Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

So do they just play Hall at first full-time, or move Bohm to first and let Sosa play third?  

10 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Ugh

Well when harper gets back can likely have castellanos, schwarber, JT and harper play first on given days. Sucks to lose hoskins before the season even begins. More so on a ground ball to first. Might be the last time we see him in a Phillies uniform 

12 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

So do they just play Hall at first full-time, or move Bohm to first and let Sosa play third?  

Did Scott Kingery just make the 40 man roster?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Did Scott Kingery just make the 40 man roster?

I'd say that's a definite - he was on the fringe before this 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I would also expect Dombroski to make a move

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Jim Mcmahon played without ACL and wow you are really in the lead in posts here, I am a far second

That sucks. Feel bad for him. Seems like a good dude. Contract year as well for him which makes it worse. 

• Like 1

If I were Dombrowski I would call Colorado and check on the availability of CJ Cron 

He's a free agent after this season, hit 57 home runs the past 2 seasons and bats righty. 

Platoon him with Hall 

• Like 1

Sucks for Rhys I feel bad for him. Despite his struggles he seems like a good guy and had some big moments. However, this may be a chance to upgrade a spot that needs upgrading. He honestly doesn't belong on the field on an MLB roster his defense is so bad.

Not much available at first base, however I wouldnt rule out getting an outfielder with how the team is constructed now. If Castellanos is willing to play some first you have Scwharber and Nick and the DH spot to mix around to make it work. 

Schwarber failed miserably at first with Boston. I don’t see that as an option.

Having Bohm at first and Sosa at third against lefties is likely the best option. Hall gets all the ABs against righties. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Schwarber failed miserably at first

Like Hoskins but you won't hear that from the local media because Hoskins is a  nice guy, the media here has become soft, Hoskins is not a bad first baseman he is a disaster

Phillies and Nola have broken off contract negotiations.  If I’m the Phillies I don’t pay him ace money 

1 hour ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Phillies and Nola have broken off contract negotiations.  If I’m the Phillies I don’t pay him ace money 

And he goes out today and gives up 3 runs in the first inning, he is not an ace, number 2 money is what he deserves, too many bad games, if they let him walk they will sign a big name guy

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

And he goes out today and gives up 3 runs in the first inning, he is not an ace, number 2 money is what he deserves, too many bad games, if they let him walk they will sign a big name guy

5.4 ERA for the spring so far.  I want nothing to do with paying him big money 

• Like 1

Looks like they are going with Cave and Guthrie, barring any trades 

On 3/24/2023 at 8:37 AM, BirdsFanBill said:

Sucks for Rhys I feel bad for him. Despite his struggles he seems like a good guy and had some big moments. However, this may be a chance to upgrade a spot that needs upgrading. He honestly doesn't belong on the field on an MLB roster his defense is so bad.

Not much available at first base, however I wouldnt rule out getting an outfielder with how the team is constructed now. If Castellanos is willing to play some first you have Scwharber and Nick and the DH spot to mix around to make it work. 

Rhys is tricky.  Pathologically hot and cold.  Terrible fielder.  Combine the two and you get a controversial player.  OPS and HR stats are nice, an established .245 hitter isn't as nice.  I like the guy and he's still above average, but I think you aspire for a better bat from an inconsistent fielding 1b.

Somewhere along the line, Hoskins changed from being a patient hitter who took a lot of pitches and walked a decent amount into a guy who is too aggressive and doesn't walk enough. If you hit for power and walk a lot, you can get away with being a low(ish) average hitter.