith, Waddle, or Bateman. I would say its a toss up between Waddle and Bateman. I feel like of the 3, Smith is the most redundant. Smith brings rare speed/separation (something we hoped Reagor could bring) and bateman can become a monster on the outside.

Of course if Pitts is there, its a no brainer.

On 3/30/2021 at 2:28 PM, QBhunter58 said:

I think if the Eagles go receiver (big if) and it comes to Smith, Waddle, or Bateman. I would say its a toss up between Waddle and Bateman. I feel like of the 3, Smith is the most redundant. Smith brings rare speed/separation (something we hoped Reagor could bring) and bateman can become a monster on the outside.

Of course if Pitts is there, its a no brainer.

I like Waddle a lot but I'm not sure he and Reagor can play the majority of snaps together? I could be wrong but neither is an X receiver.