Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Get our Trophy Back

Captain F

2 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Cool, cant wait to watch him in 7 years.

This is why I can't get into baseball everything is so damn slow from the game to the development

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

This is why I can't get into baseball everything is so damn slow from the game to the development

I love baseball just cant get into the draft ever.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

I love baseball just cant get into the draft ever.

I like it but like I said everything is so drawn out. My interest levels go up and down throughout a season

17 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Phils just got one of the most talented arms in the draft.

high school pitcher. Hope it works out, but I have a feeling I wont be hearing his name again anytime soon

With their third-round pick (87th overall), the Phils drafted shortstop Casey Martin, a right-handed hitter from the University of Arkansas. 

Martin was the 38th-ranked prospect overall in the 2020 draft by Baseball America. 

Martin (5-11/175) hit 30 home runs in 684 plate appearances for the Razorbacks. He's described as having a power-speed combo. He was drafted as a shortstop but some think he could end up at second base or in center field.

Here is a piece of Baseball America's scouting report on the 21-year-old Martin:

"Martin is perhaps the most toolsy college infielder in the 2020 class, with plus speed, arm strength, raw power and a chance for plus defense at shortstop as well. Typically, a college shortstop with that tool set goes among the top 10 picks. 

"What holds Martin back is his ability to make the most of those tools, with an overly aggressive approach at the plate and less consistency than teams would like in the field. There are significant questions about the quality of Martin’s hit tool and his approach."

Yea the biggest drawback to baseball is that following prospects is almost impossible unless you're a hardcore fan who follows the lowest level leagues. Draft a guy and never hear about him again for 5 years when he gets to AAA and then wait another 3 years for him to make the big leagues 

Well the Phillies went alllll about upside in this draft.  That's one way to do it, since in baseball, they are all projects anyway.  

Radcliff is perhaps the most interesting prospect of all.  He's got a sweet left-handed swing with enormous power and great athleticism.  Those could be the ingredients for a heck of a corner outfielder.  But he makes poor contact and he apparently doesn't field the position so well despite the athleticism.  

Great lottery ticket at that point in the draft.  But, of course, the last thing the Phillies need are more hitters at the corners who bat .210-.260.

He sounds like a lefthanded version of the guy they drafted in the first round about ten years ago who batted around .200 in the minors and never made the major leagues.

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Well the Phillies went alllll about upside in this draft.  That's one way to do it, since in baseball, they are all projects anyway.  

Radcliff is perhaps the most interesting prospect of all.  He's got a sweet left-handed swing with enormous power and great athleticism.  Those could be the ingredients for a heck of a corner outfielder.  But he makes poor contact and he apparently doesn't field the position so well despite the athleticism.  

Great lottery ticket at that point in the draft.  But, of course, the last thing the Phillies need are more hitters at the corners who bat .210-.260.

I think they drafted him with the proposed adoption of the DH in the NL in mind 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iladelphxx said:

I think they drafted him with the proposed adoption of the DH in the NL in mind 

He’s athletic enough that there’s no reason not to coach him up and see what happens as a corner OF.  But the DH transition only makes his odds better.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

He sounds like a lefthanded version of the guy they drafted in the first round about ten years ago who batted around .200 in the minors and never made the major leagues.

i think you are thinking of Larry Greene or Zach Collier. I believe Collier was left handed though so probably Greene 

7 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

i think you are thinking of Larry Greene or Zach Collier. I believe Collier was left handed though so probably Greene 

How sad is it that there was more than one possible answer? :lol:

9 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I was thinking of Hewitt.

5 hours ago, TV Guy said:

How sad is it that there was more than one possible answer? :lol:

2 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I was thinking of Hewitt.

Even sadder there was 3 answers 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Best story in baseball 

Screenshot_20200612-181245.png

Pretty sure it’s not happening 

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Pretty sure it’s not happening 

They could be the only major league playing games when people are desperate for a diversion.  Well done baseball.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mlodj said:

They could be the only major league playing games when people are desperate for a diversion.  Well done baseball.

It’s honestly not shocking both the mlbpa and the owners are greedy it’s a recipe for disaster cause baseball’s union is pretty strong it’s why contracts are what they are and no salary cap whereas hockey and nfl have a hard cap. 

• Like 1